OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:07:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 366085 times) Average Rating: 5
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2005, 11:07:47 AM »

Taking my first plunge into Tolkien... hobbit, then trilogy, then maybe more?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2005, 01:13:45 PM »

I'd start with The Hobbit, because it's a an easy intro (being primarily a children's book) and because it sets the stage so nicely for the LOTR trilogy.ÂÂ  I was very glad I'd read about Bilbo's "There and Back Again" adventure before launching into the trilogy, as wonderful as the latter is.ÂÂ  (Wonderful enough, IMHO, to merit several full re-readings over the years.)

Neat little piece of trivia:ÂÂ  In the original 1930s version of The Hobbit, the ring Bilbo finds is a neat little thing, but not terribly sinister.ÂÂ  It turns him invisible and all that, but it doesn't have the same corrupting power.ÂÂ  When Tolkien started writing the continuation of TH, he realized the ring would be The Ring of Power, the focus of the story.ÂÂ  So he went back and rewrote part of TH, having honest little Bilbo trick Gollum rather meanly to acquire the Ring, and lie to Gandalf about how he got it, to show its corrupting influence.ÂÂ  This is the version one finds in bookstores today.

As for me, I'm enjoying The Paul Evdokimov Reader.ÂÂ  Most impressive.ÂÂ  But I've taken a brief timeout to re-read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:14:17 PM by BJohnD » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2005, 01:47:55 PM »

I'd start with The Hobbit, because it's a an easy intro (being primarily a children's book) and because it sets the stage so nicely for the LOTR trilogy.  I was very glad I'd read about Bilbo's "There and Back Again" adventure before launching into the trilogy, as wonderful as the latter is.  (Wonderful enough, IMHO, to merit several full re-readings over the years.)   

This was the advice my friend gave me: Go Hobbit, Trilogy, then The Simarilion, then the Unfinished tales and whatnot.  Thanks for the trivia point, too!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
BJohnD

« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »

You're welcome.  "Trivial" is my middle name. 

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2005, 03:14:20 PM »

Eragon and Eldest are so great, aurelia - you'll enjoy the 2nd book! go to your local library, it'll be in the kid's/young adult section. and cleveland - makes me so happy you're makin your first foray into Tolkien! you wont be disappointed!

as for me, i am kinda nuts right now w/ my books....i am still rereading LOTR (i'm in Two Towers now), Chronicles of Narnia (Prince Caspian), Harry Potter (Half-Blood Prince), and now I have moved onto the next book I am up to in the Redwall series (Salamandastron)...and finally, at last i got my hands on the sequal to Gregory Maguire's book Wicked, called Son of a Witch, which i just started last night and I am so excited about because Wicked was wonderful. anyone who is into fairy-tales or kid's stories at all, I recommend his work - he rewrites common fairy-tales w/ an adult sensibility (Wicked is the Oz story from the perspective of the Wicked Witch of the West, starting from when she is a little green-colored baby - others include Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror Mirror, the 1st a retelling of Cinderella and the 2nd a retelling of, i think, snow white).

so, yea, im in fantasy land - best place to be when it comes to books Smiley

D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:16:09 PM by Donna Rose » Logged

hmmmm...
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

Son of a Witch,

I LOVED Wicked, I so want to read the sequel.  ave to pay off some library fines first though...bad me... Shocked
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »

C.S. Lewis and the Catholic Church by Joseph Pearce.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Juggler

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2006, 05:18:02 AM »

The Orthodox Way
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2006, 03:21:48 PM »

Starting on The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort (130 pgs, TAN books) and Baudolino by Umberto Eco- its gonna take me forever to get through this one- its small type and its like 520 pgs.
NicholasOhio

« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2006, 04:32:25 PM »

This was the advice my friend gave me: Go Hobbit, Trilogy, then The Simarilion, then the Unfinished tales and whatnot.  Thanks for the trivia point, too!

Fantastic choices all!  I tend to read LoTR about once every year or so, and have done so since ca. 1982.  During my time at CSU I took part in two marathon readings (for both The Two Towers and The Return of The King) held at Mather Mansion.  I got to read a lot of the Gollum sequences, and was nowhere near as good as what was in the last two films.  Good times nonetheless.

Right now I'm reading At The Corner or East and Now by Frederica Mathewes-Green, and am about to start The Living Bread by Thomas Merton.

N

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »

Right now I'm reading At The Corner or East and Now by Frederica Mathewes-Green....

So am I!  I'm on pg.103 at the moment.  I think she does a great job of weaving theology/praxis (and explaining it) with her narrative, but fails to really keep in mind that the actual praxis/ability of those in her own parish are beginners/amateurs wrt Orthodoxy and just doing their best - considering that she only has a few "cradle" Orthodox in her parish.  I'm enjoying the book - it is very light in reading and reads quickly.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2006, 06:19:51 PM »

I just re-read "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. Great peice.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
BJohnD

« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »

The Spiritual Counsels of Father John of Kronstadt, a 230-page "Reader's Digest" version of My Life in Christ.  I came across this book, a 1960s paperback in British-English translation, one evening before Vespers when I decided to take a peek at our parish's humble little library.  As soon as I opened it I became aware that it was exactly the book I needed to be reading right then, if you know what I mean.  It's an amazing work -- I highly recommend it or any similar distillations of MLIC.

(The book is old enough for the translator to have noted that while the "political situation" in the USSR had not permitted the MP to glorify St. John, the Church in Exile had done so.)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »

Recently finished:

Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros (English Version)
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Memoria de mis putas tristes by Gabriel García Márquez

Currently reading:

Apologia Against Those Who Decry Holy Images by St. John of Damascus
Christ in the Psalms by Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon
Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriacos C. Markides
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:35:06 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
NicholasOhio

« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »

So am I!  I'm on pg.103 at the moment.  - it is very light in reading and reads quickly.

I'm only on pg. 40 or so.  Just picked up a copy of Facing East as well, but I'm at least a week from being able to start on it.  My list is too long...I'll never get around to everything.

N
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2006, 12:43:06 AM »

Finished the book on C.S. Lewis. I had read the Chronicles of Narnia and a few of his other books, but I must admit that I had a bit of an idealized notion of the man. It was insightful reading not just about his good points, but also his faults. Especially interesting was the way that Tolkien and others sometimes spoke of/to him. Anyway, got some new books from B&N:

A Brief History of the Paradox: Philosophy and the Labyrinths of the Mind, by Roy Sorensen
Whose Bible Is It? A Short History of the Scriptures, by Jaroslav Pelikan
The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2006, 02:12:27 AM »

I just re-read "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. Great peice.

Me too- VERY thought-provoking.
 On another note- can't wait for someone to put the Silmarillion on the Big Screen.....it should cure insomnia as we know it!
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2006, 05:27:42 AM »

Just finished the entire series of the Chronicles of Narnia and now paraphrasing the stories for my young grandchildren ages 4 to 7. My ten year old grandson and I are reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe aloud and discussingthe theological basis of the book.  He is really doing well at it.  I am looking for a good spiritual study  and meditation for Great Lent---any suggestions.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2006, 05:30:12 AM »

Me too- VERY thought-provoking.

Indeed. It's very Orthodox as well. There are some disagreements I have with it, but I wonder how many of those are due to his actual theology as opposed to the inherent limitations of the metaphor.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2006, 01:21:48 PM »

The Orthodox Way

I just bought that yesterday to read after my priest recommended it. I've heard so many great things about it.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2006, 06:02:49 PM »

Listening to:

http://www.live365.com/stations/tobit
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2006, 03:46:12 PM »

Indeed. It's very Orthodox as well. There are some disagreements I have with it, but I wonder how many of those are due to his actual theology as opposed to the inherent limitations of the metaphor.

If you have time or inclination, would you please explain your thoughts here a bit?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »

Recently read "The Sword of the Prophet" by Serge Trifkovic

Next I'm probably going to read "The Crusades Through Arab eyes" by Amin Maalouf.

Sort of picking my way through "Dock in the Dock" C.S. Lewis.

Re-read the Chronicles of Narnia after seeing "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"

Just finished "Till We Have Faces" - by Lewis. What a wonderful book!

"The Inner Kingdom" by Bishop Ware - another wonderful book!

Read a couple of Roman mystery novels and some Jane Austen in between. I like diversification Smiley

Have a huge and rather daunting pile of reading for Lent. Shocked

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Zoe
Elder

« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »

Wisdom from Mount Athos: The Writings of Staretz Silouan

NI!!!!!!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »

A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking

Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »

If you have time or inclination, would you please explain your thoughts here a bit?

Sure. Some of the major things were the destruction of people, the fact that only some people in Heaven were "close enough" to help others, and there was one more, the biggest I think, but I can't recall what it was. Anyways, for the first, I am referring especially to the main with the mime on a chain, where he completely "poofs." I understand the point of the sin completely taking over, but it seems to be teaching that the sin "replaces" the person, whereas what actually happens is that the person is just controlled by the sin, but never gone. Also, the fact that only the "lower" citizens of Heaven were allowed/able to help newcomers, and that the holier ones couldn't even see them, was wrong; it is very backwards. Jesus Himself came to help that very type of people, and as we see in Orthodoxy, the more saintly peopel are in fact the ones that make most of an impact. (Again, sorry I can't remmeber the other problem.) But as I mentioned before, I am not sure if these are due to his actual theology of Heaven/Hell, or simply the limitations of the analogy he used.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
TomS
Banned
Archon

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

I am reading this book now:

The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195141830/103-7720416-3448648?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

It is very interesting.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »

Stonewall in the Valley: Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign, Spring 1862

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811720640/sr=8-1/qid=1141088829/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0037260-7689425?%5Fencoding=UTF8

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2006, 07:49:01 PM »

I'm now reading "Consoler of Suffering Hearts - The Life, Counsels and Miracles of Eldress Rachel, Visionary of Russia" by Archpriest Sergei Levedev.  I haven't been able to put this book down since I received it in the mail.  It is a beautiful witness of a beautiful Christian - one whom we can emulate.  Eldress Rachel's absolute faith in God has really encouraged me and touched my heart.  Has anyone else ever read this book?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »

I am not sure if these are due to his actual theology of Heaven/Hell, or simply the limitations of the analogy he used.

Thank you for explaining. I think that it was due to the limits of the analogy.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2006, 09:22:14 AM »

Reading just now HH Dalai Lama & Howard Cutler: The Art of Happines. A handbook for living.
I find Dalai a very exaiting personality. Once he said beeing a marxist as much as a buddist.
His Holiness is visiting next summer even the little country of Finland...

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2006, 12:48:50 AM »

Bone Wars: The Excavation and Celebrity of Andrew Carnegie's Dinosaur, by Tom Rea
Lost Christianities: The Battle for Scripture and Faiths We Never Knew, by Bart D. Ehrman

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »

"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad for my class.
Just finished "Pretender" by Cherryh, the lastest in her "Foriegner" series (It's SF)

Ebor

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »

"Living the Liturgy" by Father Harakas.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »

To Believe or Not to Believe: Readings in the Philosophy of Religion, E.D. Klemke
The Suffering Servant: Isaiah 53 in Christian and Jewish Sources, ed. B. Junowski, P. Stuhl Macher
Greek in a Nutshell: An Outline of Greek Grammar with Brief Reading Lessons, J. Strong
Australian Federal Constitutional Law: Commentary and Materials, G. Winterton, inter alia.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
The Wolf

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2006, 02:58:07 PM »

"Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad for my class.
Just finished "Pretender" by Cherryh, the lastest in her "Foriegner" series (It's SF)

Ebor

Conrad is one of the greats I love his work.
The Ni**er of the Narssisus is my favourite.
I also  love Thomas Hardy and am currently reading "The Trumpet Major".

Hamlet: 2. 2.Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?

Euripides: Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2006, 11:20:31 PM »

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, What is Goodbye? by Nikki Grimes, Simon and Garfunkel: The Biography by Victoria Kingston, and still workin my way slowly through LOTR (Tolkien) and the Time Quartet by Madeline L'Engle (I'm on A Wind in the Door).

I just read Holes by Louis Sacher in 2 very fast sittings this weekend...I highly recommend this Newberry Award Winner.

hmmmm...
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2006, 12:09:47 PM »

Ordered this book from my local library which they purchased:
Author Stamatis, Steven P.  
Title The Janissary factor-- in the name of God : a novel / by Steven P. Stamatis.  
Publication info. Baltimore : Publish America, c2004. http://catalog.kcls.org/search/Kstamatis&searchscope=1&SORT=D/Kstamatis&searchscope=1&SORT=D/1%2C2%2C2%2CB/frameset&FF=Kstamatis&searchscope=1&SORT=D&1%2C1%2C
This fiction novel is very pooly written but does have an interesting plot where a Janissary rebellion 200 years ago in Turkey ressulted in the Sultan eliminating the Janissaries as a guard force, however some were spared and organized a secret organiation with the goal of ethnic Greeks and others in the units assuming the identity of their Christian ancestors and working secretely to infiltrate the Partiarchy of Constanitinople with bishops who are secret Muslims trained in both faiths with the gol of having one of them become patriarch as a Turkish secret agent.  Of course the hero uncovers the plot and saves the Patriach who is obviously Bartholomew with the name of Timothy.  Not very well written and could have been done better.

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2006, 02:01:27 PM »

Krysostomos

I did not know that the dalai lama was any interest to an Orthodox Christian; since of Orthodox Christians are followers of Christ.

And you used the prefix HH in your description of this man. You can not mean 'His Holiness'...right?

I am assuming that either you were joking or I misunderstood what you posted. I pray that either situation is the case.

If you are truly reading with interest the thoughts of this man than I suggest that you speak with your Priest on this.

I was taught that the Orthodox church teaches reading books, watching videos or listening to people which are teaching ideas that are not consistent with the teachings of the Orthodox church are to be avoided; especially when they are teaching alternative means of procuring spiritual peace and relevance; and that during the great fast reading, watching TV an all other forms of entertainment should be avoided including listening to music or other oratory that is not particularly intended to enrich the growth of the Orthodox Christian spirit.
I do not know many people who follow this but it is still taught and kept strongly in Ethiopia and I find it good stewartship from the Fathers to help keep people focused on the fast so that the fast is not merely a 'vegan diet'. The point is that the EYES, EARS, STOMACH and all other parts of the body is to be subject to the fast...not just the stomach. Even the mind should not imagine profane things or silliness but focus on righteous thoughts and ideas.

Just a little advise to you and all (as well as myself).

On the subject I am reading 'God or nothing else' by HH (His Holiness) Pope Shenouda III; Patriarch of Alexandria and the the See of St. Mark. I just finished 'the seven words of Christ of the cross' also by HH Pope Shenouda III. This was an amazing book which like all of his books rings clear and enriches your faith in Christ and His Church.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2006, 02:17:39 PM »

Whew, this thread is too long for me to read all your responses in one sitting.  I guess I'll just chime in with my response.  I'm currently reading--for the fifth time--The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Excellent story! Smiley
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2006, 02:27:37 PM »

I read Holes some years back when I got it for my eldest, not long before the movie. I think it's wonderful (the movie isn't bad either, but the book is better).
Donna Rose
High Elder

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2006, 11:29:26 PM »

Yea I haven't gotten around to the movie Holes yet, but I am wary of the fact that Stanley is not overweight in the movie...I am a fan of the actor playing Stanley, and I think he has the right personality for it, so it may be okay. But I'll hafta wait and see...I suspect the book will have my heart on this one though, if it's between the book and the movie.

hmmmm...
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2006, 07:17:21 AM »

Krysostomos

I did not know that the dalai lama was any interest to an Orthodox Christian; since of Orthodox Christians are followers of Christ.

I am rc, who reads all kind of books - even orthodox ones...

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

This is just a thread to ask what everyone is reading.
At the moment I'm reading this thread.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »

At the moment I'm reading this thread.

SMARTASS!!!  Wink
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 12:28:52 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: