Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 457112 times)

Offline Aidan

Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #990 on: September 05, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
The Titles of Christ by Matthew the Poor

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #991 on: September 05, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:36:17 PM by Catherine »

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #992 on: September 05, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
Defeating Sin by Fr. Joseph Honeycutt.

Hellenica by Xenophon.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Douglas

• High Elder
« Reply #993 on: September 05, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
I'm completely Frank Schaeffer's triology: Portofino, Saving Grandma and now Zermat (the order in which they were written but not the proper chronological order). I've read Portofino (loved it) and Saving Grandma (hilarious) and now am about 3/4 of the way through Zermat (not the the faint-hearted and prudish, especially if sexual overtones and graphic details make you squeamish). I will say that the man can write a darned good novel.
Douglas no longer posts on the forum.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #994 on: September 05, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
How To Read A Financial Report by John A. Tracy

Profit By Investing In Real Estate Tax Liens by Larry B. Loftis

What No One Ever Tells You About Investing In Real Estate by Robert J. Hill

Magic Bullets In Real Estate by Dan Auito

What can I say?  I majored in Partyology in college; now it's time to get down to bidness.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Bono Vox

• The Orthodox Bagpiper
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #995 on: September 06, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »
"Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life" by Fr. Henri Nouwen

Although this is book was written by Roman Catholic priests, it is very good. I would highly recommend it to everyone.
Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
    • Facebook
« Reply #996 on: September 06, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #997 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

Although this is book was written by Roman Catholic priests, it is very good. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Fr. Henri Nouwen is a great author.  I have his The Return of the Prodigal Son.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #998 on: September 06, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »
Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5 Billion Year History of the Human Body, by Neil Shubin. A fascinating and entertaining read about the discovery of the Tiktaalik; the intermediate between fish and primitive land-living animal.

Some of the blurb from the back cover: Cleverly weaving together adventures in paleontology with very accessible science, Neil Shubin reveals the many surprisingly deep connections between our anatomy and that of fish, reptiles and other creatures. You will never look at your body in the same way again - examine, embrace, and exalt Your Inner Fish!

Also in the middle of reading the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire series and finding it very entertaining.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
« Reply #999 on: September 07, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »
The ascent of Mount Carmel - St. John of the Cross
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #1000 on: September 08, 2009, 05:08:01 AM »
I just finished Nick Saban's book How Good Do You Want To Be?

Nick Saban is the head football coach at the University of Alabama. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Nick Saban's book articulates philosophies and principles that are applicable to all walks of life and all professions.

One of his main points is focusing on the process rather than the result. He says that we cannot control the outcome, but we can control our effort, our attitude, our work ethic, and our mentality. The daily details that may seem insignificant are actually the things that determine the results and the outcome. Being faithful in marriage, being honest in the workplace, doing our best with what God has given us- these are the things that separate champions from the rest.

Regardless of whether or not you are an Alabama fan, this book will benefit you. I Promise!

Selam
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:09:36 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #1001 on: September 08, 2009, 05:56:36 AM »
Making  money by T. Pratchett, I'm taking an advantage of the fact that I've got three weeks of holidays left and I can spent some time on reading before I go to a University and I start to study.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:56:54 AM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:10 PM »

A good friend has recommended his works to me.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »

A good friend has recommended his works to me.

This sounds like a good read; it is definitely on my "must read" list.

Offline Douglas

• High Elder
« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
Currently reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
Douglas no longer posts on the forum.

Offline Pilgrim

• Elder
« Reply #1005 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »
Shakedown: How our Government Is Undermining Democracy in the Name of Human Right by Ezra Levant. A look into the corruption and abuse by the kangaroo courts we call Human Rights Commissions. A book every Canadian must read. Did you know that the CHRC regularely poses as neo-Nazis on the internet, releasing private info from court cases? They have the power to take info from what should be classified info on criminals at police departments without judicial permission. On at least one proven occasion (by their own admission), they even hacked into a PRIVATE CITIZEN's computer, without warrent, using it to enter neo-nazi websites. This is unacceptable. We are long overdue for revolt in this country, and the time is now!
Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #1006 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Currently reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
Saw the Movie. Fantastic and sad.

Offline mersch

« Reply #1007 on: September 09, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »

The Apostolic Fathers, based on the text of the Loeb classical Library  (online edition)

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #1008 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:46 PM »

The Apostolic Fathers, based on the text of the Loeb classical Library  (online edition)

There are online Loebs? That's great - how do you access them?

Thanks,

Liz.

(I am reading up on the battle of Heliopolis, and trying to nerve myself up to do some more serious study of Mary in the visual arts)

Offline mersch

« Reply #1009 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »

There are online Loebs? That's great - how do you access them?

Thanks,

Liz.

(I am reading up on the battle of Heliopolis, and trying to nerve myself up to do some more serious study of Mary in the visual arts)

Found it at Christian Classics Ethereal Library    site is www.ccel.org           I have spent a lot of time reading various articles and other stuff here at this site.  I don't know if they have all the Loebs online at this site or not, but the one I'm currently reading is here.

Offline rwprof

• Elder
« Reply #1010 on: September 09, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
Well, since buycotts are all the rage and there are all of these nuts boycotting Orson Scott Card, I picked up a copy of Ender's Game, which I haven't read since it came out (I also picked up a couple of novels by another author recommended to me, David Weber).

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1011 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
I'm reading Carlton's "The Faith" for a 2nd time.  This book is one of the most clear, interesting, and impactful catechisms written towards the western mind I've ever encountered.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #1012 on: September 09, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »
Bruce F. Katz's Neuroengineering the Future: Virtual Minds and the Creation of Immortality
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Pilgrim

• Elder
« Reply #1013 on: September 09, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
That sounds interesting to say the least. What does he say about future immortality?
Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1014 on: September 09, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »
That sounds interesting to say the least. What does he say about future immortality?

Not too far into it yet, but mostly focuses on immortality of the consciousness (also calls it our soul).  Advances in parallel computing could allow our consciousness to be free of the limitations of our organic brains, ushering in not only an age of exponentially increasing intelligence, creativity and memory retention but also a non-DNA-based immortality of humanity.  It is definitely interesting in light of Prof. Stephen Hawking's Life in the Universe lecture which discusses the possibility of mechanical lifeforms replacing DNA-based life.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1015 on: September 15, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
Gilgamesh and The Iliad for a class.  Next week it's The Odyssey
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #1016 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
Utopia -Thomas More

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1017 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

Not too far into it yet, but mostly focuses on immortality of the consciousness (also calls it our soul).  Advances in parallel computing could allow our consciousness to be free of the limitations of our organic brains, ushering in not only an age of exponentially increasing intelligence, creativity and memory retention but also a non-DNA-based immortality of humanity.  It is definitely interesting in light of Prof. Stephen Hawking's Life in the Universe lecture which discusses the possibility of mechanical lifeforms replacing DNA-based life.

This sounds absolutely frightening.  I hope I'm pushing up the daisy's when/if this ever comes about.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #1018 on: September 15, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »
Paternal Counsels, Volume 1 by Father Philotheos Zervakos

Touching Heaven:  Discovering Orthodox Christianity on the Island of Valaam by John Oliver
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1019 on: September 16, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »
This sounds absolutely frightening.  I hope I'm pushing up the daisy's when/if this ever comes about.

Different strokes, I guess.  The sooner the better in my eyes.  ;)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #1020 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »

Nothing but Gnosticism; it won't work. The human brain and mind are not two separate things, and they cannot be divided. Besides, I've lost too many important files to computer crashes to trust my soul to Bill Gates.

That said, the Trekkie in me is desperately looking for a real-life Dr. Soong.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #1021 on: September 16, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
"The Black Tower" by Louis Bayard.  I thoroughly enjoyed "Mr. Timothy" (about a grown up Tiny Tim Cratchitt) and have just started this.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #1022 on: September 16, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »
Just finished The Diary of Anne Frank and Bill Bryson's Made in America.  I'm thinking of rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower series next, or perhaps check something new off of the classics list.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline zoarthegleaner

• Elder
« Reply #1023 on: September 16, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
Democracy: The God that Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order  by Hans-Hermann-Hoppe

A Lion Among Men is the third novel in Gregory Maguire's The Wicked Years Series about OZ

It's Superman! by Tom DeHaven (Just finished)
Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1024 on: September 16, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
Nothing but Gnosticism; it won't work. The human brain and mind are not two separate things, and they cannot be divided. Besides, I've lost too many important files to computer crashes to trust my soul to Bill Gates.

That said, the Trekkie in me is desperately looking for a real-life Dr. Soong.

I have to disagree.  The brain is just a squishy, slow parallel system shooting around its own version of 1s and 0s.  :P  It has served us well, but it needs an upgrade.  Just think, we can punish criminals by uploading them into a Windows system, or a Mac, I'm not exactly sure which would be worse.  ;D

I hope, in an homage to classic sci-fi, they will at least call any synthetic brain created, a positronic brain.  :)

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #1025 on: September 17, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »
I hope, in an homage to classic sci-fi, they will at least call any synthetic brain created, a positronic brain.  :)
Doubt it. We didn't get the "communicator" but the "cellular phone"; we didn't get the "hypo spray" but the "dermal injection"; we didn't get the "dilithium nacelle" but the "antimatter rocket." So we'll probably have synthetic lifeforms, but the name will unfortunately not cater to sci-fi (note the correct spelling, Universal) fans.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Marat

• Elder
« Reply #1026 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »
I feel a little silly for asking this, since everyone seems to read higher quality books than this, but here goes nothing.

Has anyone read the "Sookie Stackhouse" books by Charlaine Harris? This is the series on which the show True Blood is based. I'm a fan of the show and I'm thinking about getting the books. I am particularly interested in reviews from anyone who has read them and watched the show. Books are always better, so I am anticipating this, but I understand there are some significant differences between the books and the show. I'm wondering how they compare.

I haven't read them but my wife has.  She loves both the books and the television series.  She is normally a slow reader but she devours the novels in just a couple of days reading before we go to sleep. 
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline basilthefool

« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
I just finished: A Guide to Orthodox Psychotherapy: The Science, Theology, and Spiritual Practice Behind It and Its Clinical Applications by Archbishop Chrysostomos. At the moment I'm starting Orthodox Psychotherapy by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos.

In addition, I'm slowly reading volume one of the Evergetinos, the Spiritual Psalter of St Ephraim the Syrian (OK, this is more of a regular spiritual discipline for me since I first read it last year - now on my third go), and Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness by Alva Noe (really just starting this one; received it as a gift!).

There are a couple of other books I'm considering to start on as well - I'm one of those people who seem to need to be reading several books at once, an unrecovered addiction from school days.

Offline Marat

• Elder
« Reply #1029 on: September 17, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »

I haven't read them but my wife has.  She loves both the books and the television series.  She is normally a slow reader but she devours the novels in just a couple of days reading before we go to sleep. 

Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear someone who loves the show enjoys the books so much. Reading them right before bed could lead to some unusual dreams.  :D I think I'm going to have to get them. Now that the season is over, I need some way to get my fix.

Offline Schultz

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1030 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
Your local library should have them, so go try out the first one and you won't be out $6 or so if you find out you don't like them :)

Offline Marat

• Elder
« Reply #1031 on: September 17, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »
Your local library should have them, so go try out the first one and you won't be out $6 or so if you find out you don't like them :)

I was going to but they don't have the very first one. It's been stolen or something. The same thing happened at the university library too.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #1032 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol. Actually, I read it last night -- only took about 15 minutes. ::)
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #1033 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
I just finished St. Athanasios' On the Incarnation.  I've been reading some modern poetry from anthologies I used during my undergrad days.  Marianne Moore, Gertrude Stein, Hart Crane, etc.  I'm still trudging through Moby Dick.  At about 300 of 600 pages.  It may take me as long as an actual whaling voyage.   I received in the mail and have started reading William Blatty's The Exorcist.  I also received in the mail Jesuit Saints and Martyrs, and I've been reading selections from there. 

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1034 on: September 18, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »

I love the books and consider them far superior to the TV series, which I have also enjoyed watching. The fact is, though, on ocassion I have wondered if the TV series is actually based on the Stackhouse books, at all. ;) Get the books; you won't be disappointed.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)