OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:50:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 360995 times) Average Rating: 5
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2005, 01:52:34 PM »

I just got done reading Harry Potter book 5 for the elevendy milionth time. Azn

other than that, soem essays by Amy Tan, my Introducing the Orthodox Faith homework pages and Esthers Easter Dress: A Young Girls Adventure Through Holy Week so i can get some basics on the Orthodox Easter things coming up. its a childrens book, but i am finding they are a wealth of information for those who dont know or may need a refresher course!

I was reading through the older posts, and i highly recomend learning Latin..it is SO easy!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:55:26 PM by aurelia » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2005, 09:20:03 PM »

Anybody have any good Lenten reading recommendations? I'm thinking of finding something by Fr. Alexander Schmemann.

Crucifer,

I have read "Great Lent" by Schmemann and I HIGHLY recommend it.  An amazing book.

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »

Monks and Laymen in Byzantium: 843-1118, by Rosemary Morris
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:29:40 PM by Paradosis » Logged
penelope
If I love the sea and all that is sealike, and love it most when it angrily contradicts me...

OC.net

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2005, 09:45:51 AM »

La femme et le salut du monde (Woman and the salvation of the world) by Paul Evdokimov, recommended to me by an older man who actually used to know Evdokimov personally.  I've only read the intro so far...

Let me love myself only if I love thee and do all things for thy sake.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2005, 11:31:43 AM »

Currently reading "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.  Is a bit slow in the beginning, but picking up speed now.  Seems I'm going to have to hit up Amazon.com for "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength," (was lucky to find "Out of the Silent Planet" in the "$0.50 a book salvage bin" at my parents' local library). 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2005, 11:49:39 AM »

Currently reading Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach.  It's a lovely 2400+ page book, fifth edition of course...oh wait...you mean interesting books....eh sorry I got nothin...

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2005, 02:50:21 PM »

Currently reading "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.  Is a bit slow in the beginning, but picking up speed now.  Seems I'm going to have to hit up Amazon.com for "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength," (was lucky to find "Out of the Silent Planet" in the "$0.50 a book salvage bin" at my parents' local library).

Oooh! i almost bought all 3 books at once w/ a Christmas gift card to B&N my bro gave me...decided instead to get more tolkien books lol...when ur done w/ the whole series, i'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on em Smiley

as for what i am reading now: Rosa - The Life of an Italian Immigrant. it's for class, but it's actually quite good and entertaining Smiley

hmmmm...
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »

Currently reading Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. It's a lovely 2400+ page book, fifth edition of course...oh wait...you mean interesting books....

laugh laugh laugh !!!

Well, there must at least be aspects of it that are interesting.....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 06:41:13 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2005, 06:47:05 PM »

Yes of course...if anyone would like information on how to quit smoking, get rid of that nasty cold, treat their asthma, COPD, dyslipidemia or hypertension...then come on down and join the fun! Wink

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2005, 06:56:05 PM »

Well, there you go!  We heard it here first.   Wink

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »

Now of course I am reading Great Lent, and also the entire Sacrament of Confession service.  *sigh* I have so much work to do.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »

Red priests: renovationism, Russian Orthodoxy, and revolution. by Edward Roslof
and
The Age of Reason by Sartre.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2005, 05:12:59 PM »

My spiritual father gave me the best obedience, many years ago (I still follow it), read the entire service before I attend that service.  This is something ideal for all readers.  We tend to be too busy "doing" the service to actually find the time to attend and pray the service.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »

In The Interest of Justice: Great Opening and Closing Arguments of the Last 100 years... by Joel J. Seidemann.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2005, 03:43:43 PM »

I have a nasty habit of keeping multiple books on the coffee table in various degrees of use. I  am trying to limit my reading to perhaps two at a time!

Currently I am finishing up MATTHEW'S Christian-Jewish Community by Anthony J. Salarini and I find it fabulous. I usually will read the Prologue of Ohrid for the day (if I can) and once in a while I will pick up my volume of the Collected Dialogues of Plato with the hope that I can get through a dialogue in a few days (usually when I am on vacation or have a long weekend).  I am hoping to read them all eventually, I have only finished five.

I started Dante's Divine Comedy, it's pretty deep and entertaining, it's in the queue for me to return to it when I finish the book about Matthew's Gospel.

This is all pretty hit-or-miss, I am not a very disciplined reader.

Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »

Ania
You will like Perelandra and That Hideous Strength - both are better reads than Out of the Silent Planet - it sort of sets the table for the other two books; That Hideous Strength is one of the ten best books all time that I have read!
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2005, 12:16:16 PM »

In The Interest of Justice: Great Opening and Closing Arguments of the Last 100 years... by Joel J. Seidemann.

I'll trade you my Property textbook for that one.  Property reading is not fun.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »

I'll trade you my Property textbook for that one. Property reading is not fun.

No deal... and an argument can be made that your offer could be construed as "cruel and unusual". lol  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Felipe Ortiz

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

For He was made man that we might be made God.

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »

Don Quixote- (struggling, but I will finish it... some day)

I hope you have already finished it, Ania!  Smiley It is indeed a hard reading (and much harder if you try to read it in Spanish), but it is marvellous... my favorite novel -- together with Swift's Gullivers' Travels.

I've not read it, so I can't say for sure, but if you're looking for Lenten reading by Fr. Schmemann, I've heard good things about Great Lent.

Yes, Fr. Alexander Schmemann's Great Lent is quite good.

I've just begun Hellenism, the History of a Civilization by Arnold J. Toynbee, a very interesting (and amazingly scholarly) historian of the first half of XX century. He seems to be somewhat forgotten nowadays; that's a pity. Toynbee was much more concerned with religion than the average historian. Though he was not an Orthodox Christian and many of his religious ideas were very far from Orthodoxy, his general approach and method can surely provide many insights to Orthodox Christians with a taste for history.

The first chapters of this book are great. The definition of Hellenism he presents in the first pages is: a civilization in which the city-state was the major cultural expression of the humanistic religious ideology. He defines humanism as an idolatrous (he indeed uses this word) worship of the man instead of God. And the goal of this book is to show the essential connection between the hellenic worship of man and the growth, the achievements, the collapse and the final fall of Hellenism.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 01:58:55 PM by Felipe Ortiz » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2005, 03:51:39 PM »

No deal... and an argument can be made that your offer could be construed as "cruel and unusual". lol  Wink

Not if you had taken the deal.  No harm to one who consents, remember?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »

just got done reading "Synchronicity" by Carl Gustav Jung.....very enlightening......makes you wander about the "materialism" which has sweld sway over the neurosciences for the past century.....

For a long time, I doubted the existence of "souls" (even being Orthodox).....now I may start believing in them again......

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »

Ania
You will like Perelandra and That Hideous Strength - both are better reads than Out of the Silent Planet - it sort of sets the table for the other two books; That Hideous Strength is one of the ten best books all time that I have read!

I gotta agree with you there on "That Hideous Strength."  I finished it last night (finally, never realized I was such a busy person until I tried finishing a book I really like).  It started out a bit slow but after the first 3 chapters I was hooked.  C.S. Lewis has a rather poetic quality to his writings, sometimes you can almost see a rhythm. 
Perelandra, the 2nd book, was a good read as well, and I highly recommend it. 
C.S. Lewis definitely makes you think on a more spiritual level, and his theological ideas are very sound. 

I also ordered "Father Arseny" from Amazon, but after reading some 30 pages, became rather tired of the poor translation.  I will try finishing it perhaps after Pascha, but I doubt I'll be finishing it very soon. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 03:28:33 PM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »

I hope you have already finished it, Ania! Smiley It is indeed a hard reading (and much harder if you try to read it in Spanish), but it is marvellous... my favorite novel -- together with Swift's Gullivers' Travels.

I have not finished Don Quixote, unfortunately.  It is sitting on my bookshelf between Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (which I've read) and Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot," (which I started, but also put aside), with it's bookmark still in place from where I stopped reading last fall.  After Pascha it's one of the books that I'll take up again, at least for another few chapters.  I'm sure the read gets easier as you go along. 

I've developed the habit of forcing myself to read a chapter of a book that is "good for me" every day, before going on to read a book that I want to read  (which usually isn't any good at all).  This way I at least get something edifying.  :-)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 03:35:25 PM by ania » Logged

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2005, 10:43:34 PM »

I am reading Jesus Before Christianity by Dominican Father Albert Nolan. I am almost half-way done and so far, this has been one of the best books on the person of Jesus that I have ever read. The message of Jesus on the Kingdom of God and how we are too build it is too often ignored. We become so fixated on Christ as an object of worship that we neglect His message that we must follow. This is not to say that we are not to worship the Son of God but He did say, "If you love me, follow my commandments". We cannot have right worship without right action.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:44:51 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2005, 02:14:41 PM »

An equally compelling book, Matthew is The Message and the Kingdom. One must put aside the assumption the authors seem to take uncritically from liberal New Testatment scholars that Paul created a different religion from Jesus and also one must put aside the authors' agnosticism regarding the resurrection, but for a clear picture of the brutal, grinding, oppressive nature of the Roman Empire along with Paul's social teaching there are few better books.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2005, 02:24:29 PM »

Just finished reading (back to back) "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware and "The Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church" by Patrick Parnes.

What a difference of opinion in their treatment of the heterodox!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »

Just finished reading (back to back) "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware and "The Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church" by Patrick Parnes.

What a difference of opinion in their treatment of the heterodox!

Was that a newer edition of TOC?  I have yet to (finish) the comparison article on orthodoxinfo between the versions.  I have The Non Orthodox and think it is a great book, but also think TOC is great as well.  I read an early edition of The Orthodox Church.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2005, 03:14:32 PM »

Has anyone read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »

Was that a newer edition of TOC? I have yet to (finish) the comparison article on orthodoxinfo between the versions. I have The Non Orthodox and think it is a great book, but also think TOC is great as well. I read an early edition of The Orthodox Church.

No, I believe I have the most recent edition...  I was unaware of the comparison article... yet another article to read!  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2005, 04:07:58 PM »

Collected Works: Volume 2; St. Francis, Everlasting Man, St. Thomas by G.K. Chesterton
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 04:08:34 PM by Paradosis » Logged
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright is what I'm currently reading. It's good, but it's rather lengthy being over 660 pages. It's a good answer to those "jesus seminar" types, but I've just ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com (including For the Life of the World by Fr. Schmemann) so I might take a break from JVG.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2005, 04:21:40 PM »

I believe I will finish The Way of a Pilgrim next. I read probably two books a week that are unrelated to school.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 04:21:52 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2005, 04:23:36 PM »

Jesus and the Victory of God by N.T. Wright is what I'm currently reading. It's good, but it's rather lengthy being over 660 pages. It's a good answer to those "jesus seminar" types, but I've just ordered a bunch of books from Amazon.com (including For the Life of the World by Fr. Schmemann) so I might take a break from JVG.

Jesus Before Christianity, as I understand it, is sort of a middleground between the historicists and the Jesus Seminar types. Though I do not agree with some of the opinions of the author, his assessment of how Jesus perceived the Kingdom of God and the message of the Kingdom is thought-provoking.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2005, 04:27:07 PM »

Heavy history...Giogorio Falco's The Holy Roman Republic

Got to understand where "they" came from too.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2005, 04:35:55 PM »

Has anyone read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future?

Yup, great book...and if you take it to heart, you should understand why we are preaching to you about speaking the Truth in love and all that jazz.  BUT, And this is a BIG But (no pun intended), remember that Fr. Seraphim is AN opinion and NOT NECESSARILLY the official Orthodox opinion.  But again, a great book.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »

I'm been wanting to read some Wright, but perhaps I will start with something a little shorter.

I've just started My God: A reappraisal of normal religious experience by Martin Thornton. At the end of the preface it says "I have collaborated with nobody and discussed it with nobody. Nobody has even read the proofs and offered valuable suggestions."
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2005, 05:55:40 PM »

I am also reading Creation and Time by Dr. Hugh Ross. Good stuff.  Afro
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 05:56:00 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2005, 09:53:28 PM »

I'm been wanting to read some Wright, but perhaps I will start with something a little shorter.
The first book in the series, The New Testament and the People of God was a little shorter, not quite 500 pages. It sets the historical background for the rest of the series. (The third is The Revelation of the Son of God.) I believe he does have some shorter books which I may read some day for review/summary. Smiley

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2005, 07:32:01 PM »

I am thinking about reading the Brothers Karamazov but perhaps it is a little too long for me to read right now. On the other hand, I read non-school-related books all the time. Perhaps I will check it out the the library today.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2005, 08:44:18 PM »

Reading Athanasius, The Life of Antony & the Letter to Marcellinus.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2005, 11:11:41 PM »

Normally I'm not much into comparitive religion (I have enough trouble learning enough about my own religion--there are so many good books out there), but I saw Encyclopedia of the World's Religions by R.C. Zaehner on the bargain table at Barnes and Noble today, so I bought it. If there was any hope that this book might be something a bit more conservative, that hope was dashed on the very first page of text, where I was informed that (supposedly) the idea that one religion is the true religion isn't believed by any "reputable theologian" anymore.* Leafing through the sections on Zoroastrianism and others, I could see that it doesn't get much better. In any event, I'll plow through it anyway. Smiley

I also bought a Journal today called Modern Age which seems to be an epistemological/educational publication... has anyone read this before, and if so would you mind sharing what you thought of it?

* To quote the book: "Selection, of course, is not considered to be arbitrary by those who deny that religions grow and change in major respects, and who maintain that the one true religion (ie. the one which the writer happens to subscribe to) sprang ready-made from God as Pallas from Zeus. But this view is no longer held by any reputable theologian, let alone by critical scholars." (p. 3)
irene

OC.net

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2005, 04:43:39 PM »

"Faith for a Lifetime" by Archbishop Iakovos!

Being fairly new to Orthodoxy, I didn't know who he was, but started the book, and couldn't put it down.   

Now, he is very close to my heart.   He writes as though he is speaking directly to you as a friend.

Now, I miss him as much as Pope John Paul II!   
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »

Rereading That Hideous Strength, then probably one of the multitude of books my girlfriend got for me, probably Les Miserables.

-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2005, 02:25:53 PM »

reading "Sophia" by Fr. Sergei Bulgakov....very enlightening

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2005, 02:49:53 PM »

I just finished reading St. Theophan the Recluse "The Spiritual Life and How to be Attuned to it " and
George S. Gabriel's Mary the Untrodden Portal of God.  Both were excellent.
I am currently re-reading Doestoevsy's Brothers Karamazov along with The Arena by Bishop Ignatius Brianchaninov, St. John Chrysostom's sermons on Wealth and Poverty and of course the New Testament

God bless you all,   Juliana
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: