OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:05:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 294697 times) Average Rating: 0
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #765 on: August 29, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »

Jeez..what did my dad put in this lamb tonight? Tongue

I don't know, but if you find out let us in on the secret!!  Grin Pray for me; I'm off out to take grandaughter for a driving lesson. Not good for the blood pressure!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09

« Reply #766 on: August 30, 2008, 08:33:13 PM »

Currently reading "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
It's listed as "teenage fiction", but I'm finding it quite brilliant. It's a "murder mystery" written from the perspective of 15 year old "Christopher" who has Asperger Syndrome. His concrete but logical thinking and inability to understand social cues and other's non-verbal communication both help and hinder his investigation of the "murder" of his neighbour's dog- and much more!

I read that book a few years ago and loved it.  I thought he was autistic?

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
DanM

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #767 on: August 30, 2008, 09:33:18 PM »

The present chapter is on "Toulmin Analysis" of arguments.

Treat yourself to Toulmin's book _The Uses of Argument_.  I have just started it; it's a gem. 
On the same Olympian peak find Sommer and Engelbretsen's _An invitation to formal reasoning:  The logic of terms_. 
DanM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:39:38 PM by DanM » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #768 on: August 30, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »

I read that book a few years ago and loved it.  I thought he was autistic?

Asperger Syndrome is a form of autism, I believe.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #769 on: August 30, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »

I'm busy with We Were Soldiers Once, and Young and On War.  Yay for the Chief of Staff's recommended reading list. Roll Eyes

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #770 on: August 31, 2008, 07:20:01 AM »

I'm busy with We Were Soldiers Once, and Young and On War.  Yay for the Chief of Staff's recommended reading list. Roll Eyes
I understand. I've got Communicating in Groups and Ethical Communication for the new classes I'm teaching, and Curriculum Planning and Handbook of Differentiated Instruction Using Multiple Intelligences: With Lesson Plans! for my master's class. Yea.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #771 on: August 31, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

Knitting stitch dictionaries.  I have the urge to make things but not the attention span.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #772 on: September 04, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »

Started Tolstoi's The Kingdom of God is Within You this morning. Found on page 1 why the Church condemned it and him...might not go further, too many books, so little time...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #773 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »

Started Tolstoi's The Kingdom of God is Within You this morning. Found on page 1 why the Church condemned it and him...might not go further, too many books, so little time...

I am with you on this.Smiley He is my favorite writer, my absolute number one - but ONLY as far as his "non-religious" writings go. I love his "War and Peace," "Anna Karenina," "Resurrection" (somewhat less), his "Kreutzer's Sonate," "Sevastopol Tales," "Kossaks," many of his short stories. But whenever he begins to philosophize and to write his own Gospels, I am out. Sad

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #774 on: September 04, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »

About to start Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera, the novel on which Andrew Lloyd Webber based his world famous stage musical of the same name
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #775 on: September 04, 2008, 06:30:21 PM »

Maria Matios, "The Nation." (In Ukrainian: Марія Матіос, "Нація.") Hard to define the genre: it's not a novel and not a collection of stories, but something "in between." A large amalgam of fiction, memoire, poetry, again fiction, and again memoire, written over a long period of time (between 1994 and 2006), focusing on a huge extended family and its friends and neighbors living in several villages in the Carpathian mountains. The story goes back to the times when it was still Austro-Hungarian Empire, and ends in the year 1990. The author's special attention is on inter-ethnic relations, particularly Ukrainian-Romanian and Ukrainian-Jewish, and on the participation of Carpathian Ukrainians (especially women and young girls) in the heroic UPA guerilla resistance to Soviets in 1944-55.

Amazing author, amazing language (very beautiful Ukrainian with lots of interesting Bukovina dialectisms), amazing style - sometimes very Marquezian, where the border between real and surreal is somewhat murky.

Love never fails.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #776 on: September 04, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »

Yevgeny Zamyatin's We.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #777 on: September 05, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

Just finished "Knife" by Vuk Draskovic.  Book was banned by the communists in 1982 when it was written.  Truly a brilliant book.  One of the best I've read. 

Book Description

"Knife," by Vuk Draskovic, created a furor when it was published in 1982, long before the beginning of the Balkan Wars of Succession. The novel was condemned by the Communist Part and subsequently banned. "Knife" is the first of his novels to appear in English.

Alija Osmanovic, the protagonist of "Knife," was orphaned during WWII as an infant. He was raised as a Bosnian Muslim and came to believe that Serbs killed his family. When, as a young medical student, he goes in search of the identity of his murdered birth parents, a sense of thwarted justice motivates him, and expresses itself as a burning passion for revenge. Alija seeks out Sikter Effendi, an eccentric and reclusive Muslim cleric, to help him interpret the clues pointing to his identity. Through his mentorship, Alija discovers the truth: that his heritage is Serbian; that he was born not far away but in a neighboring village; and that his adoptive family was guilty of murdering his birth-family. A crisis of identity ensues. Each possible course of action open to him is bad. How is he to go on?

Alija's story is counterpointed by Milan Vilenjak's. He has been training all his life to exact revenge from Atif Tanovic, an Ustashi who single-handedly murdered Milan's entire family. But once Milan has the opportunity to end his enemy's life, he recoils, having discovered that Atif is a human being, a man who exists apart from his monsterous acts, a man who is troubled by his bad conscience. Tanovic, an avowed war criminal, is a repulsive villain who is to be prosecuted and punished, but Draskovic persuades us to sympathize with him. Who cannot admire the profound transformation that occurs when Atif argues against war and the slaughter of innocents? He embodies Draskovic's underlying theme: each act of revenge is a suicide.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #778 on: September 05, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

For those of you who like detective fiction, I recommend Boris Akunin's Sister Pelagia and the White Bull Dog and Sister Pelagia and the Black Monk.  The sleuth in these two novels is a Russian Orthodox nun, Sister Pelagia and the stoies take place during the late 1800's in Russia.  Boris Akunin is a Russian (Georgian) author whose previous novels revolve around a Russian detective Erast Fandorin.  All of Akunin's novels are a good read if you like detective fiction.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #779 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »

Knitting stitch dictionaries.
Why are you knitting stitch dictionaries? Has your word processor died? Seems to me it would be easier to write them by hand.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #780 on: September 05, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »

Why are you knitting stitch dictionaries? Has your word processor died? Seems to me it would be easier to write them by hand.
Congratulations, George. You are now qualified to be a teacher. Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #781 on: September 06, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »

Knitting stitch dictionaries.

LOL... I should learn by now to be clearer.   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #782 on: September 06, 2008, 06:58:14 PM »

LOL... I should learn by now to be clearer.   laugh

Cheesy I can only imagine the joys of being married to a teacher!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #783 on: September 06, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »

Ozgeorge, you smart-donkey.  LOL

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #784 on: September 07, 2008, 02:28:50 AM »

A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery
by E. Benjamin Skinner

Proverbs 22:7
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #785 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »

A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery
by E. Benjamin Skinner

thanks for the tip on this book. It looks like it covers a topic that people should know more about.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #786 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »

He works with Kevin Bales, the author of "Disposable People"

Proverbs 22:7
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #787 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

Death and the Dervish - Mesa Selimovic

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Acolyte

Faith: The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Jurisdictionalism is sin.

« Reply #788 on: September 11, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »

Since it appears to be a ritual on this forum to post in this thread, I will do so before I pursue other things.

The Kingdom of God is Within You - Leo Tolstoy

The Essential Chomsky - Noam Chomsky

Objectivism, The Philosophy of Ayn Rand - Leonard Peikoff

Since I'm bored focusing on one book at a time, I like to have a good list of books during a particular time.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #789 on: September 11, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

I admit it, I'm reading the Left Behind series, now on Tribulation Force.  My reason: to find out if it's really as bad as people say it is, or if they're just making unfair attacks.  I knew the theology was bad, but then I started hearing that it said other Christian faiths besides the evangelicals were getting "left behind."  Then there was that "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" game.  I couldn't properly evaluate the criticisms here: http://www.talk2action.org/section/religious_war without knowing what's really in the books.

What I've discovered so far: 1) If you don't say the right prayer, carry out the salvation "transaction," you get left behind.  2) If you don't believe the right doctrines, you get left behind.  The Pope only got raptured because he was a heretic trying to introduce Luther's doctrines.  3) If you don't believe in the premillennial dispensationalist interpretation of Revelations, you get left behind.

Of course, it's so badly written that--after reading http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/left_behind/index.html and watching some old episodes of Mystery Science Theater: 3000--I can't help cracking jokes as I read.

SiviSokol

Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #790 on: September 11, 2008, 09:41:51 PM »

That's a good one!  It's been a while since I've read it, though.  A friend (and former professor of mine) did an English translation of it.

I'm trying to plow through Boswell's Life of Johnson but haven't gotten very far.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #791 on: September 11, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »

Objectivism, The Philosophy of Ayn Rand - Leonard Peikoff

I've not read that one, but I did find Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology rather interesting.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #792 on: September 12, 2008, 08:35:40 AM »

That's a good one!  It's been a while since I've read it, though.  A friend (and former professor of mine) did an English translation of it.

I'm trying to plow through Boswell's Life of Johnson but haven't gotten very far.

I've got some Ivo Andric lined up right behind Selimovic (having just finished off Draskovic's Knife).

Although... I've got to tell you, I'm NOT a huge fan of Selimovic's writing style.  I find him slightly pedantic (or at least he is in this book).

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #793 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »

I admit it, I'm reading the Left Behind series, now on Tribulation Force.  My reason: to find out if it's really as bad as people say it is, or if they're just making unfair attacks.  I knew the theology was bad, but then I started hearing that it said other Christian faiths besides the evangelicals were getting "left behind."  Then there was that "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" game.  I couldn't properly evaluate the criticisms here: http://www.talk2action.org/section/religious_war without knowing what's really in the books.

What I've discovered so far: 1) If you don't say the right prayer, carry out the salvation "transaction," you get left behind.  2) If you don't believe the right doctrines, you get left behind.  The Pope only got raptured because he was a heretic trying to introduce Luther's doctrines.  3) If you don't believe in the premillennial dispensationalist interpretation of Revelations, you get left behind.

Of course, it's so badly written that--after reading http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/left_behind/index.html and watching some old episodes of Mystery Science Theater: 3000--I can't help cracking jokes as I read.

That's my major gripe with the series:  It's just so badly written that I can't take any of the doctrine seriously anyway.  The theology and eschatology is way off, but I couldn't even get beyond the corniness to really think about that.  I started reading the series when I was still Baptist and I admit I really liked it at first because I was interested in eschatology but once I started gravitating toward Orthodoxy I lost interest in it.  I finished out the series just to say I had, but I laughed through the entire last two books.  I also couldn't get over the irony that "God's chosen ones" were toting automatic weapons and shooting up the Antichrist's offices.  Some godly force.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:24:10 AM by EofK » Logged

jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #794 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

St. Silouan the Athonite by Archimandrite Sophrony.  So far it is excellent and edifying!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #795 on: September 12, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »

Pride and Prejudice (I have the Austen anthology)
The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and Women's work (short lecture by Kathleen Norris in print form)
Love Never Ends: Growing together in Faith and Marriage (my husband and I are reading concurrently while he is in Colorado)
Cranford Chronicles

With the above books, as well as all the homeschooling books I am going thru, it will likely be quite awhile before I finish them all.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:45:41 PM by Quinault » Logged
SiviSokol

Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #796 on: September 12, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

I've got some Ivo Andric lined up right behind Selimovic (having just finished off Draskovic's Knife).

Although... I've got to tell you, I'm NOT a huge fan of Selimovic's writing style.  I find him slightly pedantic (or at least he is in this book).

I think that was the point, as a psychological/moral study of Nuruddin.  What of Andric's will you be reading?  I really enjoyed Na Drini Cuprija, but I think I liked Travnicka Hronika better.  It's been more than 10 years since I've read either, though...maybe now I'd have a different opinion.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:15:04 PM by SiviSokol » Logged
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #797 on: September 12, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »

I think that was the point, as a psychological/moral study of Nuruddin.  What of Andric's will you be reading?  I really enjoyed Na Drini Cuprija, but I think I liked Travnicka Hronika better.  It's been more than 10 years since I've read either, though...maybe now I'd have a different opinion.

I have both (except I have the English translations - The Bridge on the Drina & The Days of Consuls), but was going to read Drina first.

As for Nuruddin and Selimovic's examination of him, I get it but I find myself not caring enough at times.  It's kind of like a very mild case of Dobrica Cosic (who I find intolerable to read).  I guess I like a bit more of a superficial read than Selimovic offers. lol

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #798 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:13 PM »

That's my major gripe with the series:  It's just so badly written that I can't take any of the doctrine seriously anyway.  The theology and eschatology is way off, but I couldn't even get beyond the corniness to really think about that.  I started reading the series when I was still Baptist and I admit I really liked it at first because I was interested in eschatology but once I started gravitating toward Orthodoxy I lost interest in it.  I finished out the series just to say I had, but I laughed through the entire last two books.  I also couldn't get over the irony that "God's chosen ones" were toting automatic weapons and shooting up the Antichrist's offices.  Some godly force.   Roll Eyes

Oooh, I can't wait to get to that part.   Cheesy

Quinault, I love Jane Austen!  I've been through all the books at least 3 times by now, and I've also read a couple of biographies.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #799 on: September 13, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell but Tucker Max, truly a god amongst men. My brother who never reads anything longer than a billboard recommended it to me, so I had to give it a go. Easily one of the best books I've ever read...I'm only about a third of the way through and it's already been a life-changing experience. A lot of the stories are available for free on his website, but the book's certainly worth the 10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Hope-They-Serve-Beer-Hell/dp/0806527285/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221317192&sr=8-1

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #800 on: September 16, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »

The text book for my Comparative Govenments class

The Tenor Wore Tapshoes  third in a series of light murder mysteries where the main character is the Police Chief of a small town in western North Carolina, the organist and choir director at the local Episcopal Church and wannabe Raymond Chandler who writes really bad 'hard boiled detective' stores in which the protagonist is a "Liturgy Detective".  Some very funny bits for me and the other Anglicans I know who've read it.

A Walk in Kumamoto a memoir and study of the wife of Lafcadio Hearn and her life with him.

Just finished
The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold alternate world fantasy set in an Europe late medieval/early Renaissance time frame that takes religion seriously as part of the people's lives and doesn't disrespect the idea of belief.  Not Christianity, but still well written and thoughtful.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #801 on: October 01, 2008, 07:35:16 PM »

One Flew over the Onion Dome: American Orthodox Converts, Retreads & Reverts, by Fr. Joseph David Huneycutt

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
OrthodoxPilgrim

Faith: Anglican/Marthomite transitioning into Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

Till All are One !! - Optimus Prime

« Reply #802 on: October 01, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »

- Grant Morrison's All Star Superman Vol. 1
 - Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith we Defend - Ravi Zacharias
 - I, Isaac take thee, Rebekkah: Moving from Romance to Lasting Love - Ravi Zacharias

...I read one chapter of a book one day and another chapter of another book, the next day.....and so on....  Grin
Sophie

« Reply #803 on: October 02, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »

Just finished Absolution by Murder, by Peter Tremayne, a crime novel based on the actual Synod of Whitby. Before that, read The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar, a story about two Indian women of different social class.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #804 on: October 02, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

I've enjoyed a number of the Peter Tremayne "Sister Fidelma" mysteries.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:26:38 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »

A non-fiction book, partially related to my teaching job: J. Langnan, "Ten Steps to Improving College Reading Skills." Townsend Press, 2003 (4th ed.), 612 pp., ISBN 1-59194-004-4.

Love never fails.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #806 on: October 17, 2008, 07:37:08 PM »

I am currently reading The Solzhenitsyn Reader edited by Edward Ericson and Daniel Mahoney, The Friend of the Bridegroom by Sergius Bulgakov, and Through a Glass, Darkly by Donna Leon.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #807 on: October 17, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »

- I, Isaac take thee, Rebekkah: Moving from Romance to Lasting Love - Ravi Zacharias

What'd you think of this book?  I really enjoyed it over the summer.  I particularly enjoyed the story with he and his brother talking about love.  He may be Protestant, but he makes a lot of great points on love and marriage; and his sincerety shows.

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:10:18 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #808 on: October 17, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »

Just about to start Partakers of the Divine Nature: The History and Development of Deification in the Christian Traditions. It has essays on deification in the Bible, the early church, the reformers, and modern times.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #809 on: October 17, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

I am reading The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Manmade Landscape by James Howard Kunstler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geography_of_Nowhere
The Geography of Nowhere: The Rise and Decline of America's Man-Made Landscape is a book written in 1993 by James Howard Kunstler exploring the effects of urban sprawl, civil planning and the automobile on American society. The book is an attempt to discover how and why suburbia has ceased to be a credible human habitat, and what society might do about it. Kunstler proposes that by reviving civic art and civic life, we will rediscover public virtue and a new vision of the common good. 'The future will require us to build better places,' Kunstler says, 'or the future will belong to other people in other societies.'
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: