OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:26:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 390179 times) Average Rating: 5
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #720 on: May 27, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

Been slowly working on A Noble Task: Entry into the Clergy in the First Five Centuries
by Lewis J. Patsavos (Translated by Norman Russell)

My Canon Law professor's doctoral dissertation for the University of Athens (hence why it needed to be translated).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #721 on: May 27, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »

I have just started read Blessed John the Wonderworker.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #722 on: May 30, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »

For a bit of lighter reading Installing Linux on a Dead Badger by Lucy Snyder  geek humour with a bit of the macabre (employing zombies as tech support for example)

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #723 on: May 30, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »

geek humour with a bit of the macabre (employing zombies as tech support for example)

That's not real?    laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #724 on: May 30, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »

For a bit of lighter reading Installing Linux on a Dead Badger by Lucy Snyder  geek humour with a bit of the macabre (employing zombies as tech support for example)

Ebor

LoL, I have never heard of this book before.  I am going to have to find a copy.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

Started two new books recently. One is Jesus: A Life by A.N. Wilson. It's hardly orthodox, but it is at least an engaging read (which sort of reminds me of his biography on Paul). The second book is Scripture and Tradition by Archbp. Chrysostomos and Bp. Auxentios. Of the Orthodox books on this subject that I've read, I remember this one being the most helpful, so I figured I'd buy it and read it again. Luckily I snatched it up for $5, as the only other copy now on Amazon is $153.97!
MaryCecilia
Struggler

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: currently attending an Antiochian parish

« Reply #726 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:54 AM »

Currently i'm finishing up reading Star Trek TNG Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman. It's alright as far as Star Trek books go. Late in May i read "7th Heaven" by James Patterson which i thought was pretty good... i have been enjoying reading murder mysteries and sci fi/star trek books lately.

mary

Mary Cecilia passed into eternal life on Jan 2, 2010.  May her memory be eternal!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #727 on: June 04, 2008, 03:13:40 AM »

Still into light reading at the moment. Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel" and thought it a little on the unbalanced side, but a pleasant read all the same. And I've just about finished three of Paul Doherty's books about political intrigue and murder in Ancient Rome set just after St Constantine has become emperor of the west.

Murder Imperial 
The Song of the Gladiator 
The Queen of the Night 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #728 on: June 04, 2008, 03:42:37 AM »

Just finished "Ragamuffin Gospel"

You might like his Abba's Child.  I say might because it's been 4 years since I've read it so I don't remember much about it.  I seem to recall that I did enjoy it at the time though.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #729 on: June 04, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »

Thanks, Gabriel. I'll have a look at that. I did like the Ragamuffin, but it seemed just a little unbalanced; though I understood his need to get the point across that God is unconditional in His love and we should be, too. It was a nice read.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #730 on: June 09, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »

I'm finally starting to get some Orthodox books to read! Grin I've been reading The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos over the past few days (also reread this critique of it), and just today I got The Sayings of the Desert Fathers in the mail.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #731 on: June 09, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »

My favorite Steinbeck work is Cannery Row.  His characters are described so richly and descriptively that it's easy to 'see' them.  He understands the human condition very well and I think most people can identify with at least parts of his characters or at least his narrative.   

Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!

Love never fails.
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #732 on: June 09, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »

I just finished Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" (in Russian, http://www.wco.ru/biblio/books/lossk1/Main.htm).
I started reading Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church (in English) this weekend.
I'm about halfway through William Rosen's Justinian's Flea.  And for fun, I'm reading Noah Charney's The Art Thief.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:07:54 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #733 on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

This month's bon appetit.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #734 on: June 09, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »

Hear, hear! And also "Sweet Thursday"!
Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #735 on: June 10, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »

I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.

For me it was the opposite... to each his own, I suppose Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:59:40 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #736 on: June 10, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »

Can you believe that I've never read Sweet Thursday?  And here I call myself a Steinbeck fan!  Really, though, I've read a great many of his fictional work and he's honestly, thus far, my favorite American author.  As for foreign authors, well, I'm no xenophobe, but I don't know whom to begin with.  I've read The Brothers K and liked it, but I'm having a rough time with Crime and Punishment.

"Sweet Thursday" is a sequel to "Cannery Row." Very much the same style, and many heroes are the same. Incredible sense of humor, humility, lightness...

Love never fails.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #737 on: June 12, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »

Let us begin to really belong to the Orthodox Church of Christ.  Our ‘membership’ is not enough.  Something must move within us that makes us different from the world around us… even if that world calls itself ‘Christian’ or even ‘Orthodox.’  Let us keep and nourish those qualities of the true Orthodox worldview – a living, normal attitude; loving and forgiving; not self-centered; preserving our innocence and un-worldliness; even with a full and humble awareness of our own sinfulness and the power of the worldly temptations which surround us.  If we truly live this Orthodox worldview our faith will survive the shocks ahead of us and be a source of inspiration and salvation for those who will still be seeking Christ even amidst the shipwreck of humanity which has already begun today.

-Seraphim Rose, Living the Orthodox Worldview, August 8, 1982

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #738 on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

I just wrapped up Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey, and have moved on to its sequel, Kushiel's Justice.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #739 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

The Well-Crafted Argument  the text book for the ENG102 class that I *have* to take as they've changed the rules since I was young and now everyone has to have a class in what we used to call "Freshman Comp."  The present chapter is on "Toulmin Analysis" of arguments.

also today I read some Usagi Yojimbo   Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #740 on: June 27, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »

After watching Disney murder Prince Caspian last weekend, I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia again.  Starting with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, of course.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #741 on: June 27, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »

I never believed anyone could turn Lewis' masterpiece of defeating prejudice and living the Christian life even when God seems far away into such a bloodbath. That movie is not for children at all. Fortunately, the books are still as fantastic as ever.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #742 on: June 27, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

I never believed anyone could turn Lewis' masterpiece of defeating prejudice and living the Christian life even when God seems far away into such a bloodbath. That movie is not for children at all. Fortunately, the books are still as fantastic as ever.

Agreed, it was all battle scenes and none of the actual storyline.  But, that's Disney and Hollywood for you.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »

They did the first one better, but I guess redemption and defeat of evil are more Hollywood-friendly themes than tolerance and perseverance.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #744 on: June 27, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

Currently The Isaac Play by Margaret Frazer (who also wrote the Dame Frivisse series), the first in a (relatively) new series by her about a group of English play performers in the mid-15th century.  I like the way she writes but there's WAY too much backstory going on.  The main crisis (a murder, natch) doesn't occur until almost 1/3 of the way through the book.  I'll give the next one in the series a try but if it's the same, I'll be leaving this one behind.

Anne Rice's Christ the Lord is up next.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #745 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »

I just wrapped up Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey, and have moved on to its sequel, Kushiel's Justice.

Finished Kushiel's Justice a few days ago and have started on the last book, Kushiel's Mercy.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #746 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:41 PM »

Finishing up reading The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F.F. Bruce, which wasn't as good as I figured it'd be. Also just started reading An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law (sorry Ozgeorge, that's the title Smiley ), by Prof. Dr. Panteleimon Rodopoulos.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #747 on: June 27, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »

I have just read St. John Chrysostom's "Homilies on Genesis" (in a Russian translation). It took me quite a while to get used to St. John style; at first, I was irritated because it seemed to me that he is too verbose and not really focused, that his thought jumps from subject to subject. But then, eventually, I did get used to his peculiar style. After all, we are talking about someone who lived in the late 4th century A.D. (when they definitely had different idea about what's good analytical writing), and someone who was famous for being a "rhetor," a public speaker-propagandist rather than a scholar-logocian. I think I benefited a lot from reading this book. Many interesting, deep thoughts, especially about the nature of God's so-called "punishments" (which are always, as St. John emphasizes, "therapeutic" rather than vindictive). Also, I was pretty surprised that there is almost no Platonism in this work. Chrysostom does not, for example, speak about "coats of skins" as the indication that the pre-lapsarian human body was "ethereal, light," but became "stout" after the Fall. In his mind, it seems, the consequence of the Fall was not a physical, but a psychological change in the humans, the emergence of certain wild, un-quenchable desires.

Love never fails.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #748 on: July 01, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »

I'm into Gore Vidal's Julian.  It is very anti-Christian (not to mention anti-Orthodox), but it is extremely well written and I'm enjoying every page of it.  I'm also counterbalancing it with G.W. Bowersock's Julian which is an actual historical biography.  I recommend both.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #749 on: July 05, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »

I'm currently reading Elder Zosima, Hesychast of Siberia. Its very good; almost done with it. I think next on the list is either Talks with Father Paisios or Heavenly Realm: Lay Sermons of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:13:44 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
aquaticus

« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2008, 11:11:40 PM »

Right now I'm reading "The Shape of the Liturgy" by Gregory Dix. It is an excellent book covering the development of Christian liturgical worship from penacost to the middle ages. It is a 750 page tome in small print so it should hold me a while.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #751 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:59 PM »

I've finished both Talks With Father Paisios and Elder Hadji-Georgis. I loved both of the books and strongly recommend them both. Smiley I'm reading Elder Joseph the Hesychast: Struggles, Experiences, Teachings which I'm about half way through it is very good. I've been looking at any books about monasticism especially stuff on Elder Paisios or Elder Joseph the Hesychast and other Athonite Fathers, I'm soon going to get Monastic Wisdom: The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast along with Athonite Fathers and Athonite Matters by Elder Paisios.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #752 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »

Currently reading "The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time" by Mark Haddon.
It's listed as "teenage fiction", but I'm finding it quite brilliant. It's a "murder mystery" written from the perspective of 15 year old "Christopher" who has Asperger Syndrome. His concrete but logical thinking and inability to understand social cues and other's non-verbal communication both help and hinder his investigation of the "murder" of his neighbour's dog- and much more!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:22:56 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #753 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:30 PM »

^ Interesting. I had a student with Asperger's a couple of years ago. She was a sweet kid when she had a good day, but she was so easily frustrated that I had to create a deal with her that she could sit in the hall by herself when she felt she had to be alone. This agreement helped to calm her, but she still missed out on a lot of instruction.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #754 on: August 28, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »

At the bookstore the other day, I was thumbing through Why People Die by Suicide by Thomas Joiner.  Dr. Joiner lost his father to suicide in 1990 and the book develops a models as to why people commit suicide, one of which is the increased tolerance for pain while negating the self-preservation instinct.

I'm also waiting for the 2nd Edition of Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace by  Jo-Ellan Dimitrius & Mark C. Mazzarella.  I read the 1st Edition until I lost the book.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #755 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »

"New Lies for Old" and "The Perestroika Deception" by Anatoliy Golitsyn. Here's a link to full text in English (PDF file):

http://www.conspiracyresearch.org/forums/index.php?s=f5bd0e72b4cee04eb3a2afe3f5e1190b&act=attach&type=post&id=452

The books are, essentially, a compillation of memoranda sent to the CIA and other Western agencies by a former KGB officer in the years 1961-1989. Overall, might seem a bit "alarmist" or even "conspirationist," but a very interesting read. Quite a thought-provoking work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:04:34 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #756 on: August 29, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »

I'm re-reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore, and reading for the first time LOAMHEDGE by Brian Jacques. Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #757 on: August 29, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

"Dark Lord of Derkholm", by Diana Wynne Jones.

"Emotional Vampires", by Albert J. Bernstein, Ph.D.

"Encountering the Mystery", by His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.

The "Harry Potter" series for the umpteenth time; in preparation for the release of film #6; which, I hear, has been delayed.  Angry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:06:34 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #758 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »

The "Harry Potter" series for the umpteenth time; in preparation for the release of film #6; which, I hear, has been delayed.  Angry

LOL, I haven't even read the first book.... Lips Sealed

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #759 on: August 29, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »

LOL, I haven't even read the first book.... Lips Sealed

Well, that's very naughty of you!!!!  Grin

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #760 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »

Well, that's very naughty of you!!!!  Grin

(bows repeatedly before Riddikulus) I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Cheesy

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #761 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »

(bows repeatedly before Riddikulus) I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Cheesy

Glad to see that you realise it!!  laugh

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #762 on: August 29, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »

Glad to see that you realise it!!  laugh

of course!....(sneaks glances at a Harry Potter movie on her phone) Tongue
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:08:23 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #763 on: August 29, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »

of course!....(sneaks glances at a Harry Potter movie on her phone) Tongue

Oh no!!  Shocked You have to read the books first - no cheating!!!!   laugh

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #764 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:30 PM »

Would it be cheating if I got Star Trek's Data to read the book for me at his accelerated pace, and...skim it down for me? Grin
Jeez..what did my dad put in this lamb tonight? Tongue

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: