Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 2320108 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #6300 on: June 02, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
Last weekend it would have been the local mediaeval fair (which has been deferred to September), so I kept reading my Enchanted Living magazine stash to console myself.

Now the IFA summer reading challenge has kicked off, which means it's going to be a steady diet of indie fantasy for the next 3 months. and this is the first.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6301 on: June 03, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

The plot is: Pope [Francis] dies and a new pope needs to be elected; lots of scheming and voting follows. (Semi-spoiler: strange twist shoehorned in at the end.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All things cry out about you
those which speak, and those which cannot speak
all things honour you
those which think, and those which cannot think.
For there is one longing, one groaning, that all things have for you.
All things pray to you that comprehend your plan
and offer you a silent hymn.
In you, the One, all things abide
and all things endlessly run to you
who are the end of all.
And you are the One, and All, and none of them--
being not one thing, not all things
(Hymn 1, 1, 29; PG 37, 507-08)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:52:22 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6302 on: June 08, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
Shame by Shelby Steele
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Kierkegaardian absurdity
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6303 on: June 08, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
Sorry Fr. I never finished the 300 Chapters. (back to that then, I think I was on #50 or I might as well start from #1)

The Jesus Prayer was quite prominent in the Nouwen book, though.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6304 on: June 09, 2020, 09:03:17 PM »
Hinds' Feet On High Places by Hannah Hurnard
Already choking up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:05:10 PM by Ainnir »

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6305 on: June 10, 2020, 05:08:00 AM »
Inherited husband's tablet, gave the reading app on there a trial run with three short stories in one evening:

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6306 on: June 11, 2020, 12:24:08 AM »
The new book by Fr. John McGuckin out this year (The Eastern Orthodox Church: A New History) has a dust jacket that has such a waxy feel to it, eww. I mean, yeah, only barbarians read books with the jackets still on, but how does something like this even exist?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Καλό Πάσχα!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6307 on: June 14, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »
Greece : Biography of a Modern Nation / Roderick Beaton.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6308 on: June 16, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »
A bunch of pieces on race and racism from the archives of The Atlantic.

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: True Faith™
« Reply #6309 on: June 29, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
Howard Zinn - A People's History of United States

Listening on Audible. I asked for recommendations on US history
books on some thread few years back and this was what came up.  I like it thus far but it seems like a political commentary as much as history. Slightly annoying even if I didn't disagree with the author.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6310 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:39 PM »
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've read anything attempting a general history of the U.S. since Jr. High... nearly 30 years ago :-[ I just picked up an older version of this one on eBay for $3.75, so back to school time...

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #6311 on: June 30, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
^Same for me when it comes to history of Finland. I always felt our history was boring compared to, say, Middle East. I realized at some point that I've forgotten much of what I've learned and bought this one. Still waiting for right moment.  :angel:

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6312 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:57 AM »
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've read anything attempting a general history of the U.S. since Jr. High... nearly 30 years ago :-[ I just picked up an older version of this one on eBay for $3.75, so back to school time...

I'm lucky in that there's a site where I can download all the Greek textbooks in current use for free. I should have a read at some point, because there have been at least two rewrites since I was in school.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6313 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
https://www.thereadingrush.com/

You have 4 days to prepare. Good luck.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6314 on: July 15, 2020, 06:18:35 PM »
https://www.thereadingrush.com/

You have 4 days to prepare. Good luck.

I wish, but having that on top of reading for the IFA challenge and writing for Camp NaNo would be suicidal.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #6315 on: July 15, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
I used to challenge myself to beat the summer total I read between junior and senior year in high school.

That was 37 books.

I've never come close to it since.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6316 on: July 15, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »
I used to challenge myself to beat the summer total I read between junior and senior year in high school.

That was 37 books.

That's awesome!! 

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6317 on: July 15, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »

That was 37 books.

I managed 29 last year for IFA, although most of them were shorter works, under 100 pages (hey, they counted!) Once you're the parent, rather than the kid, there's no such thing as summer break anymore.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6318 on: July 16, 2020, 12:45:44 AM »
That was 37 books.

Dang  :)

I wish, but having that on top of reading for the IFA challenge and writing for Camp NaNo would be suicidal.

Well good luck with that stuff then!

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #6319 on: July 16, 2020, 05:13:07 AM »
I'm probably taking this way too seriously but I've often wondered do people who read much actually read those books from cover to cover and whether they only read fiction. Maybe I'm just lazy or slow reader but reading tens of books in a relatively short period seems impossible.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6320 on: July 16, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
I'm probably taking this way too seriously but I've often wondered do people who read much actually read those books from cover to cover and whether they only read fiction. Maybe I'm just lazy or slow reader but reading tens of books in a relatively short period seems impossible.

Cover to cover, fiction and nonfiction. I schedule in at least half an hour of reading time a day. Even if I only make it through 50 pages during that time, that's still a full-length book a week.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Σφάλμα μεγάλο
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #6321 on: July 16, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »

Cover to cover, fiction and nonfiction. I schedule in at least half an hour of reading time a day. Even if I only make it through 50 pages during that time, that's still a full-length book a week.

With a couple of exceptions, I don’t think I’ve ever managed 50 pages in half an hour.  Like Alpo, I’ve chalked it up to the kinds of books I tend to read and the speed at which I read (which seems slower than most, which I also attribute to book type). 
Person.  Woman.  Man.  Camera.  TV.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6322 on: July 16, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Like Alpo, I’ve chalked it up to the kinds of books I tend to read and the speed at which I read (which seems slower than most, which I also attribute to book type).
Right. The material must make a difference. If one is are reading in a foreign language (eg. Russian for me), it goes slower. If it's in one's own language with a topic one is familiar with, it goes faster. So for instance, compare an advanced medical textbook with a 4th grade biology book.
Some people seem to have a special knack for fast reading large volumes of material. Maybe their retention rate is less if they go too quick.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6323 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »

With a couple of exceptions, I don’t think I’ve ever managed 50 pages in half an hour.  Like Alpo, I’ve chalked it up to the kinds of books I tend to read and the speed at which I read (which seems slower than most, which I also attribute to book type).

I find I can read a lot faster on the Kindle than on paper, as my eyesight is not what it used to be. Even in nonfiction, a page hardly ever takes me more than a minute. I tend to cruise through a book at first read, then go back and reread if necessary. Pace matters a lot, but that's just my reading style.

Offline Alpo2

« Reply #6324 on: July 16, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
I tend to read several books at a time. Probably contributing to the slowness of reading. I also haven't been scheduling specific time for reading but looking to change that by logging off from internet more often and switch the online time for books and articles.

Currently (pretending to be) reading:
Hieromonk Damascene - Christ the Eternal Tao
Agatha Christie - The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Jonas Gardell - Never Wash Tears Without Gloves
Che Wung'en - Journey to the West (thanks Iconodule)
Arnold Bennet - How to Live 24 Hours a Day

That's more fiction than usual. I figured I needed some light reading and I don't think ever read Agatha Christie and it was free on my ereader's (Rakuten) store. First is just general fandom of Fr. Seraphim Rose. Would strongly recommend etc.  Third is an old favourite. A fairly heart-breaking story of AIDS epidemics of Sweden. Fourth was recommended on some thread here and I haven't read anything from China before. Last one I found from Cal Newport's book I read earlier. I used to hate self-help but some has it's use. Also free but from Project Gutenberg.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:07:30 PM by Alpo2 »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6325 on: July 22, 2020, 12:58:31 AM »
2 days into the Reading Rush, I've read 356 pages so far... and I'm still way behind where I need to be to hit my goal of finishing all the books by the end of the week. Probably should have went with a poetry collection and a graphic novel or something in place of two of the larger books. ;D

The Nickel Boys, by Colson Whitehead
All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy
Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights, by various writers
A Guide to St. Symeon the New Theologian, by Hannah Hunt
Hidden Bodies (You, #2), by Caroline Kepnes

I guess if there's a bright spot so far it's that I'm not bored by any of the books (though Hidden Bodies is going to be a hate read)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Ethiopian Jew
« Reply #6326 on: July 22, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
I am reading the plain text of English literature.
The local court Representative said my new name was Ghana M. Ghat.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6327 on: July 23, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
https://www.authorhouse.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/697915-Rebel-Song

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6328 on: July 27, 2020, 12:44:59 AM »
A Guide to St. Symeon the New Theologian, by Hannah Hunt

I forgot how much of a renegade he was  8)

Hidden Bodies (You, #2), by Caroline Kepnes

One of the worst books I've ever read. I am so glad the TV show basically changes almost everything about this except the names and the location (and carries over the characterization of the main character from the first season).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:46:22 AM by Asteriktos »