OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 06:07:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 293851 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #630 on: January 27, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »

I've decided to get my M.E. degree, so this week I've begun Classroom Management: Models, Applications, and Cases by Manning and Bucher for my first class. As far as textbooks go, it's pretty good. I've noticed that most education textbooks are easier to study from than those of other disciplines. Maybe it's because they know teachers will be reading them. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:23:35 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #631 on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »

If schedules go as planned I should finish a collection of Dostoyevsky's short novels this week and then begin his Poor Folks - the only major work of his I've not read at least once. After this I will take a break from the Big D.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #632 on: January 28, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »

The Federalist Papers.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #633 on: January 28, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »

Hello,

The Federalist Papers.

If you like that, you'll probably also like the Anti-Federalist Papers. That is the viewpoint of the other major side of the story.  Wink

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #634 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »

Just received my copy of "There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind" By Antony Flew.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #635 on: March 06, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »

Just placed a Light & Life order for myself and hope to start reading:

Orthodox Spirituality: A Practical Guide for the Faithful and a Definitive       Guide for the Scholar by Dumitru Staniloae

Mary, The Untrodden Portal

The Incarnate God:  Feasts of Jesus and The Virgin Mary (2 vol)

and two booklets on the Jesus Prayer.

(I don't know why I do this - I still haven't finished The Eucharist, The Divine Liturgy by Wybrew and at least 2 dozen other books.  I know what I'm "giving up" for Lent - my book buying addiction.)

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #636 on: March 07, 2008, 02:35:17 AM »

Just placed a Light & Life order for myself and hope to start reading:

Orthodox Spirituality: A Practical Guide for the Faithful and a Definitive       Guide for the Scholar by Dumitru Staniloae

Mary, The Untrodden Portal

The Incarnate God:  Feasts of Jesus and The Virgin Mary (2 vol)

and two booklets on the Jesus Prayer.

(I don't know why I do this - I still haven't finished The Eucharist, The Divine Liturgy by Wybrew and at least 2 dozen other books.  I know what I'm "giving up" for Lent - my book buying addiction.)

Tina,

I do exactly the same thing. I have a stack of books started and disgarded (to finish at some time!) and I still buy more. Today, I received a copy of "Christ the Eternal Tao". Last week I bought three Falco books (private investigator stories set in ancient Rome) and "Power of Three"'; another Dianna Wynne Jones. This is indeed an illness!! I need help! 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #637 on: March 07, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »

Class assignments for "Modern Poetry". This week it was Marianne Moore and T. S. Eliot.  I'd never read "The Waste Land" before, though I had read "Prufrock" and some others.  Last week it was Ezra Pound and H.D. and Jeffers.  and I had to write a paper and chose Wallace Stevens' "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird"

A book on Japanese relations and ideas about Hawaii, including fiction from the early 20th century that had the islands as part of Japan, and various plans during the war for taking over, which would have been a great blow to the US by removing a naval repair/refuel depot.

and others

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #638 on: March 07, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »

Tina,

I do exactly the same thing. I have a stack of books started and disgarded (to finish at some time!) and I still buy more. Today, I received a copy of "Christ the Eternal Tao". Last week I bought three Falco books (private investigator stories set in ancient Rome) and "Power of Three"'; another Dianna Wynne Jones. This is indeed an illness!! I need help! 

R- The 12 Step program for book buying addicts means simply turning around at the door of Barnes & Noble and walking 12 paces out the door.  Tell me how you like Christ the Eternal Tao. It's one I've wanted to read for a while now since I've gotten into martial arts.  If you're like me though, you end up reading the "fun" books faster and more consistently than the "serious" church books. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #639 on: March 07, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »

I've decided to get my M.E. degree,

I thought we all had one of those.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #640 on: March 07, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »

Nearing the end of the Ladder of St. John.  I've got further this year than I did last year and it looks like I'll finish it. Smiley

I'm also reading the "A Lion's Tale", the autobiography of wrestler Chris Jericho.  Once that's finished (quick, quick read!), I'll be starting "Sword Song" by Bernard Cornwell (one of my favorite authors).

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #641 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »

I recently finished a collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft and have started Made in America by Bill Bryson.  Comedy's a nice relief after terrifying myself with Old Ones. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #642 on: March 07, 2008, 07:40:34 PM »

R- The 12 Step program for book buying addicts means simply turning around at the door of Barnes & Noble and walking 12 paces out the door.  Tell me how you like Christ the Eternal Tao. It's one I've wanted to read for a while now since I've gotten into martial arts.  If you're like me though, you end up reading the "fun" books faster and more consistently than the "serious" church books. 

I was in Borders the other day and bought yet another Cookbook, which I need like I need a hole in my head! One positive thing about the sojourn through Border's though, I bought a disk on Tai Chi. It's so graceful and I have been meaning to incorporate it into my keeping fit programme, but darn, it's harder than it looks! Being slow to catch on, I will take awhile to learn the first few movements.

And yes, I will read all the "fun" books before the more "serious". I read the introduction of "Christ the Eternal Tao" last evening. Looks good, but now I have come upon several chapters of poetry, something I'm not really all that patient with. I'm tempted to skip it as I usually do and get to the informative stuff. Sad 

God grant me patience and do it now! Tongue

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #643 on: March 07, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »

I was in Borders the other day and bought yet another Cookbook, which I need like I need a hole in my head! One positive thing about the sojourn through Border's though, I bought a disk on Tai Chi. It's so graceful and I have been meaning to incorporate it into my keeping fit programme, but darn, it's harder than it looks! Being slow to catch on, I will take awhile to learn the first few movements.

And yes, I will read all the "fun" books before the more "serious". I read the introduction of "Christ the Eternal Tao" last evening. Looks good, but now I have come upon several chapters of poetry, something I'm not really all that patient with. I'm tempted to skip it as I usually do and get to the informative stuff. Sad 

I think tai chi is going to quickly catch up with yoga in the US.  I'm really glad you are enjoying it so much.  A caution about tai chi on video though - it's very hard to learn correctly, it's hard to keep motivated without a class to participate in and you quickly get bored doing one Yang 24 routine over and over.   I've been doing the kung fu internal arts (tai chi, pa kua, weapons etc..) for 2 years now and a well run class is the way to go.  I will test into 3rd brown sash in a few months and then 1st black sash by the end of the year or early next.  The school has been what's kept me in for so long.  The variety, the challenge of testing, the comraderie.  It's been the best exercise program I've ever done and I've met so many wonderful people.  The benefit of learning with a martial arts instructor, is that you learn tai chi and the other internal forms as a martial art not just as an exercise program.  I used to think it was just a pretty Chinese ballet type dance form but it is a serious martial art.  The Yang forms are slow (but oh so hard to master at the correct speed with proper balance),  but when you get into the Chen forms, the different animal pa kua forms and weapons they are fast and use explosive power (hua ching) for very hard hits and strikes.  An instructor will also teach you proper breathing and meditation techniques to use, which really make a difference in your ability to concentrate and increase your power.  Good luck with this, and please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #644 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »

R- The 12 Step program for book buying addicts means simply turning around at the door of Barnes & Noble and walking 12 paces out the door. 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Only twelve paces?  Not far at all.... and close enough that the pull of fresh pages, the smell of paper or maybe that special dust that only seems to collect in used book shops to reach out and pull you back.

Somewhere around here I have a humourous book on Bibliophilia/Bibliomania... but at the moment I can't recall the exact title.  Cheesy  I can see the cover in my mind though.  It has such useful bits as techniques for bringing books into the house undetected (under ones coat, in a backpack etc) and a question list to judge how back a case one has, that asks such things as have you bought a book and found that you already have copy/ies? 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #645 on: March 07, 2008, 09:29:46 PM »

A woman's #1 technique for sneaking anything into the house (new clothes, books, shoes) - leave it in your trunk for a day or so, and do not bring it into the house in the plastic bag from the store.  The crinkley sound of shopping bags is a dead giveaway that you have been shopping.  Sneak the item into your closet or bookshelf and do not wear or bring it out for several days.  However, in the most cases, your husband is so clueless about anything you are wearing or reading, that unless you left the tags on, (or in the case of clothing/shoes and it is so revealing or hoochey) they are very unlikely to notice anyway (and in the case of the aforementioned clothing items, they might actually not care how much you spent on them).

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #646 on: March 07, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »

I think tai chi is going to quickly catch up with yoga in the US.  I'm really glad you are enjoying it so much.  A caution about tai chi on video though - it's very hard to learn correctly, it's hard to keep motivated without a class to participate in and you quickly get bored doing one Yang 24 routine over and over.   I've been doing the kung fu internal arts (tai chi, pa kua, weapons etc..) for 2 years now and a well run class is the way to go.  I will test into 3rd brown sash in a few months and then 1st black sash by the end of the year or early next.  The school has been what's kept me in for so long.  The variety, the challenge of testing, the comraderie.  It's been the best exercise program I've ever done and I've met so many wonderful people.  The benefit of learning with a martial arts instructor, is that you learn tai chi and the other internal forms as a martial art not just as an exercise program.  I used to think it was just a pretty Chinese ballet type dance form but it is a serious martial art.  The Yang forms are slow (but oh so hard to master at the correct speed with proper balance),  but when you get into the Chen forms, the different animal pa kua forms and weapons they are fast and use explosive power (hua ching) for very hard hits and strikes.  An instructor will also teach you proper breathing and meditation techniques to use, which really make a difference in your ability to concentrate and increase your power.  Good luck with this, and please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks Tina. I'm investigating the posibilities of a group near my home, but so far, nothing.  Sad

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #647 on: March 08, 2008, 03:52:41 AM »

Well, Great Lent is upon us again, so I guess I need to dust off and start rereading my copy of Lord of the Rings.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #648 on: March 08, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

Have you ever read any of the "History of Middle Earth" volumes?  or "The Silmarillion", and "The Children of Hurin" came out a few months ago, too.

Ebor

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #649 on: March 08, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

Have you ever read any of the "History of Middle Earth" volumes?  or "The Silmarillion", and "The Children of Hurin" came out a few months ago, too.

Ebor
I've read the Silmarillion a few times.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #650 on: March 08, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »

As Great Lent is now around the corner, my books to (re)read are the following:

1)  The Way of the Pilgrim
2)  Confessions of St. Augustine
3)  Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann

If anyone has other Lenten favorites and meditations, please post them here.  Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #651 on: March 08, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »

I'm going to try to finish "Christ, the Eternal Tao" (which is looking very promising so far), then I'll try to finish "My Life in Christ" and hopefully start "Light from the East: Theology, Science and the Eastern Orthodox Tradition".

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #652 on: March 08, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »

As Great Lent is now around the corner, my books to (re)read are the following:

1)  The Way of the Pilgrim
2)  Confessions of St. Augustine
3)  Great Lent by Fr. Schmemann

If anyone has other Lenten favorites and meditations, please post them here.  Thanks.
Ladder of Divine Ascent St. John Klimacos
The Path of Salvation St. Theopan the Recluse

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #653 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »

An interesting book, but was it actually written by Mr. Antony Flew?
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #654 on: March 19, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »

Found an extremely interesting book online, titled "The [life and] Activities of the Metropolitan Petro Mohyla" (unfortunately for most of you guys, in Ukrainian - http://www.apologet.kiev.ua/content/view/70/35/), by a historian and Orthodox priest, Protopresbyter Fr. Dmytro Sadovyak. It's my spring break, so I took time savoring it.

I am fascinated by Mohyla's personality. He was, of course, a true product of his age - extremely ambitious, often ruthless... Yet, it is amazing how much he has achieved, given that he lived only 50 years (1596-1647).

Mohyla was born and lived all his life with more than just a silver spoon in his mouth. He was a son of the ruling prince ("Hospodar") of Moldova. Being still very young, he also became the brother-in-law of the powerful prince Jeremiah (Yarema) Vishnevetsky of Romny (east-central Ukraine). Having chosen a monastic path, Mohyla was made the archimandrite of the most wealthy Kyiv-Pechers'k Lavra monastery when he was not yet 31. He became Metropolitan of Kyiv and the Exarch of the Eucumenical Patriarch Cyril (Lukaris) at the age of 36.

Educated in Western Europe, Latin was his "other first" language, together with his "first first" language, which was old Ukrainian ("mova Rus'ka"). Writing, speaking, acting very much like a Polish nobleman-"shlyakhtych" of his time, and yet being Orthodox to the bone, always seeking compromise with the Polish king and princes for the sake of peace and prosperity of Orthodoxy, Mohyla wrote and published books, opened new schools and academies, appointed hierarchs, and vigorously re-organized parishes. During his tenure, hundreds of parishes and dozens of "protopopias" all over Ukraine were rid of illiterate and morally un-befitting priests and deacons (all of whom, according to Mohyla's personal orders, retained their pay for life if they collaborated in the search of their more educated and fitting replacement).

As it often happens, being a strong, somewhat dominant personality, Mohyla, unfortunately, had many enemies, including (most unfortunately) a wonderful man, his predecessor on the throne of the Metropolitan of Kyiv, Vlad. Isaiah Kopyns'kyj; Bishop Ian Popel'; prince Alexander Sangushko; the mayor of Kyiv Tyshkevych, and others. At times, he had sharp collisions with clergy, monks, and with the Kossaks who (again, very unfortunately) regarded him as a foreigner, "Westerner," "Latin" and even an undercover Catholic.

To this day, the true legacy of this most extraordinary man remains controversial and perhaps often misunderstood. No doubt, though, that he was a big blessing for Ukraine and for Holy Orthodoxy.

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #655 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »

I'm reading a young adult sci-fi novel: Alas, Babylon.  I originally read it in 9th grade I've spent years searching for it without knowing the title or author and *finally* found it by accident.  Yay.  It's not as gripping as I remember, though.  Sad 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #656 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »

Unread posts on OCnet since my last visit.    Wink
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #657 on: April 10, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »

Just started:
Dimitry - Tsar and Great Prince of All Russia 1605-1606 by Philip Barbour
(Alternate title: Dimitry called the Pretender)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #658 on: April 10, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »

Still slogging my way through The Eucharist by Fr. Alexander Schmemann, The Lenten Spring by Hopko, and trying to read the Psalter.  I always have big plans for Great Lent that usually go uncompleted.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #659 on: April 10, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »

I finally got my hands on a copy of Christ the Eternal Tao but have had little time to read it since I've been taking care of a 5 month old with an ear infection. 

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #660 on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »

Still slogging my way through The Eucharist by Fr. Alexander Schmemann, The Lenten Spring by Hopko, and trying to read the Psalter.  I always have big plans for Great Lent that usually go uncompleted.

I know the feeling.  Just keep at it as best you can and don't despair like I always end up doing when my big spiritual plans fall through! Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #661 on: April 10, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

I'm reading the Silmarillion (for the umpteenth time) for my before sleep reading and finally delving into Pope John Paul II's "Theology of the Body" general audience reflections during the day/lunch/train ride.

I do believe I'll start on Michael Chabon's iThe Yiddish Policeman's Union once I've finished the Silmarillion.

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09

« Reply #662 on: April 14, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »

Still working on "Clarissa."  I've been speeding through it lately because it's hit the climactic sections, but I still have almost 500 pages to go.  One of these days I'll get it finished.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #663 on: April 14, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »

And still slogging through The Eucharist by Schmemann.  Am I too dense or do I sometimes fail to see the point of the book for all the wordiness?

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #664 on: April 14, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »

I'm reading the Silmarillion (for the umpteenth time) for my before sleep reading ...
I'm in the middle of my fifth annual spring reading of Lord of the Rings; just read the first chapter of Return of the King today.  Should be into Book VI, Chapter 3 ("Mount Doom") on the 25th before I take a break for a couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:14:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #665 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »

And still slogging through The Eucharist by Schmemann.  Am I too dense or do I sometimes fail to see the point of the book for all the wordiness?

I don't think it's just you.  There seems to have been a lack of interest in finishing the book at the Book Club thread.  Feel free to post your thoughts there!  I've been stuck on chapter three for a month now.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #666 on: May 02, 2008, 01:53:39 AM »

I've read everything but that I intended to read during Lent, which is usual for me. Roll Eyes Anyway, I'm in the middle of Anam Cara by John O'Donohue; Irish Catholic, philosopher and ex-priest. Parts of the book are very moving, especially Mr Donohue's chapter on death - which I skipped ahead to read, for some reason. Reading his view on death has been all the more meaningful since I have discovered that Mr Donohue suddenly passed away in his sleep earlier this year at the age of 52. Lord have mercy.

From Amazon: Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom offers an exploration of the secret universe we all carry inside us, the connections we forge with the worlds of our friends and loved ones, and the products of our worlds reflected in the things we create outside of ourselves. Anam Cara, Gaelic for "soul friend," is an ancient journey down a nearly forgotten path of wisdom into what it means to be human. Drawing on this age-old perspective, John O'Donohue helps us to see ourselves as the Celts did: we're more than just flesh, blood, and bone; we comprise individual worlds. The comprehension of the sublime architecture of the worlds we are born with will engender a new appreciation for the outside world and the way we contribute to its evolution.

http://www.amazon.com/Anam-Cara-Book-Celtic-Wisdom/dp/006092943X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209706868&sr=1-1

scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #667 on: May 02, 2008, 05:43:04 PM »

Carnage and Culture by Victor Davis Hanson.  Prof. Hanson is a Classics Professor at UC-Berekley (or at least was) and has authored other books as Who Killed Homer? (which earned him a lot of negative press in my profession) and The Western Way of War.  This book seeks to explain that a western way of war has created a western culture or at least quasi-western culture worldwide.  It is a very good read and I would wholeheartedly recommend it.  Contrary to what people may infer about its title, it is not a racist book nor does it degrade other non-western cultures.  Funny thing is that I have had this book for a couple of years now and I have only now gotten around to reading it.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #668 on: May 02, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »

Sorry, lunacy struck and I misposted.  Huh
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:26:03 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #669 on: May 15, 2008, 04:04:10 AM »

I recently finished The Evil Dead Companion by Bill Warren. It was a bit of a let down for me. Evil Dead is my favorite movie trilogy, but a large chunk of the book was simply biographical info about the director Sam Raimi (and to a lesser extent Bruce Campbell and others). Right now I'm in sort of a holding pattern while I wait for some books by John Hick and Bishop Spong to arrive.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #670 on: May 15, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

I think I'll have to teach myself to read again after Caitlin's older.  The last thing I read was H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness a couple of months ago.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #671 on: May 15, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »

I just finished Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" (in Russian, http://www.wco.ru/biblio/books/lossk1/Main.htm). Took me quite a while, it's not an easy reading, but I really enjoyed it. I had a very vague idea about the Chalcedon christological dogmat and absolutely no idea about the uncreated Divine energies before I read this book.

Love never fails.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #672 on: May 15, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »

I have already read the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Ware. I think I'll check out the Orthodox Way.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #673 on: May 16, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »

Parenting by the Book by John Rosemond
scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #674 on: May 16, 2008, 04:09:32 PM »

Ron Paul's The Revolution:  A Manifesto.  If you actually care about small governemnt, non-interventionist government, sensible politics at its finest, this book is for you.  Though this man will never be elected president, this book shows why he should, at the very least, be strongly considered.

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: