Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 2298391 times)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene.
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #6255 on: December 13, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Yeah, you WOULD take a tour of the Vatican.

Offline mcarmichael

• "buddy"
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #6256 on: December 15, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »

I picked this up at Barnes & Noble yesterday, thinking it might be of interest to some friends and family. I thought about picking up a couple copies but I thought maybe I would take a crack at it myself first. I'm glad I did, too, because it doesn't present the topic in a way that is favorable toward the church, imho.

Basically his history is embellished like a children's book, and then it goes into the history of his relics and the many legends of St. Nick, basically makes it all sound like a lot of superstition. I plan to return it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6257 on: December 24, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
"And Moses said to the children of Israel, 'Because ye have wept and have asked for flesh, behold the Lord will give you flesh to eat; not one day, nor two, nor five, nor ten, but a month of days shall ye eat, until it goeth out of your nostrils, and becometh nauseous to you.'" (The Book of the Bee, 30)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6258 on: January 16, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »

I've waited months for this to hit the shelves. Skimming through the PDF while waiting for my hard copy to ship, and hoo boy, does it need all the content warnings it comes with. Even for us old-timers who have read and re-read through both iterations of the Book of Madness, this is next-level messed up.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Kmon23

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian
« Reply #6259 on: January 16, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
Penguin Highway by Tomihiko Morimi. Saw the animated film and absolutely loved, and had to read the original novel. It's also the same person as Tatami Galaxy so I definitely felt confident it was going to be worth the purchase.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:20:29 PM by Kmon23 »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6260 on: January 30, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »
Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6261 on: February 01, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica

I have a feeling I'm going to struggle with this one.  I tried reading it about 4 years ago, but it literally made no sense half the time.  That is typically my clue that I'm not ready to read something.  :laugh:  We'll see how it goes this time, but I think it's going to hurt.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #6262 on: February 01, 2020, 11:27:54 PM »

I have a feeling I'm going to struggle with this one.  I tried reading it about 4 years ago, but it literally made no sense half the time.  That is typically my clue that I'm not ready to read something.  :laugh:  We'll see how it goes this time, but I think it's going to hurt.

It's definitely a book to take a few pages at a time.  I've had my copy for about 3 years and still haven't finished it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6263 on: February 01, 2020, 11:38:36 PM »

It's definitely a book to take a few pages at a time.  I've had my copy for about 3 years and still haven't finished it.
The women's group of my diocese has chosen it for this year's book club.  So...I have a year.  If I want to be a team player anyway.  :angel:
At least now I remember which monk had to be reassigned several times (he kept falling asleep :laugh:); I remembered the story, but not whose it was.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #6264 on: February 02, 2020, 11:58:25 PM »

Same, bro.
OCnet is KGB.
I hail Mor Ephrem as our Secretary General.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #6265 on: February 03, 2020, 12:44:58 AM »

Same, bro.

Next time I go to NYC, let's have an impromptu OCnet Book Club and read a paragraph together.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6266 on: February 03, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »

Same, bro.

Next time I go to NYC, let's have an impromptu OCnet Book Club and read a paragraph together.

Next time?  If there was a first time and you never told me, that was the last time!  >:(
OCnet is KGB.

An Athonite

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #6267 on: February 03, 2020, 03:07:37 PM »

Same, bro.

Next time?  If there was a first time and you never told me, that was the last time!  >:(

Last time I was in NYC, I didn't know you existed.

Offline Kmon23

• Jurisdiction: Bulgarian
« Reply #6268 on: February 03, 2020, 03:52:33 PM »

To be honest, I had some trouble seeing it as part of Orthodox teaching when I read it. If I may dare say it, I would have thought it some new age Christian syncretism if not for the author and title. The idea that our thoughts and ideas can "influence" things around us, seem new agey to me.
It's one thing to say that being a temple of the Holy Spirit can influence those around us, as proximity to holiness can influence you, and likewise if you are subject to demons. But this book seems to be saying something else, that our very thoughts themselves have an energy so to speak on the world. What are your thoughts from what you have read so far?

I hope that this is just a misunderstanding on my part.

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #6269 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:51 PM »
What comes out of you is what defiles you. Murders, rapes, and other sins are conceived in your brain and birthed into the world. How could your thoughts not have external effects?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6270 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:10 AM »

Same, bro.

Sounds like a happier time in your life.
OCnet is KGB.

An Athonite

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #6271 on: February 05, 2020, 09:15:41 AM »

Same, bro.

Sounds like a happier time in your life.

I was 12, so yeah.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6272 on: February 05, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »
Regarding Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:

Sort of a chicken and egg thing. Our thoughts definitely effect our lives, but our lives also effect our thoughts. I haven't read the book, but the title gives me pause. What about people who suffer from mental illnesses beyond their control? They simply cannot control their thoughts. "Mind over matter" is nice in theory, but in reality it's often impossible. I would break it down like this:

While we cannot always control our thoughts, we can control our actions.

Positive and righteous actions lead to the cultivation of positive and righteous thoughts.

The more we cultivate positive and righteous thoughts, the easier it will be to engage in positive and righteous actions.

And if we struggle with compulsive thoughts or behaviors beyond our control, then by all means we need to seek sound spiritual and psychological help.

Just my two cents.

Selam
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:33:14 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6273 on: February 10, 2020, 02:00:14 PM »

Reading this together with the young one, for his English class (gothic literature module).
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6274 on: February 11, 2020, 11:15:06 PM »
"And Moses said to the children of Israel, 'Because ye have wept and have asked for flesh, behold the Lord will give you flesh to eat; not one day, nor two, nor five, nor ten, but a month of days shall ye eat, until it goeth out of your nostrils, and becometh nauseous to you.'" (The Book of the Bee, 30)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6275 on: February 16, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #6276 on: February 16, 2020, 07:57:14 PM »
An article from The Atlantic about families.  Interesting, at least.

Thanks for the link.  Great article.
This is interesting about the class divide:
Among the highly educated, family patterns are almost as stable as they were in the 1950s; among the less fortunate, family life is often utter chaos. There’s a reason for that divide: Affluent people have the resources to effectively buy extended family, in order to shore themselves up. Think of all the child-rearing labor affluent parents now buy that used to be done by extended kin: babysitting, professional child care, tutoring, coaching, therapy, expensive after-school programs. (For that matter, think of how the affluent can hire therapists and life coaches for themselves, as replacement for kin or close friends.) These expensive tools and services not only support children’s development and help prepare them to compete in the meritocracy; by reducing stress and time commitments for parents, they preserve the amity of marriage. Affluent conservatives often pat themselves on the back for having stable nuclear families. They preach that everybody else should build stable families too. But then they ignore one of the main reasons their own families are stable: They can afford to purchase the support that extended family used to provide—and that the people they preach at, further down the income scale, cannot.

I could not survive without the help and emotional support of my mother and grandmother - all the help and advice about childcare and cooking.  But I am lucky enough to live really close to my parents and grandparents.  Plus both my mother and grandmother are both retired-have the time, energy to help.  My mother-in-law is younger and still working which is common for a lot of that generation.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6277 on: February 16, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
An article from The Atlantic about families.  Interesting, at least.

Thanks for the link.  Great article.
This is interesting about the class divide:
Among the highly educated, family patterns are almost as stable as they were in the 1950s; among the less fortunate, family life is often utter chaos. There’s a reason for that divide: Affluent people have the resources to effectively buy extended family, in order to shore themselves up. Think of all the child-rearing labor affluent parents now buy that used to be done by extended kin: babysitting, professional child care, tutoring, coaching, therapy, expensive after-school programs. (For that matter, think of how the affluent can hire therapists and life coaches for themselves, as replacement for kin or close friends.) These expensive tools and services not only support children’s development and help prepare them to compete in the meritocracy; by reducing stress and time commitments for parents, they preserve the amity of marriage. Affluent conservatives often pat themselves on the back for having stable nuclear families. They preach that everybody else should build stable families too. But then they ignore one of the main reasons their own families are stable: They can afford to purchase the support that extended family used to provide—and that the people they preach at, further down the income scale, cannot.

I could not survive without the help and emotional support of my mother and grandmother - all the help and advice about childcare and cooking.  But I am lucky enough to live really close to my parents and grandparents.  Plus both my mother and grandmother are both retired-have the time, energy to help.  My mother-in-law is younger and still working which is common for a lot of that generation.
You're welcome!  I liked the part discussing forged families; that's what it will come down to for me, I think.  I also thought a bit about Orthodoxy, parish life, and monasticism as I read this, and how at its best, it answers that need for a larger circle of connections.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6278 on: February 20, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »

Come at me bro

Offline Saxon

• Elder
« Reply #6279 on: April 06, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
This (https://www.amazon.com/MY-LEGIONARIES-Corneliu-Zelea-Codreanu/dp/1682044009) newest publication of Codreanu’s “For My Legionaries”. Codreanu’s life is inspirational and his writing here is highly succinct and hasn’t lost relevance in the near century subsequent to its composition. The only issue with this particular edition is that whoever published it didn’t bother editing or proofreading, and it is littered with weird typos and spelling errors that render entire sentences unreadable.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6280 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:08 PM »
The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6281 on: April 21, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
I am looking to read some information on where the Garden of Eden was located. I am thinking that it was probably meant to be in (A) an area between what is now northern Iraq and Armenia. Another guess is that it was in (B) the Persian Gulf, as the Euphrates and Tigris have their source and end in those locations which put those parts of the rivers near each other, relatively speaking.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

• Merarches
« Reply #6282 on: April 22, 2020, 01:54:21 AM »
The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran

Great book.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6283 on: April 25, 2020, 06:02:44 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6284 on: April 26, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
Rereading Dracula, by Bram Stoker. Forgot how good this book is.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Καλό Πάσχα!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6285 on: April 26, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
Rereading Dracula, by Bram Stoker. Forgot how good this book is.
It is something to sink your teeth into. :)

Offline Sethrak

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #6286 on: April 27, 2020, 02:08:39 AM »
You think it's at the Library ???? I don't have a copy ```

still reading: A book by William F Buckley ~ the name of which has slipped my mind ~ read a couple chapters today ```
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:11:16 AM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: True Faith™
« Reply #6287 on: April 27, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
You think it's at the Library ???? I don't have a copy ```

If you meant Dracula you can get a free ebook from Project Gutenberg.

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • OC.net guru
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
« Reply #6288 on: April 28, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - The Red-Headed League
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

• Merarches
« Reply #6289 on: April 28, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6290 on: April 28, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
You think it's at the Library ??? ? I don't have a copy ```

still reading: A book by William F Buckley ~ the name of which has slipped my mind ~ read a couple chapters today ```
It's a very easy book to find around, the copyright is expired so if you're comfortable reading online it can be found in Project Gutenberg or Wikisource.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6291 on: April 28, 2020, 10:36:45 PM »
Time and Despondency.  Also probably going to be uncomfortable.

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • OC.net guru
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
« Reply #6292 on: May 04, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Barsoom Series: The Chessmen of Mars
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6293 on: May 05, 2020, 10:32:46 PM »
Time and Despondency.  Also probably going to be uncomfortable.
I was right.  But I love it.  :) 

Offline platypus

• High Elder
  • The West knows best
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6294 on: May 10, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. It's strange to see the role of religion in the lives of Chaucer's characters. My own country, the US, is largely nominally Christian. Plenty of people, even public figures, pay lip service to the Bible, but hardly anyone actually knows whats in there. Chaucer's world is far more nominally Christian; people never lack a handy Bible quote even while they're stealing or committing adultery.
I stare at the screen, my fingers gliding across the keypad. Uninformed opinions appear in neat rows of text. They are my own. "Click post!" Pride whispers gleefully into my ear. I obey without resistance.
Please disregard everything I say.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #6295 on: May 10, 2020, 11:30:06 PM »
If It Bleeds, by Stephen King. I’m halfway through the first story and it isn’t even scary yet.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6296 on: May 12, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
I started on my annual re-read of Women Who Run with the Wolves early. It's just what I needed right now.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Kierkegaardian absurdity
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6297 on: May 12, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Well I was on Reaching Out by Henri Nouwen but then I discovered our own Fr. Peter Farrington's Three Hundred Chapters http://www.stgeorgeministry.com/spiritual-life-free-ebook/ so I'll probably bounce between the two and learn very little, as is typical.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic/sometimes skeptic
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #6298 on: May 16, 2020, 11:14:42 PM »
I just finished this one! Keep reading, biro -- it isn't super-scary, but more thought-provoking.   8)

If It Bleeds, by Stephen King. I’m halfway through the first story and it isn’t even scary yet.
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Καλό Πάσχα!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6299 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
The Book of Acts and Paul in Roman Custody / Brian Rapske.