Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1992316 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #6121 on: February 14, 2019, 02:27:39 AM »

I think I tried reading this once before but got sidetracked very quickly into other stuff. I remember Fr. John Behr referencing this often in one of his works, so I (still) have high expectations...
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6122 on: February 20, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
Estories.com has a free copy of "Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount" by St. John Chrysostom. It's probably from Librivox.org. If anyone wants it, it's here: https://www.estories.com/audiobook/7562/St-John-Chrysostom/Sermon-on-the-Mount-The---Commentary
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6123 on: February 24, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6124 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:51 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #6125 on: March 07, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
Let me know how it is. I still want to get in to Ballard.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #6126 on: March 07, 2019, 01:58:57 PM »

Slightly dated (mid-1990s) feminist theology. Borrowed it from the library at the food pantry* where I spend my Wednesday mornings. About a third of the way through. The author intended it to be an intentional middle-way between traditionalists and radicals.

The author makes some good pastoral points and even borrows from apophatic theology when discussing how we discuss God (paraphrase: We cannot read back into God the image of him that we see in his creation), but some of her discussions of the Hebrew names of God lean a little too much into this word could possibly be interpreted this way.

*The pantry is located in a church that was built during better times in the community and supported a much larger congregation. The decline has matched that of the general population in the city, and now the pantry is by far the church's biggest ministry. One of the remaining members told me I could borrow whatever I wanted.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:59:18 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6127 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
What I've been reading since October:

Between Faith and Thought: An Essay on the Ontotheological Condition
Heidegger on Ontotheology: Technology and the Politics of Education
Plotinus or the Simplicity of Vision
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6128 on: March 13, 2019, 06:58:54 AM »
'Viking Atrocity and Skaldic Verse: The Rite of the Blood Eagle', by Roberta Frank. One of the most engrossing papers I've ever read.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #6129 on: March 13, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
The Orthodox Reality: Culture, Theology, and Ethics in the Modern World

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080109934X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #6130 on: March 15, 2019, 11:22:36 AM »
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it over 30 years ago in High School and wanted to revisit the work again as an adult. Interesting the perspective you get as a teen and grown up.

Now reading - The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the Survivors of One of the Worst Disasters in Coal-Mining History Brought Suit against the Coal Company - and Won. By Gerald M. Stern
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6131 on: March 16, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
Let me know how it is. I still want to get in to Ballard.

I like it in general, but sometimes it goes overboard for my taste, just too into the weeds in trying to explain or detail things. For example it has some dialogue about genetic memory, which is fine given the context (post-apocalypse with the environment reversing to earlier geological periods), but then we get stuff like this:

"Each one of us is as old as the entire biological kingdom, and our bloodstreams are tributaries of the entire great seas of its total memory. The uterine odyssey of the growing foetus recapitulates the entire evolutionary past, and its central nervous system is a coded time-scale, each nexus of neurones and such spinal level marking a symbolic station, a unit of neuronic time. The further down the CNS you move, from the hind-brain through the medulla into the spinal cord, you descended back into the neuronic past. For example, the junction between the thoracic and lumbar vertebrae, between T-12 and L-1, is the great zone of transit between the gill-breathing fish and the air-breathing amphibians with their respiratory rib-cages, the very junction where we stand now on the shores of this lagoon, between the Paleozoic and Triassic eras."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6132 on: March 16, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
Wow, lol. It's like the Architect speech before the Architect.

Thanks. I might pick it up.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:12:56 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Gregory, pray for me, a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism
« Reply #6133 on: March 16, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »
I finished Brave New World.

I’m one of the few privileged Americans to have read both Brave New World and 1984. For most, it seems one or the other.

But anyways, I’ve read Zamyatin’s “We,” which was the source of inspiration for Orwell, who accused Huxley of stealing the plot of We in Brave New World.

Huxley denied it, but Orwell called him a liar.

While I think Huxley was original enough to not just be a copy and paste of “We,” ... I find it hard to believe that Huxley wasn’t inspired to some degree.
"Feast on wine or fast on water
And your honor shall stand sure,
God Almighty's son and daughter
He the valiant, she the pure;
If an angel out of heaven
Brings you other things to drink,
Thank him for his kind attention,
Go and pour them down the sink."

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6134 on: March 16, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
I've read all three myself. I think We is my favorite overall. Then Brave, then 1984.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #6135 on: March 16, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
St. Gregory of Nyssa: On The Soul And The Resurrection, for Thursday Morning Men's Group.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6136 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »
I finished Brave New World.

I’m one of the few privileged Americans to have read both Brave New World and 1984. For most, it seems one or the other.

But anyways, I’ve read Zamyatin’s “We,” which was the source of inspiration for Orwell, who accused Huxley of stealing the plot of We in Brave New World.

Huxley denied it, but Orwell called him a liar.

While I think Huxley was original enough to not just be a copy and paste of “We,” ... I find it hard to believe that Huxley wasn’t inspired to some degree.

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal." ~ Igor Stravinsky ~

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #6137 on: March 16, 2019, 11:22:46 PM »
I've read all three myself. I think We is my favorite overall. Then Brave, then 1984.

Haven't read "We". But out of the two, Huxley's characters in Brave are more human seeming than Orwell's in 1984.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6138 on: March 17, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »

What are your thoughts of Huxley’s Accusations? And why is We your favorite? (Brave is my favorite, then We, then 1984)

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6139 on: March 17, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »
It's been a long time. I remember thinking that We was more similar to Orwell than Huxley (especially in the "guy get's redpilled by manic pixie angry girl" aspect and the plot point of the quaint little out of the way house). I'm not sure you can really make a case for plagiarism regarding either, though. I need to go back through all three of them.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6140 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Geographische Anthropologie by Bertil Lundman arrived yesterday on the mail. Nice book.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6141 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

I wonder how many variants of that quote are attributed to various people. E.g. T.S. Eliot is often attributed to saying the same thing except about poets.

But I guess it could be a matter of lots of people stealing the quote. ;)
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6142 on: March 18, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
Gary Macy's "The Hidden History of Women's Ordination: Female Clergy in the Medieval West"

The title makes it sound like a work of advocacy — and some groups try to use it as such — but when you read the book it is just a historical survey of references to women's ordination and their context (while the work does discuss prysbeteria and deaconesses, it also discusses things like the 'ordination' of abbesses). He also discusses how the definition and standards of what constituted "ordination" itself changed during the Middle Ages as theological language became more precise.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:38:59 AM by Agabus »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6143 on: March 18, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »

I wonder how many variants of that quote are attributed to various people. E.g. T.S. Eliot is often attributed to saying the same thing except about poets.

Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy lol.

• Merarches
« Reply #6144 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »

Yeah. I think Picasso said something similar as well.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6145 on: March 19, 2019, 05:55:19 AM »

Yeah. I think Picasso said something similar as well.

Selam

There's also the uncredited 'Nine words the eclectic rede attest: steal what works, fix what's broke, fake the rest'.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6146 on: March 29, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
The end of this month marks my 10th anniversary on Goodreads, and I was looking forward to crunching some numbers and see how my reading habits have developed over time. Of course, recently Goodreads up and removed the 'most read authors' link, as well as a couple more stats tools, so I had to round them up by hand. There was only a couple of surprises, namely, authors that I thought would make it into the top 10 and didn't, because someone else sneaked into a higher position.

Total books rated: 643 (the actual read books number is a bit higher, because not everything I read has loggable ISBN numbers)
Longest book read: George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords - 1177 pages

Most read authors:
1st place - 22 books: Marion Zimmer Bradley
2nd place - 17 books: Terry Pratchett
3rd place - 16 books: Terry Deary
4th place - 15 books: Isobel Bird, Cate Tiernan
5th place - 14 books: Jeff Kinney
6th place - 12 books: Peter Lancett
7th place - 11 books: Jim Butcher
8th place - 10 books: Guy Bass
9th place - 9 books: Andy Stanton
10th place - 8 books: Marie Bruce, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6147 on: March 30, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »

• Merarches
« Reply #6148 on: March 31, 2019, 12:15:46 AM »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #6150 on: April 05, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
Started The Brothers Karamazov last night.

I know an Orthodox Priest who said this book was highly influential on his move into Orthodoxy. He read the entire book in almost one sitting. I've been looking forward to exploring it for a long time.
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6151 on: April 11, 2019, 03:57:28 AM »
I've been listening to the audiobook of Zebrowski and Pellegrino's The Killing Star

I also started David Peterson's The Art of Language Invention

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6152 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
Mostly fanfiction. Big fandom event in progress, lots to keep up with.

• Merarches
« Reply #6153 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
Started The Brothers Karamazov last night.

I know an Orthodox Priest who said this book was highly influential on his move into Orthodoxy. He read the entire book in almost one sitting. I've been looking forward to exploring it for a long time.

Wonderful book! Prophetic!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6154 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6155 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
Werewolves Versus Fascism. (Not putting up the cover, as it's a tad too graphic for the venue.) Probably going through the rest of the issues afterwards.

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6156 on: April 16, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
Aren't wolves technically fascist because they follow hierarchy, with an Alpha Male and Alpha Female leading the pack?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:49:15 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6157 on: April 16, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Aren't wolves technically fascist because they follow hierarchy, with an Alpha Male and Alpha Female leading the pack?

Someone needs to brush up on werewolves... and Werewolf Versus, probably.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #6158 on: April 16, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
But all hierarchy is fascism apparently!
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6159 on: April 16, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »

I would say that it depends on what universe you are using - especially the disgusting "Alpha Male Romance Novels" - but considering that many characteristics of werewolves are derived from actual wolves, I still find it ironic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:31:59 PM by Eamonomae »

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6160 on: April 16, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »

I would say that it depends on what universe you are using - especially the disgusting "Alpha Male Romance Novels" - but considering that many characteristics of werewolves are derived from actual wolves, I still find it ironic.

That's why reading Werewolf Versus can be an enlightening experience. :)

Offline Eamonomae

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6161 on: April 16, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »
But all hierarchy is fascism apparently!

No, not you Iconodule! Don't tell me you are a misogynistic / racist fascist as well!

-G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6162 on: April 16, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6163 on: April 16, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
'Armageddon's Children,' Terry Brooks.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6164 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44:18 AM »
NVM going to make a thread instead...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:44:38 AM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.