Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1417447 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5895 on: August 27, 2018, 07:12:51 PM »
I read V for Vendetta this afternoon. Had never gotten around to it, and the Kindle allows me to enlarge the individual panels.

How did you like it?

I liked it. It didn't make a huge impression (other than I liked some of the artwork) since I'm not 17. Coupled with some of the medicine I'm taking it made for weird dreams last night. But it was #BetterThanTheMovie.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5896 on: August 27, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Yeah, I've never seen the movie all the way through and only read the book in my 20s, so I feel similarly. I guess more than anything I came away confused as to why Anon-types use the V mask in the first place lol.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:18:21 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #5897 on: August 28, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
I'm rereading "The Egg and I," by Betty MacDonald. Published in 1945, it's a very funny account of the author's increasingly desperate attempts to help her then-husband make a go of chicken ranching in the Pacific Northwest.

The book was made into a movie starring Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray, with a typical upbeat Hollywood ending, which was VERY different from how the book itself, which is much darker, ends. For better or worse, it also inspired the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies of the '40s and '50s. But as always seems to be the case, the book is better!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:36:05 PM by theistgal »
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5898 on: August 28, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
I'm rereading "The Egg and I," by Betty MacDonald. Published in 1945, it's a very funny account of the author's increasingly desperate attempts to help her then-husband make a go of chicken ranching in the Pacific Northwest.

The book was made into a movie starring Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray, with a typical upbeat Hollywood ending, which was VERY different from how the book itself, which is much darker, ends. For better or worse, it also inspired the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies of the '40s and '50s. But as always seems to be the case, the book is better!!
Is that the one where the wife paints "I'm leaving" on the wall and takes off while the husband is gone?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:49:32 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #5899 on: August 28, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »

Is that the one where the wife paints "I'm leaving" on the wall and takes off while the husband is gone?

Hah! Not sure (still rereading) but I don't think so. It sounds more like a scene from the movie. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is, because the book ends before they've separated, and only hints at that being about to happen. The movie had them break up, then get back together, because Hollywood.

Still, having read all her other books (AND visited her former home on Vashon Island, near a really gorgeous Orthodox monastery BTW), I wouldn't have put it past her. :D
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #5900 on: August 29, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »
"Islam and the Future of Tolerance" by Sam Harris and Maajid Hawaz

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5901 on: August 29, 2018, 12:36:39 AM »
The heck does Sam Harris know about tolerance lol?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

• High Elder
« Reply #5902 on: August 29, 2018, 12:44:26 AM »

Elaborate.  Though my interest in the book was to better understand Maajid Hawaz's attempts to reform Islam. :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5903 on: August 29, 2018, 01:19:51 AM »

Elaborate.  Though my interest in the book was to better understand Maajid Hawaz's attempts to reform Islam. :)

I don't see how Harris's stereotyping and raging against religious can have any kind of effect that might be called "tolerance." Maybe Nawaz is better, I don't know much about him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:20:31 AM by Volnutt »

• High Elder
« Reply #5904 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:39 AM »

I don't see how Harris's stereotyping and raging against religious can have any kind of effect that might be called "tolerance." Maybe Nawaz is better, I don't know much about him.

Nawaz talks briefly about his life in the book though I believe he has a longer autobiography available as well.  As for Harris, I haven't read much of his books (yet) but from the few debates/interviews I've seen I would consider him relatively "fair".

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5905 on: August 29, 2018, 01:53:22 AM »
From what I remember of Harris, he favored a hard/rigorist stance when it came to things like dealing with Islam (esp. on a national scale), arguing that moderates were part of the problem. It seemed to be different from the negative attitude about religion he normally had; he saw the problem as especially dangerous in a way creationists in schools or prayers before Congress weren't.

• High Elder
« Reply #5906 on: August 29, 2018, 02:01:46 AM »
From what I remember of Harris, he favored a hard/rigorist stance when it came to things like dealing with Islam (esp. on a national scale), arguing that moderates were part of the problem. It seemed to be different from the negative attitude about religion he normally had; he saw the problem as especially dangerous in a way creationists in schools or prayers before Congress weren't.

Yes I think that is a fair characterization.  However the book I mentioned it appears that Harris is willing to work with Nawaz.  The book reads as a dialogue and Nawaz articulated many of his ideas quite well.   

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5907 on: August 29, 2018, 07:52:53 AM »
The Presanctified Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite: A Comparative Analysis of Its Origins, Evolution, and Structural Components by Stefanos Alexopoulos

Everything you ever wanted to know about Presanctified.

Oh man, I’ve been looking for that for a while...

Not cheap, $70.  Anything in particular you want to know?
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5908 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »
The Presanctified Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite: A Comparative Analysis of Its Origins, Evolution, and Structural Components by Stefanos Alexopoulos

Everything you ever wanted to know about Presanctified.

Oh man, I’ve been looking for that for a while...

Not cheap, $70.  Anything in particular you want to know?

Everything... I just might buy it.  $70 is high, but not as high as I presumed.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5909 on: August 29, 2018, 08:19:06 PM »
You can't buy it Mor. You have a HTM Menaion to save up for. 8)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5910 on: August 29, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
Just curious, Mor- do these books have any practical applicability in the Syriac Rite?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5911 on: August 29, 2018, 10:49:33 PM »
Just curious, Mor- do these books have any practical applicability in the Syriac Rite?

Which books?  The HTM menaion or the Alexopoulos book?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5912 on: August 30, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »

Either, actually.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5913 on: August 30, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

Either, actually.

Alexopoulos, no, except in learning more about a rite we used to have (technically still have) but which has fallen out of use for centuries now.

The menaion might have some use, at least in terms of certain elements like the Canons, but that requires more research. 

Mostly, I just want to build my library.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5914 on: August 30, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Hill, R. C. (Trans.). (2016). Didymus the Blind: Commentary on Genesis. Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5915 on: August 30, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »
Hill, R. C. (Trans.). (2016). Didymus the Blind: Commentary on Genesis. Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press.

Oh wow, tell me how it is. St. Didymus fascinates me, for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:44:36 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5916 on: August 30, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »

Unfortunately, his document (discovered in 1941 in Egypt) containing his commentaries on Genesis is often fragmentary, with a number of sections missing. Because of the influence of Origen and Philo, I was curious as to what Didymus wrote about the creation of Light and the meaning of a "7" day creation. The "Light" commentary is missing portions of the original, so it's hard to figure out what Didymus is saying. Fortunately, the part where he explains why creation occurred over "6" days is intact. (But I still find Philo's number-theory more understandable.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:37:41 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5917 on: August 30, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:36:16 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5918 on: August 30, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:50:25 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5919 on: August 30, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »

Unfortunately, his document (discovered in 1941 in Egypt) containing his commentaries on Genesis is often fragmentary, with a number of sections missing. Because of the influence of Origen and Philo, I was curious as to what Didymus wrote about the creation of Light and the meaning of a "7" day creation. The "Light" commentary is missing portions of the original, so it's hard to figure out what Didymus is saying. Fortunately, the part where he explains why creation occurred over "6" days is intact. (But I still find Philo's number-theory more understandable.)

I need to re-read that part of Philo. It's been a while.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5920 on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
FYI http://archangelsbooks.com/ has a lot of books right now at 20% off

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5921 on: August 31, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation)
- Berdyaev

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5922 on: August 31, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »
Pomazansky's Dogmatic Theology.

Picked up a cheap copy from the church bookstore. Not a monumental work, TBH, but useful for its extensive quoting of patristic sources.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5923 on: August 31, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
FYI http://archangelsbooks.com/ has a lot of books right now at 20% off

Thanks! Unfortunately for me, 20% off is still 0> lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5924 on: September 02, 2018, 12:52:24 AM »
So, my mom gave me some money and I decided to try out the 50% off sale that Barnes and Noble is allegedly doing.

As far as I can tell, it barely applies to anything online (maybe in the store, it's better). So, that's going on until Monday if anybody wants to give it a whirl.

At least I was able to use the 15% off Labor Day coupon code online.

I got The Stripping of the Altars by Eamon Duffy
Christianity: The First 3000 Years by Diarmaid "My Evil Plot to Make Everybody Have to Google my Name in Order to Spell it Right Every Time they Type it is a Stirring Success" MacCulloch
The Forgotten Desert Mothers by Laura Swan (I know that's been discussed several times in this thread)
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (highly regarded sci-fi from the 70s)
Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (the novel he wrote on a bet)
And an Astro City collection (Family Album)- I think I'm just one away from having them all (minus the new one that isn't out yet). Looks like some of them wound up in storage, so I can't check. Not that having all the trade paperbacks of something is any kind of real accomplishment. It makes me feel kind of good, though...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:53:53 AM by Volnutt »

Offline ayenew

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox
« Reply #5925 on: September 02, 2018, 04:12:07 AM »
I'm reading Confessions. Btw, is Augustine a saint in the oriental orthodox church?

• High Elder
« Reply #5926 on: September 02, 2018, 04:40:25 AM »
Authoritarian Capitalism: Sovereign Wealth Funds and State-Owned Enterprises in East Asia and Beyond by Richard Carney
The Shaolin Monastery: History, Religion, and the Chinese Martial Arts by Meir Shakar

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5927 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
I'm reading Confessions. Btw, is Augustine a saint in the oriental orthodox church?

Yes.

Online Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #5928 on: September 09, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

I change my picture daily to reflect feast days. Ask me!

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5929 on: September 09, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
^Great book.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5930 on: September 09, 2018, 08:56:47 PM »
Elmore Leonard's "Gunsights."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #5931 on: September 09, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5932 on: September 09, 2018, 09:46:30 PM »

So far so good...

Probably the only fantasy novel I've read as an adult that got more than a 'meh' reaction out of me, even though it was quite different than what I would have expected to like. So...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5933 on: September 09, 2018, 10:09:34 PM »
What did you like about the first one (I've never read it)?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5934 on: September 09, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
To sum it up, I guess I just thought it had interesting and competent story-telling throughout, though probably 15% could have been cut. (I'll avoid major spoilers here.)  One of the main characters was on the way to being a monk, and still wants to be one, so there's that. Two of the main characters are self-centered teens (by their own admission), and yet they're some of the most sympathetic in the novel, which I guess is surprising more than 'good.' The other main is a pretty interesting pirate. If there was a fourth main it'd be the talking/living ship, which was too emotional, but then it was a newborn so that's to be expected, and was setting up for the other two novels. Speaking of, there is a lot of setup for future things, but without making you feel like it's only setup and not especially interesting right now. A significant part of the story involves slavery (including the 'debtors slavery' thing that people try to say was actually not so bad), though that's just one way that Hobb explores more general topics of autonomy and decisions/consequences.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5935 on: September 12, 2018, 11:53:09 PM »
Sorry, I realise that wasn't very helpful, lol. I'll have to think about it more I suppose :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5936 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »
Sorry, I realise that wasn't very helpful, lol. I'll have to think about it more I suppose :)

No, that was fine :) I might pick it up someday. The idea of a living wooden ship is pretty clever.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5937 on: September 17, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death of Jesus Christ by Fleming Rutledge
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5938 on: September 17, 2018, 11:34:33 PM »
Today I started re-reading Phantastes by George MacDonald. Already remembering why I loved it so much.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5939 on: September 18, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »
Today I started re-reading Phantastes by George MacDonald. Already remembering why I loved it so much.
Wow, I started to read his Unspoken Sermons last night.