Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1417448 times)

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5850 on: August 05, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »
What is Dostoevsky's worst book and why? Or rather your least favorite of his?

The Brothers Karamazov

The quintessential Dostoevsky--interesting insights interspersed with heavy-handed philosophy/theology, sensationalized psychological states, obnoxious (and usually hypocritical) moralizing, and many very long and boring passages.
[vulgarism removed] That is by far his best book

Please remember that it is a Christian forum, so proper vocabulary is demanded, instead of obscenity.
Dominika, GM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:26:43 PM by Dominika »
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Western Rite Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Examining Western Rite of Antiochan
« Reply #5851 on: August 05, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »
I just finished "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. Why would I put this here one might ask? I was dealing with weight issues and an inability to take it off. Worse, and most importantly, I struggled every lent and generally with the Church's recommended fasts. I could not even fast for 24 hours, let alone cut meat, sugar, etc. A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting. The weight loss was not dramatic, but sure does feel good. I wore some pants to church today I bought brand new and could never actually fit into. I have been able to be responsive to the fasts recommended by the Church and I am looking forward to being able to faithfully participate this next lent.

I am now on to "The Cosmic Mystery of Christ" by St. Maximus the Confessor and "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius. I listened to an audio version of On The Incarnation, but I wanted to have the print version.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:13:43 PM by noahzarc1 »

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5852 on: August 05, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
I just finished "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung. Why would I put this here one might ask? I was dealing with weight issues and an inability to take it off. Worse, and most importantly, I struggled every lent and generally with the Church's recommended fasts. I could not even fast for 24 hours, let alone cut meat, sugar, etc. A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting. The weight loss was not dramatic, but sure does feel good. I wore some pants to church today I bought brand new and could never actually fit into. I have been able to be responsive to the fasts recommended by the Church and I am looking forward to being able to faithfully participate this next lent.

I am now on to "The Cosmic Mystery of Christ" by St. Maximus the Confessor and "On the Incarnation" by St. Athanasius. I listened to an audio version of On The Incarnation, but I wanted to have the print version.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5853 on: August 05, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
A nurse practitioner recently clearly explained dietary intermittent fasting to us while my wife was getting some medical treatment lately. After considering all the evidence, I knew this was something I had to explore and she recommended this book by Dr. Fung as well as his "Complete Guide to Fasting." This has been a life changer for me as I have taken on intermittent fasting.

Intermittent fasting, of the 5:2 format, is popular enough here that recipe collections appear on a quarterly basis. You can see their archive here for things to try.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5854 on: August 06, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5855 on: August 18, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5856 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:21 PM »
the confessions of saint Augustine
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #5857 on: August 18, 2018, 03:16:21 PM »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5858 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
Just finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas / Agatha Christie.  Another page turner.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5859 on: August 20, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Neil Gaiman's, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" on audio during a long car drive over the weekend.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5860 on: August 20, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Reading Dune for the first time. Already thoroughly spoiled for me via the movie and related youtube videos. Still enjoying it as technical storytelling excellence, though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:30:35 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5861 on: August 20, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
Reading Dune for the first time. Already thoroughly spoiled for me via the movie and related youtube videos. Still enjoying it as technical storytelling excellence, though.
I thought you had already read it from what you told me about what you write yourself.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5862 on: August 20, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
I thought you had already read it from what you told me about what you write yourself.

I'm very influenced by the film lol (though I always knew the book was better, it's just taken me until now to get to it. I'm about a third of the way through).

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5863 on: August 22, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
Calling out to sci-fi fans - 12 free stories until 10pm PST tonight!

https://alisoningleby.com/alteruvium-expanse-series/
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5864 on: August 22, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
Do they disappear after Kindle's free trial expires (I mean, if you don't start paying)?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5865 on: August 22, 2018, 07:31:19 PM »
Do they disappear after Kindle's free trial expires (I mean, if you don't start paying)?

As far as I know, the Kindle app is entirely free, and your content is not tied to specific devices, so they should remain on your cloud indefinitely.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5866 on: August 22, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »

As far as I know, the Kindle app is entirely free, and your content is not tied to specific devices, so they should remain on your cloud indefinitely.

Oh, ok. Thanks :)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #5867 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #5868 on: August 22, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5869 on: August 23, 2018, 01:32:14 AM »
"Contemporary Art," Charlotte Bonham-Carter and David Hodge
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5870 on: August 23, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
Ellen Douglas' "The Rock Cried Out."

She died shortly before I moved to the town where she lived and worked, but I met her son through a local literary and cinema festival. I got the book for free when a former boss was cleaning out an office, and it sat on my shelves for years. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's not what I thought it would be. For literary fiction set in Mississippi, it's closer to "Jujitsu for Christ" (without, perhaps, the comedy) than it is to Faulkner.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5871 on: August 24, 2018, 12:31:42 AM »
Are there any book-length responses by Orthodox to Open Theism, or discussing that kind of topic in general?

(I looked through older threads on this, along with wiki and amazon, and some blog posts, but didn't see anything book-length from EO sources)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:31:53 AM by Asteriktos »

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5872 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
Are there any book-length responses by Orthodox to Open Theism, or discussing that kind of topic in general?

(I looked through older threads on this, along with wiki and amazon, and some blog posts, but didn't see anything book-length from EO sources)

It's probably not even on the radar for people writing Orthodox dogmatic texts hashing out arguments from 1,700 years ago. I used to hear it discussed all the time in the folly of my religion department days, but now that I think about it, the only time I've heard it in the last 10 years was specifically in a discussion with my brother when he was in (an Evangelical) seminary.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5873 on: August 24, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure OVT is much in mind for most people in general anymore, if it ever really was. The only reason I know anything about it at all is because I run in nerdy circles (and used to post on a forum run by Evangelicals who rejected from a different forum for being OVTs).

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5874 on: August 24, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5875 on: August 24, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
So annoying them by flying drones above their heads is fine, but if some missionaries go there it's a form of genocide lol?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5876 on: August 24, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
So annoying them by flying drones above their heads is fine, but if some missionaries go there it's a form of genocide lol?

What made you think the person was annoyed?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5877 on: August 24, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
He might not have been, but I'm guessing some of the uncontacted are. I was more talking about FUNAI's creepy approach in general of trying to preserve these tribes under glass.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5878 on: August 24, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »

It's probably not even on the radar for people writing Orthodox dogmatic texts hashing out arguments from 1,700 years ago. I used to hear it discussed all the time in the folly of my religion department days, but now that I think about it, the only time I've heard it in the last 10 years was specifically in a discussion with my brother when he was in (an Evangelical) seminary.

Yeah, I'm not sure OVT is much in mind for most people in general anymore, if it ever really was. The only reason I know anything about it at all is because I run in nerdy circles (and used to post on a forum run by Evangelicals who rejected from a different forum for being OVTs).

I thought it could be a good jumping-off point to talk about theology, like Hart has done with atheism, but yeah maybe it's too niche/dated. Though I think at least one member of the forum here is Orthodox and open theist. Anyway, I guess I'll be fine with the one by a Catholic I bought.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5879 on: August 24, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »

Yeah. They could all become the John Hagees of South America.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:21:40 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5880 on: August 24, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »

I'm not sure I get the reference lol (I mean, I know who Hagee is, but not the applicability to this).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5881 on: August 24, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »

I thought it could be a good jumping-off point to talk about theology, like Hart has done with atheism,

You mean, using OVT to introduce people to Orthodoxy?  ???

Though I think at least one member of the forum here is Orthodox and open theist.

Oh, I had no idea. I'm not sure how logical that is, but ok.

Anyway, I guess I'll be fine with the one by a Catholic I bought.

What is it?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5882 on: August 24, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
I don't know that Open Theism is compatible with Orthodoxy, but at the very least, since it exists in an attempt to deal with real "problems" in Scripture, it could be a good place to start to explain traditional Orthodox thought. Though now that I look at my orders on Amazon I see that I got a more general book and not one directly addressing Open Theism.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5883 on: August 24, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
I don't know that Open Theism is compatible with Orthodoxy, but at the very least, since it exists in an attempt to deal with real "problems" in Scripture, it could be a good place to start to explain traditional Orthodox thought.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5884 on: August 24, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »

I'm not sure I get the reference lol (I mean, I know who Hagee is, but not the applicability to this).

The joke was most Protestant missionaries who evangelize tend to by very zealous for all the wrong reasons. I think John Hagee pretty much embodies the worst of the worst. You don't want these locals marching on the capitol demanding Pro Zionist policies.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:59:33 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5885 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »

The joke was most Protestant missionaries who evangelize tend to by very zealous for all the wrong reasons. I think John Hagee pretty much embodies the worst of the worst. You don't want these locals marching on the capitol demanding Pro Zionist policies.

Oh, ok. Fair enough. Though we could debate whether it's better to be an Evangelical (even a crazy one) or an animistic pagan.

I'd rather see them become Orthodox, but FUNAI and most anthropologists don't seem to want to allow any of it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:39:57 PM by Volnutt »

Online Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5886 on: August 24, 2018, 10:48:12 PM »
The Presanctified Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite: A Comparative Analysis of Its Origins, Evolution, and Structural Components by Stefanos Alexopoulos

Everything you ever wanted to know about Presanctified.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:51:57 PM by Deacon Lance »
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5887 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »
Genesis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5888 on: August 25, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
The Presanctified Liturgy in the Byzantine Rite: A Comparative Analysis of Its Origins, Evolution, and Structural Components by Stefanos Alexopoulos

Everything you ever wanted to know about Presanctified.

Oh man, I’ve been looking for that for a while...

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5889 on: August 25, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
The Path to Salvation: A Manual of Spiritual Transformation / St. Theophan the Recluse.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5890 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:47 PM »

I've been meaning to read another Daniel Keyes book for a while. Merely by coincidence, it is dedicated to "the victims of child abuse, especially those in hiding"

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5891 on: August 26, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
I read V for Vendetta this afternoon. Had never gotten around to it, and the Kindle allows me to enlarge the individual panels.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5892 on: August 26, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
I read V for Vendetta this afternoon. Had never gotten around to it, and the Kindle allows me to enlarge the individual panels.

How did you like it?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5893 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:34 AM »

Come at me bro

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5894 on: August 27, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »