OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 02:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 383828 times) Average Rating: 5
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #585 on: December 02, 2007, 06:57:23 PM »

And Communist propaganda. Wink Wink

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »

Just discovered a new (for me) old author-historian, a Russian named Boris Bashilov. (For those who read Russian, several of his books are published online in the XRONOS library, http://www.hrono.info/literatura.html ) Most unusual experience: Bashilov makes a very thorough revision of the entire history of the Russian state, beginning from the 13-th century (St. Alexander Nevsky) all the way to almost our times (he died in emigration, in Argentina, in 1970). Through and through, he keeps bashing what he calls "inobesie," the invasion of foreign hostile forces, mostly Freemasonic, into the course of Russian history. While I do realize that Bashilov's take on history is most subjective and even bordering on weird, it was very interesting for me to read Bashilov's sharply negative evaluation of some figures that I was indoctrinated to take as positive (e.g., Nikita Zotov, Lefort, P. Gordon, count Osterman, Antioch Kantemir, Sumarokov, Emperor Alexander I), and his generous praise of those whom I have been always used to take as negative (e.g. Emperors Paul I and Nicholas I).

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »

The upheavel of a move to Australia seems to have left me thoroughly happy, but mentally exhausted. As a consequence, I have given up struggling to read anything that even hints of effort. I am presently reading "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci", Volumes 1 and 2, by Diana Wynne Jones. I've only recently discovered Jones, (a student of both C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien) who is the very imaginative author of "Howl's Moving Castle" and many, many more.

The two books of the chronicles contain a total of four stories and are set (quoting the blurb on the back cover) "In the multiple parallel universe of the Twelve Related Worlds, only an enchanter with nine lives is powerful enough to control the rampant misuse of magic - and to hold the title Chrestomanci..."

The first book is such a thoroughly enjoyable read, I have ordered more. 

God be with us all.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #588 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:48 PM »

Diana Wynne Jones is wonderful.  I met her once at a Science Fiction convention outside of Boston years and years ago.  She can be quite funny, too.  I recommend the "Tough Guide to Fantasy" a volume set up like a travel guide book that has entries on the various common peoples, themes and items in fantasy books.  Then there's "Dirk of Darkholm" (sp?) which is sent in a world where "tours" from our world come through a la fantasy novels and Dirk, a nice familyman wizard is chosen to be that year's "Dark Lord" and his wife is to be the "Sorceress".

Where did you move to Australia *from*?

I was reading Civil War history for the last week of my class, and now I'll be going over the text before taking the final exam.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #589 on: December 17, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »

Diana Wynne Jones is wonderful.  I met her once at a Science Fiction convention outside of Boston years and years ago.  She can be quite funny, too.  I recommend the "Tough Guide to Fantasy" a volume set up like a travel guide book that has entries on the various common peoples, themes and items in fantasy books.  Then there's "Dirk of Darkholm" (sp?) which is sent in a world where "tours" from our world come through a la fantasy novels and Dirk, a nice familyman wizard is chosen to be that year's "Dark Lord" and his wife is to be the "Sorceress".

I agree, her stories are wildly imaginative and humourous. I'm obviously going to be a great fan. I've already ordered Howl's Moving Castle and Conrad's Fate. A friend has suggested the "Tough Guide to Fantasy", which sounds like an interesting read, so I will probably get that next.

Having finished the first two books in one, I'm finding more and more of Diana Wynne Jones' "influence" in the Harry Potter books. I read somewhere that DWJ has noticed this, too.   

Where did you move to Australia *from*?

I consider myself fortunate enough to be part of the "great exodus" from New Zealand; along with hubby and cat/deity, who doesn't seem to be quite over the fact that Egyptians worshipped his kind.  Grin

The really great thing is that our younger daughter, her hubby and six kids moved with us. Had they not wanted to make the move as much as we did, we would still be in the "Land of the Long Grey Cloud".

God be with you.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #590 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:18 PM »

Re-reading The Silmarillion after watching all three extended edition Lord of the Rings films. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #591 on: December 17, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

"The Zombie Survival Guide" for spiritual enlightenment.

And for light reading, "Moby Dick"

jayjay

« Reply #592 on: December 18, 2007, 12:29:43 AM »

"The Great War" by Les Carlyon - Great book on WW1

"The Law of God" - Second time round.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #593 on: December 18, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

"The Zombie Survival Guide" for spiritual enlightenment.

And for light reading, "Moby Dick"

laugh

Ah, yes, Moby Dick, where Ishmael cuddles with Queequeg all night long and then the seamen blissfully squeeze sperm (oil) all day.....My college class had lots of fun with that book.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #594 on: December 19, 2007, 12:54:06 AM »

laugh

Ah, yes, Moby Dick, where Ishmael cuddles with Queequeg all night long and then the seamen blissfully squeeze sperm (oil) all day.....My college class had lots of fun with that book.

I can see how the guys would get a lot of perverse glee out of this.  YIKES! Shocked
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #595 on: December 19, 2007, 12:56:02 AM »

Well, the title alone can be shocking to the unprepared mind.  I believe in future generations, it shall be called Mobey Richard

Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #596 on: December 19, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »

LOL

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #597 on: December 19, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »

I've been savouring Pushkin's "History of Peter I" (http://www.hrono.info/libris/lib_p/push_petr1_02.html)

Here's one excerpt that gives an idea about "theological" discourses of those times...

Вскоре после того (?) стрельцы под предводительством расстриги попа Никиты производят новый мятеж, вторгаются в соборную церковь во время служения, изгоняют патриарха и духовенство, которое скрывается в Грановитую палату. Старый Хованский представляет патриарху и царям требования мятежников о словопрении с Никитой. Стрельцы входят с налоем и свечами и с каменьями за пазухой, подают царям челобитную. Начинается словопрение. Патриарх и холмогорский архиепископ Афанасий (бывший некогда раскольником) вступают в феологический спор. Настает шум, летят каменья (сказка о Петре, будто бы усмирившем смятение). Бояре при помощи стрельцов-нераскольников изгоняют наконец бешеных феологов. Никита и главные мятежники схвачены и казнены 6 июня.

(A short summary in English: In May 1681, Old Believer "theologians" came to debate "theology" to the Patriarch and brought with them stones hidden in the folds of their garments. In the midst of the "theology" debate these stones were put to use, so that the armed guards (the loyal "strel'tsy") had to be called in and end the "debate." The "rabid theologians" (Pushkin's term) were eventually, after much fight, pushed out from the Patriarch's palace. On June 6,  the leader of the "theology" "debate" from the Old Believers' side, a priest called Nikita, and a few others were seized and executed.)  Roll Eyes

Love never fails.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #598 on: December 23, 2007, 01:33:11 AM »

I consider myself fortunate enough to be part of the "great exodus" from New Zealand; along with hubby and cat/deity, who doesn't seem to be quite over the fact that Egyptians worshipped his kind.  Grin

The really great thing is that our younger daughter, her hubby and six kids moved with us. Had they not wanted to make the move as much as we did, we would still be in the "Land of the Long Grey Cloud".

Ah.  I didn't know that there was an "exodus" from New Zealand.  I'd read some time back that there were a number of folks who wanted to move there.

"long grey cloud"?  I reckon that's  a take on Aotearoa and "white cloud" or is that a mistranslation?  I'm just curious.

I'm glad you like DWJ.  She's quite good.

I'm done with my American History Class, so I'm reading more of other books.  I'm leafing though Tales of Ise a translated Japanese work from around the earlier Heian era. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #599 on: December 23, 2007, 02:58:47 AM »

"long grey cloud"?  I reckon that's  a take on Aotearoa and "white cloud" or is that a mistranslation?  I'm just curious.

Yes, my own take on the "white cloud", because it seems to rain incessantly. The Maoris must have sighted NZ on a good day. Smiley

I'm glad you like DWJ.  She's quite good.

I wonder it took so long for me to discover DWJ; now that I have, I'm rather taken with her.

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #600 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »

This evening, I started reading Nicholas Afanasiev, The Church of the Holy Spirit.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #601 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Axe-Interpretive-History-Russian/dp/0394708466
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #602 on: January 12, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »

Just finished reading "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Conrad's Fate" by Diana Wynne Jones. I've run out of her books to read. Sad Oh well, now I'll start on "Finding Darwin's God" by Ken Miller.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #603 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:39 AM »

Along with The Eucharist by Fr. Schmemann, I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath by my favorite American author, John Steinbeck.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #604 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »

How funny. . . I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle too! I expect to have that finished in another hour or so. Then I'll read The Ladies of Grace Adieu (collection of short stories) by Susanna Clarke. After that I need to get reading the Eucharist, and after that I've promised to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. 

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #605 on: January 14, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »

I just finished Howl myself last week.  Currently I'm reading Your Baby's First Year and being a paranoid mom over every squeak, grunt, and cry Cait makes.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #606 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

I just finished Howl myself last week.  Currently I'm reading Your Baby's First Year and being a paranoid mom over every squeak, grunt, and cry Cait makes.

Ah, yes, I remember those days! Have you ran into Cait's room in 'panic mode' the first night she slept through it yet? I know I did!

Currently I'm reading Eshbach's Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals as well as Harold Wass' Sprinkler Hydraulics, reminiscing about my pre-priest life and how simple it once was... Roll Eyes

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #607 on: January 14, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »

Then I'll read The Ladies of Grace Adieu (collection of short stories) by Susanna Clarke. After that I need to get reading the Eucharist, and after that I've promised to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. 

Do you mind telling us how you like The Ladies of Grace Adieu when you're finished?  Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is one of my favorite books so I was thinking of picking up The Ladies...

Currently starting to read a book I picked up last year and have not gotten around to- The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue.

Is there anyone who can read Latin and translate the following please:  "There exist in this world a range of sublunary spirits that carminibus coelo possunt deducere lunam..."   (I just hate it when authors put in lines of french, latin, spanish, whatever and don't give a translation somewhere.  This is on Page 1, Chapter 1, so I hope the rest of the book isn't going to continue this trend).

Thanks

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #608 on: January 14, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »

Ah, yes, I remember those days! Have you ran into Cait's room in 'panic mode' the first night she slept through it yet? I know I did!

Oh yeah.  Sneaking to her crib to hover over her and see if she's still breathing when she's been too quiet for too long is a pasttime at our house.  Tongue  Incidentally, she's slept through the last two nights in a row.  (WOOHOO!)

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #609 on: January 14, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »

Is there anyone who can read Latin and translate the following please:  "There exist in this world a range of sublunary spirits that carminibus coelo possunt deducere lunam..."   (I just hate it when authors put in lines of french, latin, spanish, whatever and don't give a translation somewhere.

"through incantations can lead the moon off the sky."
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #610 on: January 14, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

"through incantations can lead the moon off the sky."

Thank you so much Augustin!  That helps a lot. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #611 on: January 14, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

Do you mind telling us how you like The Ladies of Grace Adieu when you're finished?  Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is one of my favorite books so I was thinking of picking up The Ladies...

I shall be happy to! I just finished Howl a little bit ago, and will be starting to read the other in a few minutes. Smiley

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #612 on: January 15, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »

Perfectly normal.  We were like that with our 3 and yes, we had the same reaction to the sleeping through the night "Is he/she dead?!?".  Then they would have nights where they *didn't* sleep through so that we wouldn't get complacent or something like that.  Smiley

I quite liked the stories in The Ladies of Grace Adieu.  I read that before starting Strange/Norell

Ebor

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #613 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

I imagine by the time I get used to her sleeping that well she's go through a growth spurt and keep me up all night for a week or so.  They know when they're slipping out of the center of attention!

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #614 on: January 16, 2008, 02:19:18 PM »

They know when they're slipping out of the center of attention!

You can be sure some children know exactly how to stay the center of attention, especially the second or middle ones.  My 5 yo thinks any songs with the word "poop, poopoohead, butt", you get the picture are sure to draw attention.  He did have a rather funny one he kept singing on a car trip recently we called "Udders".   

"I love my udders, udders, udders, love my udders, udders, udders"   

Funny the first or second time, not the 25th. 

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #615 on: January 16, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

LOL!

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #616 on: January 16, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »

That's what I get for nursing him till he was almost 3 yo!  His best one - "Mommy that cow has breasts just like you".

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #617 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »

Ouch.   laugh

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #618 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

That's what I get for nursing him till he was almost 3 yo!  His best one - "Mommy that cow has breasts just like you".

LOL - Don't you wish that you could buy gags for kids? Kind of makes you long for the good old days when children were "seen and not heard". Grin

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #619 on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:11 PM »

I refuse to believe there was any time when children were not heard. Shocked

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #620 on: January 16, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »

I'm still hoping there was just one day the Mother of God had to take the Lord out of the Temple for acting up. 

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #621 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »

I refuse to believe there was any time when children were not heard. Shocked

Over the course of history there have been some pretty draconion child-rearing techniques; where children were definitely seen and not heard unless they wished to suffer particularly nasty consquences. 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #622 on: January 16, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

True. I meant only that my own can be rather loud when she wants to be. Smiley

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #623 on: January 16, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »

True. I meant only that my own can be rather loud when she wants to be. Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst,

And thank God that she is!  Grin Thank God we don't have to confirm to rigid social restraints where our children can't be themselves once in a while. Of course, I'm not advocating no discipline, but who would want to go back to the "good old days" really?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #624 on: January 16, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »

Though to save us from embarrassment, a little duct tape would go a long way.  Cheesy

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #625 on: January 17, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

LOL!  Yep, she's got lungs for sure.

The Iambic Pen

Faith: Catholic - Church of Old Rome
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #626 on: January 17, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

I just started reading An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, by John Henry Cardinal Newman.  After I finish, just to balance things out, I plan to read Bishop Ware's The Orthodox Church.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #627 on: January 19, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »

I've split off the cat conversation to the Other Topics board under this link:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=14382.0.  --EofK   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:17:40 PM by EofK » Logged

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #628 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:34 PM »

"Three views of Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism"; there are five or six different contributors; each writes an essay and all the others critique it and then the original writer gets a rebuttal. For former evangelicals it is an excellent clarifier of what one has left and why, free of the sometimes animosity converts sometimes have toward their past. For cradles it offers a clear view of several "flavors" of protestant evangelicals, free of the stereotyping and strawmen and just really ridiculous over-simplifying of evangelical protestant  doctrinal positions. The Orthodox contributors do quite an excellent job presenting their positions. It is an excellent book and I would recommend it to all. I think Zondervan is the publisher.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #629 on: January 27, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »

Just finished Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works and it was a fantastic book. Now I'm reading New Confessors of Russia Vol.1, Nizhny-Novgorod Province.
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: