Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1466413 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5760 on: June 09, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
They didn't teach Pokemon in my high schools or colleges, just French, German and Spanish :(

That's unfortunate. It's a rich and beautiful tongue.

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5761 on: June 09, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
Going over the info on the newly leaked 1997 prerelease demo of Pokemon Gold and Silver (which has an incomplete prototype behind it in the coding).

It's got unused Pokemon (including lots of superfluous Baby Forms as well as strange things that I actually wish we got like a shark with an anchor for a tale and an evolution for Ditto of all things).

Also, weird unused items like the Poison Stone (Umbreon is actually Poison in this, Bellossom was also Grass/Poison at this point, and Weepinbell had a hilarious looking alternate evo to match it), the Ice Bikini (would have been a permanent Yache Berry, I think, there's one for most types of moves in the game) and the Skateboard instead of the bike.

Correction, it has both the Skateboard and the Bike. Early shades of X and Y.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5762 on: June 12, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5763 on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
"Hyperspace" was very interesting. If I recall correctly, Dr. Kaku says there are 14 dimensions. :)

I am getting ready to start "Death in the Air" by Kate Dawson again, as well as "Fire on the Track" and "The Matchless Six," about American and Canadian teams in the Olympics.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Halik

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Fulda
« Reply #5764 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
Has anybody read "Jesus Christ" by Hilarion Aleyev?
“We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You, because by Your holy cross, You have redeemed the world."
(St. Francis of Assisi)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #5765 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
orthodox Christian books: teachings of the desert fathers, orthodox church, orthodox way, holy Rus, the Philokalia, Byzantium, the way of a pilgrim, lost sayings of Jesus, the making of Orthodox Byzantium, history of the Byzantine state, Russian fairy tales, Russian magic tales from Pushkin to platon, the Apocrypha revised edition, old bibles, the book of bibles, orthodox study bible, revised standered bible KJV bible, NIV new testament and psalms, Jordanville prayer book, book of common prayer. 

gospodi pomului!

kyrie eleison!

lord have mercy!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5766 on: June 16, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
orthodox Christian books: teachings of the desert fathers, orthodox church, orthodox way, holy Rus, the Philokalia, Byzantium, the way of a pilgrim, lost sayings of Jesus, the making of Orthodox Byzantium, history of the Byzantine state, Russian fairy tales, Russian magic tales from Pushkin to platon, the Apocrypha revised edition, old bibles, the book of bibles, orthodox study bible, revised standered bible KJV bible, NIV new testament and psalms, Jordanville prayer book, book of common prayer. 

gospodi pomului!

kyrie eleison!

lord have mercy!

All of them at the same time? (Also, the BCP is not Orthodox, but eh.)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5767 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

gospodi pomului!

kyrie eleison!

lord have mercy!

All of them at the same time? (Also, the BCP is not Orthodox, but eh.)

No not all at the same time  :) and I agree BCP is not orthodox but for about what was weeks I kept seeing that book on the shelf in the bookstore it's an antique prayer book!  does no one in this generation care about their sins! so I got it but I do not pray anything from it!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5768 on: June 20, 2018, 11:56:39 PM »

The first first comic/graphic novel I've ever read. Am I a real nerd™ now?  8)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5769 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:27 AM »
Snyder, Timothy (2018) The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe, America. New York: Tim Dugan Books.

His section on Russian philosopher Ivan Ilyin is especially interesting.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5770 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:56 AM »

How did you like it?

I know you're joking, but I seriously hate gate keepers (and the idea that "nerd" is some kind of quantifiable state that one might or might not "really" qualify for).

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5771 on: June 21, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
I know you're joking, but I seriously hate gate keepers (and the idea that "nerd" is some kind of quantifiable state that one might or might not "really" qualify for).

All I'm saying is, if no one gave you swirlies or called you Satanic for playing D&D in grade school (or some equivalent) you don't get to call yourself a nerd.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5772 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »

All I'm saying is, if no one gave you swirlies or called you Satanic for playing D&D in grade school (or some equivalent) you don't get to call yourself a nerd.

If you never had to lie about reading about book about Elves for your own protection...
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5773 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5774 on: June 21, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »

LOL.

All I got was people calling me gay for liking Pokemon...

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5775 on: June 21, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
All I got was people calling me gay for liking Pokemon...

Sorry.

Nerd hierarchy demanded passing it on.

I repent.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5776 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »

My mother was twitchy about the artwork in my White Wolf game books well into the 21st century, and my 30s.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5777 on: June 21, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

My mother was twitchy about the artwork in my White Wolf game books well into the 21st century, and my 30s.

Yeah, the artwork got my Book of the Wyrm confiscated in school.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5778 on: June 21, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »

Yeah, the artwork got my Book of the Wyrm confiscated in school.

LOL.

The 90s were a weird time in the U.S. The spread of Wicca amongst teens had administrators at my school looking twice at the covers of stuff as tame as Ann McCaffery novels and Blair Witch tie-in books. Administrators never managed to touch the actual majick manuals, though, despite them circulating like prison cigarettes amongst the wide-leg jean crowd.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5779 on: June 21, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
Ha. Those were the days when Hot Topic was your one-stop-shop for identity and religion.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5780 on: June 21, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »
Ha. Those were the days when Hot Topic was your one-stop-shop for identity and religion.

those were the days!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5781 on: June 21, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »

those were the days!

In Russia too?

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5782 on: June 21, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

those were the days!

In Russia too?

nah just tryna be relatable!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5783 on: June 21, 2018, 01:38:09 PM »
I was going to say, we did some horrible things to you in the 90's but importing Hot Topic would have been the crowning indignity.

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #5784 on: June 21, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Nobody ever noticed all the Conan books I read as a youngster. Nor the few Gor books.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5785 on: June 21, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
I was going to say, we did some horrible things to you in the 90's but importing Hot Topic would have been the crowning indignity.

America: See what the free market can bring you?

Russia: I miss the days when there weren't enough potatoes.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5786 on: June 21, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
Nobody ever noticed all the Conan books I read as a youngster. Nor the few Gor books.

You obviously weren't reading them loudly enough.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5787 on: June 21, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

America: See what the free market can bring you?

Russia: I miss the days when there weren't enough potatoes.

ha ha!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5788 on: June 21, 2018, 05:07:24 PM »

How did you like it?

I'm about a quarter of the way through, but it's too early to tell. I can say that there's a good deal more exposition than I expected. Also trying to figure out to what degree it's just a stand alone story, and how much of it can be considered 'canonical' (you never know with Dragon Age--the novels sometimes contradict the games, even when the same writer worked on both).

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5789 on: June 22, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »
Arkas comics. He's polling his FB followers on which of his (22) series is their favourite and I felt like going over my stash again. It's going to take awhile, though - nearly 60 books, and it's not even everything he's done.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5790 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
The Collected Poems of Jack Kerouac.
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #5791 on: July 02, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5792 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50:46 AM »
I got a copy of DBH's New Testament.

I guess I'm a sucker for the Hart boys.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5793 on: July 03, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
the book of 3 kingdoms

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5794 on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »
Earliest evidence of humans outside Africa

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44797323

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5795 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #5796 on: July 15, 2018, 05:47:20 AM »
I've read Londonistan by Gautam Malkani translated into Polish. I'm not sure about English original, but in Polish it's full of rich vulgarisms - I see the point to use them in such kind of book, but in some moments because of their plentity it was difficult to read the book.
Anyway, the book is more than 10 years, but it still be up-to-date, maybe even more now. It's about second generation of Indus and Pakistanis living in the suburbs of London; don't know how does it look in reality, in the book they're actually only Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus.
The end is surpsring and after a few days after I read the book, it's still giving some food for thought.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5797 on: July 15, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
Returning to The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware). Not that it's any hard read, but I feel like I understand it in a deeper way now I have more context.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #5798 on: July 16, 2018, 01:27:47 AM »

So far so good...

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5799 on: July 16, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5800 on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Returning to The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware). Not that it's any hard read, but I feel like I understand it in a deeper way now I have more context.

Funny how that works.

I have a similar experience with a number of books read early in my Ortho-slouch upwards, except in my case I've found that reading them sober makes a tremendous difference on comprehension and retention.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #5801 on: July 19, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
St. Innocent of Alaska - Indication of the Way into the Kingdom of Heaven: An Introduction to Christian Life

This might be the best intro book to Christianity I've read yet.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5802 on: July 19, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
Funny how that works.

I have a similar experience with a number of books read early in my Ortho-slouch upwards, except in my case I've found that reading them sober makes a tremendous difference on comprehension and retention.
You were inebriated with the Spirit of God or...?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #5803 on: July 19, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
Funny how that works.

The spirits of God.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5804 on: July 19, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
Funny how that works.

Carbombs made with gas station ingredients. Lot of self medicating in the early days.