Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1378893 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5715 on: May 25, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
What's the point of a funny pen name if you're going to spoil it two lines later?

A guy being behind it adds an extra layer of funny, especially for anyone familiar with Blackadder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ZuapDOBbM

03:40-06:20 is where it's at.

I know the episode. I just think it's kind pointless to immediately spoil on the cover that it's a guy writing. Makes it less funny.

Why?

Kind of ruins the joke by explaining it too quickly rather than letting the reader find out later, like at the end of the story. Just imo, though.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5716 on: May 25, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »
What's the point of a funny pen name if you're going to spoil it two lines later?

A guy being behind it adds an extra layer of funny, especially for anyone familiar with Blackadder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ZuapDOBbM

03:40-06:20 is where it's at.

I know the episode. I just think it's kind pointless to immediately spoil on the cover that it's a guy writing. Makes it less funny.

Why?

Kind of ruins the joke by explaining it too quickly rather than letting the reader find out later, like at the end of the story. Just imo, though.

A lot of readers wouldn't get the joke at all because they have no idea what a merkin is, so they'd take the name at face value. A lot of others would be positively gleeful because the material actually encourages gems like these.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5717 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
Reading & Writing Secular Material
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5718 on: May 25, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »
Alright, fair enough :)
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5719 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »
"Banewreaker," by Jacqueline Carey
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #5720 on: May 28, 2018, 03:05:41 AM »
Dolphin "happiness" measured by scientists in France

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44273624

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5721 on: May 28, 2018, 03:49:23 AM »

Another study found that dolphins were 17% less happy when their lives were without porpoise, and 21% less when they often felt eel.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5722 on: May 28, 2018, 03:59:47 AM »

Another study found that dolphins were 17% less happy when their lives were without porpoise, and 21% less when they often felt eel.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5723 on: May 28, 2018, 04:09:38 AM »

Sometimes they even get so sad that they whale. I think the syndrome is called molamolancholia.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:10:03 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5724 on: May 28, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »
The Forgotten Desert Mothers a little bit at a time.

And The House at Pooh Corner:laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5725 on: May 28, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
How is it so far? I've been thinking about picking up a copy.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5726 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
"The Queen of Blood," Sarah Durst

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5727 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:14 PM »

Well it's one of the first lives-of-the-saints type books I've picked up, so I don't really have any basis for comparison, but I'm enjoying the beginnings of a fuller picture of the first several centuries and am gleaning things here and there.  It's relatively short and I'm thinking it might be a digest version?  The author quotes the biographers of several women, which I'm assuming means there are larger works I might want to track down later.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5728 on: May 28, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »

Well it's one of the first lives-of-the-saints type books I've picked up, so I don't really have any basis for comparison, but I'm enjoying the beginnings of a fuller picture of the first several centuries and am gleaning things here and there.  It's relatively short and I'm thinking it might be a digest version?  The author quotes the biographers of several women, which I'm assuming means there are larger works I might want to track down later.

They might not exist in English or they might be unpublished (or exist only as a reference work in a single university library). Historians can be squirrely like that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:45:10 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5729 on: May 29, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »

They might not exist in English or they might be unpublished (or exist only as a reference work in a single university library). Historians can be squirrely like that.
Oh right; I keep forgetting.  Well I guess "track down" and "later" would take on quite a new meaning, then!   ;D

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #5730 on: June 02, 2018, 06:16:10 AM »
Dwyer, Rachel - What Do Hindus Believe?
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=-XFtAAAAQBAJ

The amount of gods, incarnations, avatars who all have several different names makes my head spin.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:16:52 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5731 on: June 02, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Feminism and Tradition by Father Lawrence Farley.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5733 on: June 05, 2018, 02:04:23 AM »
Makes sense. Hybrids in nature are often stronger than the originals.

Part of me thinks "Daily Mail, therefore BS," but then I wonder why they as a gutter rag wouldn't pander to racists.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5734 on: June 05, 2018, 03:24:43 AM »

Part of me thinks "Daily Mail, therefore BS," but then I wonder why they as a gutter rag wouldn't pander to racists.

What made me roll my eyes was that DM didn't even bother to link to the study itself, while the Guardian does. Only a brief abstract for the lay reader, though.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5735 on: June 05, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
One: it's impossible to create a hybrid when dealing with two members of the same species.
And two: pop culture and sensationalism.  Whatever that means to their current audience, that's what gutter rags will turn out.

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5736 on: June 05, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »

What made me roll my eyes was that DM didn't even bother to link to the study itself, while the Guardian does. Only a brief abstract for the lay reader, though.
There is no mention of race or racial in the article. They are measuring the degree of homozygosity in populations (lack of genetic diversity).

The most homozygous communities are the Old Order Amish from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; Schmiedeleut Hutterites from South Dakota; Northern Swedish population; Ogliastra genetic park in Sardinia; Friuli-Venezia-Giulia genetic park in Italy;  Hellenic isolates from Pomak villages in Thrace, and some region in the Philippines.
The greatest genetic diversity is found in much of Africa, so if we want to be taller and smarter we need to breed with them.
I didn't read the newspaper articles, so I do not know if they made this clear already.

If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5737 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:36 PM »
One: it's impossible to create a hybrid when dealing with two members of the same species.
And two: pop culture and sensationalism.  Whatever that means to their current audience, that's what gutter rags will turn out.

You're right. That was really bad phrasing on my part. I guess I just meant genetic diversity is probably better than not :-[

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5738 on: June 05, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
"The Plantagenets,"  Dan Jones.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5739 on: June 05, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
"The Plantagenets,"  Dan Jones.

That's a good one.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5740 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »
'A World of Vampires' by Dani Hoots. It's a series of nine (so far) novellas, each one set in a different culture and dealing with vampires according to the local pattern. Thoroughly enjoyable quick reads.

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5741 on: June 05, 2018, 07:43:15 PM »
You'd think the last place an anthropologist from plague world would want to visit would be the Black Death.

How is it? I'm always on the look out for sci-fi that includes Christian characters without being either a disguised sermon or a hatchet job. The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russell are both pretty good.

I'll get back to you on this, but I'm still working through it (I had a rough few weeks with reading--except some N.F. on kindle when I was on the bus--and got side tracked)...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5742 on: June 05, 2018, 08:11:18 PM »
No hurry!

What is N.F.?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5743 on: June 05, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
Oh, just meant non-fiction :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5744 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:09 PM »

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5745 on: June 05, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
In light of his recent passing, I'm re-reading John Julius Norwich's Byzantium:  The Apogee.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5746 on: June 06, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
Reading several things at the moment depending on the time of day, what day it is and my mood.

-Red Pine's translation of the collected songs of Cold Mountain, Big Stick and Pickup.
-The Common English Bible, a translation that borders on commentary.
-"Firestorm at Peshtigo: A Town, Its People, and the Deadliest Fire in American History," by Denise Gess and William Lutz
-Wendell Berry's "On This Day: New and Collected Sabbath Poems"
-"The Dream of God: A Call to Return," by Verna J. Dozier
-"Dark Night of the Soul," by St. John of the Cross

I recently read "Alexander Schmorell: Saint of the German Resistance," by Elena Perekrestov and Addison Hart's "The Ox-Herder and the Good Shepherd," both of which could be finished in an afternoon.

Next up is a book about the Nestorian church in medieval China.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:10:02 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5747 on: June 06, 2018, 03:34:13 PM »

What's it called?

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #5748 on: June 06, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »

What's it called?

The Jesus Sutras.

It's a dumb title, but it looks like a decent exploration of how Christianity was expressed in the cultural terms of the day.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5749 on: June 06, 2018, 05:04:51 PM »

What's it called?

The Jesus Sutras.

It's a dumb title, but it looks like a decent exploration of how Christianity was expressed in the cultural terms of the day.

Oh, ok. Yeah, that's the same book I've heard of. I keep meaning to get it.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5750 on: June 07, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
St Maximus the Confessor's Ambigua to Thomas; almost finished, and then comes the huge Ambigua to John.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5751 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
St Maximus the Confessor's Ambigua to Thomas; almost finished, and then comes the huge Ambigua to John.

That can be taken a few different ways.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #5752 on: June 07, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »

Examples?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5753 on: June 07, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »

Examples?

I think his post works better when it's left ambigua...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5754 on: June 07, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »

Examples?

It was just a pun.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #5755 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
Curiosity Rover Finds Ancient "Building Blocks for Life" on Mars

https://www.space.com/40819-mars-methane-organics-curiosity-rover.html

Offline Brilko

• Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #5756 on: June 07, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »

Examples?

It was just a pun.

Can you be more specific?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5757 on: June 07, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »

Examples?

It was just a pun.

Can you be more specific?

Depends on what you mean by that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5758 on: June 09, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
Going over the info on the newly leaked 1997 prerelease demo of Pokemon Gold and Silver (which has an incomplete prototype behind it in the coding).

It's got unused Pokemon (including lots of superfluous Baby Forms as well as strange things that I actually wish we got like a shark with an anchor for a tale and an evolution for Ditto of all things).

Also, weird unused items like the Poison Stone (Umbreon is actually Poison in this, Bellossom was also Grass/Poison at this point, and Weepinbell had a hilarious looking alternate evo to match it), the Ice Bikini (would have been a permanent Yache Berry, I think, there's one for most types of moves in the game) and the Skateboard instead of the bike.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:15:41 AM by Volnutt »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5759 on: June 09, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
They didn't teach Pokemon in my high schools or colleges, just French, German and Spanish :(