OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 361811 times) Average Rating: 5
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #540 on: September 08, 2007, 01:33:29 AM »

Philokalia Vol. #4

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #541 on: September 10, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »

Philokalia Vol. #4

Why am I not surprised that you're reading something that deep?  Wink  I'm too scared to touch it, myself.  Tongue

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #542 on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »

Just finished "Canaries on the Rim".  Am part way through "Rising Tide" and "Windscale 1957".  Continuously reading "Discipline and Discharge in Arbitration".

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #543 on: September 12, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

I am working on The Idiot by Dostoevsky.  It like Brothers is not the easiest book I have ever read but I am enjoying it anyway.

Please let me know when you finish this. Which translation are you using?
I can't believe how long it has taken me to get through this one - 24 pages to go...(pant, pant)
When I finally viewed online the painting by Holbein which was the catalyst for this novel, I was not as taken with it as Dostoevsky is described to have been.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2007, 11:19:40 AM »

FYI, there's a great public domain audiobook library here:
http://librivox.org/

I listened to "Notes From the Underground" by Dostoyevsky, it was excellent.

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2007, 01:12:34 PM »

FYI, there's a great public domain audiobook library here:
http://librivox.org/

I listened to "Notes From the Underground" by Dostoyevsky, it was excellent.

An excellent read, yes; incredible, in fact, especially for the period.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »

My students' tests. Wish I had time for something deeper. I need to pick up Dostoyevsky; he's been on my shelf about two years now, untouched.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2007, 03:46:05 PM »

My students' tests. Wish I had time for something deeper. I need to pick up Dostoyevsky; he's been on my shelf about two years now, untouched.

Which one(s), works, that is?

I just today started my second read of his The Demons.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:46:58 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:25 AM »

Hey, Y,

I knew you were a teacher (as am I), but I don't know your subject.  Please tell.

I'm in for  long weekend of reading tests myself, mainly checking Latin verb and noun paradigms.  Are your tests covering stuff so trite and boring as this?   Wish I had the time to devote to Claudius the God, which, I am sorry to say, is not as good a read as I, Claudius.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »

Which one(s), works, that is?
Idiot and Brothers Karamazov. I figured these were a good place to start.

Hey, Y,

I knew you were a teacher (as am I), but I don't know your subject.  Please tell.

I'm in for  long weekend of reading tests myself, mainly checking Latin verb and noun paradigms.  Are your tests covering stuff so trite and boring as this?   Wish I had the time to devote to Claudius the God, which, I am sorry to say, is not as good a read as I, Claudius.
Oh, yes, trite. I teach languages, Spanish and English. My Spanish tests are always full of Spanish verb conjugations--it's quite similar to your tests. My English tests are mostly literature, which is interesting, but I have a couple of grammar tests each year too, and those are boring indeed. Six pages of identifying parts of speech and correcting grammatical errors in sample sentences. Grading tests has to be the second worst part of my job, but it's also one of the most important parts.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »

This is just a thread to ask what everyone is reading.  Till Wendsday I will be reading nothing other than textbooks, but after that---ooh man do I ever have a stack to get through.  As soon as I am done with my finals, I am making it top priority to finish Law of God.

Joe Zollars

Tell me how Law of God is going so far.  I've wanted to buy it for a long time, but was hesitant to drop $50.  I like the fact it's in hard cover.  I wish so many Orthodox books were bound that way.  The paperbacks get yellow and ratty with time and they are usually books you'll go back to over and over.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »

I, Claudius.[/i]

I, Claudius.  The book was great, but I absolutely loved the Masterpiece Theatre adaptation in the 70's.  I was about 13 and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »

Grading tests has to be the second worst part of my job, but it's also one of the most important parts.

Now I'm curious Mr. Y.  If grading papers is the 2nd worst, what is #1?

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:32 PM »

Disciplining kids. I hate it. Has to be done, but that doesn't mean it isn't painful.

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »

Disciplining kids. I hate it. Has to be done, but that doesn't mean it isn't painful.

My dad always laughs when people say how kids are disciplined now in schools then tells us a wonderful tale of Brother Augustin (Roman Catholic school, taught by monks) and his methods.   Tongue  How times have changed with just one generation...

Anyways, I'm enjoying a good, dry, technical read through of 'A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming'.  The joys of being back in class.   Wink Cheesy

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #555 on: September 18, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »

Well,  yesterday I was reading up on the "French and Indian War" for history class.
I've also been reading a "Disc World" book or two by Terry Pratchett, and a mystery set in Japan with Inspector Otani by Melville among other things

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2007, 05:13:41 PM »

Finally got a chance to finish Fr. Seraphim Roses's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.  Very interesting to see an Orthodox father's perspective on occultism and charismatics.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #557 on: October 12, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »

I'm on my third reading of Clarissa by Samuel Richardson.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #558 on: October 12, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »

I just finished Kite Runner by Khaled Housseini. It is a very fast and easy read, but still a very, very sad book. 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #559 on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »

Started and finished J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey yesterday. My sister sent it to me and insisted I read it (the Jesus Prayer is central to the book, sort of).

I took a break from the 'Big D' -Dostoevsky - but am returning to him tonight.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #560 on: October 25, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »

Started and finished J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey yesterday. My sister sent it to me and insisted I read it (the Jesus Prayer is central to the book, sort of).

I took a break from the 'Big D' -Dostoevsky - but am returning to him tonight.
I just read about that book today in a book I am reading (by an author who is an English professor/poet, and orthodox layman who went to Mt. Athos - can't remember the title cause it's real long)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #561 on: October 28, 2007, 11:25:44 AM »

American History in the 1815-1824 period; the latest Naomi Novak "Temeraire" book Empire of Ivory; a study of Japanese literature in the medieval period; "Usagi Yojimbo" and others depending on where I am. (doesn't everyone have books in progress in different places?  Cheesy )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #562 on: October 28, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »

Just finished Yarn Harlot (sort of a memoir/rant from an obsessive knitter) and have started Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  It's a story of two Chinese women using a secret language known only to Chinese women.  Pretty interested so far, though I could have done without the description of footbinding.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #563 on: October 28, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

I'm in the process of reading Being as Communion by John Zizioulas.  I've just started 1453 The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West by Roger Crowley.  And for fun, I'm reading Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders by John Mortimer.

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #564 on: October 29, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »

I love "Franny and Zooey." It's funny that Salinger is always associated in people's minds with his "Catcher in the Rye," while I believe his Glass saga is so much more mature and interesting.

I haven't been reading any fiction for quite a while, sorry... My last week's reading was all psychology and pedagogy - excerpts from a book by Lev Vygotsky and Alexander Luria, titled, "Ape. Primitive. Child."

Love never fails.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #565 on: October 29, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »

"Havana - Autobiography of a City"

Fascinating and another in my run of historical novels set around cities. SO far this year I ahve done Bethlehem and Jaffa

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #566 on: November 08, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

"11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour- Armistice Day 1918, World War I and Its Violent Climax" by Joseph E. Persico

It's a collection of military archives, public records, private journal entries and letters dated 11/11/1918 which gives an extraordinary insight into the lives of British, French, American and German soldiers in the trenches on the first Armistice Day. For example, Adolf Hitler was in hospital on that day, and when he heard that Germany had surrendered, he went blind, and his medical record for the day shows a Berlin Psychiatrist's entry which described the patient as "a psychopath with hysterical symptoms".
What struck me the most was the private letters of the soldiers, especially when describing the senseless and pointless fighting which took place in the last few hours of the war.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #567 on: November 08, 2007, 11:24:38 AM »

The Long Loneliness: the autobiography of Dorothy Day

Fascinating life of a fascinating woman. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2007, 11:55:40 AM »

"11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour- Armistice Day 1918, World War I and Its Violent Climax" by Joseph E. Persico

It's a collection of military archives, public records, private journal entries and letters dated 11/11/1918 which gives an extraordinary insight into the lives of British, French, American and German soldiers in the trenches on the first Armistice Day. For example, Adolf Hitler was in hospital on that day, and when he heard that Germany had surrendered, he went blind, and his medical record for the day shows a Berlin Psychiatrist's entry which described the patient as "a psychopath with hysterical symptoms".
What struck me the most was the private letters of the soldiers, especially when describing the senseless and pointless fighting which took place in the last few hours of the war.

That sounds like a very interesting book.  I'm going to look for it.

I'm reading more of my American History class text. We're up to 1820-1840. Also "Nausicaa" by Miyazaki, a volume of ranch recollections by a Montana author.

Ebor

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #569 on: November 08, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »

A book that I'm working on now, that I think most here would also enjoy is Nikolai Leskov's On the Edge of the World.  It is about a missionary bishop in Siberia.  It reads sort of as a cross of Jack London and Death Comes for the Archbishop

From the back cover:
The purpose behind the bishop's journey is to teach and baptize.  During the process he learns through example and suffering that Baptism without preparation is ritual devoid fo content, that in indigenous peoples of all cultures there is a striking dignity, as well as established codes of moral behavior that must be recognized and built upon as a foundation for all Christian conversion.

Ziggernaut
Curmudgeon Extraordinaire

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #570 on: November 09, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »

Just started Not of This World-The Life and Teachings of Fr. Seraphim Rose.  Just finished a second reading of Way of the Ascetics by Tito Colliander.

Blessings,
Jeff

"Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."  Augustine of Hippo
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #571 on: November 09, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »

On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius (St. Vladimir's Seminary Press)

Eusebius: The Church History translation and commentary by Paul L. Maier

Tradition, Scripture, and Interpretation: A Source-book of the Ancient Church Edited by D.H. Williams

God Bless!  Smiley

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #572 on: November 11, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »

Mikhail Bakhtin's essay on Rabelais (sorry guys, in Russian: http://www.philosophy.ru/library/bahtin/rable.html - Nektarios and Young Fogey will certainly appreciate, and others, but, unfortunately, not all). What a great philosopher, thinker, wow... (I mean Bakhtin, although Rabelais is of course a great philosopher as well.)

Love never fails.
Athanasios
Latin Rite Catholic faithful to the Holy Father and the Magisterium
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Church Diocese of Youngstown

The Divine Mercy

« Reply #573 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »

Hello,

Primarily, I am reading textbooks right now.

I am also reading the Complete Works of Saint John of the Cross and the Holy Bible (cover to cover, on Judges now).

After the semester, I probably throw a couple other theology and/or Church Fathers on the pile (I can read 3 - 4 books at a time).

I am not much for fiction, but I'll occasionally read some Shakespeare, Dickens, poetry, etc.

I'll do that for a month, and then back to reading more textbooks.

Through the intercession of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, may Jesus Christ bless you abundantly.

Pray that we may be one, as Christ and His Father are one. (John 17:20ff)

A.K.A. - JMJ_coder
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #574 on: November 13, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »

I am taking a break from theological stuff for a while. I just finished the book Forrest Gump. It's good, but completely different from the movie (in a good way).
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #575 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »

Papers and Minutes from the Unofficial Consultation Between Theologians of the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches (August 11-15, 1964)
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #576 on: November 13, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »

Life of Moses/ by Gregory of Nyssa/ Paulist Press

The Fathers of the Church/ St. John Chrysostom Homilies on Genesis/ Catholic University Press.

JoeS
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #577 on: November 30, 2007, 11:48:50 PM »

I'm currently a quarter way through Father Seraphim Rose:His Life and Works. It is a very interesting read.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #578 on: December 01, 2007, 03:14:15 PM »

Fr. Seraphim Rose is indeed an interesting figure. 

I'm currently working on Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America

Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #579 on: December 01, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »

I have borrowed the first ever work on Orthodoxy in Swedish I have come across:
"Min Ortodoxa tro" (My Orthodox faith) by Johannes Seppälä.

It's a relief to read a real book instead of all the "Internet-Orthodoxy".

I'm also reading the Heraldica Fennica Wink
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:23:49 PM by Robert W » Logged
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #580 on: December 01, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »

"Orality and Literacy" by Fr. Walter Ong (1982).

A fantastic read. It points out how our very consciousness has changed as a result of moving from an oral to a print culture - and the last points out how this affected Western Christendom as well.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #581 on: December 01, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »

This is just a thread to ask what everyone is reading.  Till Wendsday I will be reading nothing other than textbooks, but after that---ooh man do I ever have a stack to get through.  As soon as I am done with my finals, I am making it top priority to finish Law of God.

Joe Zollars

An Inconvenient Book, Glenn Beck
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »

Tea leaves.  This one says "Made in China".  Big surprise there. Wink

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #583 on: December 02, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »

"Orality and Literacy" by Fr. Walter Ong (1982).

A fantastic read. It points out how our very consciousness has changed as a result of moving from an oral to a print culture - and the last points out how this affected Western Christendom as well.

Wow.  I read that when I was in grad school when I was taking a bunch of courses on oral tradition.  If I may suggest, Eugenio, a few other titles you may wish to read in relation to Ong.

1)  Albert Lord, The Singer of Tales
2)  John M. Foley, The Theory of Oral Composition
3)  John M. Foley, Oral Tradition

Dr. Foley, a professor of mine at the University of MIssouri is one of the leading authorities on oral tradition in the world (he writes a new book on the subject about every 2 years) and was a student of Lord, who, in turn was a student of Milman Parry, whose doctoral dissertation back in 1928 laid the groundwork for the Iliad as an oral poem which then precipitated a number of studies on oral poetry.  Lord went to the former Yugoslavia for some practical field work in that area, but now, the study of oral composition has become almost universal.  The poetry-myths of Tibet, the near/far East, Native American Culture, Africa are now all being actively engaged for study of this wonderful phenomenon.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #584 on: December 02, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »

Tea leaves.  This one says "Made in China".  Big surprise there. Wink

Watch out for lead content.  Wink

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: