Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1018975 times)

Offline Anthony1986

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5355 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
Unquenchable Fire: The Traditional Christian Teaching about Hell
by Lawrence R. Farley
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5356 on: July 25, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
Started Part 2 of Wounded by Love and well I am totally gobsmacked. After reading Part 1, I was not expecting such profound wisdom. This is the tonic I so badly thirst for and it is probably a book I will continue to read for the rest of my life. I am so blessed to have found this book! Thank you Iconodule and Mor!
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5357 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
Started Part 2 of Wounded by Love and well I am totally gobsmacked. After reading Part 1, I was not expecting such profound wisdom. This is the tonic I so badly thirst for and it is probably a book I will continue to read for the rest of my life. I am so blessed to have found this book! Thank you Iconodule and Mor!

Somehow I have managed to miss this one thus far even though it is fairly beloved.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5358 on: July 26, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
I've bought here in the US so far:

Complete French All-in-One (Annie Hemingway)
Essential Modern Greek Grammar (Douglas Adams)
Early Christian Fathers (Cyril Richardson)
The Analects (Confucius)
Sun and Steel (Yukio Mishima)
The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Edgar Allan Poe)
German Grammar (Elke Gschossmann-Hendershot and Lois Feuerle)
English Gypsy Language (G. Borrow)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5359 on: July 26, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

Though I haven't done it, St Porphyrios' book is just the sort of book I'd read cover-to-cover repeatedly.  Very few books make me feel that way.  It's unfortunate there's not more out there in English.   
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5360 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
Divine Services section in Law of God and supplementing that with Fr. Hopko's Rainbow Series books.

Fr. Hopko's books seem more theologically correct but the pictures in Law of God are helpful.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #5361 on: August 01, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
Right now I read the old Greek Tradegies, Sofokles, Aisychlos and Euripides. So much wisdom there.
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #5362 on: August 01, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
I've just started my third reading of The Phoenicians and the West by Maria Eugenia Aubet.  It's probably been four years since my last reading.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5363 on: August 02, 2017, 04:52:35 AM »
The Seagull, by Anton Chekhov

Ugh.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5364 on: August 02, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
Finished the Divine Liturgy section in Fr. Hopko's Worship book in the Rainbow Series. Succint and short, but I am craving for more on the Divine Liturgy. This past Sunday sort of opened my eyes to how beautiful and moving the DL is. I ordered the Heavenly Banquet by Fr. Hatzidakis which is supposedly the most comprehensive text on the DL in English, but hopefully it's not too technical. I really love the DL.

Did some more reading on the sacramental nature of Baptism and Chrismation in Fr. Hopko's book and in the Law of God.

Started to read St. Silouan the Athonite by beebert's recommendation. I laughed at the scene where he's at the bar with his military buddies but can't keep his mind off God and Mt. Athos. I stopped before the chapter begins with him going to Mt. Athos as I went to bed. It's a long text and I don't know how much I'll be able to read as I am committed to reading about the Liturgy and the Sacraments of the Church.

I wish I had more time to read...

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #5365 on: August 04, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »
I'm about a 1/3 into The Reformation: A History by Diarmaid MacCulloch.  It's humorous in some places, dry in others, but overall very informative.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5366 on: August 04, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »
Of Water and The Spirit by Alexander Schmemann.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5367 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
Just started The Heavenly Banquet by Fr. Hatzidakis. In a word: wow. I don't think there is another comprehensive, so thoroughly researched book on the Divine Liturgy out there like this one. It's incredible. For both newcomers and faithful alike, highly recommended. I wish I started with this book first on understanding the DL cause this is me right now:

:laugh:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:25:34 PM by RobS »

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5368 on: August 07, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Alexander Schmorell: Saint of the German Resistance by Elena Perekrestov
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #5369 on: August 07, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
Despondency by Hieromonk Fr. Gabriel Bunge
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5370 on: August 07, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
Grenz, S. (1983). Isaac Backus--Puritan and Baptist: His Place in History, His Thought, and Their Implications for Modern Baptist Theology. Macon, Georgia: Mercer University Press.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:27:46 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5371 on: August 07, 2017, 11:11:29 PM »
Learning Pixel Art, by Max Hervieux

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #5372 on: August 08, 2017, 12:41:04 AM »
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware
Speaking of this, hey Iconodule, if you want to respond to this, I'd like to ask you about modernism.

I recall you once called Kallistos Ware a modernist with his "liberal" views on issues like women ordination, uncritical acceptance of Darwinism, ecumenism and so on.

I probably did say that but my feelings have changed on most of these issues (I also think The Orthodox Way is a really good intro to Orthodox spirituality). Not that I am particularly in favor of women's ordination or pointless wine-and-dines at the WCC but they don't jump out to me as existential crises of the Church. I also think it's hard to deny that Met Kallistos has a point when he says that the reasons why women should not be ordained have not been articulated very well.

Perhaps Fr. Kallistos (I do not know his actual title, so I shall use the priestly "Father" for now) is unaware of the following:

Women cannot be ordained  Presbyters because Christ did not do as such. Jesus was known to associate with people who were in NO way acceptable as leaders in his society. He made fishermen and tax collectors his Apostles (effectively, the first Bishops). He associated with, shall we say, a woman of ill repute. He did so many things to infuriate both the culture of his birth (the Jewish), and the culture that ruled (the Roman) that the leaders of both arranged to have him judicially murdered! If he had wanted to have female Presbyters, surely his most Holy Mother would have been the first!

Fundamentally, the Presbyter acts as Imago Christi. The Church has ALWAYS taught that in order to do that, the Presbyter MUST be male. From the Roman Catholic perspective, if the Church is the Bride of Christ, and the Imago Christi is a female, the Church is by definition a lesbian! God forbid!

As you say, "modernism" and "modernity" are both catch-all terms that are not very useful and I try not to lean on them very much. There are a number of specific ideas traceable to the Enlightenment or Renaissance (e.g. the neo-Epicureanism that more or less morphed into modern science) but a catch-all rejection of "modernism" seems very thorny to me nowadays.

My view of the Orthodox Church is that it is totally not modern, but I wouldn't say anti-modern because that would suggest in some opposition to it...which I'm not sure how that could be because the Church never arose in reaction to modernism. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd rather adopt G.K. Chesteron's "enchanted" or romantic view of the world which is something profoundly lost after the Enlightenment. To be a Christian is to be a true romantic, would you agree?

It seems to me that Orthodoxy is definitely not simply a relic of bygone age but has lived, breathed, and grown with the times. That doesn't mean we uncritically swallow everything but the Church is as much modern as it was once Roman, medieval Russian, etc. The way we do things, the way we learn, speak about, and practice the faith, is thoroughly modern, though that doesn't mean it is cut off from the ancient roots.

An re-enchantment of the world is a project I broadly agree with provided it does not devolve into dreaming with eyes open, fantasy, retreating into some synthetic community, etc.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5373 on: August 08, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »
^Fr. Kallistos is a little-known priest from Angola, though he has some vociferous supporters online, especially as it relates to his book, "Growing Orthodoxy into the Religion of the Future." I strongly recommend downloading it as an audio book from amazon.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5374 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »
Alexander Rose's Washington's Spies:  The Story of America's First Spy Ring.  After watching the show Turn on AMC (and being disappointed in it), I thought I should read the book upon which that is based.  The book (I'm only 50 pages in) is far more engaging.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5375 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
Of Water and The Spirit by Alexander Schmemann.

I really liked this one.

I picked up A Confederacy of Dunces out of a thrift store the other day. It's only the second book I've picked up that seemed to capture the Yat accent and still managed to be readable.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5376 on: August 11, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Do you recommend Dunces, Agabus? I've briefly heard of it and the main character seems really fascinating.

Had a sleep study yesterday and continued reading Wounded By Love.

Also I'm reading short excerpts of St John of Kronstadt's My Life in Christ daily. Tremendous. It's too bad about his marriage but I really enjoy his writings.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5377 on: August 11, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »
The Overcoat and Other Short Stories, by Nikolai Gogol

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5378 on: August 12, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
The Dinkin Dings series, by Guy Bass, with the young one as part of his summer reading challenge. Also, by myself:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:01:23 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5379 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
I have a question for everyone who posts in this thread. What is your reading setup like, where do you like to read?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5380 on: August 12, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
^Either in my recliner or in bed before falling asleep.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #5381 on: August 12, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
I have a question for everyone who posts in this thread. What is your reading setup like, where do you like to read?

Stacks of books on nightstands around the bed. Other stacks of books on end tables by the recliners.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5382 on: August 12, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »

I do my best reading on public transport. Bus, train, plane, all good. Car, I can't concentrate (and it has nothing to do with whether I'm in the passenger seat or in the back; it just doesn't work). At home, if I can get away with it, in bed, and not just at bedtime.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #5383 on: August 12, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
In the last 13 months:

Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power  by Jon Meachum

A Separate Peace  by John Knowles

White Noise  by Don Delilo

Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference  by Malcolm Gladwell

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking  by Malcolm Gladwell

What The Dog Saw: And Other Adventures  by Malcolm Gladwell

Scotland: The Story of a Nation  by Magnus Magnusson

On The Beach  by Nevil Shute

The Road  by Cormac McCarthy

One Second After  by William Forstchen

To Kill a Mockingbird  by Harper Lee

A River Runs Through It -And Other Stories  by Norman MacLean

Civil War in the Ozarks  by Phillip W. Steele and Steve Cottrell

Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America  by Sen. Jim Webb

Heroes of the Scots-Irish In America  by Billy Kennedy

The Scots-Irish in the Hills of Tennessee  by Billy Kennedy

The Scots-Irish in Pennsylvania and Kentucky  by Billy Kennedy

The Scots-Irish in the Shenandoah Valley  by Billy Kennedy

The Russians and their Church  by Nicholas Zernov

1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and The West  by Roger Crowley

We Shall See Him As He Is  by Archimandrite Sophrony

Edited to make it easier to read...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:15:53 PM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5384 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
We Shall See Him As He Is  by Archimandrite Sophrony
Is this any good?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5385 on: August 19, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
Practice in Christianity by Kierkegaard. - swoon
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology, introduction, by Fr. Pomazansky - Dry...I wish it read like one of Fr. Schemann's books
Fount of Knowledge by St John Damascene, philosophical chapters

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5386 on: August 23, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Iconodule, your usury thread reminded me to ask you what you thought of St. Basil's On Social Justice? I think there's another book by St. John Chrysostom that deals with a similar topic. IIRC St. Basil said something about if you withhold bread from your neighbor who needs it or dooesn't have it, you are a murderer if they die from starvation.

I find this writing much more disturbing than the usual Protestant eternal hellfire sermons.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5387 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »

I read on a Kindle, my iPhone, or a hard copy book. If I am reading the two later I tend to read when I can take a bath alone.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5388 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »

80% of my reading these days is done on the bus, usually on a Kindle.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #5389 on: August 24, 2017, 11:33:45 PM »
Orthodox Dogmatic Theology, introduction, by Fr. Pomazansky - Dry...I wish it read like one of Fr. Schemann's books

Which is actually kinda funny since you sometimes run across a comment by a traditionalist about how 'dry' or 'lifeless' books by Frs. Schmemann, Meyendorff, etc. are, because they are 'corrupted by modernism' and don't have 'the spirit of the fathers'  :police:

(been a long time since I read that one, but my memory would seem to agree with your comment about dryness)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5390 on: August 25, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
Which is actually kinda funny since you sometimes run across a comment by a traditionalist about how 'dry' or 'lifeless' books by Frs. Schmemann, Meyendorff, etc. are, because they are 'corrupted by modernism' and don't have 'the spirit of the fathers'  :police:

(been a long time since I read that one, but my memory would seem to agree with your comment about dryness)
I saw this hilarious review comment on amazon.com the other day, regarding Fr. Andrew Louth's Introduction to Eastern Orthodoxy Theology:

and not the fringe stuff peddled at academic conferences in the West by the followers of Schmemann-dorfianist "theology with a cigarette," or as Fr. Seraphim Rose of blessed memory called it: "theology on a full stomach."

LOL!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5391 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
Honestly there is probably very little I agree with Fr. Seraphim Rose on.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5392 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
I suspect Fr. Andrew would be bemused at being counterposed to Schmemannism-Dorfianism!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5393 on: August 25, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
Do you recommend Dunces, Agabus? I've briefly heard of it and the main character seems really fascinating.

Ignatius Reilly would have been a revelation of a character when the book was published in the 1980s (and definitely when it was written in the 1960s), but TBH I know a lot of Quixotian characters just like him through the Internet now.

It's still a pretty good read as a part of the southern canon.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5394 on: August 25, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
From the Holy Mountain: A Journey in the Shadow of Byzantium by William Dalrymple translated into Polish.
In Polish translation there is a mess with the Orthodox terminology: Syriacs are called "ortodoksi" while Greeks are called "prawosławni" - in fact both term mean "Orthodox". In one place an Armenian or Greek temple is called "kościół" (in Polish it's used mainly for Roman Catholics churches, sometimes also for Protestant ones, but they have their own term: "zbór"), while in another it's called "cerkiew" (Eastern Christian church; in the past that was the name also for RC churches).

Anyway, it's amazing to read e.g about peacful Syria in 90s, with Christians being 20% of the population, a talk with Aleppian metropolitan Yohanna Ibrahim that was captured 4 years ago and so on...
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5395 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
From the Holy Mountain: A Journey in the Shadow of Byzantium by William Dalrymple translated into Polish.
In Polish translation there is a mess with the Orthodox terminology: Syriacs are called "ortodoksi" while Greeks are called "prawosławni" - in fact both term mean "Orthodox".

I guess that's kind of like "Eastern Orthodox" and "Oriental Orthodox."
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #5396 on: August 25, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
In Polish translation there is a mess with the Orthodox terminology: Syriacs are called "ortodoksi" while Greeks are called "prawosławni" - in fact both term mean "Orthodox".

I guess that's kind of like "Eastern Orthodox" and "Oriental Orthodox."

That's a problem of awarness of most Polish people about Oriental Orthodoxy. When I translate or write an article, I write about OOs using the Slavic, Polish term "prawosławni", not a loan word that's "ortodoks". The term "ortodoks" is more used for Jews in Polish or as a synonim "conservative".
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #5397 on: August 25, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »
Can anyone help in linking an essay on St. Maximos the Confessor by Fr. Georges Florovsky? It's an introduction to his theology. I've googled but have no idea what I should be looking for.

Fr. Maximos Constas recommended it during an interview but didn't provide specifics.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5399 on: August 25, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »
A shawl pattern while I work on a shawl for my great-aunt. She fell in love with mine, and I want to have hers ready in time for the cold coastal nights this fall. One wing down, just the collar and other wing to go!