Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1064732 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #5130 on: January 18, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
I like the content but the translation itself is terribly wooden IMO. It serves in my mind as a prime example of how neo-Elizabethan prose is not necessarily more musical or poetic than contemporary English.

And you would translate it better?  How many languages do you know and/or conversant in?

Since when is translation an excuse for poor English style? Or are you saying Saint Ephraim's originals are badly written too?

Since you failed to answer the question I put to you I'm going to assume the answer is zero.  I just love how people who do not know any language other than their own feel that they can just complain about translations as if they know jack squat as to what goes into translation be it from  Syriac to Greek, Greek to Russian,Russian to English (as in the case with this particular Psalter) or German to Swahili, Hebrew to Chinese, etc.

I know Syriac, have helped translate liturgical texts into English for the Church, and I agree with Iconodule. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5131 on: January 18, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
I like the content but the translation itself is terribly wooden IMO. It serves in my mind as a prime example of how neo-Elizabethan prose is not necessarily more musical or poetic than contemporary English.

And you would translate it better?  How many languages do you know and/or conversant in?

Since when is translation an excuse for poor English style? Or are you saying Saint Ephraim's originals are badly written too?

Since you failed to answer the question I put to you I'm going to assume the answer is zero.  I just love how people who do not know any language other than their own feel that they can just complain about translations as if they know jack squat as to what goes into translation be it from  Syriac to Greek, Greek to Russian,Russian to English (as in the case with this particular Psalter) or German to Swahili, Hebrew to Chinese, etc.

I know Syriac, have helped translate liturgical texts into English for the Church, and I agree with Iconodule.

Your credentials/background  are not in question. Iconodule's are. He doesn't have a good basis for which to frame an opinion, any opinion on translation.  If he simply commented upon the English style (which is a different basis of criticism), fine and dandy. But, since he took issue with translation, I called him out on his lack of expertise.  I believe you have done the same for me on a number of occasions (justified and not).
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5132 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:38 AM »

Your credentials/background  are not in question. Iconodule's are. He doesn't have a good basis for which to frame an opinion, any opinion on translation.  If he simply commented upon the English style (which is a different basis of criticism), fine and dandy. But, since he took issue with translation, I called him out on his lack of expertise.  I believe you have done the same for me on a number of occasions (justified and not).

I guess I didn't take his criticism as being so much about the translation (from another language) as about the translation (the finished, English language product in its own right). 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5133 on: January 19, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »

Mrs Scamandrius tells me she loves it when I whisper to her in French

Iconodule, Such commentaries to another forumer are not allowed in this section, moreover it has nothing to do with any review. I am giving you 10% of warning.

Scamanadrius, please not to be so offensive in this section.
Dominika, section moderator
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:15:03 PM by Dominika »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5134 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »

I guess I didn't take his criticism as being so much about the translation (from another language) as about the translation (the finished, English language product in its own right).

Right, you only need to know English and English literature to see if something is in poor English. A good translation respects the language it's in as much as the language it's from. Of course if Scam only reads Breitbart articles then this translation must look like a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:06:16 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5135 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
I'm going on a trip right now. I'm taking with me The Orthodox Church (Met. Kallistos of Diokleia), Meditations (Marcus Aurelius, translation by George Long), a manual on Civil law, and a short introduction to Modern Greek.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5136 on: January 19, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
I'm going on a trip right now. I'm taking with me The Orthodox Church (Met. Kallistos of Diokleia), Meditations (Marcus Aurelius, translation by George Long), a manual on Civil law, and a short introduction to Modern Greek.

Leave room for a Bible.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5137 on: January 19, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »

Right, you only need to know English and English literature to see if something is in poor English. A good translation respects the language it's in as much as the language it's from.

Right. For example, the NASB is a perfectly serviceable Bible, but it reads like someone's lawyer did the work.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #5138 on: January 19, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
Right, you only need to know English and English literature to see if something is in poor English. A good translation respects the language it's in as much as the language it's from.

Right. For example, the NASB is a perfectly serviceable Bible, but it reads like someone's lawyer did the work.

I like the NASB as a translation for study, but not for liturgical use. 

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #5139 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »
The same boy who sold me the Summa Theologica in English in a hard cover (GBWW's version, I think it's complete) for 10 BRL (about 3 USD) last Monday sold me today a German dictionary from 90 years ago for 5 BRL and gave me a rare and historically important translation of the Bible for free (probably just because the inner part of the cover was kinda bad).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5140 on: January 26, 2017, 02:52:26 AM »
Samuel Huntington's Clash of Civilizations I read the original article and watched him on Youtube, so I thought I'd read the full book.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5141 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
Heart of Darkness again. Just perfection. Not bad for a guy who didn't speak English till his 20's.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5142 on: January 26, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Harvard Law course materials on copyright. 'Splodey head, but a geekgasm.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5143 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
A Room Full of Bones by Elly Griffith. I like the series.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #5144 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
The True Significance of Sacred Tradition and Its Great Worth: A Nineteenth Century Orthodox Response to Roman Catholic and Protestant Missionaries in the East by St. Raphael of Brooklyn, translated from the Greek by Fr. Patrick Viscuso.  I had it on pre-order for the longest, and it just arrived.  From the little bit I have read so far, it is a great blessing for the modern Orthodox world, especially as it pertains to addressing the penetration of heterodox theology and practice in jurisdictions like the Coptic Church.  I plan to write a more comprehensive review later, and I encourage everyone - especially my fellow Oriental Orthodox in jurisdictions plagued by Protestant influence - to read it.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #5145 on: January 28, 2017, 12:05:25 AM »
My very first second-reading of Charles Dickens, "The Pickwick Papers".
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Diego

• High Elder
  • Faith: Lutheran LCMS
  • Jurisdiction: Iowa District West
« Reply #5146 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:14 AM »
A collection of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I have a Kindle text that contains everything Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote about our good friends Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson of 221B Baker Street.

Also, Luther's Small Catechism (again). I believe that it should be memorised at Confirmation (which it usually is). But I ALSO believe that it should be reviewed regularly as a discipline to maintain that memory. Since entering the Church, I have been appalled at how ignorant people are of the Confessions generally ("only Pastors read that!" they say), which may be understandable given that they ARE a bit intense. But its even more revolting when you realise how lacking people are in knowledge even of the Small Catechism. Its like after Confirmation they never pick up a copy again!

I am quite curious to ask: I know that Chrismation is generally done at birth. But I also know that the Orthodox do teach the young people their Faith. May I know how this is done?  Are young persons catechised in the way that Lutherans and Catholics traditionally have been? And if not, how IS it done?

The topic is for the disucssion about books and your last paragraph is a separate subject - if you want to know the answers and/or discuss them, please open a new thread about it in the proper section.
Dominika, section moderator
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:10:21 AM by Dominika »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5147 on: January 29, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »
The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh (semi-autobiographical novel from a North Vietnamese veteran of the American war)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #5148 on: January 29, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
The True Significance of Sacred Tradition and Its Great Worth: A Nineteenth Century Orthodox Response to Roman Catholic and Protestant Missionaries in the East by St. Raphael of Brooklyn, translated from the Greek by Fr. Patrick Viscuso.  I had it on pre-order for the longest, and it just arrived.  From the little bit I have read so far, it is a great blessing for the modern Orthodox world, especially as it pertains to addressing the penetration of heterodox theology and practice in jurisdictions like the Coptic Church.  I plan to write a more comprehensive review later, and I encourage everyone - especially my fellow Oriental Orthodox in jurisdictions plagued by Protestant influence - to read it.
I like that you write reviews.
This is a sincere compliment. I like how you get into the issue and spread knowledge about his book. Main places I know of offhand where Catholics and Protestants made huge inroads into the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox communities was in India (OOs) and Ukraine, Syria, Palestine (EOs).
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5149 on: January 29, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
I like that you write reviews.
This is a sincere compliment. I like how you get into the issue and spread knowledge about his book. Main places I know of offhand where Catholics and Protestants made huge inroads into the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox communities was in India (OOs) and Ukraine, Syria, Palestine (EOs).

The book is a treasure.  It has the original text - written in a very elegant Greek which is a pleasure to read, sort of like reading the Fathers.  It also has a fine English translation, and commentary on the theological school at Halki at which St. Raphael was a student, and the circumstances under which Protestant and Catholic "missionaries" were plaguing the Orthodox population of the Ottoman Near East.  I'll post more when I can.  Right now, suffice it to say that there are pearls of wisdom the contemporary Oriental Orthodox Churches bedeviled by heterodox influence could greatly benefit from.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #5150 on: January 31, 2017, 02:14:23 AM »
"The Bazaar of Heracleides: Nestorius of Constantinople" - with a forward by our very own Fr. Peter Farrington, I presume.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5151 on: January 31, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
'The Orthodox Church' by Bp. Kallistos Ware
Learn meditation.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #5152 on: January 31, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #5153 on: February 02, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »

And, in addition to the others I mentioned previously:

and
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
« Reply #5154 on: February 02, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5155 on: February 02, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #5156 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »
Rereading and reading anew old hard boiled pulp: starting with Hammet's The Thin Man, following with Chandler's The Big Sleep (two of my favorite movies, never read the novels before though)
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5157 on: February 02, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
Rereading and reading anew old hard boiled pulp: starting with Hammet's The Thin Man, following with Chandler's The Big Sleep (two of my favorite movies, never read the novels before though)

The Big Sleep is practically unrecognizable.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5158 on: February 02, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »

I read The Long Goodbye years ago, don't remember much but I wholly enjoyed it.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #5159 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »

same here, that was one impetus that drove me to this, the other was going through a film noir movie kick. I think I also have something in my head telling me that the 1930's were one of the better decades for Hollywood, and working with literature like this is one reason why. 
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #5160 on: February 02, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »

Intersting. I just watched To Have and Have Not, which I think I like more than Casablanca, but it was nothing like the Hemmingway novel from what I remember.  Interestingly, it was William Faulkner who did the script and rewrite.
Holy Toledo!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #5161 on: February 02, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
Heart of Darkness again. Just perfection. Not bad for a guy who didn't speak English till his 20's.

I was thinking of making a thread along the lines of "what we read in school"....I couldn't remember if this was an assigned book or not.  I know I read it and loved it, I'm not sure if I did it on my own.  Regardless, it should be a standard assigned to boys somewhere during 6th-9th grade.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5162 on: February 02, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »

I was thinking of making a thread along the lines of "what we read in school"....I couldn't remember if this was an assigned book or not.  I know I read it and loved it, I'm not sure if I did it on my own.  Regardless, it should be a standard assigned to boys somewhere during 6th-9th grade.

I had to read it in 12th grade but was not in the right mindset to appreciate it unfortunately. That was generally the case with a lot of assigned books for me.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5163 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »

same here, that was one impetus that drove me to this, the other was going through a film noir movie kick. I think I also have something in my head telling me that the 1930's were one of the better decades for Hollywood, and working with literature like this is one reason why.

Another book I enjoyed along these lines was Cornell Woolrich's Rendezvous in Black which, as far as I know, has never been filmed (some of his other books were).

I love noir films. My favorites tend to be on the later end (40's to late 50's). Double Indemnity, Nightmare Alley, Gun Crazy, Out of the Past...

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5164 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »

Nice!  I'm doing a Hammett re-read-a-thon myself.  I've just finished Red Harvest,, The Dain Curse, and The Maltese Falcon.  Working my way through The Glass Key right now and The Thin Man is next on my list.  I'll go back the Chandler after that.

The book and the film each of their own charm.  Bogart's performance is one of the best of his career.  He embodies Marlowe.

+1

Farewell, My Lovely is also excellent.

I think I also have something in my head telling me that the 1930's were one of the better decades for Hollywood, and working with literature like this is one reason why.

+1

Another book I enjoyed along these lines was Cornell Woolrich's Rendezvous in Black which, as far as I know, has never been filmed (some of his other books were).

I love noir films. My favorites tend to be on the later end (40's to late 50's). Double Indemnity, Nightmare Alley, Gun Crazy, Out of the Past...

You are a man of refined taste.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5166 on: February 04, 2017, 03:29:35 AM »
Just skimming through and reading OC.net at a quick glance.
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5167 on: February 04, 2017, 04:57:42 AM »

I think you frame your opinion by research an testing thoughts or ideas.
Learn meditation.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #5168 on: February 13, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »
Listened to an audiobook with the wife of Neil Gaiman's tale, "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains," read by Gaiman himself. Highly recommended; some of his best work.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5169 on: February 13, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
Listened to an audiobook with the wife of Neil Gaiman's tale, "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains," read by Gaiman himself. Highly recommended; some of his best work.

I don't think I've found a piece of Amanda Palmer's work, musical or writing, that I didn't enjoy. And Gaiman could build a career on the side as audiobook narrator. His entire Graveyard Book recording is available on YouTube.

Offline kuddes6

• Faith: Becoming Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese USA
« Reply #5170 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
The Art of Prayer for nonfiction, The Odyssey as translated by Robert Fagles for fiction.

Offline kuddes6

• Faith: Becoming Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese USA
« Reply #5171 on: February 15, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

Heart of Darkness is wonderful. Writing, that is.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #5172 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
The Pull of the Moon, by Diane Janes.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #5173 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5174 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
Recently/currently...

Blood of Elves, by Andrzej Sapkowski (I still find myself unable to get into his writing)
The Alexiad, Anna Comnena
Evidence and Inquiry: Towards Reconstruction in Epistemology, by Susan Haack
The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss, by David Bentley Hart (I seem to be getting more from it the 2nd time through)