Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1018956 times)

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4860 on: January 28, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
*~Red Notice by Bill Browder ~*

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4861 on: January 28, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
*~Red Notice by Bill Browder ~*

That looks interesting.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Poppy

• OC.net guru
  • No Artificial Sugar
    • im the pretty one!!!
  • Faith: Muslim
« Reply #4862 on: January 28, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
So far yeh; don't hold your breath for a review as I read slow

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4863 on: January 28, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »
So far yeh; don't hold your breath for a review as I read slow

Oh, I know. I wasn't. :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4864 on: January 31, 2016, 03:37:43 AM »
Intuition Pumps And Other Tools for Thinking, by Daniel Dennett
The Celebrated Jumping Frog And Other Stories, by Mark Twain

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #4865 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »
Now reading Testament: A Priest's Dying Confession by Jean Meslier.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline truthseeker32

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
« Reply #4866 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
Just started Orthodox Readings of Aquinas by Marcus Plested

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #4867 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
Now reading Testament: A Priest's Dying Confession by Jean Meslier.

Forgot to add my thoughts on what I just recently finished, Pensées philosophiques by Denise Diderot. I thought his work was all around okay. Diderot touches upon a large number of topics in a short 50 pages, ranging from extreme skepticism and some basic epistemological problems that are still well-known to this day. His thought is far from systematic. What I found probably to be most interesting were his arguments in favor of deism and those against Christianity and atheism. He also discusses Judaism and Islam in brief, but not as much. He attacks the notions of miracles, especially obvious false ones. One he talks about in detail is a supposed miracle he witnessed in Paris, when a crippled man was able to walk again without his crutches, although he had two other people helping him walk. Everyone in the crowd according to Diderot was amazed, and so he thought the rest of them to be stupid. One thing that stuck me though about his discussion of miracles was at one point, where he acknowledged that even the most amazing of miracles might not convince someone of their legitimacy, and that ultimately the matter was left up to the individual's state of mind. I thought it was a profound statement and insight on his part.

I also happened to read his addendum, which was published many years later, whereby he rebuts some of the theological arguments from Catholic apologists raised against him and deism. I have to say, some of the arguments that were raised against him were quite silly. Apparently, one theologian argued that since Jesus Christ most certainly existed historically, then therefore the Christian god exists. Diderot counters saying that Jesus Christ existing historically is not more significant for who is or who isn't a deity than Augustus Caesar having existed historically.

All that being said, apparently Diderot eventually abandoned his deism in favor of atheism, which made his relationship with Voltaire, who disliked atheism with a passion, tense.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4868 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Knee-deep in Chris Mould's Something Wickedly Weird series. I read the first two volumes in a single morning, then went straight onto the library catalogue site to reserve the other four.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #4869 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:29 AM »
Just finished reading Jean Meslier's Testament: A Dying Priest's Confession and Voltaire's Abstract of the Testament of Jean Meslier. With regards to the first title, it is pretty neat and astonishing to find that the first book dedicated to espousing atheism is very similar to modern arguments and books on atheism. It's also interesting to find that Meslier argued vehemently against staunch Augustinianism/predestination, which by gleaning from his text, was not only confined to the Jansenists' camp, but wide-spread in the Catholic community. All in all, I found it interesting and Meslier espoused classical materialism too, something I will probably be reading more about when it comes to other works I plan to read from the 18th century. As for Voltaire's work, I would hardly call it an abstract at all. It is more or less a work entirely of its own. Additionally, Voltaire leaves out any inclination in his abstract of Meslier's atheism, obviously in order to favor Voltaire's deism which ironically Meslier also vehemently attacks in his book. Meslier's work is an attack on religion as a whole, while Voltaire's supposed "abstract" is mainly just a critique of Christianity along traditional deistic lines without being overtly deistic.

As for what I am reading now, I plan on starting Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten by Immanuel Kant.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4870 on: February 06, 2016, 04:35:58 AM »
Just finished reading Jean Meslier's Testament: A Dying Priest's Confession and Voltaire's Abstract of the Testament of Jean Meslier. With regards to the first title, it is pretty neat and astonishing to find that the first book dedicated to espousing atheism is very similar to modern arguments and books on atheism. It's also interesting to find that Meslier argued vehemently against staunch Augustinianism/predestination, which by gleaning from his text, was not only confined to the Jansenists' camp, but wide-spread in the Catholic community. All in all, I found it interesting and Meslier espoused classical materialism too, something I will probably be reading more about when it comes to other works I plan to read from the 18th century. As for Voltaire's work, I would hardly call it an abstract at all. It is more or less a work entirely of its own. Additionally, Voltaire leaves out any inclination in his abstract of Meslier's atheism, obviously in order to favor Voltaire's deism which ironically Meslier also vehemently attacks in his book. Meslier's work is an attack on religion as a whole, while Voltaire's supposed "abstract" is mainly just a critique of Christianity along traditional deistic lines without being overtly deistic.

As for what I am reading now, I plan on starting Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten by Immanuel Kant.

Wonderful first impression Rhozek.  If you are reading through all these Frenchmen now (Diderot, Voltaire, Mesllier, Comte) it's good to see how they still may or may not apply to philosophies that tend not to claim them as an influence.... especially more continental philosophies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:38:52 AM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4871 on: February 06, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »
The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett

A 974 page novel about a 12th century stone mason whose life dream/dream job is being a master builder working on a cathedral. So far so good (~65 pp. in)...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:42:00 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4872 on: February 07, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »
The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett

A 974 page novel about a 12th century stone mason whose life dream/dream job is being a master builder working on a cathedral. So far so good (~65 pp. in)...

A must read and should be mandatory in public education.
His other books, meh.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4873 on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
I have been enjoying Metropolitan Kallistos biography of St. Maximos of the Burnt Hut.

"His biographer Theophanes claimed to have seen him fly through the air(55). Cases of levitation, while less common in the Christian East than in the West, are by no means unknown; examples can be found in the lives of St. Luke of Steiris (tenth century)(56), of St. Symeon the New Theologians(57) and of the Russian St. Seraphim of Sarov (1759-1833)(58)"

I would really love to see an Orthodox asectic flying through the air!  That seems like the most sublime form of piety.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
  • "Headless" is not a big deal, because Jesus IS.
  • Jurisdiction: G.O.A. of N. America
« Reply #4874 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
I have been enjoying Metropolitan Kallistos biography of St. Maximos of the Burnt Hut.

"His biographer Theophanes claimed to have seen him fly through the air(55). Cases of levitation, while less common in the Christian East than in the West, are by no means unknown; examples can be found in the lives of St. Luke of Steiris (tenth century)(56), of St. Symeon the New Theologians(57) and of the Russian St. Seraphim of Sarov (1759-1833)(58)"

I would really love to see an Orthodox asectic flying through the air!  That seems like the most sublime form of piety.

...it would seem best to leave it at levitation, for St. Seraphim, and in the case of St. Philip the Apostle ---- fly???
flying is um, the faster way to go.
Beauty Old yet ever New;
Eternal Voice and inward Word.
But above all things -- Truth beareth away the Victory.
(Whitman)

Offline Seraffa

• Monastic by Charism, Mother by Birth(s), Presvytera by Marriage; Lord, Graciously Make Me Worthy!
« Reply #4875 on: February 10, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »
I am reading Small Business Owners' Magazine.
Yes.
I disappointed you.
I know.
 ;D

but it's part of my repentance.
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4876 on: February 10, 2016, 03:43:39 PM »

I love kiddie scares as much as the young one.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4877 on: February 10, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
The Brothers K by David James Duncan
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Seraffa

« Reply #4878 on: February 11, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »
This screen.
Beauty Old yet ever New;
(Whitman)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4879 on: February 12, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #4880 on: February 13, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »
Faith of our fathers -PKD
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #4881 on: February 15, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
I gave up on reading Kant's book in the original German. German is my weakest language, I must admit. So it was a bit foolish of me I suppose, in retrospect, to try to read Kant, who is sorta infamous for being difficult to read. As for now, I'm reading Die Theologie des Pelagius und ihre Genesis by Torgny Bohlin. I've read excerpts of this before, but never cover-to-cover.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4882 on: February 15, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
I've wondered about the original version of Beowulf ... How did that translate into the movie Beowulf? ... Something of that sort.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:15:06 PM by WPM »
Learn meditation.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4883 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »
I've wondered about the original version of Beowulf ... How did that translate into the movie Beowulf? ... Something of that sort.

Not very well.

The poem is a lot better.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4884 on: February 15, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »
The House of the Seven Gables / Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4885 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
Probably with a computer keyboard is how.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4886 on: February 17, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »

Not very well.

Go for the Michael Morpurgo translation. Great artwork throughout, too.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4887 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
Just started Nihilism, by Fe. Seraphim Rose.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #4888 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:08 PM »
I love Beowulf, the movie was OK.

I've only read the Seamus Heany translation, can't speak for others. I have the Norton Critical one.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #4889 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
Shogun, James Clavell
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4890 on: February 17, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »

Not very well.

I think that's like saying of a book, "The text is a lot better than the illustrations." The one isn't meant to replace the other. I actually thought the Beowulf film was great.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #4891 on: February 17, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
Advanced Financial Accounting by Theodore Christensen, David Cottrell, and Richard Baker, 10th Edition :P
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4892 on: February 18, 2016, 12:56:48 AM »
Shogun, James Clavell

I recall it being a good read....a whole lot about silk and some on rice. But a fun plot.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4894 on: February 19, 2016, 02:28:28 AM »
Augustine and the Catechumenate / William Harmless.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #4895 on: February 22, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
I bought six new books. Probably not going to read those for a long time but couldn't resist the temptation of fairly cheap books. Yay, Penguin Books!

The Dhammapada
On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
The Island of Doctor Moreau,  The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:44:58 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4896 on: February 29, 2016, 01:00:46 AM »
Orthodox Christianity / Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #4898 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »

I liked much the first two books with short stories. The following pentalogy, not so much.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4899 on: March 01, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »
Continued from February:

Just started (book club materials):

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #4900 on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
Great Lent by Fr. Alexander Schmemann
THe Lenten Spring by Fr. Thomas Hopko
The Preface to the Lenten Triodion by Fr. George Florovsky, translators Met. KALLISTOS Ware and Mother Mary

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #4901 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »
^Florovsky must feel flattered to get the Mother of God herself to translate his books.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #4902 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:51 PM »
^Florovsky must feel flattered to get the Mother of God herself to translate his books.

You're a real knee-slapper, Alpo.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4903 on: March 02, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »

You're a real knee-slapper, Alpo.

All the trailers and promotions really misled me. In fact, I could have sworn the St. Vladimir's Seminary movie critic gave it 9 Lord, have mercys out of 10.

The what?

Attempt at humor.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4904 on: March 02, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
Something about Psychedelics like Ahayusca or Peyote.
Learn meditation.