Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1065728 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4680 on: September 17, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
Dragon Age: The Marked Empire, by Patrick Weekes.

Good so far (2/3rds of the way through). Wish I would have read this and Asunder before playing DA3 for the first time.

Sailing from Byzantium, by Colin Wells.

Writing is good, though a sentence here or there is somewhat awkwardly worded. I like it though, it's awkward=different/interesting moreso than too-awkward-to-understand. However, at 25 or so pages in I'm already bracing myself for a lot of good info on Byzantine-related biography and history but also a fair bit of bad info on religion. Not necessarily always completely incorrect, but maybe sometimes condensed or stated in such a way that does more harm than good. A footnote on page 15, for example, says: "Arians followed the teachings of Arius (c. 256-336), an Egyptian monk who denied Christ's divinity and emphasized his humanity." The first part is certainly an oversimplification, but it's the second part that bugs me. Arius didn't deny Christ's divinity, or at least not in his mind, and seemingly not in the minds of most then and now. (The only way you could justifiably say that he DID deny it would be to claim that misunderstanding divinity could be equated with denying it or making it useless; but that's getting away from what I'm talking about.) In fact almost all sides in the debates agreed that Christ was divine, including most Arian groups (and I'd go so far to say that if a group did NOT think Christ divine, that they were not actually Arian). This was a necessary common point of agreement needed before much else could be said. The question raised at the time was not, 'Is Christ divine?' but rather, 'Christ is divine; now what does that mean? Is he the same as the Father? Like the Father? Similar? Not dissimilar? Not unlike dis-dissimilar? ... etc.' I realize that Wells is writing for a popular/broad audience and it would be a mistake to get bogged down in all sorts of theological precisions and explanations and caveats, but as stated it just seems way too inaccurate to me. He uses both footnotes (for short comments and explanations) and endnotes (for specific references of quotes), so maybe it would have been better had he just made them all endnotes so that he could spend as much time as he wanted (or the publisher allowed him).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:13:03 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #4681 on: September 18, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »
Cyril of Alexandria - Norman Russell

Severus of Antioch - Pauline Allen and CTR Hayward

The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church - HH Karekin I

Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity - Otto Meinardus
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:40:39 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4682 on: September 19, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
1.   I'm continuing to read "profound" German dreck, mostly out of spite.  After going down that rabbit hole, everything else becomes light, enjoyable, and easy to read.

2. Technical stuff for work

3. Trying to bring my Classic Greek and modern French up to some level of what it used to be, but that's  wishful ambitious thinking, hopefully it will disappear in two weeks and it won't take up my schedule.  I don't use either in my day to day life, so they're useless, as much as I'd like to properly read Flaubert.  Too bad I had to fall in love with the French language. 

Like all moderns I get idiotic fits of "inspiration" and ambition from time to time and do some fools errand. Fortunately I left my Latin training for dead, with no wish to revive it.

4.  Some essays and letters of Maurice Ravel

5. My other leisure reading: I'm trying to make way going through all the poems of Edith Sitwell, a very enjoyable project. Favorite part: listening to the Walton composition of facade .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:41:10 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4683 on: September 19, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
Old editions of the Magical Almanac. Cheap as dirt, since they're so out of date, but the articles (about 3/4 of each volume) are still solid, and will be for several years to come.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4684 on: September 19, 2015, 03:47:48 PM »
Turn of the ScrewHenry James.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4685 on: September 19, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
The only thing I have time to read right now: Thomas Aquinas, Thomas Aquinas, Thomas Aquinas. All school work.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #4686 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:26 AM »
Simone Weil's The Iliad or the Poem of force.  *shudder*

It starts off with: "The true hero, the true subject, the centre of the Iliad, is force.", it only goes downhill from there.

Philosophers should never ever talk about art. They've gotten it all wrong since Plato and Aristotle and have only gotten worse since.  Too bad Menander doesn't really have much writings extant.  I think I heard he used to lampoon the philosophers on aesthetics.

Then again, it's probably best they focus on aesthetics...if it became the vogue to have an "existential thesis" on awning socks or something else more useful, I'm sure we would all have to go barefoot.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:04:24 AM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
  • Faith: Hopefully Orthodox at some pt
  • Jurisdiction: Other
« Reply #4687 on: September 21, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »
"The Call of Cthulhu", by H.P. Lovecraft

I like his writing style.

Speaking of Cthulhu - I have a tshirt I wear proudly that says " Answering the Call - Vote Chtulhu 2016"

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #4688 on: September 21, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Cyril of Alexandria - Norman Russell

Severus of Antioch - Pauline Allen and CTR Hayward

The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church - HH Karekin I

Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity - Otto Meinardus

Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity - Otto Meinardus - I just finished most of this. I say most, because I skipped part of the section on modern churches in Egypt. I will go back to it and read that part a little by little, and want to google them to see if I can see pictures. However, I read the rest of the book and is very good! I learned a lot. He writes really well, and there is great information in that book.

I just orded "The Coptic Christian Heritage: History, Faith and Culture" by Lois Farag on Amazon a few days ago. It sounds very interesting also.

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4689 on: September 21, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »
Trying to read The Invisible Man / H. G. Wells, but I am having trouble finding it. ;)

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4690 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »
Currently reading "Wisdom for Today from the Early Church" by David C. Ford. We are doing a book study on this at our parish on Wednesday nights. I recommend this, especially if you, like me, arent as familiar as you should be on the book of Acts and the Apostolic Fathers.

I also just started reading Of Mice and Men for fun...

Also, a couple people wanted me to post my thoughts on Harper Lee's new book, "Go Set a Watchmen." I'm not the most avid reader or literary critic, but I would say that I enjoyed the book. I would advise you not to go into it expecting another To Kill A Mockingbird though.

It can be slightly disappointing if you are the type of person who gets emotionally attached to fictional characters. However, I dont think anyone should really be surprised that there were racist people in southern Alabama in the 1930's-50's. To me, it spoke to the unfortunate reality that racism is still alive and well, and that many of us who may have the best of intentions likely have some sort of racist tendencies embedded deep down within us.

Anyway, I think its worth your time.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4691 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
"Death Star," by Michael Reeves and Steve Perry (not the singer).
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4692 on: September 24, 2015, 10:02:44 AM »
I also just started reading Of Mice and Men for fun...

That there's a twisted sense of fun... ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
« Reply #4693 on: September 24, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
[quote author=Timon link=topic=3406.msg1339716#msg1339716

Also, a couple people wanted me to post my thoughts on Harper Lee's new book, "Go Set a Watchmen." I'm not the most avid reader or literary critic, but I would say that I enjoyed the book. I would advise you not to go into it expecting another To Kill A Mockingbird though.

It can be slightly disappointing if you are the type of person who gets emotionally attached to fictional characters. However, I dont think anyone should really be surprised that there were racist people in southern Alabama in the 1930's-50's. To me, it spoke to the unfortunate reality that racism is still alive and well, and that many of us who may have the best of intentions likely have some sort of racist tendencies embedded deep down within us.

[/quote]

I really need to get that book. I have heard some harsh things based on some huge differences in one of the character's character, so I have been holding off. Good to hear a positive opinion on it.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4694 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
Quote from: Timon link=topic=3406.msg1339716#msg1339716

I really need to get that book. I have heard some harsh things based on some huge differences in one of the character's character, so I have been holding off. Good to hear a positive opinion on it.

There are definitely differences. I understand why many are upset. Personally, I dont get that attached to fake characters, so it wasnt a huge deal to me. Surely not everyone will share my opinion, but I thought it was a good book nonetheless.
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4695 on: October 02, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Finishing up Severus of Antioch by Pauline Allen and CTR Hayward

Next on my hit-list:

The Apostolic Fathers -Fr. Jack Sparks of blessed memory

Athanasius -Khaled Anatolios

John Chrysostom -Wendy Mayer and Pauline Allen

The Council of Chalcedon and the Armenian Church -HH Karekin I

Skimming through Meinardus' Two Thousand Years of Coptic Christianity. It's more of a reference book, so I only read the parts relevant to my interests.

Yes, yes I know. I need a girlfriend.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4696 on: October 02, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »
My Name is Asher Lev

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4697 on: October 02, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »
My Name is Asher Lev
Nice to meet you, Asher Lev.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4698 on: October 06, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »
Novelist Henning Mankell has died. He was 67. Rest in peace.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4699 on: October 06, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »
Novelist Henning Mankell has died. He was 67. Rest in peace.

His Joel Gustafsson series of novels was just the kind to get teenage boys to read.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4700 on: October 06, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
Re-reading An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law by Prof. Dr. Pateleimon Rodopoulos, Metropolitan of Tyroloe and Serention.

Then I'll be re-reading Bread & Water, Wine & Oil by Arch. Meletios Weber.

Then re-reading God in Pain by Orthonorm's favorite contemporary philosopher (and mine as well), the eminent Slavoj Zizek
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #4701 on: October 06, 2015, 07:22:16 PM »
Just finished Resilience by Eric Greitens and am now reading My Life in Christ by St. John Kronstadt. I'll be honest, I don't care too much for it. Very simple, sort of self-evident, and not very gripping. It gets boring after a while, though to be fair, I think the ye olde English translation makes it very flat and dull.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4702 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
Re-reading An Overview of Orthodox Canon Law by Prof. Dr. Pateleimon Rodopoulos, Metropolitan of Tyroloe and Serention.

Then re-reading God in Pain by Orthonorm's favorite contemporary philosopher (and mine as well), the eminent Slavoj Zizek

Zizek is full of himself. That's why everyone loves him.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4703 on: October 06, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »

I never heard of  Slavoj Zizek. What did he write in "God In Pain" that makes you say this. Also, strictly speaking, if my assumption is correct that >>99.999% of the world population does not know (like me) that this person exists, how can you say everyone loves him.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4704 on: October 06, 2015, 11:35:38 PM »
The Divine Within by Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley was a true intellectual, in the sense that he never allowed philosophical or political ideology to interfere with his pursuit of truth. In Huxley we see a man whose relentless pursuit of knowledge led him naturally from agnosticism to a deep faith in God. The man literally had an encyclopedic mind (he edited the fourteenth edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica.) Along with numerous other religious studies and metaphysical interests, Huxley was a serious student of the Orthodox saints and Church fathers.

Although Huxley never officially embraced the Orthodox Christian religion, his views on God and faith nevertheless drew heavily from Eastern/Oriental Christian thought. All of Huxley's empirical experiments and existential inquiries led him to the ultimate realization that there is an inextricable link between spiritual transcendence and the immanent imperatives of human compassion and human service here in the terrestrial realm.

Huxley was a true mystic, a true intellectual, someone who understood that all spiritual and philosophical questions are answered by life affirmation and humanitarian love.

Selam

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:36:00 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4705 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:11 AM »
"House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski is garbage.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4706 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4707 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - CS Lewis

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #4708 on: October 07, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »

While I have my own disagreements with Zizek, can you tell me what you have read or watched of his? I can't think of any other 21st century philosopher that isn't at the forefront of thinking like Zizek. Maybe I'm just a weird guy, but I love his unusual perspective and insightful ness.

Maybe one day I'll get around to that tome of his (Less than Nothing) once I get some of his major infleunces under my belt.

I will say this wading through the Republic earlier this year, I realize how much more engaging contemporary philosophy is because it thinks of life right now and all the problems that come with it. Zizek I find really demonstrates just how exciting that is.

I'm so glad I gave up trying to go through the entire history of philosophy but decided rather focus on issues that I'm interested in first then go towards a broader understanding of philosophy.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:52:48 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #4709 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
Goethe:

Aphorisms on Nature

NATURE! We are surrounded and embraced by her: powerless to separate ourselves from her, and powerless to penetrate beyond her.

Without asking, or warning, she snatches us up into her circling dance, and whirls us on until we are tired, and drop from her arms.

She is ever shaping new forms: what is, has never yet been; what has been, comes not again. Everything is new, and yet nought but the old.

We live in her midst and know her not. She is incessantly speaking to us, but betrays not her secret. We constantly act upon her, and yet have no power over her.

The one thing she seems to aim at is Individuality; yet she cares nothing for individuals. She is always building up and destroying; but her workshop is inaccessible.

Her life is in her children; but where is the mother? She is the only artist; working-up the most uniform material into utter opposites; arriving, without a trace of effort, at perfection, at the most exact precision, though always veiled under a certain softness.

Each of her works has an essence of its own; each of her phenomena a special characterisation: and yet their diversity is in unity.

She performs a play; we know not whether she sees it herself, and yet she acts for us, the lookers-on.

Incessant life, development, and movement are in her, but she advances not. She changes for ever and ever, and rests not a moment. Quietude is inconceivable to her, and she has laid her curse upon rest. She is firm. Her steps are measured, her exceptions rare, her laws unchangeable.

She has always thought and always thinks; though not as a man, but as Nature. She broods over an all-comprehending idea, which no searching can find out.

Mankind dwell in her and she in them. With all men she plays a game for love, and rejoices the more they win. With many, her moves are so hidden, that the game is over before they know it.

That which is most unnatural is still Nature; the stupidest philistinism has a touch of her genius. Whoso cannot see her everywhere, sees her nowhere rightly.

She loves herself, and her innumberable eyes and affections are fixed upon herself. She has divided herself that she may be her own delight. She causes an endless succession of new capacities for enjoyment to spring up, that her insatiable sympathy may be assuaged.

She rejoices in illusion. Whoso destroys it in himself and others, him she punishes with the sternest tyranny. Whoso follows her in faith, him she takes as a child to her bosom.

Her children are numberless. To none is she altogether miserly; but she has her favourites, on whom she squanders much, and for whom she makes great sacrifices. Over greatness she spreads her shield.

She tosses her creatures out of nothingness, and tells them not whence they came, nor whither they go. It is their business to run, she knows the road.

Her mechanism has few springs — but they never wear out, are always active and manifold.

The spectacle of Nature is always new, for she is always renewing the spectators. Life is her most exquisite invention; and death is her expert contrivance to get plenty of life.

She wraps man in darkness, and makes him for ever long for light. She creates him dependent upon the earth, dull and heavy; and yet is always shaking him until he attempts to soar above it.

She creates needs because she loves action. Wondrous! that she produces all this action so easily. Every need is a benefit, swiftly satisfied, swiftly renewed.— Every fresh want is a new source of pleasure, but she soon reaches an equilibrium.

Every instant she commences an immense journey, and every instant she has reached her goal.

She is vanity of vanities; but not to us, to whom she has made herself of the greatest importance. She allows every child to play tricks with her; every fool to have judgment upon her; thousands to walk stupidly over her and see nothing; and takes her pleasure and finds her account in them all.

We obey her laws even when we rebel against them; we work with her even when we desire to work against her.

She makes every gift a benefit by causing us to want it. She delays, that we may desire her; she hastens, that we may not weary of her.

She has neither language nor discourse; but she creates tongues and hearts, by which she feels and speaks.

Her crown is love. Through love alone dare we come near her. She separates all existences, and all tend to intermingle. She has isolated all things in order that all may approach one another. She holds a couple of draughts from the cup of love to be fair payment for the pains of a lifetime.

She is all things. She rewards herself and punishes herself; is her own joy and her own misery. She is rough and tender, lovely and hateful, powerless and omnipotent. She is an eternal present. Past and future are unknown to her. The present is her eternity. She is beneficient. I praise her and all her works. She is silent and wise.

No explanation is wrung from her; no present won from her, which she does not give freely. She is cunning, but for good ends; and it is best not to notice her tricks.

She is complete, but never finished. As she works now, so can she always work. Everyone sees her in his own fashion. She hides under a thousand names and phrases, and is always the same. She has brought me here and will also lead me away. I trust her. She may scold me, but she will not hate her work. It was not I who spoke of her. No! What is false and what is true, she has spoken it all. The fault, the merit, is all hers.
Holy Toledo!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4710 on: October 21, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #4711 on: October 22, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »
"The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss" by David Bentley Hart.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #4712 on: October 22, 2015, 10:07:47 PM »
American Gods - Neil Gailman

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4713 on: October 30, 2015, 02:29:44 AM »
Daniel : a Commentary on the Book of Daniel / by John J. Collins ; With an essay "The Influence of Daniel on the New Testament," by Adela Yarbro Collins ; Edited by Frank Moore Cross.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4714 on: October 30, 2015, 06:14:14 AM »
 I could go for something culturally revolutionized ... Maybe writers like Ayn Rand, Aldous Huxley or the Philosophers like Heidegger or Marx.
Learn meditation.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #4715 on: October 30, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
I could go for something culturally revolutionized ... Maybe writers like Ayn Rand, Aldous Huxley or the Philosophers like Heidegger or Marx.

You want Zizek.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4716 on: October 30, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
This paper. I came across it by chance and was quite engrossed.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4717 on: October 30, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »

Definitely a very interesting essay worth reading for anyone using an Orthodox prayerbook.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4718 on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »
Notes From the Underground - Dostoevsky

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4719 on: October 30, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »

I like that article (read it a couple of times, still refer to it now and then) and the author. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #4720 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Halloween time means it's always great to read people from haunted Baltimore:

Mencken, Ogden Nash, and of course Poe have been my reading material on my bus rides this week.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:17:02 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4721 on: October 30, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »

Aldous Huxley was a true intellectual, in the sense that he never allowed philosophical or political ideology to interfere with his pursuit of truth. In Huxley we see a man whose relentless pursuit of knowledge led him naturally from agnosticism to a deep faith in God. The man literally had an encyclopedic mind (he edited the fourteenth edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica.) Along with numerous other religious studies and metaphysical interests, Huxley was a serious student of the Orthodox saints and Church fathers.

Although Huxley never officially embraced the Orthodox Christian religion, his views on God and faith nevertheless drew heavily from Eastern/Oriental Christian thought. All of Huxley's empirical experiments and existential inquiries led him to the ultimate realization that there is an inextricable link between spiritual transcendence and the immanent imperatives of human compassion and human service here in the terrestrial realm.

Huxley was a true mystic, a true intellectual, someone who understood that all spiritual and philosophical questions are answered by life affirmation and humanitarian love.

Selam

I will have to give this a read; maybe I'll get the chance to write an article on it for one of my classes.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

• Merarches
« Reply #4722 on: October 30, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »

Selam

I will have to give this a read; maybe I'll get the chance to write an article on it for one of my classes.

It's great stuff. And if you do write an article for your class, please share it with us. I'd love to read it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #4723 on: October 30, 2015, 04:16:38 PM »
And speaking of Huxley, this just came in the mail today! Can't wait to dig into it.  :)

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4724 on: October 31, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »
"The Shadows in the Street," Susan Hill.