Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1020118 times)

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4410 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »
For Lent I am reading the readings at http://www.goarch.org/resources/monthly_readings .  For my own knowledge, I am reading A History of Modern Germany : 1648-1840  /  Hajo Holborn.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #4411 on: February 28, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
In between schoolwork and Scripture:

The Lenten Spring by Fr. Thomas Hopko

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe

Byzantium: The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Robert McGee Scalped
« Reply #4412 on: February 28, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »
Dostoyevsky's The Idiot. And whatever writing of others I critique at the writer's forum. And my own ongoing novel, which takes a lot of dedication. My epilepsy had damaged the part of my brain that deals with language, and so I make a lot of errors, like typing "our" instead of "are", and not being able to spell words I used to be able to spell. I get the letters confused and backwards. So it makes for extra hard editing. But I am superior in the creative party of the brain and the part that deals with eloquence and skill in writing. Those with my condition, like Dostoyevsky, often are geniuses in certain subjects, like writing, politics, etc. And well, it takes a lot reading over and over to write a novel.

I was misdiagnosed with epilepsy last year and was put on a few different anti-seizure medication for about five months before any proper testing was done. 

Now, having a non-epileptic brain and having experienced life on Keppra I can say that the medicine effects people differently, but it made me pretty much like my Asperger's friend with a lot of intolerance of noise and stimulation, easily exhausted, and the added side effect of difficulty with language, written and spoken.  The nice thing about Keppra is that it is a sort of nootropic drug, mildly, so the electrical impulse suppression doesn't lead to overall suppression of thinking ability as with the older drugs and even newer ones like Topamax (Dopamax).

But in my studies of epilepsy, left temporal lobe seizures do damage the language processing area of the brain.  And I learned they are really very limited in their understanding of neural networks and plasticity.   

I'm really glad you are finding the bright spot of living with a difficult and life altering illness.  God bless you!

I am a bit obsessed with it, as can likely be noticed, but that's the Aspergers. There is a link between epilepsy and Aspergers. I also am developing tics, which may be myoclonic seizures or just tics, which are a neuropsychological disorder. There are many tic disorders. It would make sense because the MEG scan determined they are deep in the brain, around the temporal lobe sort of between a few parts, but including the temporal lobe

Actually just around that part here that deals with language and reading. The tics are verbal.

I started developing tics on Keppra, and I don't normally have any.  The tics got a lot worse when they added another drug, I forgot the name, but it acts on the sodium channels and it nearly killed me.  But then the downside of anti-epileptic drugs is that they can also induce seizures even in people who have never had seizures.  And the seizures can shift around too. 

You seem like you are one that is doing well on it though, and it sounds as though you've got good doctors who don't cavalierly and randomly prescribed medicines on a whim.  I would take something if I had to, because uncontrolled epilepsy is far worse. 

Yes, Asperger's can tend to make one have a favorite topic of discussion, lol  :)

There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14.12

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Robert McGee Scalped
« Reply #4413 on: February 28, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »

Elder Ambrose knew Dostoevsky if I remember correctly

That's correct, Dostoevsky even writes about St. Ambrose in some of his books. I think he changed the name though.

Thank you!  Please pray for me.
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14.12

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4414 on: March 07, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. Reading some of his work is long overdue for me.

I recently got this one, which I should have bought in the first place:

Oh well, I guess since it's by a different translator--and because I liked it so much--I'll reread The Metamorphosis after I read the other stories in this volume.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4415 on: March 07, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
I took the boy into town to spend his WBD token... and saw a counterful of these.

I suspect I'll be plonking down quite a few quid there soon... Not 64, but quite a few. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Tom

• Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4416 on: March 07, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #4417 on: March 07, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »
In between schoolwork and Scripture:

The Lenten Spring by Fr. Thomas Hopko

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe

Byzantium: The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin

One of these is not like the others ...
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4418 on: March 07, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Not exactly Lenten reading. Lots of profanity, lurid stories, and material that inflames the gustatory passions. But it's quite fascinating.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #4419 on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »
I'm going to finish reading through the New Testament by Monday. I'm wondering what books of the OT do you find most spiritually edifying? I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I'm not as familiar with the OT as I should be and am wondering where I should start.

In b4 someone says "Genesis."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:54:48 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4420 on: March 07, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
I like Tobit.  8)  Imagine throwing all this into one big pot: Old Testament people/contexts (fictionalized for extra flavor), everything-has-a-happy-ending style storytelling, cool wisdom sayings/speeches, an archangel pretending to be your homie, a marriage made in heaven, kickin demon rump, some passages that will remind you of Gospel passages, and birds pooping in your eye. Awesome!

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #4421 on: March 07, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »
        try the Psalms for 151 takes on yourself.

;_/\o=
kyrie eleison

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4422 on: March 13, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4423 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
Descartes: "Discourse of Method" and a couple other small excerpts
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4424 on: March 15, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4425 on: March 15, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
"The Keeper," Luke Delaney
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4426 on: March 15, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
Genesis.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4427 on: March 16, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »
Mystic Treatises by Isaac of Niveveh, by A.J. Wensinck

It's on the Kindle and the formatting looks absolutely hideous, but I only paid a dollar so... *shrugs*

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #4428 on: March 16, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »
Started reading Children of the Mind, the last in the main Ender series.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #4429 on: March 16, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
And now I have Storm of Steel on order. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Doof

• Faith: used to believe in Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox, Kolkata, India
« Reply #4430 on: March 16, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
Mystic Treatises by Isaac of Niveveh, by A.J. Wensinck

It's on the Kindle and the formatting looks absolutely hideous, but I only paid a dollar so... *shrugs*

I've also a few times come across poorly formatted Kindle books, sometimes even very large books lack essentials like a Table of Contents. I wish Amazon would step up their quality control.

Also, last I heard, if it hasn't been seven days since you purchased the ebook, you can return it for a refund. I returned a book that was proper, but I didn't like the author's writing style (excessive use of less common English words, the book was Triumph by Harry Crocker), and Amazon didn't even ask any questions.

---

I've started reading currently the first book of 'Story of the Copts'.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4431 on: March 16, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
Monastic Wisdom - The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4432 on: March 19, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
Dostoevsky, by Nicholas Berdyaev
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:10:10 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4433 on: March 19, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
Monastic Wisdom - The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast

Good book.

• Merarches
« Reply #4434 on: March 20, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »

How is it? I love them both!

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4435 on: March 20, 2015, 05:47:16 AM »

Selam

So far, so good.  :) I may do a mini-review of it when I'm done, along the line of some I've done here in the past. My favorite passage thus far:

"There was a dash of the spirit of Heraclitus in him: everything is heat and motion, opposition and struggle. For Dostoievsky ideas are fiery billows, never frozen categories; they are bound up with the destiny of man, of the world, of God himself. They determine those destinies. They are ontological; that is to say, comprise within themselves the very substance of being, and conceal a latent energy as destructive as dynamite--Dostoievsky shows how their explosion sends ruin all around. But they have life-giving energy as well." (p. 12)

• Merarches
« Reply #4436 on: March 20, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »

Selam

So far, so good.  :) I may do a mini-review of it when I'm done, along the line of some I've done here in the past. My favorite passage thus far:

"There was a dash of the spirit of Heraclitus in him: everything is heat and motion, opposition and struggle. For Dostoievsky ideas are fiery billows, never frozen categories; they are bound up with the destiny of man, of the world, of God himself. They determine those destinies. They are ontological; that is to say, comprise within themselves the very substance of being, and conceal a latent energy as destructive as dynamite--Dostoievsky shows how their explosion sends ruin all around. But they have life-giving energy as well." (p. 12)

Nice. I look forward to your full review.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #4437 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
Resistance, Rebellion, and Death Essays by Albert Camus

Just started it, but already loving it.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #4438 on: March 20, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »
The Herald - by Ed Greenwood. D&D baby. Oh yeah.
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4439 on: March 21, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »
LotR- the Fellowship of the Ring
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4440 on: March 21, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »

Goodness, that dragged. 'The Council of Elrond' chapter took me literally days to wade through. :-\

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #4441 on: March 21, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »

Goodness, that dragged. 'The Council of Elrond' chapter took me literally days to wade through. :-\

That's one of the best parts. A slow pace, a lot of lore and an idyllic setting.

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4442 on: March 21, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »

Did you manage to read through the whole trilogy?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4443 on: March 21, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »

Yup. The other two books together took me less time than that first.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:24:55 PM by Arachne »

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4444 on: March 21, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to become part of a new fandom since Star Wars has basically gone south. I figure LotR is as good a franchise as any.

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4445 on: March 21, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to become part of a new fandom since Star Wars has basically gone south. I figure LotR is as good a franchise as any.

Tolkien had too big a motor for his boat; that is, his literary vision was way beyond his capacity to convey it. His writing is downright dull in many places. A friend, who did her PhD on him, says he was like that as a lecturer as well - dull as ditchwater. You won't appreciate Tolkien if you stick to his words, only if you let your imagination go beyond them.

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4446 on: March 21, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »

Tolkien had too big a motor for his boat; that is, his literary vision was way beyond his capacity to convey it. His writing is downright dull in many places. A friend, who did her PhD on him, says he was like that as a lecturer as well - dull as ditchwater. You won't appreciate Tolkien if you stick to his words, only if you let your imagination go beyond them.
I see, thank you for the advice.  I noticed that myself even in the first few chapters of the book.

What's truly impressive is how well-developed (and involved) the lore is.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:41:11 PM by Severian »

Offline Tom

• Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4447 on: March 21, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4448 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »

U gives me a Sad
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4449 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics, by Mikhail Bakhtin

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4450 on: March 25, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
The Art of Salvation by Elder Ephraim
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #4451 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
The Midnight Folk by John Masefield.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #4452 on: March 25, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
Had to take a break from reading Children of the Mind.  Storm of Steel came in and I sat down to read the first paragraph and was totally engrossed.  His writing style is very poetic.  The author has a dry sense of humour and adds a sense of beauty to the horror and misery he endured.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4453 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:41 PM »
Had to take a break from reading Children of the Mind.  Storm of Steel came in and I sat down to read the first paragraph and was totally engrossed.  His writing style is very poetic.  The author has a dry sense of humour and adds a sense of beauty to the horror and misery he endured.

I can't believe you aren't already a fan of Storm of Steel.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #4454 on: March 25, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »

I can't believe you aren't already a fan of Storm of Steel.

Believe it or not, I just heard of it a few months ago and take a while to get around to reading things.

(Yeah, I am late to the party seeing as it was first printed in 1920...)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:38:36 PM by vamrat »