Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 1065724 times)

RobS and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #4185 on: September 26, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
I haven't been able to get into too many new books (related to my own interests) of late since most of my reading time has been spent researching a school paper on genetics, behavioral disorders and ethics. (I have found a ton of books at the library to read over when I have the time though.) I also need to start trying to digest the attempted synthesis of religion and philosophy by certain traditionally-oriented Christian writers from the last century or so, but I'm not sure who (or what) I'm going to start with on that, and I may just work on related background stuff till next summer.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4186 on: September 26, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »
It is a great read. Better than the Bible I say!

And more theologically insightful!

Wat, I am I am, wat?

Not as good as the Quaran though. I enjoy the manic wisdom of Mohammed.

The Qur'an by itself is like reading very complicated, rhetorical Scientific jargon combined with a hateful rant from some white supremacist group. Except that while the Qur'an is useless, the Science is quite important. I recommend reading Tafasir or books like Bill Warner's if you want to get the gist of the book.

The priest that is giving me stuff on Orthodox said every Christian should read the Quaran. It is an interesting book with some good points in terms of natural law, but then it goes into not only manic rants, but even suggests violence, despite what the average person thinks. At the same time is not not completely bad, not in the sense that say your average Amerikan sectarian thinks. Not saying it is good, but that it should be read for understanding of what Islam really is rather than what War on Terror and Evangelicals say it is. I've read parts of it. Early one it was interesting, even true as regards general points of natural law, but then it became manic and dangerous. It would be easy enough to take violent ideas from it. To me it's far to manic and so I do not understand why it is sacred to so many people. The lovely Iraqi nurse I had told me how much she loved it when I asked if she was Christian or Muslim--how much it inspires it. Naturally I told her I had read some of it and learned a lot (about Islam) and found it interesting. No need to condemn it and scandalise her. What I was thinking though was yes it has some good points, but I don't see how an intelligent woman like you could find it so sacred. Then again I do not see how all those Mormons, who are often lawyers and doctors, can find the Book of Mormon nothing more than nonsense....
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4187 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:11 PM »
BTW, I am not trying to defend the Quran. I was forced to read it for school and am glad I did. We should not have ignorant condemnations of Islam, but educated ones. My original post on the matter was a joke of course.  :) And as for the Book of Mormon I never really cared for that as a Mormon. I never really got how it so inspired people, brought tears their eyes, etc. If I want tears from my eyes from a book I can read A Tale of Two Cities. This brings tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTWyT9answ
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4188 on: September 26, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski. It's a horror novel. It's supposed to be pretty weird. I only just read a few pages, but yeah, it's weird.  :-X
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:28:28 PM by Anastasios »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #4189 on: September 27, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »
The Path To Salvation ~ St. Theophan the Recluse
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:27:52 PM by Anastasios »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4190 on: September 27, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
'Dead Water,' Ann Cleeves. Another good one in her Jimmy Perez series, set in the Shetland Islands.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:26:53 PM by Anastasios »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4191 on: September 27, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »
Summa Theologica, part I, q. 76-84

I am not a fan of it. Not because it is the Summa because this part, unlike other parts, is quite hard to grasp. And the questions and responses are long.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:25:15 PM by Anastasios »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #4192 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
And, in between, Beginning to Pray by Metropolitan Antony (Bloom).
And also, in between, The Orthodox Study Bible Companion to the Epistle to the Hebrews.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:24:15 PM by Anastasios »

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #4193 on: September 30, 2014, 12:18:16 AM »
Summa Theologica, part I, q. 76-84

I am not a fan of it. Not because it is the Summa because this part, unlike other parts, is quite hard to grasp. And the questions and responses are long.

I was never a big fan of the Summa, but then again I was never a big fan of Aquinas
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
  • Unrest is the mark of existence.
« Reply #4194 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski. It's a horror novel. It's supposed to be pretty weird. I only just read a few pages, but yeah, it's weird.  :-X

How is it for you? I tried it. I like weird, and I love some kinds of horror novels. But this book just couldn't hold my attention. Too gimmicky for my liking. But if you are still reading it, don't be discouraged by my opinion. Others rave about the book. If you DO finish it (or don't), I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4195 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski. It's a horror novel. It's supposed to be pretty weird. I only just read a few pages, but yeah, it's weird.  :-X

How is it for you? I tried it. I like weird, and I love some kinds of horror novels. But this book just couldn't hold my attention. Too gimmicky for my liking. But if you are still reading it, don't be discouraged by my opinion. Others rave about the book. If you DO finish it (or don't), I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

I'll let you know.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4196 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:42 AM »
Besides the Summa still for school, I am reading the Seneca's "Moral Essays" published by Harvard. The little books with the original language, Latin here on the right and English on the left. I read many of them back in 2008 and they were really wonderful in helping increasing the Roman virtues within my soul as well as chastity. And I am reading St. Issac of Ninevah. Mor is right I talk about women and sex too much. Seriously. I need to repair the bad habits of my soul. 2008 was really a good year for that. Seneca helped, but most of all of course the Holy Theotokos.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:22:54 PM by Anastasios »
                                                             -Aristotle

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4197 on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:10 AM »
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:20:17 PM by Anastasios »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4198 on: October 02, 2014, 01:36:47 AM »
I was planning on reading ideological founders of Conservatism and Libertarianism, which books do people here recommend?

I plan I reading Adam Smith, Edmund Burke, the Federalist and anti-Federalist papers. Help me expand my horizon.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4199 on: October 02, 2014, 02:18:31 AM »
I was planning on reading ideological founders of Conservatism and Libertarianism, which books do people here recommend?

I plan I reading Adam Smith, Edmund Burke, the Federalist and anti-Federalist papers. Help me expand my horizon.

Yeah, just remember that Anglo-Saxon conservatism is really the liberalism of 1788. WASPish nonsense with head rolling Frankish terror. Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities" is good to read next to Carlyle's "The French Revolution". But it's good to read it. I have to read it next year for school.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:19:15 PM by Anastasios »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4200 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:07 AM »

Yeah, just remember that Anglo-Saxon conservatism is really the liberalism of 1788. WASPish nonsense with head rolling Frankish terror. Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities" is good to read next to Carlyle's "The French Revolution". But it's good to read it. I have to read it next year for school.

Yeah, I know about classical liberalism. I wonder where modern liberalism came from... I know John Stuart Mill was an early liberal. What's the origin of the divide, I wonder?
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4201 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »

Yeah, I know about classical liberalism. I wonder where modern liberalism came from... I know John Stuart Mill was an early liberal. What's the origin of the divide, I wonder?

I am not sure. I think I'll start a thread about it in politics. Seriously. You can reply. I'm under warning so I can't afford the next level of punishment from our most holy and autocratic moderator.

Here is the thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,61403.new.html#new
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4202 on: October 02, 2014, 07:07:53 AM »
By myself (on top of assorted coursework material):

With my son (well, I hadn't read it before either):

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:17:41 PM by Anastasios »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4203 on: October 02, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

Be sure to watch the 2006 movie with your son. The much talented Dakota Fanning does a good job and I was very satisfied of it as one who loved this book as a child.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413895/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://amzn.to/1q4iCZn

Also the 1973 version is a classic

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070016/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
http://amzn.to/1naJ0Wx

BTW, Dakota Fanning is 20 now! She's rather pretty but I don't think I can ever find her attractive except in a way you might say your sister is so. To me she's that angelic and charming little girl and liking her would be a sort of pedophilia. But you should watch the one with Miss Fanning when you finish the book. It is very well done. It's on Netflix.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:16:28 PM by Anastasios »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4204 on: October 02, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
We've watched it several times. It's because we both enjoyed it so much that I jumped on the chance to read the book (it's from a charity shop). Although neither of us could give a toss about lil' Dakota. It's a story about a pig and a spider. Humans just fade into the background.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4205 on: October 02, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »

In American public schools you are not allowed to graduate from elementary school until you've read that book...  ;D

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4206 on: October 02, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
In American public schools you are not allowed to graduate from elementary school until you've read that book...  ;D

A dozen chapters in, I can see why. ;)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4207 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
We've watched it several times. It's because we both enjoyed it so much that I jumped on the chance to read the book (it's from a charity shop). Although neither of us could give a toss about lil' Dakota. It's a story about a pig and a spider. Humans just fade into the background.

Actually I agree with one critic's review that lil Dakota was too much in the film. She's a charming and talented actor and seems to have turned out without going to rehab or becoming a trotting harlot, thanks be to God. But the human aspect was too present in the film if I would say something negative about it. The book is very much about the animals and their relationship in the barn. The humans are not as big a part in the book. In fact Fern's growing older and not giving so much attention to Wilbur is very important. She does not just go off and play with the boy. Wilbur feel neglected and Charlotte gives him wisdom the ways of life. Though to credit they do show a tom boy who talks to animals growing into a young woman. And how a mother is concerned with her daughter's mental health talking to animals until the doctor reminds her how normal and good that is--today children who do such, well, things children are supposed to do or get a bit hyper are often put on drugs. I like how it showed that. So I quite liked the movie, but it felt short by giving too much attention to the humans.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4208 on: October 02, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
You and your kids should watch the 1973 version if you haven't. That is much more focused on the animals and follows the book more.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:15:01 PM by Anastasios »
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #4209 on: October 03, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »

Perhaps because I was always in remedial English classes, I never read it. I also never read the Great Gatsby in High School. I think the latter might be a good thing, I am too unfamiliar with the former.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4210 on: October 03, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
I remember my mother reading it to me in third great. I read some of it, too, of course but what I remember is my mother reading the part where Charlotte dies and bursting into tears. Did your kids cry...or you. I cried when I watched the 2006 one last month.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #4211 on: October 05, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
The Internet. LOL.

Okay, to be more specific, I'm reading the articles on the front page of OC.net.
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #4212 on: October 11, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
Marquis de Custine - La Russie en 1839
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:37:08 PM by Anastasios »

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #4213 on: October 12, 2014, 06:23:47 AM »
The man who was Thursday.
Thank you.

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #4214 on: October 12, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss

by David Bentley Hart

Publisher's Summary

Despite the recent ferocious public debate about belief, the concept most central to the discussion "God" frequently remains vaguely and obscurely described. Are those engaged in these arguments even talking about the same thing? In a wide-ranging response to this confusion, esteemed scholar David Bentley Hart pursues a clarification of how the word "God” functions in the world’s great theistic faiths. Ranging broadly across Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Vedantic and Bhaktic Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism, Hart explores how these great intellectual traditions treat humanity’s knowledge of the divine mysteries. Constructing his argument around three principal metaphysical moments, ”being, consciousness, and bliss", the author demonstrates an essential continuity between our fundamental experience of reality and the ultimate reality to which that experience inevitably points. Thoroughly dismissing such blatant misconceptions as the deists' concept of God, as well as the fundamentalist view of the Bible as an objective historical record, Hart provides a welcome antidote to simplistic manifestoes. In doing so, he plumbs the depths of humanity’s experience of the world as powerful evidence for the reality of God and captures the beauty and poetry of traditional reflection upon the divine.
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4215 on: October 12, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »
"Fat Cat at Large," Janet Cantrell. :)

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #4216 on: October 20, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
Welcome Home!-Stories of Fallen Away Catholics Who Came Back

Fr. John Corapi, Jesse Romero and others

(I hope listing a Catholic book doesn't offend or upset any one here. If it does, then I apologise; it is not my intent to offend anyone. This is just what I happen to be reading right now.)
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #4217 on: November 01, 2014, 07:24:06 PM »
Mensch en Menigte in Amerika (Man and the Masses in America) by Johan Huizinga.

Interesting how I seem to share much of the great historian's opinions who wrote quite a while ago. He is almost as good as De Tocqueville. Then again, I've found very little to disagree with in the works of Huizinga.

He was truly one of the more subtle and penetrating minds of the 20th century, Too bad only a few of his books have been translated into English.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:39:26 PM by Cyrillic »

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4218 on: November 01, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
Zorba the Greek / Nikos Kazantzakis; translated by Carl Wildman.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #4219 on: November 02, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »
Praise of Folly by Erasmus

-Aristotle

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4220 on: November 04, 2014, 08:51:41 PM »
The Experience of God / Dumitru Staniloae; translated and edited by Ilan Ionia and Rober Barringer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:53:14 PM by Gamliel »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4221 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. Reading some of his work is long overdue for me.

Mill's Utilitarianism, by Henry R. West. I had read Utilitarianism by J.S. Mill earlier this month, now I'm reading this commentary/guide.

The Troll Garden and Selected Stories, by Willa Cather. Nice abnormal psych/behavior fiction.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #4222 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »
"Huck," Janet Elder.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4223 on: November 27, 2014, 03:23:56 AM »
THE UNIVERSAL TONE: Bringing My Story to Light
 By CARLOS SANTANA
http://www.amazon.com/The-Universal-Tone-Bringing-Story/dp/0316244929

I have been waiting on this one for a long time. I finished it in a week. I read it slowly because it was so good that I didn't want it to end. This is Carlos Santana's autobiography, and it goes into great depth about his life, his music, and his spiritual convictions. He discusses his musical influences and his musical philosophy in tremendous detail. This is a thick book, but it's very readable and full of wisdom and insights. Incredibly inspirational. Santana is not a saint (well, maybe he is actually; I'll let God decide), and he's certainly not Orthodox. But his story contains some profound lessons for us all. This book is definitely one of the top 5 books that I've ever read, and I've read a lot. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I went out today and bought the audio book so I could listen to it in Santana's own voice.

Viva Santana! 

Here's a picture of the book along with some quotes:

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #4224 on: November 27, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »
The mystical theology of the Orthodox Church       -           Vladimir Lossky
kyrie eleison

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
« Reply #4225 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
The mystical theology of the Orthodox Church       -           Vladimir Lossky

Same, just got it last week.  I find it fairly concise.  Wish I could say the same for Dumitru Staniloae.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #4226 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
 I'm reading Staniloae as well: Orthodox spirituality.
 [trans Arch.Jerome and Otilia Kloos,
fwd; Alex. Golubov,

St.  Tikhon's Seminary Press,
softbound

They are remarkably similar one at least: Lossky uses the first 90pp. (of 250)
with his analysis of the natures and energies of the Most Holy Trinity; and cautions vehemently against any attempt at trying to discern the Divine Essences - and the does more-or-less that; albeit from Credal, Scriptural and Patristic sources.
He says fairly early on that any attempt to elve into the Divine Essences is a path to insanity.
Fr. Dumitru uses75 pp. [of 400] to accomplish much the same thing.
In neither case have I gone into Chapter One; I have to go back to the beginning and start all over again.
A friend of mine has described Romanian theology thus: Staniloae is the tipping point - Romanian theology is in three parts: pre-Staniloae, Staniloae, and post-Staniloae.
Perhaps if I started writing them out, word for word, I might understand.
kyrie eleison

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #4227 on: November 27, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
Nothing that would be edifying to mention here.

/shiftyeyes

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4228 on: November 27, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
Nothing that would be edifying to mention here.

/shiftyeyes

;D  :D

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4229 on: November 27, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »