OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:39:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 379890 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4050 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »

It seems to have a good balance of theory and practice, and despite the pop-psych/buzzword/self-help vibe the cover has, the material is fine and the author tries to back up the claims/conclusions with that science stuff. Also, I know I'm breaking the part of the guy code that forbids reading instruction manuals, but cut me some slack just this once, ok?  Cool

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #4051 on: July 28, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

Fire from ashes: the reality of perpetual conversion.
Joseph Hunneycutt and Steve Robinson.
136pp.

I bought my copy from Ancient Faith Publishing; I don't know if it's available elsewhere.

kyrie eleison
JamesLesser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian

« Reply #4052 on: July 29, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »

It seems to have a good balance of theory and practice, and despite the pop-psych/buzzword/self-help vibe the cover has, the material is fine and the author tries to back up the claims/conclusions with that science stuff. Also, I know I'm breaking the part of the guy code that forbids reading instruction manuals, but cut me some slack just this once, ok?  Cool

Wow, it claims to help you achieve happiness, reverse aging and understand emotions?  Seems like a wonder working book.   Smiley

I am going to begin reading Devine Love Made Flesh, by Raymond Cardinal Burke.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4053 on: July 29, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »

Book three of Caiphas Cain.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4054 on: July 29, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »

The Ambigua, translated by Nicholas Constas.

Not light reading.

Also just finished Vinland saga book four. I didn't expect that ending.

Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4055 on: July 29, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »

Wow, it claims to help you achieve happiness, reverse aging and understand emotions?  Seems like a wonder working book.   Smiley

I've started to reverse the age of my pancreas and right lung after only a couple days of working on this. Truly miraculous! Alas, there is still no aging cure for the largest human organ.

(cue the people with their mind in the gutter who misunderstand what I mean by the last joke  Tongue )

methodius
Elder

« Reply #4056 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

your skin?

kyrie eleison
methodius
Elder

« Reply #4057 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »

btw your faith 'refuse'.
   is that with the accent on the first or second syllable?

kyrie eleison
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4058 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »

absolutely

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4059 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »

On Liberty, by John Stuart Mill

Yay for free books for the kindle...

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #4060 on: July 31, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »

That book is on my to-read list as well. What do you think about it?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4061 on: August 02, 2014, 03:49:08 AM »

An in depth read thus far. I can't give a full assessment of it yet, since I'm only about 1200 pages into it. But I nevertheless highly recommend this book for anyone truly interested in the subject. The author does a masterful job of defending his thesis without confusing readers with clarity or burdening them with brevity. This is a book that will definitely leave you saying, "I read that book." You might not agree with all of the author's opinions, and you certainly won't understand everything he says; but this work will force you to consider vital questions, such as, "why did I read that book?"

For those interested reading this book, you may have trouble finding a copy. The book was originally written in Dutch, with a subsequent German translation by Gustav Von Snitzenburg. An English version of the book (pictured above) was published in 1958, but the book quickly went out of print due to lack of sales (most likely due to poor marketing.) But if you look hard, you can find rare copies available online; but it might cost you up to one or two dollars, depending on the seller

Selam
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:49:37 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4062 on: August 02, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »

"The Remains of an Altar," Phil Rickman

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4063 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

It looks interesting. The following turn up nothing on the web, books, scholar, World Cat, etc.:
Gustav Von Snitzenburg (any Snitzenburg)
Claude van der Wolfitzhagen (any Wolfitzhagen)
Earl H. Lewis
The Trigonometric Evidentiary Validation of Aquinas's Five  Proofs (and partial title-based phrases)

Also your text is linked to the image download site.

Care to give more info on the book, like the publisher?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #4064 on: August 02, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

An in depth read thus far. I can't give a full assessment of it yet, since I'm only about 1200 pages into it. But I nevertheless highly recommend this book for anyone truly interested in the subject. The author does a masterful job of defending his thesis without confusing readers with clarity or burdening them with brevity. This is a book that will definitely leave you saying, "I read that book." You might not agree with all of the author's opinions, and you certainly won't understand everything he says; but this work will force you to consider vital questions, such as, "why did I read that book?"

Hahahaha! Grin

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
methodius
Elder

« Reply #4065 on: August 02, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »

-- shouldn't be to difficult.
     a piece of 'pi' in fact........

kyrie eleison
methodius
Elder

« Reply #4066 on: August 02, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »

OOPS!
I meant ' too'  of course

kyrie eleison
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4067 on: August 02, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »

It looks interesting. The following turn up nothing on the web, books, scholar, World Cat, etc.:
Earl H. Lewis
The Trigonometric Evidentiary Validation of Aquinas's Five  Proofs (and partial title-based phrases)

Just one of my silly jokes. I'm goofy sometimes. Forgive me.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4068 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

No thoughts yet, but I'm only working through it slowly since I'm trying to read a bunch of other ones at the same time. I'll try to remember to post after I'm a good bit in or finished though.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4069 on: August 07, 2014, 12:31:47 AM »

Hahahaha! Grin

I think you were the only one who realize this whole thing was a joke. Wink

Selam

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4070 on: August 07, 2014, 02:29:58 AM »

LOL!!!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4071 on: August 07, 2014, 02:31:36 AM »

No thoughts yet, but I'm only working through it slowly since I'm trying to read a bunch of other ones at the same time. I'll try to remember to post after I'm a good bit in or finished though.

It's garbage like most stuff the England ever produced. They were good at enslaving peoples within and abroad and that's about it. Oh, and they had one decent playwright. That's about all you need to know about English "thought".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:31:49 AM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4072 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »

Earl H. Lewis

Oh how I suffer the love that dare not speak its name!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4073 on: August 07, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »

It's garbage like most stuff the England ever produced. They were good at enslaving peoples within and abroad and that's about it. Oh, and they had one decent playwright. That's about all you need to know about English "thought".

Not all of the English thinkers were bad. Hobbes and Hume, for example, are quite interesting. English philosophers had something that their counterparts on the continent often lacked - common sense. English philosophers are often preferable to those vague German thinkers.

That being said, I don't expect much of JS Mill.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:02:26 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #4074 on: August 07, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »

"Interesting" does not preclude one from being "bad." Hobbes and Hume are awful thinkers, in that they are irrational the majority of the time and immoral. The English school has always been remarkable for missing the point, and this just got steadily worse up to such dazzling ignoramuses as Wittgenstein. Hume spent thousands of pages misunderstanding des Cartes, and Wittgenstein drafted hundreds of "analytic" syllogisms misapprehending Kant. Embarrassing, really. Some are eager to excuse them because ( a ) they are English or American and our schooling exonerates them or ( b ) they find their amorality is enticing, covering a multitude of intellectual sins.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4075 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

"Interesting" does not preclude one from being "bad." Hobbes and Hume are awful thinkers, in that they are irrational the majority of the time and immoral.

Irrational perhaps in the sense that the English philosophers rejected Cartesian ultrarationalism and somewhat abandoned the idea of men as rational animals. In this they were right, and Locke's and Hume's empiricism was a step in the good direction.

Now I don't see how they were immoral. I don't agree with Hobbes Leviathan on several key issues, but it raised some interesting questions nonetheless. But immoral? No.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:44:21 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #4076 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

John Stuart Mill's book is wonderful if wonderfully misguided. The poor kid -- reading Greek at three -- raised by the dullest and most obtuse man in English letters, Mr. Bentham. He really had the heart of a Rousseau or Schelling -- but his mind was fastly imprisoned by his upbringing. 'On Liberty' is one of the few books of English philosophy well worth reading.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4077 on: August 07, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »

He really had the heart of a Rousseau or Schelling -- but his mind was fastly imprisoned by his upbringing. 'On Liberty' is one of the few books of English philosophy well worth reading.

Rousseau was a nutter. If he'd be alive today he would probably be locked up in a mental institution.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:07:39 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #4078 on: August 07, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »

Abbot Haralambos Dionysiatis the Teacher of Noetic Prayer

After reading the new biography Elder Ephraim wrote about his Elder Joseph, I wanted to read more about the monks who were the disciples of Elder Joseph. I am enjoying it.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
JamesLesser

Jurisdiction: Indian

« Reply #4079 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:12 PM »

Hahahaha! Grin

Selam

LOL, That was hilarious.  I'll be the first to admit that you fooled me.  Well played sir.   Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4080 on: August 10, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

Hahahaha! Grin

Selam

LOL, That was hilarious.  I'll be the first to admit that you fooled me.  Well played sir.   Smiley

Smiley

If that book seems interesting to you, then perhaps you will like this movie:

Selam

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4081 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »

Anathem / Neal Stephenson.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4082 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »

It's fun! Smiley

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4083 on: August 12, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

^ I am enjoying it.  I have been using his glossary and Google to look up words such as "speely." Grin
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4084 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »

^ I am enjoying it.  I have been using his glossary and Google to look up words such as "speely." Grin

I think it would make a cool movie. Runs a bit long. Maybe some TV channel can make a mini-series out of it. Smiley

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #4085 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »

Jesus Fallen? By Father Emmanuel Hatzidakis (GOA).

Just started on this lengthy book on the prelapsian/postlapsian discussion of the Incarnation of Christ. Might have been able to start sooner had Customs been a bit quicker.
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Nicholas, the Puncher of Heretics, Pray for us!

« Reply #4086 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

I consider the Bible,  to a degree, and many spiritual books like Orthodox Prayer Life, The Ladder of Divine Ascent, Way of the Ascetics, Unseen Warfare and more to be instruction manuals.  They instruct you on how to grow closer to God/finish the race/Theosis etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm a guy so don't feel bad haha

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4087 on: August 13, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »

THE UNIVERSE BENDS TOWARD JUSTICE: A Reader on Christian Nonviolence in the U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Bends-Toward-Justice-Nonviolence/dp/086571178X

Excellent book!

Selam

Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #4088 on: August 14, 2014, 12:33:18 AM »

Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4089 on: August 16, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #4090 on: August 16, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »

"Room 10," Ake Edwardson

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4091 on: August 16, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

He went too far. He really shudda kept with the pulpier shorter stuff. This was by far his worst effort.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4092 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »

Guy Code just saying that seems to preclude you being part of those who would need this text, speaking of which, is trash. What are you "reading" this for?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4093 on: August 16, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »

Although it's far from an Orthodox book, The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom.

Oh it would go ever well with many here. It is definitely Ameridox.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4094 on: August 16, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »

They are hiring everywhere in Pittsburgh. I literally couldn't order from Taco Bell before I submitted an application.

Having worked there before, if you wanted to actually understand what Camus is incapable of trying to get across in this text, I would suggest taking Taco Bell up on an offer.

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: