OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 375449 times) Average Rating: 5
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3870 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3871 on: April 14, 2014, 04:33:41 PM »

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3872 on: April 14, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »

F.R de Chateaubriand - Génie du Christianisme

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Albertan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: UOCC

« Reply #3873 on: April 15, 2014, 12:29:32 AM »

Motorcycle Classics magazine - latest edition.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3874 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »

Let me know how good this is. I really like Kugel.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3875 on: April 16, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »

Let me know how good this is. I really like Kugel.

I often read a bunch of stuff at one time, so it can be a while before I finish one, but I post some thoughts on here when I do...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3876 on: April 17, 2014, 05:25:02 AM »

Joseph de Maistre - Considerations sur la France

labuntur anni"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3877 on: April 17, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »

Ender's Game
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3878 on: April 22, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

I have not ordered this yet, but this seems as good a place as any to mention that the work On Difficulties in the Church Fathers: The Ambigua (English translation in two volumes) by St. Maximos the Confessor was published by Harvard University Press yesterday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:24:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #3879 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »

Orthodox Spirituality by Fr. Dumitru Staniloae. The  Foreword and Introduction just in themselves will bear rereading 'many years.'

kyrie eleison
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3880 on: April 24, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »

Theodore Dalrymple - Our Culture, What's Left of It: The Mandarins and the Masses

labuntur anni"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3881 on: April 24, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

Just got out of the library: "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3882 on: April 24, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3883 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »

Ah, that one is on my to-read list. Is it any good?

labuntur anni"
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3884 on: April 25, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »

CHANGE OF ALLEGIANCE: A Journey into the Historical and Biblical Teaching of War and Peace By Dean Taylor
http://www.amazon.com/A-Change-Allegiance-Dean-Taylor/dp/0981897304

Excellent stuff so far. About half way through.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3885 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »

Ah, that one is on my to-read list. Is it any good?

So far I am enjoying it.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

A woman's beauty with the steadiness of the man.

« Reply #3886 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »

Divine Comedy again.....for school this time....loving it once again. Just about to the end of the Inferno. I have to write an essay on whether I agree with the idea of divine retribution as an eternal punishment for sin. I am still considering my opinion. I think I agree with it. Not that it's exactly how Dante presents it, but I agree with Dante's idea of divine retribution as just. The question is whether one thinks it is just. I believe it to be just, though Lord have mercy on me a poor sinner. Dante's Inferno sure scares the heck out of you....

Question to moderator: Is what I wanted to say in placed of "heck" as in "scare the heck" out of you allowed allowed or forbidden?

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3887 on: April 28, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »

I was reading God's Politics but it's more of a rant than an informative explanation of how faith affects politics.

I got The Essential Chomsky just a couple days ago. I was also going to buy some Marxist writings, but I feared they would be too complex for me so I didn't.

Maybe next time.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
methodius
Elder

« Reply #3888 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »

note: I am NOT the moderator. But I suggest that since you are discussing Dante's poem  The Inferno, (title) then the use off the more common English word 'hell' is not only a propos but a simple translation of the Italian 'inferno.'
But that's just my thought.
Now, as to 'scary.'
This betrays a major difference between Roman Catholic and Orthodox soteriology - our differing views of the nature of Salvation.
The Roman church uses the 'judicial' approach: guilty plea followed by sentence - I have sinned, I did X,Y and Z; say 5 Our Fathers and five Rosaries - your sins are forgiven...
 The theory and language of the Law Courts; which, since the Roman Republic/Empire invented them, was not an unusual example for the Church in the West to follow. mostly in its' post schismatic era.
In the Orthodox Church, however, the thinking was/is not of the Church as a court, but a hospital, where the sickness of sin is cured by the love of God manifested by the Holy Spirit, Who is present in all places and Who fills all things. His Divine healing of those who reach out to Him is made manifest by and through the Grace with which He empowers the Church's Bishops; and they, the priests. These are the 'doctors and nurses' of the Church.

kyrie eleison
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3889 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:39 AM »

I was reading God's Politics but it's more of a rant than an informative explanation of how faith affects politics.

I got The Essential Chomsky just a couple days ago. I was also going to buy some Marxist writings, but I feared they would be too complex for me so I didn't.

Maybe next time.

God's Politics was horrible. And as for Chomsky, it's weird how an expert on linguistics could be such a poor writer.

But if you're looking for some readable Marxist material (mind you, I'm not recommending it), try some of the Black Panther's writings such as Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton, Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver, and Soledad Brother by George Jackson. The writings of Mao Tse Tung are also quite readable.

Selam
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:07:59 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #3890 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:07 AM »

Maybe next time.

God's Politics was horrible. And as for Chomsky, it's weird how an expert on linguistics could be such a poor writer.

Selam

I agree with both sentiments.

Salam.  Smiley

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #3891 on: April 29, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »

note: I am NOT the moderator. But I suggest that since you are discussing Dante's poem  The Inferno, (title) then the use off the more common English word 'hell' is not only a propos but a simple translation of the Italian 'inferno.'
But that's just my thought.
Now, as to 'scary.'
This betrays a major difference between Roman Catholic and Orthodox soteriology - our differing views of the nature of Salvation.
The Roman church uses the 'judicial' approach: guilty plea followed by sentence - I have sinned, I did X,Y and Z; say 5 Our Fathers and five Rosaries - your sins are forgiven...
 The theory and language of the Law Courts; which, since the Roman Republic/Empire invented them, was not an unusual example for the Church in the West to follow. mostly in its' post schismatic era.
In the Orthodox Church, however, the thinking was/is not of the Church as a court, but a hospital, where the sickness of sin is cured by the love of God manifested by the Holy Spirit, Who is present in all places and Who fills all things. His Divine healing of those who reach out to Him is made manifest by and through the Grace with which He empowers the Church's Bishops; and they, the priests. These are the 'doctors and nurses' of the Church.

Good point. One reason I was debating the divine retribution and it's justice for the essay. Since looking East my views have changed but I do believe in hell of course. Divine Comedy is very Western though--great work of literature but clearly Latin. Obviously I do not want to make the essay theological or an apology of Greek views on the matter hich I am not very familiar with as a whole. But I have had enough to have somewhat changed my views on the afterlife. In any case I don't want to get into that on this part of the forum. Like I said it is a great book and scary. But it's a comedy! It ends in happiness! But people always like the Inferno best. I like the whole of it for the sake of beauty. And I am somewhat of a Dante geek. Beatrice and the Beatific Vision are the whole point! Also the idea that reason fails at a certain point when it comes to God. It is why a pagan guides Dante through hell but a Christian must guide him through heaven. A pagan cannot understand God in the way a Christian can. Reason fails at a certain point. When Dante sees the Beatific Vision he cannot comprehend how all the circles in one another which are God are equal in size.

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #3892 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »

Maybe next time.

But if you're looking for some readable Marxist material (mind you, I'm not recommending it), try some of the Black Panther's writings such as Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton, Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver, and Soledad Brother by George Jackson. The writings of Mao Tse Tung are also quite readable.

Selam

LOL. Yeah, one might think, but if you know anything about scientific linguistics you know that most of it has nothing to do with the study of good writing or rhetoric. Even many linguists agree that Chomsky is difficult to read, unless you have a facility for very abstract and theoretical discussion.
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #3893 on: April 29, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »

Speaking of Marxist literature, it's good to read Marx himself if one can. I have to read it in a couple years for my course but I may pick him up this summer for pleasure reading. It's good to know the enemy. Reading Marx helps one use the word Marxist properly. It's thrown around too stupidly I think by the right wing. Sort of like racism by the left. "That's Marxist!" So what did Marx say exactly? Well he said....

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3894 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »

Reading Marx helps one use the word Marxist properly. It's thrown around too stupidly I think by the right wing. Sort of like racism by the left.

Good stuff!  Sure Marxism morphed into things other than what Marx himself specifically wrote about, but it strikes me as odd how frequently people use terms like that.

I'm currently reading Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America.  I've seen it referenced so many times, that I had read it.  Interesting, if a tad tedious, for those who are interested in this sort of thing, i.e. cultural history of Colonial America, and according to the book's argument, ergo English/British history as well. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3895 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:50 AM »

Fifty Spiritual Homilies of Saint Macarius the Egyptian

99¢ on the Kindle...

EDIT--Also just got this on there for free... should be a nice short read:

The Christian Use of the Psalter, by Arthur Richard Whitham
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:35:48 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #3896 on: May 01, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »

I'm read the epistles of Ignatius on a more in depth level than I have before, trying to commit their themes to memory and how certain epistles relate to the Pauline Epistles to those same churches, the book of acts and the book of revelation.

Also reading the History of Christianity in Japan by Otis Cary, which starts off with the Catholic missions to Japan and then in the second volume focuses on the Orthodox Mission. Seven hundred pages of fun.

There is however one book I really want to read concerning the relationship between Easter and Passover by Paul F. Bradshaw and Lawrence A. Hoffman. Too bad it's not on Kindle or anywhere in New Zealand Sad

Thank you.
methodius
Elder

« Reply #3897 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »

tried Amazon.com?

I' m reading Orthodox Spirituality; by Fr. Dumitru Staniloe - for myself
  and the Narnia set for my 4yr old grand nephew ( aloud, of course)
Aslan is not a 'tame' lion!

kyrie eleison
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3898 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »

Scientific canon, not religious...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:43:49 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

methodius
Elder

« Reply #3899 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:36 AM »

and now  I Cor 13 for our matushka  Caesarian - unknown result.
9:45 pm PDT Tues.

kyrie eleison
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3900 on: May 07, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »

Reflections on a Spirirtual Journey by Metropolitan Jonah Paffhausen

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3901 on: May 07, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

Has anybody read The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel / Nikos Kazantzakis? I was thinking of reading the Iliad for the second time in my life, plus The Odyssey (around 10th reading).  I will also read the book in question if I receive positive feedback.
Thanks.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3902 on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »

The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist, by Matt Baglio

Not reading but listening to the audiobook. Fascinating.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3903 on: May 07, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »

I enjoyed reading this book.  I finished it within five days, which is not typical for me. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3904 on: May 07, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

I enjoyed reading this book.  I finished it within five days, which is not typical for me. 

Me too. I love this book. The movie, not so much.

Selam

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3905 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »

Selam

I agree.  The book was quite interesting, and if all they did was turn it into a sort of "documentary", it would've probably been fine.  But it's as if they tried to make the story more interesting by adding absurdity.  Only Hopkins and Cucinotta (Wink) save the film for me, but it is pretty terrible. 

After reading that book, I was inspired to read books by Frs Amorth and Fortea. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3906 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Selam

I agree.  The book was quite interesting, and if all they did was turn it into a sort of "documentary", it would've probably been fine.  But it's as if they tried to make the story more interesting by adding absurdity.  Only Hopkins and Cucinotta (Wink) save the film for me, but it is pretty terrible. 

After reading that book, I was inspired to read books by Frs Amorth and Fortea. 

The best book on this subject, IMO, is Hostage to The Devil by Malachi Martin. Incredible book.

Selam

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3907 on: May 07, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »

Has anybody read The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel / Nikos Kazantzakis? I was thinking of reading the Iliad for the second time in my life, plus The Odyssey (around 10th reading).  I will also read the book in question if I receive positive feedback.
Thanks.

You should pass. Read Joyce instead.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #3908 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

A History of the First Bulgarian Empire by Sir Steven Runciman

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3909 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3910 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »

'The Outcast Dead' by Elly Griffiths.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #3911 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:44 AM »

'Heart of Buddha' 'Entering the Tibetan Buddhist Path' by Chogyam Trungpa.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #3912 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

The Orthodox Church by Ware, The Silenced Majority by Amy Goodman, Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris, and With Liberty and Justice for Some by Glenn Greenwald.

I have others by Chomsky, Chris Hedges, Bernie Sanders and Raymond Ibrahim waiting in the wings. I'm sure I have more after that as well.

I requested like 50 books from the library. Lots of reading to do.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3913 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »

Kudos to you, I admire people who can read that much.  Despite having tried, I really don't think I can handle reading more than one book at a time.  Even when I try to read two at a time, it doesn't seem to work as well as if I'd just read one immediately after the other. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3914 on: May 15, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »

Kudos to you, I admire people who can read that much.  Despite having tried, I really don't think I can handle reading more than one book at a time.  Even when I try to read two at a time, it doesn't seem to work as well as if I'd just read one immediately after the other. 

I used to be able to read 3 or 4 books at a time, but lately am having trouble getting through a book and, say, a magazine.

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: