OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 357701 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #3600 on: November 19, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3601 on: November 19, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »

Deadliest Warrior: Spartan hoplite vs. Qin Cavalry

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3602 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »

Leadings: A Catholic's Journey through Quakerism, Irene Lape
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:09:58 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3603 on: November 23, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

This today:

And then this in the next week:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3604 on: November 23, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »

I was sad when I googled it and said that it wasn't related somehow to Camus.  Tongue   Can you give a blurb of your thoughts when you're done though? The reviews at Amazon had my attention, but...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:25:53 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #3605 on: November 23, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »

Just Don't Fall by Josh Sundquist. Its a biography/memoir? about how he got cancer at nine years old and had to have his leg cut off. It's a pretty interesting and non-boring book in my opinion, though I have to admit that I haven't finished reading it myself. It even has some humour in it.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3606 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »

Found this on the hospital's secondhand shelf, of all places:

Totally not what I'd normally pick up, and still it sucked me right in. I predict a couple of late nights, until I finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Morville-Hours-Story-Garden/dp/B00CC6NETO/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1385395909&sr=8-1&keywords=the+morville+hours
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:03:25 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #3607 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

I'd like to read through The Hobbit again before the next movie comes out.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3608 on: November 25, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »

Found this on the hospital's secondhand shelf, of all places:

Totally not what I'd normally pick up, and still it sucked me right in. I predict a couple of late nights, until I finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Morville-Hours-Story-Garden/dp/B00CC6NETO/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1385395909&sr=8-1&keywords=the+morville+hours

That looks good! There's a show I like to catch, I forget the name but it has flyover footage of English garden parks. It's beautiful!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3609 on: November 26, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3610 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »

The War that Ended Peace : the Road to 1914 / Margaret McMillan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:00:12 AM by Gamliel » Logged
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3611 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:11 AM »

Entertaining.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:14:28 AM by Hinterlander » Logged
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #3612 on: November 27, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »

The screwtape letters and Shadow of the giant, both good books but Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."

Thank you.
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« Reply #3613 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »

Other than the stuff for school, for pleasure last night I began reading the Harry Potter series again. I always liked the books myself and they are very well written in every way. Just the way in which they are written shows the work of a genius novelist and the imagination of Rowling is amazing. I think all this has been said by the critics but reading the first five chapter of the books for the first time since high school they I was just taken aback by her genius as a writer. She really is in line with Dahl and even Dickens if that does not sound ridiculous. I am not saying her books are anything to the novels of Charles Dickens, but her wit and genius in general is. It made me want to read some Dahl again. Really, whatever some Christians may think of the ethics of the whole Harry Potter thing I was really glad to start reading this for pleasure. The genius with which she created the characters and places, giving them names the fit their character like Dickens often did in his novels. Yeah, so Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."

Yeah, Orson Scott Card...I need to finish reading Ender's Game since it's out in theatres now I believe. I only read part of it a couple years ago. I don't know about Card's pathological obsessions, but maybe it's because he's a Mormon.... Wink

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3614 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #3615 on: November 27, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

Anthony Horowitz's Snakehead from the Alex Rider series. I have a thing for spy books, so...

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3616 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

In a similar vein to Asteriktos' recent read:

The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry by R. Ewart Oakeshott (I've been on an Oakeshott kick recently for my pleasure reading.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3617 on: November 27, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »

Edward Young- Night-Thoughts

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #3618 on: November 28, 2013, 02:00:11 AM »

Other than the stuff for school, for pleasure last night I began reading the Harry Potter series again. I always liked the books myself and they are very well written in every way. Just the way in which they are written shows the work of a genius novelist and the imagination of Rowling is amazing. I think all this has been said by the critics but reading the first five chapter of the books for the first time since high school they I was just taken aback by her genius as a writer. She really is in line with Dahl and even Dickens if that does not sound ridiculous. I am not saying her books are anything to the novels of Charles Dickens, but her wit and genius in general is. It made me want to read some Dahl again. Really, whatever some Christians may think of the ethics of the whole Harry Potter thing I was really glad to start reading this for pleasure. The genius with which she created the characters and places, giving them names the fit their character like Dickens often did in his novels. Yeah, so Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Orson scott card's weird obsession with making his female characters desperately wanting their man's baby is a bit uncomfortable. That and the constant repetitious speeches and lines of dialogue to the point where I have to say "I get it can we move on."

Yeah, Orson Scott Card...I need to finish reading Ender's Game since it's out in theatres now I believe. I only read part of it a couple years ago. I don't know about Card's pathological obsessions, but maybe it's because he's a Mormon.... Wink

Ender's game and speaker for the dead are his best books that I've read so far. Theres not a moment in Ender's game that I found boring.

Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3619 on: December 01, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »

The Ministry of Women in the Church, by Elisabeth Behr-Sigel
Women and the Priesthood, by Fr. Thomas Hopko (ed.)

Been years since I visited this topic.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #3620 on: December 01, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »

Just finished the second Harry Potter book last night about 3 A.M. Started it early Black Friday morning when I could not sleep and finished it in two days. The books really are addicting. I read the first three in high school years, but never finished the series.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3621 on: December 01, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »

Just finished the second Harry Potter book last night about 3 A.M. Started it early Black Friday morning when I could not sleep and finished it in two days. The books really are addicting. I read the first three in high school years, but never finished the series.

The only book I ever fell asleep reading in defiance of all physiological explanation. On page 7 at that.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #3622 on: December 01, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »

The only book I ever fell asleep reading in defiance of all physiological explanation. On page 7 at that.

Not sure what you mean...you found them boring? Everyone has different tastes and all that. Of course since you did fall asleep reading them I am going to have to put a spell on you that will make you never fall asleep.

Hocus pocus, fair is foul and foul is fair
Now with this spell and some werewolf hair
wake forever and never sleep
and by the way, o powers of hell, give me Emma Watson for eternal keep!
I sell my soul to thee, angel of light,
because this fool dared to question Rowling's might!

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3623 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »

My woman likes him and so I wanted to know what he was all about.

http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Maxim-Gorky-Childhood-Universities/dp/1589635051

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3624 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »

The Soul of the American University: From Protestant Establishment to Established Nonbelief

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-American-University-Establishment-Established/dp/B00E31OCP6/

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3625 on: December 04, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »

Would have been a better match-up than the actual Spartan vs Ninja.

Ugh, that show, though Viet Cong vs Waffen-SS gave us some interesting Flames of War ideas.

Personally, if I would have made an episode it would have been Sumerian Charioteer vs German Panzergrenadier.  Certainly would not have been the wackiest...

What Vamrat's been reading: Blood Meridian, Cormack McCarthy.  Probably one of the more disturbing books I've read yet.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:55:34 PM by vamrat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3626 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »

I love the work of Fr. John McGuckin, and this looks interesting, but it's a tiny bit more than I'd like to pay...

Anyone want to buy it for me? Shiny? Or even if you wanted to buy it for yourself and you just lent it to me for a year, that'd work as well!  Tongue
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3627 on: December 05, 2013, 05:35:02 AM »

The Spartans weren't as good as they have been portrayed for the last 350 years.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:30:43 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3628 on: December 09, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »

The Cambridge Companion to Arabic Philosophy.

A quick review when you are finished? Yeah, neah, that type of thing.

As an introduction to the field it was pretty good. Some of the chapters were totally uber. Others managed to nearly drown me in a sea of inane historical details without actually discussing philosophy. I am OK though, as always.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3629 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »

The Knight in the Panther's Skin by Shota Rustaveli

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3630 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:59 PM »

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #3631 on: December 10, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »

Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy: Exploring Belief Systems through the Lens of the Ancient Christian Faith, by Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick

I was a bit leery about this title, but it is well-written, informative, and interesting to me right now. No offense to Catholics, but reading this book has confirmed that it is Orthodoxy or bust for me!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #3632 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

I didn't have a chance to go through all the articles, but weren't most of those Peloponnesian War or that one vs Epimasomething and the Thebans?  I think most of their reputation comes from the earlier period.  (And my professor always told us that most of the Spartans advantage was their reputation.) 
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3633 on: December 10, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »

Well, Sparta did end up winning the Peloponnesian War.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #3634 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

Well, Sparta did end up winning the Peloponnesian War.
Militarily they won, but their culture was destroyed during the occupation.  (Note, it was them doing the occupying...)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3635 on: December 11, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »

The Harvard Classics, Vol. 2

- The Apology, Phaedo and Crito of Plato
- The Golden Sayings of Epictetus
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3636 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »

Save yourself the trouble.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3637 on: December 11, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »

Save yourself the trouble.

Why's that, do you think? Smiley
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #3638 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »

Wounded by Love-St. Prophyrios

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3639 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

'Thanasis Vagias', by Aristotelis Valaoritis. I had forgotten why it's one of my favourite poems - almost too powerful for its own good.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3640 on: December 12, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3641 on: December 13, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/dec/19/rome-sex-freedom/
cogent, a good read all in all
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3642 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »

I'm kind of tired of seeing Lao-Tzu trotted out as some beacon of Chinese philosophy when Chuang Tzu is so much better and more interesting.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3643 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »

I'm kind of tired of seeing Lao-Tzu trotted out as some beacon of Chinese philosophy when Chuang Tzu is so much better and more interesting.

If it makes you feel any better (I'm not sure why it would, but...) I doubt anyone is finding a ton of insights in this book, so it wouldn't really matter anyway. It sort of reads like a wiki article in a more conversational style. I enjoyed the last book of this type that I read (Interpretations of Life by Will Durant), but I doubt I'll get very far in this one.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3644 on: December 15, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »

"A Meteor Shining Brightly: Essays on Major General Patrick R. Cleburne"  by Mauriel Joslyn

Born in Ireland, immigrated to the American South (Arkansas), rose up through the ranks of the Confederate Army to become a Major General.  He was known as the "'Stonewall" of the West' (after Thomas Stonewall Jackson).  The title comes from General Rob't E. Lee's description of Paddy Cleburne. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:22:20 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: