OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 375442 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »

I'm taking a class on Dostoevsky next semester with this reading list

No Notes From Underground? Is outrage!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Currently Reading,
Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz

It's a very interesting book.  Although, I think the author sometimes underines the viewpoint of some of the pro-Southern people (which I am sympathetic to) it is an entertaining book and interesting to read how people remember the War between the States.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2007, 07:10:31 PM »

No Notes From Underground?

I don't get all the fuss over Notes from the Underground.  I enjoyed reading it, but I much preferred what I've read of the mentioned novels.  I understand its importance as one of the founding documents of existentialism...but still. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »

I dunno, it's one of my favorite books (not just by Dostoevsky, but generally). I thought The Idiot was a bit of a soap opera, and didn't really get the attraction of the Brothers K either (even though I was Orthodox when I read it). Besides, Notes is a small book (the online version I found was less than 45,000 words, which could be finished in one night's reading), so you get a lot of Dostoevsky bang in a short period. Ok, I guess I'm biased  Grin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »

Currently Reading,
Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz

It's a very interesting book.  Although, I think the author sometimes underines the viewpoint of some of the pro-Southern people (which I am sympathetic to) it is an entertaining book and interesting to read how people remember the War between the States.

It was a great book, and I thought Tony Horwitz to be more fair that I had initially expected. He generally keept the perspective as that of an outsider looking in, rarely being openly hostile to southern and confederate culture. Well, that's at least how I remember the book, though it's been years since I read it.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2007, 12:52:52 PM »

It was a great book, and I thought Tony Horwitz to be more fair that I had initially expected. He generally keept the perspective as that of an outsider looking in, rarely being openly hostile to southern and confederate culture. Well, that's at least how I remember the book, though it's been years since I read it.

No you are definitly right, and it's hard to put it down.  I mean it is obvious he is a Unionist with said perspective, but he at least tries to understand.  I also found it interesting how he took the comparison to the Irish, Sebia, Palestine, etc.  Of course, I don't totally buy his conclusion, but he is afterall a Yank. Wink

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »

Several things that I hadn't in a long time since we put up some more shelving and some stacks and boxes of books could be put on them. (and there's still more space and some standards and brackets to put up *more* so I'm hoping to get all the books shelved  mwa-ha-ha). Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart was one (an excellent story set in "A China that Never Was"), Isabella Bird's book on travelling in Japan in the late 1800's (as a lone English woman with guides) are among them.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »

Just picked up Rasputin's Daughter

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »

Just picked up Rasputin's Daughter

Just finished "Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony"; an enjoyable read.

Now, I'm reading "Evolution" by Edward J. Larson. Only 41 pages into the book, but it's very interesting so far.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »

In the last week I have re-read Eragon and Eldest, as well as Shogun
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »

In the last week I have re-read Eragon and Eldest, as well as Shogun

You read all 3 in one week!  I am having feelings of book envy right now.  What a luxury to have the time to read that much.  I am usually reading 4 or 5 books at one time but never seem to make much headway.  That's the problem with working - it just seems to get in the way of my personal life.   Reading bit-by-bit right now - The 2006 Best American Non-Required Reading Series; Here, Bullet (poetry); Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire (rereading the series before Book 7); City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology; and The Mountain of Silence.

A book I have been recommending to everyone I can is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke.  Absolutely fabulous.  Magical realism/alternate history set during the Napoleonic Wars when two wizards try to revive the practice of English Magic. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #371 on: February 21, 2007, 11:14:05 AM »

Let's see.

I'm about halfway through "VampireSlayer: a Gotrek and Felix novel" by William King.  On deck from the public library are "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest (I never got to see the movie, so I'll read the book instead!), "Sharpe's Fury" by Bernard Cornwell, and "The Seventh Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton.

Those are all on the backburner, though, as I read through the Ladder of Divine Ascent during Lent.  For the time being, they'll probably end up as "bathroom reading".

And I definitely have to get that Jonathan Strange novel, Tina.  You're the fourth or fifth person who has recommended it!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:19:06 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »

You read all 3 in one week!  I am having feelings of book envy right now.  What a luxury to have the time to read that much. 

I was really sick with the flu... Embarrassed

I will probably do the HP books again right before the release, I already have my copies on order.  I think I'll see if the library has that J Strange book too, sounds very interesting.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »

Sisterhood of Spies: the Women of the OSS which a cousin gave me because her father is mentioned in it.  A fascinating book at a quite remarkable set of people.  (I need to look for a biography of Donovan who formed the OSS.); Modern poetry for a class I'm taking (Ferlinghetti is much better then Ginsberg imho); I just got a book on faith in Tolkien's works.  Now that I have more shelves put up, I'm able to get more books shelved so there's easy viewing and access. (heheheh)

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »

I will probably do the HP books again right before the release, I already have my copies on order. 

I don't want to sound like a total geek, but I have never been so excited about a book release - ever.  I have this total plan already mapped out for the weekend that Harry Potter Book 7 is released.  Pick up book at midnight July 21st.  Do not begin reading it.  Wake up Saturday and drive 1 1/2 hours north of San Antonio to the little Hill Country German town of Fredericksburg (aka the Bed & Breakfast capital of Texas).  Check into the Hoffman Haus Inn, lock myself into the beautiful Ivy Cottage w/ sunken tub and private patio and read for 2 1/2 days, only emerging for  meals at a few local upscale restaurants and massages at a day spa.  No husband, no kids.  I repeat - no husband and no kids.  Just a good book.  Ahhhh, heaven on earth. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #375 on: February 22, 2007, 12:32:51 AM »

WOW Tina, that does sound like a kind of heaven-on-earth set-up for the HP7 release. Smiley I'm not exactly sure where I'll be when it comes out, except that I'll have a copy of it in my hands either at midnight or early the next morning, and I will devote my every free moment to it...HP6 I read from about 10am that Saturday until maybe midnight Saturday evening, taking breaks only for a little eating, Vigil, and bathroom. I was in a summer semester of undergrad at the time though, so I don't think I'll have that kinda free time this time around! My priest was at the All American Council in Canada that weekend, and had HP6 in his possession but purposefully didn't start reading until after the week-long event because he knew if he did he wouldn't have left his hotel room for any of the meetings or workshops! :-D

As for what I'm reading now: Orthodox Lent: Journey to Pascha by Fr. Alexander Shmemann, Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan (rereading, trying to get to Knife of Dreams)...that's actually it at the moment, surprisingly enough. Smiley

Donna

hmmmm...
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »

Finished Rasputin's Daughter  It was a gripping mystery novel which although fiction based on fact helped shed light on the last days of Rasputin as seen through his eldest daughter's eyes. At the end of the book it has an historical timeline of the last days of Czarist Russia and of Rasputin. COuld not put his one down.

I am moving on to The Collaborator of Bethlehem. Another fiction based on fact novel by Matt Benyon Rees.  Bought it after listening to an interview with the author on NPR.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2007, 05:18:15 AM »

Still reading The Orthodox Way by Kallistos Ware. Pretty heavy stuff - but interesting.
Someone once said, that this book was the final reason for him to join the orthodox church...

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #378 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:24 AM »

The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design, by Richard Dawkins
Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design, by Michael Shermer

Just a coincidence that I'm reading two books on the same subject. We have sort of a small library here, so you take what you can get.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #379 on: April 05, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

Oh can I please come with you Tina?  That sounds fantastic.

Last release my kids and I went to pick it up at the mall, where they were having some fun things for the kids.  We got home, my oldest and I got our copies out and camped out reading until we couldn't keep our eyes open anymore.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »

Quotations From Chairman Mao TseTung

"Every Communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.""

Justinian

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »

I am currently trying to complete the Radcliffe List so I may become a *new orleans accent* "literary man of the upmost refinement." Cheesy

I just finshed "Lolita" by Nabokov,*shudders*, and now I am working through "The Great Gatsby" by Fitzgerald.

Radcliffe List: http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9807/22/radcliffe.list/list.html

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2007, 05:45:20 PM »

Oh can I please come with you Tina?  That sounds fantastic.

It's kinda funny because my mother is almost scandalized - she can't understand why I would want to go off for a weekend away and she keeps asking what my husband thinks of this.  I know it's not the right Christian attitude towards marriage, but after 23 years and never a girl's weekend away, I really don't care what he thinks of it!  I wish I'd started this tradition with the first Harry Potter book instead of the last. 

Trudy

« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »

This is a great thread!   Grin I can see I'll have to read all 26 pages to pick out some new things to read...after I read the pile that is beside my chair!

Currently I am reading We Shall See Him As He Is by Blessed Fr. Sophrony.  I just finished reading Herbert Hoover's The Challenge to Liberty.  I'm a history major.  (7 page paper is due tomorrow morning!)

On deck is St. Silouan the Athonite, also by Blessed Fr. Sophrony.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Justinian

« Reply #384 on: May 05, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »

This is a great thread!   Grin I can see I'll have to read all 26 pages to pick out some new things to read...after I read the pile that is beside my chair!

Currently I am reading We Shall See Him As He Is by Blessed Fr. Sophrony.  I just finished reading Herbert Hoover's The Challenge to Liberty.  I'm a history major.  (7 page paper is due tomorrow morning!)

On deck is St. Silouan the Athonite, also by Blessed Fr. Sophrony.

History major eh? Moi aussi! What are your research interests?

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

« Reply #385 on: May 05, 2007, 01:45:59 AM »

Well, I just finished a book on current French culture, but the title has slipped my mind.

Now, I am jumping across the Channel and reading Persuasion by Jane Austen.  Very good so far.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #386 on: May 05, 2007, 01:51:43 AM »

I'm reading Christ the Eternal Tao.
I thought it was about time I read it.
It seems to be one of those "everyone's read it" books in contemporary Orthodoxy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justinian

« Reply #387 on: May 05, 2007, 01:55:38 AM »

I'm reading Christ the Eternal Tao.
I thought it was about time I read it.
It seems to be one of those "everyone's read it" books in contemporary Orthodoxy.

George, that book is sooooooooooooo 1990's, you gotta get with the program...

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #388 on: May 05, 2007, 01:55:55 AM »

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0:  Application Development Foundation Self-Paced Training Kit

What can I say?  I'm a GEEK!  Cheesy
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #389 on: May 05, 2007, 02:03:43 AM »

George, that book is sooooooooooooo 1990's, you gotta get with the program...

LOL Cheesy
The publishing info says: "First edition 1999"....Goodness! I'm reading a book from last century! It almost qualifies as an ancient Patristic work! Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justinian

« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2007, 02:06:56 AM »

LOL Cheesy
The publishing info says: "First edition 1999"....Goodness! I'm reading a book from last century! It almost qualifies as an ancient Patristic work! Cheesy

I correct myself.
SOOOOOO LATE 1990's, you gotta get with the program!

Actually I read it in 2005, but I'm allowed to be inconsistent... Cheesy

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #391 on: May 05, 2007, 03:00:11 AM »

Defeating Jihad by Serge Trifkovic.  Great book.
JSOrthodoxy
Orthodox Antiochian

« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »

I just finished reading Dostoevsky's "Brothers Karamozov."  Now, I am reading Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."

In my amateur opinion, the Brothers K. is the greatest novel that I have ever read.

Joe
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-Europe-Renaissance-John-Rigby/dp/0684803526
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »

Norman Cantor's In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

"Get in the Van" by Henry Rollins

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »

The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy, by Fr. Schmemann.  I recently re-read Crime and Punishment, which I enjoyed much, much more than I did when I read it for the first time about 15 years ago.  My priest opined that it's because I now get the "Orthodox liturgical mindset."

I have Gogol's Dead Souls next in the queue.  The little bio blurb at the front of my Penguin edition says he "came under the influence" of a Spiritual Father at the end of his life who told him to burn his works, as they were sinful.  He did so, including the second part of Dead Souls.  According to the same blurb, he died as the result of "severe fasting."
Trudy

« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2007, 11:29:15 PM »

History major eh? Moi aussi! What are your research interests?

Hi Justinian,

My research interests are primarily church history centered.  If I had nothing but free time on my hands, I would spend my time tracing the timeline and practical development of the Early Church in the first 200 years.  I also have an interest in the development of monasticism but have done no reading or research in that area.  My time has been spent just getting the required history courses for the BA completed.  I have thoroughly enjoyed all the European history courses I've taken, as well as the history of the Reformation.  The best course I've taken was "History and Theology of Eastern Orthodoxy."

I have not decided whether I shall pursue an MA once I'm done the undergrad.  I am pushing 50, so don't know if it would be worth it.  One of my profs suggested I push through to the Ph.D.  I mean...what in the world would I do with them?! 

I love learning for the sake of learning and have no agenda for the degree.  I hope to move onto a place where I can study Greek so that I might read the early texts in the original language.

Thanks for asking. 

What are your interests?

Athanasia

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »

Just finished C.J. Cherryh's "Deliverer" an SF book.

I have an interesting volume from the library on over 100 books that have been banned or challenged and some of the reasons why. 

"Sisterhood of Spies" - a look at the OSS and some of the woman who were vital to it's functioning in WWII.  Julia Child was one; there's a photo of her in the book.

"Brilliance of the Moon" by Lian Hearne an Alt-history in medieval Japan

and others.  Grin

Ebor

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »

Fr. Schmemann's "Eucharist: The Sacrament of the Kingdom."

Before that, I re-read Flaubert's "Madame Bovary." What an amazing book, I almost literally cry every time I get to the end.

BJohnD, good luck in reading Gogol (actually, the correct spelling should be Hohol, soft "breathing" vocal "h," like in English "down the *H*ill," etc., like the sound transliterated by the Greek "gamma" - he was Ukrainian... Aggggggh, Russians perverted both the sound and the spelling of our Ukrainian names!!!! Smiley). I never read him in English, can't even imagine reading him in any language other than Russian, same thing as Tolstoy. Dostoevskiy is a different story, his Russian is so weird that he might actually be received even better in translations. Smiley

George

Love never fails.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #400 on: May 19, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »

Currently reading

Chiang Kai-Shek: China's Generalissimo and the Nation He Lost by Jonathon Fenby

Various works for my Chinese 311 class in The Columbia Anthology of Modern Chinese Literature by Joseph S. M. Lau and Howard Goldblatt

Also, Matthew the Poor's Orthodox Prayer Life: The Interior Way

Shawn
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2007, 01:28:07 AM »

I'm fixin' to start 'The Path to Salvation' by St. Theophan the Recluse. I hear it's really good but kind of difficult.

I enjoyed 'Life After Death' by Metropolitan of Nafpaktos, Hierotheos Vlakos. It's really good but also scary. He has a whole chapter devoted to the Latins' teaching on Purgatory and the Orthodox refutation of it.

My favorite Orthodox book thus far is 'Mountain of Silence' by Kyriacos Markides. This is the book that helped me become Orthodox.

My all time favorite fictional book is 'Canary Row' by John Steinbeck. He can really tell a story. I love this little book so much that, for me, it transcends mere words.

I enjoyed 'The Brothers Karamazov' by Dostoyevsky, but it is really long.

I also enjoy anything on the Balkans; particularly Croatia, Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, and Romania. I am at once in love with and scared to death of those folks.

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2007, 01:51:15 AM »

I also enjoy anything on the Balkans; particularly Croatia, Serbia, Albania, Bulgaria, and Romania. I am at once in love with and scared to death of those folks.

With good reason.   Tongue  My fiancee's mother is a Bosnian Serb and I am still scared to death of her.   Cheesy Wink

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2007, 02:21:50 AM »

Flannery O'Connor's Everything That Rises Must Converge

The Art of Prayer

Unseen Warfare

Michael Shaara's Killer Angels
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 02:22:22 AM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2007, 02:37:47 AM »

With good reason.   Tongue  My fiancee's mother is a Bosnian Serb and I am still scared to death of her.   Cheesy Wink

Say no more.  Wink I'm getting used to the fact that everyone from the Balkans has a built-in microphone w/ two buttons; Loud and LOUDER. Cry Wink It used to be that almost everyone of our conversations started out with her saying, "Sweet-heart, you weel know whayn I am yelleeng...." Shocked

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: