OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:00:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 380653 times) Average Rating: 5
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3285 on: September 22, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »

I just received my copy of Sidney H. Griffith's The Bible in Arabic: The Scriptures of the 'People of the Book' in the Language of Islam in the mail today. Unfortunately I'm so exhausted from grading papers and writing a midterm that I haven't done anything beyond look at the pictures (some amazing Coptic/Arabic manuscripts), but I'll start it in earnest tomorrow. I'm pretty dang excited. Griffith is an excellent scholar.

I just finished his The Church in the Shadow of the Mosque, which - apart from some vague, almost offensive statements about the Greek Orthodox Antiochian Church - was great. Anyway, I'm interested in your eventual take on that book as I plan to eventually read more from him.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3286 on: September 22, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »

I love you Papist, but come on we all know Aquinas never wrote anything original.

Reeeeeeeeeeelly? <flips though the 3000 pages of the Summa theologiaeCheesy
Do you think that St. Thomas Aquinas personally wrote everything by himself, or was there a school of monastic scholars working under his direction which produced much of the work attributed to him?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3287 on: September 23, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

Magic in Ancient Greece and Byzantium. Awkwardly shaped (slim A4, like a magazine), but fascinating nonetheless.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3288 on: September 23, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

St. Thomas Aquinas' commentary on Boethius' De trinitate.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #3289 on: September 23, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »

Cavafy - Collected Poems

I've read his poems innumerable times but still, they won't bore. He's definitely my favorite poet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:51:06 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3290 on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »

Finally reading Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds.   I've been building this book up in my head for some time now.  If it isn't any good my incensive power might lead me to chuck it out the window. 

orthonorm, if you want to borrow this when I am done let me know.  Although I must warn you, I am reading several books along with this one, so it might be a while until you ever see it.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3291 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »

Finally reading Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds.   I've been building this book up in my head for some time now.  If it isn't any good my incensive power might lead me to chuck it out the window.  

orthonorm, if you want to borrow this when I am done let me know.  Although I must warn you, I am reading several books along with this one, so it might be a while until you ever see it.

Awesome. I just saw you sent me a PM. The PM notification thing is buggy anymore. Will get back to you.

Yes, I would be interested if you think it is worth reading and not just some reworking of CBT to fit whatever Ancient Christian Wisdom is, IOW, some heavier version of the Tao of Pooh.

EDIT: Sounds like something right up *'s alley as well. I'll pay for all the shipping if you decide to trust two people with your book who should probably be in therapy rather than reading about it and also being more Ancient Christian wisdomy than reading about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:37:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3292 on: October 01, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »

Cavafy - Collected Poems

I've read his poems innumerable times but still, they won't bore. He's definitely my favorite poet.

And very underrated, in my opinion.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3293 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

Finally reading Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds.   I've been building this book up in my head for some time now.  If it isn't any good my incensive power might lead me to chuck it out the window.  

orthonorm, if you want to borrow this when I am done let me know.  Although I must warn you, I am reading several books along with this one, so it might be a while until you ever see it.

Awesome. I just saw you sent me a PM. The PM notification thing is buggy anymore. Will get back to you.

Yes, I would be interested if you think it is worth reading and not just some reworking of CBT to fit whatever Ancient Christian Wisdom is, IOW, some heavier version of the Tao of Pooh.

EDIT: Sounds like something right up *'s alley as well. I'll pay for all the shipping if you decide to trust two people with your book who should probably be in therapy rather than reading about it and also being more Ancient Christian wisdomy than reading about it.

Sounds good.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Sixteen pages in.  Hasn't disappointed yet.  And yeah, Asteriktos can have at it too.  No worries about the shipping.  Save the money and get yourself onto a couch or something.   

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3294 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

The Enneads.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3295 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »

Portrait of the Artist as Young Man...just came in the mail...after seriously 38 days since I bought it.

Oh well.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3296 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »

Women I'd like to read:

Flannery O'Connor
Alice Munro
Toni Morrison
Ursula K. LeGuin
Virginia Woolf
Patricia Highsmith
Eudora Welty
George Eliot
Dawn Powell
Katherine Anne Porter
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:08:22 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: I don't mean to brag but...
Jurisdiction: I've been in an Antiochian church.

My grandfather's uncle, Boris Half-Ear

« Reply #3297 on: October 03, 2013, 12:58:50 AM »

I finished The Orthodox Way and am now making my way through The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriacos C. Markides

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3298 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »

The Enneads.

I haven't read that in ages.  Enjoy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3299 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »

I finished The Orthodox Way and am now making my way through The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality by Kyriacos C. Markides

The Mountain of Silence is excellent!

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3300 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »

Women I'd like to read:

Flannery O'Connor
Alice Munro
Toni Morrison
Ursula K. LeGuin
Virginia Woolf
Patricia Highsmith
Eudora Welty
George Eliot
Dawn Powell
Katherine Anne Porter

I'm glad that Flannery O'Connor is at the top of the list. Wonderful writer! My grandmothers knew her. She was from Milledgeville, Ga where my parents are from. One of my favorite quotes of hers:

"Unadaptability is often a virtue. My standard is: when in Rome, do as you done in Milledgeville."  

I posted note about her on facebook a while back:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gebre-menfes-kidus/the-philosophy-of-flannery-oconnor/250821801656749

Selam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:14:37 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3301 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »

http://www.poemhunter.com/i/ebooks/pdf/gerard_manley_hopkins_2004_9.pdf

completely new, especially not yet used
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3302 on: October 04, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »

The Anthologia Graeca. For some reason it makes me sad.

-Samuel Coleridge
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3303 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »

The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600) / Jaroslav Pelikan. V. 1 of the series: The Christian Tradition: a History of the Development of Doctrine.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:08:36 PM by Gamliel » Logged
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3304 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600) / Jaroslav Pelikan. V. 1 of the series: The Christian Tradition: a History of the Development of Doctrine.

correct me if I am wrong , this guy ended up in the orthodox church, didnt he?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3305 on: October 07, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

He ended up in the Orthodox Church and ended in the Orthodox Church. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3306 on: October 07, 2013, 05:03:03 PM »

I'm reading John Gray's Straw Dogs. I came across with the saying "morality doesn't make us better persons but it does make our vices more interesting." Probably he's merely paraphrasing some 18th century libertine.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #3307 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »

He ended up in the Orthodox Church and ended in the Orthodox Church. 

thanks  Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3308 on: October 07, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »

The Epistle of St. James.  angel I am making my way through the NT on audiobook, using a NKJV edition I got from Audible.com. It helps me fit in a little more Bible time than usual, because I can listen on the way to work.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3309 on: October 07, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »

The Epistle of St. James.  angel I am making my way through the NT on audiobook, using a NKJV edition I got from Audible.com. It helps me fit in a little more Bible time than usual, because I can listen on the way to work.

In my own experience, I've found that a decent audio Bible is the best way to get through a lot of the Old Testament historical books.  For instance, after the first seven or so chapters of Joshua, I would surely have given up or skimmed the rest if I was reading from an actual Bible. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3310 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »

In my own experience, I've found that a decent audio Bible is the best way to get through a lot of the Old Testament historical books.  For instance, after the first seven or so chapters of Joshua, I would surely have given up or skimmed the rest if I was reading from an actual Bible. 

No way, that's when all the good stuff starts. Actually, the only parts of the OT I would say are really skimmable is about half of the Pentateuch.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3311 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

No way, that's when all the good stuff starts. Actually, the only parts of the OT I would say are really skimmable is about half of the Pentateuch.

I like the genealogies. Proverbs is the most boring part.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3312 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »

And arguably the most dangerous.

Too many protestants think that stuff is not in the irony genre.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3313 on: October 07, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »

To be fair to the Protestants, RCs don't read the Bible and Odox don't hear that part chanted in a language they don't understand.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3314 on: October 07, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »

I should clarify that I meant the above only with regard to books like Joshua.  I really like Judges, but to have to slog through chapter upon chapter of war stats in Joshua in order to get to it is annoying (even if it is Scripture) for someone as noetically defiled as I.  I have the same issue with genealogies, census details, etc. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #3315 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »

I just finished Hymn of Entry by Archimandrite Vasileios, lent to me by someone at church

Very though provoking in terms of the interconnected nature of the Church

URL:http://www.svspress.com/hymn-of-entry/
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3316 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »

So I'm not the only one who reads it thinking "Yes, but... yes, but..."  ?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3317 on: October 07, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »

Some gems from Proverbs:

"As a gold ring in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman from whom sense has departed" (Proverbs 11:22).
"It is better to live in a desert than with a contentious and angry woman" (Proverbs 21:19).
"It is better to live on a corner of a roof, than in a house of companionship with a quarrelsome wife" (Proverbs 25:24).
"A constant dripping on a rainstormy day and a quarrelsome woman are alike" (Proverbs 27:15).

"Like snow in the summer and like rain at harvest, so is honor unbefitting for a fool" (Proverbs 26:3).
"A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the body of fools" (Proverbs 26:3).
"Like a thorn that goes into the hand of the drunkard, so is a parable in the mouth of fools" (Proverbs 26:9).
"Like a dog that returns to his vomit, so does a fool repeat his folly" (Proverbs 26:11).

"The lazy man says, ‘there is a lion on the road, a lion is between the streets’ " (Proverbs 26:13).
"The door turns on its hinges, and the lazy man on his bed" (Proverbs 26:14).
"The lazy man buries his hand in the dish; it wearies him to return it to his mouth" (Proverbs 26:15).
"A lazy man is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who give advice" (Proverbs 26:16).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:37:43 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3318 on: October 07, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »

I find myself doing that a lot in Sirach.  Sometimes I just smile and laugh because I don't know what to make of something I read there, so far removed does it seem from what we usually associate with Christianity.  

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Proverbs, not after the first few chapters.  One or two verses/proverbs at a time is fine, but more than that and it feels like you just cracked open a bushel of fortune cookies but didn't eat even one.  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3319 on: October 07, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »

I find myself doing that a lot in Sirach.  Sometimes I just smile and laugh because I don't know what to make of something I read there, so far removed does it seem from what we usually associate with Christianity.  

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Proverbs, not after the first few chapters.  One or two verses/proverbs at a time is fine, but more than that and it feels like you just cracked open a bushel of fortune cookies but didn't eat even one.  

Who eats fortune cookies?

They might be one for the few things worse than Proverbs in the typical mouth at the all you can eat Chinese so mamma doesn't have to work on the Sabbath Buffet after Sunday services.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3320 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

I always eat one, but never at the Chinese buffet.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3321 on: October 09, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

A Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich

I picked up this book at a used bookstore.  I might start reading it  . . . any comments OC.net?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3322 on: October 09, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »

Harry Dresden - Cold Days.  I wish I had something weightier to boost my ego with, but alas, I don't like to fall asleep while reading.  It hurts my back.  The only times I fall asleep reading Dresden is when it is ridiculously late and I should have been in bed hours before.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3323 on: October 09, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

Christian fortune cookies with verses from Proverbs would be a massive hit in the Bible Belt. Could make someone millions. You could get a free bumper sticker with every bag.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3324 on: October 09, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »

Christian fortune cookies with verses from Proverbs would be a massive hit in the Bible Belt. Could make someone millions. You could get a free bumper sticker with every bag.

DO IT! DO IT! There's money to be made!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3325 on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »

Testamints and WWJD bracelets worked, so why not?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3326 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

I picked up this book at a used bookstore.  I might start reading it  . . . any comments OC.net?

Pop history.

-Samuel Coleridge
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3327 on: October 09, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

Pop history.

Is there a better place to start for a survey of Byzantine history?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3328 on: October 09, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

What's a Testament?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3329 on: October 09, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

DO IT! DO IT! There's money to be made!
Gideons beat him to the punch.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: