OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:01:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 379762 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2205 on: February 03, 2012, 03:16:54 AM »

A Good Man is Hard to Find, a collection of short stories by Flannery O'Connor. I first read these stories when I was about 12 or 13 years old, long before I was a Christian, and I liked them alot. But now that I'm Orthodox, I am appreciating them so much more. Full of Christian imagery and metaphor that always comes at the most unexpected times. Gems such as this:

"I told you you could hang around and work for food," she said, "if you don't mind sleeping in that car yonder."
"Why listen, Lady," he said with a grin of delight, "the monks of old slept in their coffins!"
"They wasn't as advanced as we are," the old woman said.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2206 on: February 03, 2012, 03:33:59 AM »

Have any recommendations on what edition I can buy in print?

There are a lot of good ones out there, but honestly, I really liked this little fellow (Bantam).  It is an inexpensive, sturdy, small edition. Downside is no annotation.  I've had bigger and fancier editions, but if you're somewhat mobile, it's great.

This one (Penguin Classics) is great if you just want a clean read. Again, it's not annotated though, so it may be better for a 2nd, 3rd, or 7th read through.

I have other editions that I was unable to find online, but this one (Longman-Critical Edition) appears to be highly organized and annotated, but perhaps a bit like the website version you found.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I couldn't find more annotated versions, but I'll let you know if I run across any others that I recommend.

ETA: Personally, I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the book without the help of annotation.  That said, I didn't understand many of the terms, but Melville's writing, to me, remains very witty and accessible, even if a lot of the terminology is antiquated. In my opinion, there really isn't a need to understand the non-salvific  Wink portions of the book.  That said, I would greatly like to go back through with an annotated version and learn more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:37:39 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2207 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:40 AM »

Funny story, when I was a kid my family was hugely influenced by Tim LaHaye and TBN. I tried to start on Moby Dick when I was like 12 and I flipped to the part where it said something about a "bloody battle in Afghanistan" and freaked out because I thought Melville was prophesying the war against the Taliban  laugh

I've been reading Descartes for school and next up is Aristotle's On Tragedy.

On the pleasure reading front, I'm still on War With the Newts (Kind of slow going. Capek loves to world-build, not that I mind). I'm also going to start on Stephen King's On Writing.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2208 on: February 03, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2209 on: February 04, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

Finished Capek, am now halfway through On Writing.

Pondering whether I can handle a second book in this age of increased homework...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2210 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

Now I'm reading Wounded by Love, and though I'm only 50 pages into it, it is quite good thus far.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #2211 on: February 05, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »

At the moment, I'm working through some readings for my French Enlightenment class. Reading what various historians have to say about it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2212 on: February 05, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

A Good Man is Hard to Find, a collection of short stories by Flannery O'Connor. I first read these stories when I was about 12 or 13 years old, long before I was a Christian, and I liked them alot. But now that I'm Orthodox, I am appreciating them so much more. Full of Christian imagery and metaphor that always comes at the most unexpected times. Gems such as this:

"I told you you could hang around and work for food," she said, "if you don't mind sleeping in that car yonder."
"Why listen, Lady," he said with a grin of delight, "the monks of old slept in their coffins!"

Selam

A singularly American voice to be sure. And all written at such a young age and under incredible suffering.

Flannery O'Connor is what a thoroughly incarnational Christianity ought look and sound like. She appropriated her time and surroundings and spoke as much a Christian literature as any Russian ever could have ever wished.

Americans would do well to read her and pass on the fetishizing of the cultural exoticism of a Dostoyevsky (who really can only be read in light of the German tradition).

She also shows this puritanical trend around her surrounding "secular" art to be void and not necessarily American. Her stories are just as "adult" as anything with an "R" rating in the theaters, if not more "obscene" due to her capturing unapologetically truths of the American experience which would keep her out of many an Amercian classroom.

May her Memory be Eternal!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2213 on: February 05, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »

Selam

A singularly American voice to be sure. And all written at such a young age and under incredible suffering.

Flannery O'Connor is what a thoroughly incarnational Christianity ought look and sound like. She appropriated her time and surroundings and spoke as much a Christian literature as any Russian ever could have ever wished.

Americans would do well to read her and pass on the fetishizing of the cultural exoticism of a Dostoyevsky (who really can only be read in light of the German tradition).

She also shows this puritanical trend around her surrounding "secular" art to be void and not necessarily American. Her stories are just as "adult" as anything with an "R" rating in the theaters, if not more "obscene" due to her capturing unapologetically truths of the American experience which would keep her out of many an Amercian classroom.

What would be two or three of her best works, for someone who might want to give her a shot?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2214 on: February 05, 2012, 04:56:51 AM »

Selam

What would be two or three of her best works, for someone who might want to give her a shot?

I recommend the book of short stories mentioned above. Wise Blood is also a great novel, although it's been many years since I've read it. I hope to revisit it soon.

I posted some wonderful quotes of hers here (from a book of her personal letters):

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42239.0.html

Selam
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:00:46 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2215 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »

Have any recommendations on what edition I can buy in print?

There are a lot of good ones out there, but honestly, I really liked this little fellow (Bantam).  It is an inexpensive, sturdy, small edition. Downside is no annotation.  I've had bigger and fancier editions, but if you're somewhat mobile, it's great.

This one (Penguin Classics) is great if you just want a clean read. Again, it's not annotated though, so it may be better for a 2nd, 3rd, or 7th read through.

I have other editions that I was unable to find online, but this one (Longman-Critical Edition) appears to be highly organized and annotated, but perhaps a bit like the website version you found.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I couldn't find more annotated versions, but I'll let you know if I run across any others that I recommend.

ETA: Personally, I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the book without the help of annotation.  That said, I didn't understand many of the terms, but Melville's writing, to me, remains very witty and accessible, even if a lot of the terminology is antiquated. In my opinion, there really isn't a need to understand the non-salvific  Wink portions of the book.  That said, I would greatly like to go back through with an annotated version and learn more.
Great stuff, I'll be picking up the Bantam edition shortly. Thank you!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2216 on: February 05, 2012, 06:00:32 AM »

Selam

Wise Blood and The Violent Bare it Away, her two novels. Also, the short story A Good Man is Hard to Find
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:02:05 AM by Volnutt » Logged
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2217 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

Bread & Water, Wine & Oil, by Fr. Meletios Webber.

Thanks for the recommendation, Achronos and Habte. So far, so good! This book is exactly what I need right now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:26:38 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2218 on: February 05, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

Thank you, Gebre and Volnutt, for the suggestions.

Stavros, that is a good book.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2219 on: February 06, 2012, 08:29:37 AM »

No prob.

Started on A.J. Haywood's Siberia: A Cultural History.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2220 on: February 06, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »

I don't think you could find a better single volume than her Complete Stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stories-Flannery-OConnor/dp/0374515360

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2221 on: February 06, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »

(writes this down for future library visit)

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2222 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »

I don't think you could find a better single volume than her Complete Stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stories-Flannery-OConnor/dp/0374515360

That's actually the one I found on Amazon when I searched for the first recommended title.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2223 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:18 PM »

Bread & Water, Wine & Oil, by Fr. Meletios Webber.

Thanks for the recommendation, Achronos and Habte. So far, so good! This book is exactly what I need right now.
Glad to hear it!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2224 on: February 09, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »

Just started to get into it....I may or may not be able to finish it:
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Patristic-Exegesis-Ancient-Christianity/dp/9004153616 (Handbook of Patristic Exegesis: The Bible in Ancient Christianity)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:42:16 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2225 on: February 09, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »

Collected Poems of Siegfried Sassoon

Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich

On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:02:16 AM by Volnutt » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2226 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

The Degrees of Knowledge - Jacques Maritain

W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2227 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »

im reading... this

God’s Grandeur - Gerard Manley Hopkins

THE WORLD is charged with the grandeur of God.   
  It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;   
  It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil   
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?   
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;           5
  And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;   
  And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil   
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.   

And for all this, nature is never spent;   
  There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;           10
And though the last lights off the black West went   
  Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs—   
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent   
  World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

completely new, especially not yet used
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2228 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »

I just finished a dry, but interesting book entitled 'The Birth of Classical Europe: A History from Troy to Augustine' It gives context to the development of the western and eastern threads of Orthodox Christianity at the beginning of the Christian era. http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Classical-Europe-History-Augustine/dp/0670022470
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2229 on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:20 AM »

I'm currently reading The Epistemological Foundations of the Existential Theology of Soren Kierkegaard as Examined and Contrasted by the Orthodox Theology of the Second, Fifth, and Seveth Ecumenical Coucils By Wolgang Van Hoffenhausen

It's a bit dry.

Selam

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2230 on: February 10, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »

I'm currently reading The Epistemological Foundations of the Existential Theology of Soren Kierkegaard as Examined and Contrasted by the Orthodox Theology of the Second, Fifth, and Seveth Ecumenical Coucils By Wolgang Van Hoffenhausen

It's a bit dry.

Selam
WOW, VERY COOL!!! I'm gonna have to take a look at that.

Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2231 on: February 10, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

Tomorrow Im going to begin reading Fr. Schmemann's "Great Lent"

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2232 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

2nd Maccabees  angel

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2233 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »

It's a bit dry.

Selam

Hardly sounds dry at all!  Wink laugh

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2234 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »

It's a bit dry.

Selam

^BTW, this was only a joke!  Grin If such a book really existed, I would not dare try to tackle it.

Selam

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2235 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

I wonder if Benjy is based off of Lennie.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #2236 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »

It's a bit dry.

Selam

^BTW, this was only a joke!  Grin If such a book really existed, I would not dare try to tackle it.

Selam
Ha! You got me. The sad thing is that it is something that I might actually read.  Cheesy

thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #2237 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »

Orthodox Apologetic Theology by Professor I.M. Andreyev

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2238 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »

A War Like No Other by Victor Davis Hanson.  It's about the Peloponnesian War.  I skimmed through it back in college, mostly to get information on Brasidas and Lysander for a paper on unorthodox Spartan commanders.  The more I read the book the more I find how unorthodox the entire war was.

Also, I am finishing up the Gospel of John and started on the Book of Judges.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2239 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »

It's a bit dry.

Selam

Hardly sounds dry at all!  Wink laugh

Sounds more dry than a tablespoon of cinnamon!  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:53:30 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2240 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

Right now, I'm reading St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton. I'm about half way through and I really like it. This is first writing of his that I've read.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2241 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »

Hoping to crack open the Collected Stories of Nikolai Gogol soon.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2242 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

Hoping to crack open the Collected Stories of Nikolai Gogol soon.

The Greatcoat!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2243 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

And The Nose!

I also have a copy of Dead Souls coming in the mail.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2244 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »

Father Seraphim Rose - His Life and Works... again. I read this book about 4 years ago and it was probably the final catalyst in my becoming Orthodox.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2245 on: February 21, 2012, 02:16:41 AM »

Right now, I'm reading St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton. I'm about half way through and I really like it. This is first writing of his that I've read.
The first of his? PLEASE read Orthodoxy first then The Everlasting Man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2246 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »

The first of his? PLEASE read Orthodoxy first then The Everlasting Man.

I will do that. I own The Everlasting Man but I will have to get Orthodoxy from the library. I plan on reading both.
W.A.Mozart
Elder

Faith: Orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Eschaton

Lazare, veni foras!

« Reply #2247 on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »

did anyone have a chance to read something written by Pope Benedict XVI

completely new, especially not yet used
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2248 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »

did anyone have a chance to read something written by Pope Benedict XVI

I have read "The Ratzinger Report," which came out when he was still a Cardinal, I think. And I also read his book "Jesus of Nazareth." I enjoyed them both. Haven't read his book on Holy Week yet.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2249 on: February 22, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »

Just finished reading Scar Tissue. Definitely not for the timid. I notice that I'm constantly drawn to themes of suffering and struggle, in variegated forms. While this is certainly not an Orthodox book, when reading it through Orthodox eyes there are nonetheless many valuable lessons to be learned from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Scar-Tissue-Anthony-Kiedis/dp/B000ILZ66Y

Selam

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: