OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 376127 times) Average Rating: 5
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2115 on: December 24, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »

Socrates Meets Kant - Peter Kreeft

Philosophy of Mind - Edward Feser

The Philosophy of Knowledge - Kenneth T. Gallagher

Please don't post anything in the philosophy thread.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2116 on: December 24, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »

Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees

It’s 1791 and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is enlightenment Vienna’s brightest star. Master of the city’s music halls and devoted member of the Freemason’s guild, he stands at the heart of an electric mix of art and music, philosophy and science, politics and intrigue.

But six weeks ago the great composer told his wife he had been poisoned. Yesterday, he died.

The city is buzzing with rumours of infidelity, bankruptcy and murder. But Wolfgang’s sister Nannerl will not believe base gossip. Who but a madman would poison such a genius?

Yet as she looks closer, Nannerl finds traces of something sinister: a Masonic secret that might just be connected to his death. And as she listens to Wolfgang’s bewitching last opera, The Magic Flute, she realizes that the arias might contain more than just the music…

I've just started it, but it's an interesting read so far.  If you have any musical training and can understand the references to music theory (as I do), it's probably even more entertaining.  I'm a sucker for period mysteries and this one apparently has the Freemasons involved.  I'm also a sucker for anything Mozart related, so this book was tailor made for me.

I recently started up my goodreads account again.  If you're on there, look me up.

Wish I had the time right now. But will certainly email the suggestion to myself. Sounds great. I had a whole epiphany regarding Mozart during a performance of the Magic Flute.

I haven't read a piece of a fiction in ages.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2117 on: December 25, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »

My copy looks just as beat up, and believe it or not also has a "USED" sticker on it  Cheesy But I bought it from the public library for 25 cents, so no complaints!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2118 on: December 25, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »

Got the following for Christmas:
The End of Sparta: A Novel by Dr. Victor Davis Hanson
Being as Communion by Metr. John [Zizoulas]
Byzantium:  The Beginning;  Byzantium:  The Apogee; Byzantium:  Decline and Fall by John Julius Norwich

Guess what I'm going to be doing for the next few months?  Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2119 on: December 25, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »

My copy looks just as beat up, and believe it or not also has a "USED" sticker on it  Cheesy But I bought it from the public library for 25 cents, so no complaints!

Ecce Homo rulez.

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2120 on: December 27, 2011, 03:53:34 AM »

Read the 38 Sayings of St. Anthony

Continuing in Flannery O'Connor, I just finished The Artificial [THIS WORD CENSORED]. Next up is The River.

I think I understood Wise Blood well enough, but I can't tell if these short stories are supposed to be utterly bleak (as some kind of societal criticism maybe) or if they're supposed to be somehow uplifting.

Ordered a bunch of books with my Christmas gift card, including Being and Time with Dreyfus' Companion to Heidegger. I don't really suspect it to do other than go over my head laugh
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2121 on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:06 PM »

Finished The River and Parker's Back.

Taking a break to begin We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Dystopian, Soviet sic-fi that partially inspired 1984 and possibly Brave New World.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2122 on: December 27, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

Continuing in Flannery O'Connor, I just finished The Artificial [THIS WORD CENSORED]. Next up is The River.

I think I understood Wise Blood well enough, but I can't tell if these short stories are supposed to be utterly bleak (as some kind of societal criticism maybe) or if they're supposed to be somehow uplifting.

Ordered a bunch of books with my Christmas gift card, including Being and Time with Dreyfus' Companion to Heidegger. I don't really suspect it to do other than go over my head laugh

Oh the contagion that I am . . .

Saw the note on Parker's Back, remember that story I told you about my Priest?

Or did I tell you?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2123 on: December 27, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

Dude, you will so look edgy to all the 20 year old girls at the coffee shops . . .

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2124 on: December 27, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »

Ecce Homo rulez.

I just bought it for Kaufmann's amazing commentary, but I guess I have to read the actual text for the commentary to make sense, eh? Drats!  Tongue Grin

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2125 on: December 27, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

Dude, you will so look edgy to all the 20 year old girls at the coffee shops . . .

I don't live in that kind of town. We don't have coffee shops, nor 20 year old girls. More like 80 year old ladies and crocheting clubs.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2126 on: December 27, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

I don't live in that kind of town. We don't have coffee shops, nor 20 year old girls. More like 80 year old ladies and crocheting clubs.

In that case . . . the elderly alliterate gays will think you are up for grabs.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2127 on: December 27, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »

Ecce Homo rulez.

I just bought it for Kaufmann's amazing commentary, but I guess I have to read the actual text for the commentary to make sense, eh? Drats!  Tongue Grin

One word for Ecce: irony. Or better yet, hirony.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2128 on: December 27, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »

Oh the contagion that I am . . .

Saw the note on Parker's Back, remember that story I told you about my Priest?

Or did I tell you?
Ja.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2129 on: December 30, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

Behold the Beauty of the Lord: Praying With Icons, by Henri J.M. Nouwen. Book on icons by a Catholic priest; I found it in a used book store today. They also had Way of the Pilgrim, and Marriage: An Orthodox Perspective by Fr. John Meyendorff.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2130 on: December 30, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

The Essential Frithjof Schuon, by....................................... Frithjof Schuon.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2131 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This is a novel of substance and meaning.. Characters facing the realities of the mystery and pain of love.. Characters of Evil hating love out of jealous spite. Practical messianic characters who realize to be a "hero" is to love all of life and sacrifice themselves to hope.. Bewilderingly surreal fantasy. Staggeringly devastating horror..

It is a complex yet subtle morality play.

Truly Barker at his best, merging the culmination of decades of his own literary devices, imagery, and symbolism to tell the fullness of the story of the entire human experience in the same way the Bible speaks as literature.

The third book is called Absolute Midnight – which suggests it won’t be a happy book! But the idea is that we are aiming for something which is going to be apocalyptic, but it’s going to be a private apocalypse – it’s going to be played out on a grand scale but also played out on a very localised, very intimate scale..
Clive Barker 2004

Three thumbs up, a must read and you can skip the first two and go straight into this one

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:51:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2132 on: December 31, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

The Essential Frithjof Schuon, by....................................... Frithjof Schuon.

I love that title.  Smiley

I've been meaning to get started on Rite, a short story collection by Tad Williams. I'm also reading Exegesis, a nonfiction book by Philip K. Dick in which he explains the troubling visions he had in February and March of 1974. It informed some of his material about time travel and so forth. Not just a type of autobiography, but an attempt by him to wrestle his demons and emerge with something useful. Maybe not as much fun as his novels, but really eye-opening.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2133 on: December 31, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »

Religion From Tolstoy to Camus

An anthology edited by Walter Kaufmann. There are texts included by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky (including the obligatory The Grand Inquisitor), Pope Pius IX, Pope Leo XIII, Nietzsche, Clifford, James, Royce, Wilde, Freud, Cohen, Enslin, Niemoller, Hay, Barth and Brunner, Pope Pius XII, Maritain, Tillich, Wisdom, Schweitzer, Buber, Camus, McTaggart and Flew and Hare and Mitchell, and Pope John XXIII.

Mivac

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2134 on: December 31, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »

What am I reading?

OrthodoxChristianity.net forums  Shocked

Also, Common Ground by Jordan Bajis
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:52:32 PM by Mivac » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2135 on: January 01, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

Finished We. I have come to three conclusions:

1. If you enjoyed 1984 and/or Brave New World (it heavily influenced Orwell at least, if not Huxley as well), you need to read this book.
2. If you are into mathematics and its intersection with semiotics and philosophy (it was written by an engineer/mathematician), you need to read this book.
3. If you are into the history of Soviet Russia, you need to read this book.

It has a lot of sex in it (the most out of the three novels, but still described with 1920s relative obliqueness), so don't say I didn't warn ya.

In other news, having finished the stories contained in A Good Man is Hard to Find, now continuing on with The Violent Bare it Away. Also, probably going to start Madawi Al-Rasheed's A History of Saudi Arabia soon.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:34:02 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2136 on: January 01, 2012, 11:37:11 PM »

2. If you are into mathematics and its intersection with semiotics and philosophy (it was written by an engineer/mathematician), you need to read this book.

Shocked I thought the existence of such creatures was only a legend, perpetuated by philosophy professors so as to keep them employed...  Shocked

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2137 on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:19 AM »

Shocked I thought the existence of such creatures was only a legend, perpetuated by philosophy professors so as to keep them employed...  Shocked
laugh
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #2138 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »

Adam Smith - Theory of Moral Sentiments

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2139 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »

A bunch of stuff I found, which I thought I had lost a long time ago. One of them is 'Box 21' by Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2140 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »

"Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos" by Steven Strogatz.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2141 on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:49 AM »

Genesis, Creation, and Early Man by Father Seraphim Rose

Wonderful so far.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2142 on: January 04, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2143 on: January 04, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

I got the whole sha-bang for Christmas....Im on chapter 6 Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2144 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:44 AM »

I got the whole sha-bang for Christmas....Im on chapter 6 Smiley
Very nice!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #2145 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »

Finished The Violent Bare it Away (definitely one of my new favorite books, as disturbing as it is) and Everything which Rises Must Converge (definitely one of O'Connor's most darkly comedic stories).

Trying to get a good rhythm going of alternating between O'Connor, the History of Saudi Arabia and Marc Bloc's The Historian's Craft of a couple chapters in each per day.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #2146 on: January 05, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »

Might be my 101 New Years 2013
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:38:18 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2147 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »

Might be my 101 New Years 2013

What kind of fiction is that? Mystery? Sci-fi?

Sorry, couldn't resist!  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2148 on: January 06, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »

Just started this morning...

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2149 on: January 07, 2012, 02:03:06 AM »

An anthology edited by Walter Kaufmann. There are texts included by Tolstoy, Dostoevsky (including the obligatory The Grand Inquisitor), Pope Pius IX, Pope Leo XIII, Nietzsche, Clifford, James, Royce, Wilde, Freud, Cohen, Enslin, Niemoller, Hay, Barth and Brunner, Pope Pius XII, Maritain, Tillich, Wisdom, Schweitzer, Buber, Camus, McTaggart and Flew and Hare and Mitchell, and Pope John XXIII.

Are you just trying to tempt me into the sin of scoffing?

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #2150 on: January 07, 2012, 02:08:09 AM »

How is that? Does it support the idear that the Fathers all believed in a pretty literal creation narrative?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2151 on: January 07, 2012, 02:11:06 AM »

A Christian Ending: A Handbook for Burial in the Ancient Christian Tradition - J. Mark and Elizabeth Barna

Replete with website:

http://www.achristianending.com/

Breezed through it today and am going to go through it more thoroughly. Best and most easily accessible resource for avoiding the nonsense that is the typical way of dying in the "First World" especially America.

Glad to see that more than a few of my ideas about my death fit solidly into a tradition Orthodox fashion.

Hope to have my casket soon.

Highly recommended.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2152 on: January 07, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »

How is that? Does it support the idear that the Fathers all believed in a pretty literal creation narrative?

Anything worth the ink it is printed on wouldn't.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2153 on: January 07, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »

I don't know yet... fwiw it's a more academic book (untranslated greek sprinkled through the text and whatnot). There are 16 references listed in the index under allegory, so he does talk about that a bit. There isn't an index entry for "literal" (or a variation), but there are related things like "historicity of Adam" and such. I'll post on it when I know more...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2154 on: January 07, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Are you just trying to tempt me into the sin of scoffing?

Grin  The funny thing is that, in his introduction to Ecce Homo, Kaufmann seems to speak out against this type of thing:

"The body of knowledge keeps increasing at incredible speed, but the literature of nonknowledge grows even faster. Books multiply like mushrooms, or rather like toadstools--mildew would be still more precise--and even those who read books come perforce to depend more and more on knowledge about books, writers and, if at all possible--for this is the intellectual, or rather the nonintellectual, equivalent of a bargain--movements. As long as one knows about existentialism, one can talk about a large number of authors without having actually read their books." (emphasis his)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:50:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2155 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »

If memory serves, St Basil mentioned that not all of the Old Testament is to be taken literally. However, I do not recall where I read this.

But, if someone is going to be making such an ahistorical argument that literal understanding of the Bible were the norm throughout the Church, then referring to the works of learned Church Fathers would not help anyway since the person is choosing to only listen to history that they agree with.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #2156 on: January 07, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »

"Read Me," by Neal Stephenson. Well, I'll be starting it later. Just got it out of the library.  Smiley

FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #2157 on: January 11, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

I'm not enjoying my books. I feel we should start a book exchange then i could swap them for something more interesting. It could be a secret book exchange then you wouldn't know what you'd be getting.

laugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2158 on: January 11, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »

I plan on responding to Reply #2150 eventually, but I also started another one on the same subject:

This one seems to be much more popular level, and also focused more on practical concerns and not exegesis/historical stuff...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2159 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »

I'm not enjoying my books. I feel we should start a book exchange then i could swap them for something more interesting. It could be a secret book exchange then you wouldn't know what you'd be getting.

laugh

Well now that we know your plan... . .  Grin

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: