Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 445315 times)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Re: What is everyone reading?
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
A Confederacy of Dunces. John Kennedy Toole.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »
"Faceless Killers," by Henning Mankell. It was book one of the Kurt Wallander series.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1532 on: October 29, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »
The Way of a Pilgrim

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
« Reply #1533 on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
The Idiot- Dostoevsky

and rereading: Fathers of the Eastern Church

Waiting list:
Moby Dick- Melville
The Reivers- Faulkner
Love in the Time of Cholera- Marquez
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1534 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »
Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works, by Hieromonk Damascene

I haven't read this new version yet, and it was probably 8 years ago that I read the Not of This World version, so I've probably forgotten quite a bit. This book has had a huge impact on my priest since he read it a year ago... maybe there'll be a similar result with me  :)

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #1535 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »
"About Time", a collection of wonderful short stories (most dealing with time travel) by the late great +Jack Finney.  (He also wrote some great novels, like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "Time and Again".)
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #1536 on: November 05, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
Socrates Meets Marx - Peter Kreeft
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1537 on: November 05, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
just started reading 'the case for god' by karen armstrong.

Let us know what you think of it.  I've wanted to read it, but I keep postponing it (for some reason!).  I think it's because it might be too academic for my tastes.  But let us know.

I thought it was an interesting journey through the history of religion, philosophy, and christianity particularly as she shows how humanity has searched for the transcendant reality. Her chapter entitled "silence" which focuses on the eastern mystical spirituality particular to Orthodoxy is worth the read, IMO. She has very liberal views about God and the Bible in general, but her message that conveyed humanities need for contemplating the transcendant in one form or another was convincing.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1538 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
Right now I started reading "The Heart of Christianity" by M. Borg.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1539 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1540 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »

Fear the Borg!  ;)  Seriously though, I remember reading a few books by him before I became Orthodox... something like "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" and something else. I disagreed with him, even then, but I thought his heart was in the right place. *shrugs*

The Way of a Pilgrim

First time?

I think this is about the third time... maybe 3 1/2. The first couple times though I just couldn't really get out of it what lots of other people do. I liked it and all, I just didn't see it as a spiritual classic. It's growing on me more with each time I read it though, I think.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1541 on: November 05, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
Fear the Borg!  ;)  Seriously though, I remember reading a few books by him before I became Orthodox... something like "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" and something else. I disagreed with him, even then, but I thought his heart was in the right place. *shrugs*

Yes, I'm trying to get a picture of Christianity through different people's eyes; most lately those of liberal scholars.

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Catholic
« Reply #1542 on: November 05, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
The Way of a Pilgrim

I found that book in a little used bookstore while tree planting in Northern Saskatchewan maybe 12 years ago. That is the book that first introduced me to Orthodox spirituality, and remains a favorite of mine.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1543 on: November 05, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

The Way of a Pilgrim

First time?

I think this is about the third time... maybe 3 1/2. The first couple times though I just couldn't really get out of it what lots of other people do. I liked it and all, I just didn't see it as a spiritual classic. It's growing on me more with each time I read it though, I think.

I read Borg many years ago. My opinion at the time: he strips Christianity of its mythical aspects entirely, leaving little else but humanism... with a tip of the hat to Jesus.
"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1544 on: November 05, 2010, 06:40:14 PM »

Did you get very far with this?
I own it, but have yet to read the whole thing. I personally find a lot in common with her overall approach to religion and my own.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1545 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »

Did you get very far with this?
I own it, but have yet to read the whole thing. I personally find a lot in common with her overall approach to religion and my own.

Yes, I read most of it. I posted my review of it a few posts earlier.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1546 on: November 05, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »

The Way of a Pilgrim

First time?

I read Borg many years ago. My opinion at the time: he strips Christianity of its mythical aspects entirely, leaving little else but humanism... with a tip of the hat to Jesus.

So far I seem to like how he addresses faith. He addressed 4 different meanings of faith, empasizing the types that focus on faith of the heart (3) rather than the head (1).

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1547 on: November 05, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »

The Way of a Pilgrim

First time?

Sorry sorry sorry... I got Borg mixed up with Spong! Haven't read Borg, actually. :)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #1548 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
"A Whisper to the Living," by Stuart Kaminsky.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #1549 on: November 07, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »
The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios by Dionysios Farasiotos.

One of the best books I've ever read. Wow! I wish to express my gratitude to Ionnis and Andrew 21091 for recommending this powerful, frightening, but ultimately inspiring autobiographical account. This is the personal story a "spiritual seeker's" deliverance from demonic possession and his embrace of the Orthodox Faith. This is one of those books that I just couldn't put down. Even when I knew I shouldn't be reading it right before I went to sleep, I just couldn't help myself. You will most likely need to order this book from Amazon, as none of the bookstores I contacted were able to order it for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Gurus-Young-Man-Elder-Paisios/dp/1887904166

Selam
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:00:30 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #1550 on: November 07, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
"The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory (author of "The Other Boleyn Girl")

I'm into the Tudors (my husband says he prefers the 4-doors! :D ).
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #1551 on: November 14, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto by Stewart Brand
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #1552 on: November 14, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
The Big Sleep.  I'm in a hard-boiled black and white mood.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #1553 on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
"The Holy Orthodox Church," by Sebastian Dabovich.   :angel:

Also: "The Coldest Blood," by Jim Kelly (not related to the quarterback), and "Skeleton Crew," by Stephen King, which I read when it came out 25 years ago and is better than I remember.

--

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #1554 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
Starting Byzantium: The Surprising Life of a Medieval Empire by Judith Herrin.

Good academic study of the subject; she does a few things that drive me nuts (like persisting in her use of the name "Byzantine" throughout the book).

Re-reading Partakers of Divine Nature by Archimandrite Christoforos Stavropoulos (transl. Fr. Stanley Harakas) for a book study I'll be leading soon.

Still reading it; and it's still an awesome book.

And still trudging through The Way of the Spirit: Reflections on Life in God by Archimandrite Aimilianos of Simonopetra.  As soon as I finish this one, I'll move on to C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves.

This has been put on hold to read (with wifey) "Husband Coached Childbirth" by Bradley.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1555 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:51 PM »
Reading St. Ignatius of Brianchaninov's "On the Jesus Prayer". Anybody who read the book recommend to me a particular section?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:51:39 PM by Rafa999 »
I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #1556 on: November 18, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #1557 on: November 19, 2010, 12:53:56 AM »
Unseen Warfare

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1558 on: November 19, 2010, 01:10:08 AM »
The Roots of Christian Mysticism

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1559 on: November 19, 2010, 01:15:04 AM »
Great Books :

-Chronicle of Arbela
-Life of Rabban Hurmizd
-Apology of Christianity by Patriarch Timothy I

Essential reading...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:16:28 AM by Rafa999 »
I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1560 on: November 19, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »

Yes, I remember having the same impression of sincerity from him. I really do believe he is sincere. I think his research into historical/critical biblical scholarship messed him up pretty bad, and he is reaching for a way to hold it all together, to somehow save Christianity from what damage has been irreparably done through modern scholarship. I was sympathetic to his positions as I encountered them, and for a time even bought into some of them. Then Orthodoxy found me, and now I just feel sorry for him. Maybe I should read some of his books and then try to write him a letter potentially exposing him to Orthodoxy. Do you think that is a totally ridiculous idea?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #1561 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
I think it's a good idea, though I suppose different people have different levels of how happy they'd be in being engaged in that way. He struck me as an affable sort of fellow, though, so I'd say, why not? What's the worst that can happen?

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #1562 on: November 21, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »
Hrafnkels saga
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline JLatimer

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1563 on: November 26, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Grimm's Fairy Tales
1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1564 on: November 26, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
God's Many-Splendored Image: Theological Anthropology for Christian Formation

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Many-Splendored-Image-Theological-Anthropology/dp/080103471X

Scripture in Tradition: The Bible and Its Interpretation in the Orthodox Church

http://www.amazon.com/Scripture-Tradition-Interpretation-Orthodox-Church/dp/0881412260

And all the stuff I am forever reading over and over.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #1565 on: November 26, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
The official racing program at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, AZ ("Every Day's a Winner!").

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #1566 on: November 26, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
The official racing program at Turf Paradise in Phoenix, AZ ("Every Day's a Winner!").

:) Have fun!

I'm reading "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie. 

--

Offline synLeszka

• High Elder
« Reply #1567 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
Considerations sur la France Joseph de Maistre...
Call me fascist, haha

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1568 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
C. S. Lewis: The Four Loves

Offline jnorm888

• Jnorm
  • Archon
  • Icon and Cross (international space station)
    • Ancient Christian Defender
« Reply #1569 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
Defending Constantine by Peter J. Leithart

http://www.amazon.com/Defending-Constantine-Twilight-Empire-Christendom/dp/0830827226 (The Amazon.com link)

http://eighthdaybooks.com/products/Defending_Constantine_The_Twilight_of_an_Empire_and_the_Dawn_of_Christendom-64685-81.html (The 8th day books.com link)

I just got it today! I might say something about it in a few days. ...or a few weeks.
"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #1570 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
Sounds interesting:

As if all of this weren't enough, Leithart saves the best for last. He argues brilliantly that what Constantine actually did was to "desacrifice" Rome in order to establish it upon the true sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Constantine enacted a "baptism" out of the world of Rome, and so he eliminated the competing Roman sacrifices: those associated with senatorial decisions, military victories, and the emperor. Instead, it was the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that became the founding sacrifice of the new city, the eschatological city. As with our individual baptisms, the consistent and holy implications of this baptism of the Empire would have to be worked out, imperfectly, in history.

"Through Constantine, Rome was baptized into a world without animal sacrifice and officially recognized the true sacrificial city, the one community that does offer a foretaste of the final kingdom."
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #1571 on: December 03, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
Architecture in Communion: Implementing the Second Vatican Council Through Liturgy and Architecture

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:16:33 PM by Papist »
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #1572 on: December 03, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
Has anyone read this book? I am thinking about ordering it on amazon.com
The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism -Edward Feser
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:39:32 PM by Papist »

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #1573 on: December 03, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
For the season, rereading St. Athanasius' De Incarnatione Verbi Dei and Fr. Thomas Hopko's Winter Pascha.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #1574 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
God Made Man and Man Made God by Archbishop Chrysostomos
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.