OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 369031 times) Average Rating: 5
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1440 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

One of the benefits of sleep I find is the loss of consciousness. I always find myself incredibly disappointed upon waking if I remember having dreamt.

You like not being conscious?  Huh

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1441 on: August 22, 2010, 01:03:21 AM »

Carl Kerenyi's Prometheus: Archetypal Image of Human Existence

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1442 on: August 29, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »

Primo Levi's The Drowned and the Saved

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1443 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1444 on: August 30, 2010, 12:24:39 AM »

History and Spirit: The Understanding of Scripture According to Origen by Henri de Lubac

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1445 on: August 31, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »

I just got the new book by Karin Fossum, "Bad Intentions."    Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1446 on: August 31, 2010, 06:59:08 PM »

Orthodox Theology: An Introduction by Vladimir Lossky
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1447 on: September 07, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »

Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow - The Grand Design

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1448 on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

One of the benefits of sleep I find is the loss of consciousness. I always find myself incredibly disappointed upon waking if I remember having dreamt.

You like not being conscious?  Huh

The rub is that I have to be conscious in order to enjoy the absence of it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1449 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »

BTW, is Hawking an atheist? He was quoted recently as saying that God did not create the universe or Big Bang.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1450 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »

The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1451 on: September 08, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »

BTW, is Hawking an atheist? He was quoted recently as saying that God did not create the universe or Big Bang.

When asked if he believed in god, he once responded:  Yes, if by God is meant the embodiment of the laws of the universe.

He is pretty much an agnostic atheist, similar to Einstein's views on the divine.  He has said that if there is a god, it would be an impersonal and non-interventionist god, bound by and to the laws of mathematics and physics.  Which is pretty much what his latest books is showing, the creation of the Universe can be explained through naturalistic means alone.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1452 on: September 08, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »

When asked if he believed in god, he once responded:  Yes, if by God is meant the embodiment of the laws of the universe.

He is pretty much an agnostic atheist, similar to Einstein's views on the divine.  He has said that if there is a god, it would be an impersonal and non-interventionist god, bound by and to the laws of mathematics and physics.  Which is pretty much what his latest books is showing, the creation of the Universe can be explained through naturalistic means alone.
In a recent interview he has said that 'Science Makes God Unnecessary' and "The laws of physics can explain the universe without the need for a creator," and  "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/stephen-hawking-science-makes-god-unnecessary/story?id=11571150
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1453 on: September 08, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »

In a recent interview he has said that 'Science Makes God Unnecessary' and "The laws of physics can explain the universe without the need for a creator," and  "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/stephen-hawking-science-makes-god-unnecessary/story?id=11571150

There are no laws without an Author of laws. There is no order without a purpose and plan behind that order. Gravity itself is not self-creating, it must have a beginning. These naturalists see so much order, logic, and precision in the universe, and yet they miss the forest for the trees.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1454 on: September 08, 2010, 05:25:20 AM »

Why must there be a beginning? Why limit the cosmos and its physical laws to a finite timeline? Why assume human notions, such as creation and authorship, onto it?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1455 on: September 08, 2010, 05:40:50 AM »

Why must there be a beginning? Why limit the cosmos and its physical laws to a finite timeline? Why assume human notions, such as creation and authorship, onto it?

Well, why not? Be consistent. You cannot rigidly adhere to the laws of human science until they become inconvenient and then suddenly become a mystic. 

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1456 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »

Aristotle - Metaphysics (in Polish not Greek)
The Metaphysical Journal by Gabriel Marcel

I have read about about a 1200 pages of Berdiaev but still am not Orthodox. Somehow. His books seem for me to be very boring, yet I read them one after another. I wonder why?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1457 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »

Aristotle - Metaphysics (in Polish not Greek)
The Metaphysical Journal by Gabriel Marcel

I have read about about a 1200 pages of Berdiaev but still am not Orthodox. Somehow. His books seem for me to be very boring, yet I read them one after another. I wonder why?
I have been Marcel has been highly recommended to me.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1458 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »

Because of the law of entropy. As time evolves, disorder increases. So what happens as you go back in time?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1459 on: September 08, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

Because of the law of entropy. As time evolves, disorder increases. So what happens as you go back in time?
The assumption is that the law of entropy describes all moments in time, which need not be the case. The laws of the universe, as known by modern science, may have likely evolved themselves.

Creationists often argue that evolution should be impossible, since entropy increases over time. Well, that claim ignores the energy-source called the sun. Likewise, who knows what we are ignorant of, regarding the beginnings of this current Big-Bang expansion?

Perhaps a previous universe gave birth to this one, or this current Big-Bang expansion is a 'bounce' from previous Big-Crunch? Or, perhaps the singularity alone existed, until it Banged, and the universe will expand eternally into eventual entropic death?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1460 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »

The assumption is that the law of entropy describes all moments in time, which need not be the case. The laws of the universe, as known by modern science, may have likely evolved themselves.

Creationists often argue that evolution should be impossible, since entropy increases over time. Well, that claim ignores the energy-source called the sun. Likewise, who knows what we are ignorant of, regarding the beginnings of this current Big-Bang expansion?

Perhaps a previous universe gave birth to this one, or this current Big-Bang expansion is a 'bounce' from previous Big-Crunch? Or, perhaps the singularity alone existed, until it Banged, and the universe will expand eternally into eventual entropic death?
I don't see how you would unscramble an egg.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1461 on: September 08, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »

According to a NY Times book review by Dwight Carter, Sept. 8, 2010, p. C1, "The real news about "the Grand Design" is how disappointingly tinny and inelegant it is."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1462 on: September 08, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »

The atoms that make up that scrambled egg would become part of the body of a little bouncing baby, or a lumberjack, or a cocker spaniel. Cool

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1463 on: September 08, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »

The atoms that make up that scrambled egg would become part of the body of a little bouncing baby, or a lumberjack, or a cocker spaniel. Cool
Which is why many of us believe that there must be a designer even behind the process of evolution.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1464 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »

Can you show us how that unscrambled egg could be put back together as it was before the scrambling. Have you read about Humpty Dumpty?  Or could you show us how to unmix a mixture of hot and cold water so that the molecules return to their previous state?
As time advances, disorder increases. What happens if we go back in time 40 billion years?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1465 on: September 08, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

Epicurus attempted it over 2000 years ago. It's still false.

Incidentally, I don't think most of our modern science gurus are philosophically literate enough to have read Epicurus.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #1466 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Sounds to me more like what is usually called "pantheism", though I must admit I have a hard time understanding the real difference between "pantheism" and atheism.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #1467 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Why must there be a beginning? Why limit the cosmos and its physical laws to a finite timeline?

Even if the universe is set up in an oscillating implosion/explosion mechanism, because this happens in a passing sequence of time, it would appear that it nonetheless would have had to have had a beginning at some point to set if off.

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1468 on: September 10, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »

St. Gregory of Nyssa On the Soul and the Resurrection.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1469 on: September 10, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »

Why must there be a beginning? Why limit the cosmos and its physical laws to a finite timeline?

Even if the universe is set up in an oscillating implosion/explosion mechanism, because this happens in a passing sequence of time, it would appear that it nonetheless would have had to have had a beginning at some point to set if off.
Exactly, and if time were infinitely long, then the universe would have to have pass through an infinite number of "days", and thus, would never reach today.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1470 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:25 PM »

Exactly, and if time were infinitely long, then the universe would have to have pass through an infinite number of "days", and thus, would never reach today.

I hope this is irony.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1471 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »

I just got a copy of "An Introduction to the Christian Orthodox Church."   angel I plan to start reading it this weekend.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1472 on: September 10, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »

I just got a copy of "An Introduction to the Christian Orthodox Church."   angel I plan to start reading it this weekend.
by?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1473 on: September 10, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

by?

It is by John Binns. Sorry I left that out.

Also, the title was plural, "...Churches." Sorry.   Cheesy  Thank you.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #1474 on: September 10, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »

St. Gregory of Nyssa On the Soul and the Resurrection.

I've been thinking of maybe reading that. How is it?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1475 on: September 10, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »

Larry King live will host Stephen Hawking and Jesuit priest Father Robert J. Spitzer, S.J., Ph.D., President of the Magis Center of Reason and Faith, immediate past president of Gonzaga University and author of the recently published New Proofs for the Existence of God. Father Spitzer has replied to prof. Hawking with "The Curious Metaphysics of Dr. Stephen Hawking."
It should prove to be an interesting show tonight.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1476 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

Can you show us how that unscrambled egg could be put back together as it was before the scrambling....
As time advances, disorder increases.
Of course, that's not totally true. I can take an egg, scramble it, feed it to my child, and have the atoms from that scrambled, disorderly egg now become part of that very organized, complex human biological system. So, I've gone from 'disorder' ('scrambled') to 'order' (the human body), at least on a local level. There's little reason to assume that such processes are merely limited to this local level.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1477 on: September 10, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »

Larry King live will host Stephen Hawking and Jesuit priest Father Robert J. Spitzer, S.J., Ph.D., President of the Magis Center of Reason and Faith, immediate past president of Gonzaga University and author of the recently published New Proofs for the Existence of God. Father Spitzer has replied to prof. Hawking with "The Curious Metaphysics of Dr. Stephen Hawking."
It should prove to be an interesting show tonight.

Larry King, Stephen Hawking, and a Catholic Priest . . .

I defy you not to find a punchline there.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1478 on: September 11, 2010, 12:52:24 AM »

Can you show us how that unscrambled egg could be put back together as it was before the scrambling....
As time advances, disorder increases.
Of course, that's not totally true. I can take an egg, scramble it, feed it to my child, and have the atoms from that scrambled, disorderly egg now become part of that very organized, complex human biological system. So, I've gone from 'disorder' ('scrambled') to 'order' (the human body), at least on a local level. There's little reason to assume that such processes are merely limited to this local level.
i don't see where you have unscrambled the egg.
It looks like you have gone from one system to another. But, although you may have decreased the total entropy of one system, you have increased the entropy of the other system.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #1479 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »

Dear Stanley and others,

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system is always increasing. The human and the egg are not closed systems. The closed system would basically be the earth and the sun, whose entropy are indeed constantly increasing due to energy dissipation and resource consumption. I may eat an egg, but never with 100% efficiancy!

When I conduct an experimnt in the lab, I mix some chemicals together, heat it up to get it over the activation energy, and, voila! I have a more organized compound than I started with. Due to factors such as heat loss, the net entropy of the universe has increased; yet I have made a more highly organized compound. That does not mean that God guided the reaction.

Rufus
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1480 on: September 11, 2010, 01:50:57 AM »

Dear Stanley and others,

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a closed system is always increasing. The human and the egg are not closed systems. The closed system would basically be the earth and the sun, whose entropy are indeed constantly increasing due to energy dissipation and resource consumption. I may eat an egg, but never with 100% efficiancy!

When I conduct an experimnt in the lab, I mix some chemicals together, heat it up to get it over the activation energy, and, voila! I have a more organized compound than I started with. Due to factors such as heat loss, the net entropy of the universe has increased; yet I have made a more highly organized compound. That does not mean that God guided the reaction.

Rufus
So basically then you do agree that as time passes, the net entropy of the universe increases? Heat will not flow from a colder body to a hotter body. Then, my question is what would one expect, if one were to go backward in time? Would you not expect to see a decrease in the net entropy of the universe?
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #1481 on: September 11, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »

Dear Stanley and others,

Rufus
So basically then you do agree that as time passes, the net entropy of the universe increases? Heat will not flow from a colder body to a hotter body. Then, my question is what would one expect, if one were to go backward in time? Would you not expect to see a decrease in the net entropy of the universe?

Correct, according to the conventional laws of thermodynamics, the universe had lower entropy in the past.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #1482 on: September 11, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »

I'm reading Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives: the Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica. Wonderful book. I've read the part about his life and now I'm on to his teachings.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1483 on: September 11, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1484 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

A great book.

Selam

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: