OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 366191 times) Average Rating: 5
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1395 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »

An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African American Experience

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CSBALTSCHP-01

Excellent book!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1396 on: July 14, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »

Carvaka/Lokayata:An Anthology of Source Materials and Some Recent Studies - ed. by Debiprasad Chattopadhyaya. Much less enjoyable than I thought it'd be. I mean, it's about a heterodox current of thought in ancient India that was atheistic/naturalistic and hedonistic. They were to Hinduism and Buddhism what the most outrageous heretics were to Christianity. How do you make that kind of thing dry and boring? Then again, probably the boringest* book I've ever read was on the epistemology of the Cyrenaics, a hedonistic school in ancient Greece. Hedonists just apparently aren't that interesting  Cheesy

*Wait, is boringest a word? Oh well...

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #1397 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:05 AM »

An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African American Experience

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CSBALTSCHP-01

Excellent book!

Selam

Yes, I have the book! As well as this one:

They both are great books!

Hey, check these vids out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGwII0CLh7M (unbroken circle part 2)

http://vimeo.com/12155467 (unbroken circle)

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:13:38 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #1398 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »

I received "Eusebius: The Church History" by mail yesterday.  Can't wait to get started. Smiley

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1399 on: July 14, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »

For the Life of the World - Alexander Schmemann

BTW, how is he viewed in Eastern Orthodox circles?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1400 on: July 14, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »

A History of England.  I don't recall the author off the top of my head, but it is a pretty good read.  Just finished with Alfred the Great.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1401 on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »

Many Orthodox seem to like Schmemann, though there have been a few critiques of his work (mostly coming from more traditional Orthodox, such as Fr. Michael Pomazansky).

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1402 on: July 14, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

I'm presently reading Asceticism and Christological Controversy in Fifth Century Palestine by Cornelia Horn.

It's an interesting study of St Peter the Iberian, the Georgian saint of the Oriental Orthodox.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #1403 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:54 AM »

Now, I'm reading Father Arseney

very fascinating, and inspiring insight into the life of a Russian priest in a labor camp in the Soviet Union.

I am, though, excited to sink my teeth into this:

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #1404 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »

Right now I'm reading "A Long Way Gone Memoirs of A Boy Solider" for school I'malso making my way through "Augustine of Hippo" by Peter Brown.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1405 on: July 23, 2010, 10:40:28 PM »

Right now I'm reading "A Long Way Gone Memoirs of A Boy Solider" for school I'malso making my way through "Augustine of Hippo" by Peter Brown.

"A Long Way Gone" is a terrific book. Heartbreaking to read, but very powerful.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #1406 on: July 27, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »

"Ivory's Ghosts, The White Gold of History and the Fate of Elephants" by John Frederick Walker
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1407 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »

Roots by Alex Haley.

Just finished Mark Twain's essay To the Person Sitting in Darkness, a brilliant rebuttal to Kipling's patronizing The White Man's Burden.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1408 on: July 28, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »

St. Cyril of Alexandria: The Christological Controversy : Its History, Theology, and Texts
Author: John Anthony McGuckin
Publisher: St Vladimirs Seminary Press (April 1, 2004)

Can't recommend this enough...almost understandable to even a moron like me Cheesy

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1409 on: July 28, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »

Rereading a favorite children's book, found while cleaning out the garage: "Never Go Anywhere With Digby," by Ethelyn M. Parkinson, 1971.  Basically 4 boys go on a road trip by bicycle.  Very funny - holds up quite well!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #1410 on: July 29, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »

Rereading a favorite children's book, found while cleaning out the garage: "Never Go Anywhere With Digby," by Ethelyn M. Parkinson, 1971.  Basically 4 boys go on a road trip by bicycle.  Very funny - holds up quite well!

I remember that book, great book!
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #1411 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »

I remember that book, great book!

I also have a copy of the same author's "Today I Am A Ham", about a boy who's trying to become a ham radio operator.  The technology is pretty dated but that's also still a fun book!  Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1412 on: July 29, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »

God: His Existent and His Nature: A Thomistic Solution of Certain Agnotstic Antimonies
                                                                              - Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange

Its AWESOME!!!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1413 on: July 29, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »

St. Cyril of Alexandria: The Christological Controversy : Its History, Theology, and Texts
Author: John Anthony McGuckin
Publisher: St Vladimirs Seminary Press (April 1, 2004)

Can't recommend this enough...almost understandable to even a moron like me Cheesy

Tell me more if you don't mind. Is it written by a non-Chalcedonian?

Selam

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1414 on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »

Selam

Fr. John is Romanian Orthodox Priest who was born and raised Roman Catholic. So, no he's not a "non-Chalcedonian".  But he is a first rate scholar and a great admirer of St. Cyril and his writings. Although I don't necessarily agree with everything he said regarding Chalcedon (which he only touched on in one chapter), I greatly appreciated his eirenic writing style and learned a lot.... A LOT! I also think its a perfect companion to Fr. Samuels book and a foundational book for anyone interested in the Christological controversies of the time.

I'd be lying if I said it was an easy read and do plan on re-reading it several more times but its only because the material itself is so above my meager intellect.  Fr. John's writing style is that of a teacher and he breaks things down very well. But it does need real study as opposed to the normal way I read books i.e. holding the book in one hand and my daughter in the other while trying to keep her from tearing the pages  Grin

I hope all is well with you and your family, brother.

In Christ.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1415 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »

Selam

Fr. John is Romanian Orthodox Priest who was born and raised Roman Catholic. So, no he's not a "non-Chalcedonian".  But he is a first rate scholar and a great admirer of St. Cyril and his writings. Although I don't necessarily agree with everything he said regarding Chalcedon (which he only touched on in one chapter), I greatly appreciated his eirenic writing style and learned a lot.... A LOT! I also think its a perfect companion to Fr. Samuels book and a foundational book for anyone interested in the Christological controversies of the time.

I'd be lying if I said it was an easy read and do plan on re-reading it several more times but its only because the material itself is so above my meager intellect.  Fr. John's writing style is that of a teacher and he breaks things down very well. But it does need real study as opposed to the normal way I read books i.e. holding the book in one hand and my daughter in the other while trying to keep her from tearing the pages  Grin

I hope all is well with you and your family, brother.

In Christ.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll need to read it eventually.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1416 on: August 05, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

The Disappearing Spoon and Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean. It's a fascinating look at humanity from the point of view of the various elements, from the time the first protons hurtled out of the Big Bang through the naming of Copernicium. Brilliant storytelling and historical and scientific accuracy rarely can be found in the same work, which makes Kean's achievement all the more impressive. Highly recommended for lovers of history and science, and anyone who ever "accidentally" dropped a mercury thermometer just to watch what happened.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1417 on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

Edgar Wallace's "The Mind of Mr. J. G. Reeder"

I've been on a crime/mystery kick as of late.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #1418 on: August 07, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

I'm REreading a wonderful novel by the late Rumer Godden (you may be familiar with her "In This House of Brede", about an older woman who enters a convent) - this one is called "China Court", and it's a lovely, slow-moving but not at all dull, story chronicling the days followng the death of an elderly woman.  Her granddaughter, who hasn't seen her since she herself was a child, comes to the funeral and is dismayed by how her aunts and uncles are all too eager to sell off all the bits and pieces that made the house (called China Court) so special to her.

Yet none of the characters is a caricature - we see why each of them came to be what they are today, and we understand that they're just ordinary sinners like you and me.

I'm still not getting at the heart of the story but that's because it's just one of those books that's really hard to describe!  Just read it - you'll see what I mean! Smiley

Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #1419 on: August 07, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »

Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens and Orthodox Spirituality by A Monk of the Eastern Church.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1420 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov.  I can't believe I made it to thirty without reading an entire novel by Dostoyevsky.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1421 on: August 07, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »

I'm re-reading through The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1422 on: August 08, 2010, 04:42:37 AM »

The Brothers Karamazov.  I can't believe I made it to thirty without reading an entire novel by Dostoyevsky.

What a great book! I read it long before I was Orthodox, and I loved it. I really need to read it again now, because I'm sure there was a lot I missed the first time I read it through the lens of Protestantism.

Selam

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1423 on: August 08, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »

Contemporary Ascetics of Mount Athos, Volume I

Hands down, one of the top 5 most interesting and beneficial books I have ever read. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1424 on: August 08, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

What a great book! I read it long before I was Orthodox, and I loved it. I really need to read it again now, because I'm sure there was a lot I missed the first time I read it through the lens of Protestantism.

Selam

Having now finished the book, I can say I greatly enjoyed it, and am disappointed that Dostoyevsky died before informing us of the later actions of Alyosha.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1425 on: August 08, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »

Working through the following right now:

The Lord Christ: Out of Egypt
by Anne Rice
Commentary on Galatians by Fr. Paul Nadim Tarazi
The Virgin Mary:  Celebration of Faith 3 by +Fr. Alexander Schmemann
The Way of the Fathers:  Exploring the Patristic Mind by Fr. John Chryssavgis

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1426 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »

Started "Ghosts of Cannae".  It's pretty good, for any ancient history lovers out there.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1427 on: August 09, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »

Can't remember if I mentioned it here, but I finally finished Fr. A. James Bernstein's book, Surprised by Christ.  Not a bad read, but once you've read one conversion story, you've kind of read them all!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #1428 on: August 10, 2010, 02:52:00 AM »

I thought "Surprised by Christ" was a unique conversion story.  I, personally, don't know of many Jews who have become Christians, not to mention, Orthodox.

I just finished "The Exiles of the Cebenna", and I'm starting "How the Irish Saved Civilization".

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1429 on: August 12, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

"On the cruelty of really teaching computing science" by Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1430 on: August 12, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »

this sounds like a really great book, but I didn't find it listed on Amazon. Do you have the ISBN?
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1431 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »

this sounds like a really great book, but I didn't find it listed on Amazon. Do you have the ISBN?
It is actually just a short paper he wrote in the late 80s.  Not sure if it has been published, but it can be found in the Dijkstra Archive:  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1432 on: August 13, 2010, 01:36:11 AM »

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1433 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »

It is actually just a short paper he wrote in the late 80s.  Not sure if it has been published, but it can be found in the Dijkstra Archive:  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd10xx/EWD1036.PDF

What text do you use nowadays for intro students? I was privileged to work through an older edition of:

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1434 on: August 13, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life by Stephen LaBerge

One of the benefits of sleep I find is the loss of consciousness. I always find myself incredibly disappointed upon waking if I remember having dreamt.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1435 on: August 13, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »

Same here, exactly!  I'm about 200 pages from the end and loving it as I've not loved any other work of fiction.

Also reading Alaskan Missionary Spirituality (for a class this Fall), Meyendorff's book on Palamas and Palamas' sermons (ditto), and Peaceful Journey: A Hospice Chaplain's Guide to End of Life.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1436 on: August 13, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »

Commentary on Galatians by Fr. Paul Nadim Tarazi

My prof from last year!  What'd you think of that?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #1437 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »

From Publishers Weekly
In the first half of the 19th century, some three million Irish emigrated to America, trading a ruling elite of Anglo-Irish Anglicans for one of WASPs. The Irish immigrants were (self-evidently) not Anglo-Saxon; most were not Protestant; and, as far as many of the nativists were concerned, they weren't white, either. Just how, in the years surrounding the Civil War, the Irish evolved from an oppressed, unwelcome social class to become part of a white racial class is the focus of Harvard lecturer Ignatiev's well-researched, intriguing although haphazardly structured book.

Very interesting little book.  Provides some insight into why this fella was so ticked off all the time...

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1438 on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »

Thanks for this link.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1439 on: August 13, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »

What text do you use nowadays for intro students? I was privileged to work through an older edition of:

Intro courses are really fragmented these days I find, but you will still find the 2nd edition of the Wizard book used now and then.

How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing by Matthias Felleisen, Robert Bruce Findler, Matthew Flatt, & Shriram Krishnamurthi
Mathematical Logic by George J. Tourlakis
Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser

Those were a few of the first year books I had.  I was lucky enough to have rather theoretical professors, rather than the more applied "software engineering" (shudders) professors.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:47:57 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: