OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:07:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 381524 times) Average Rating: 5
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1350 on: May 01, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »

Spinoza: Complete Works

Paul Kurtz's Affirmations: Joyful And Creative Exuberance
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:18:45 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1351 on: May 01, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »

Finished Marcus Luttrell's "Lone Survivor."  Was pretty good.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1352 on: May 01, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »

I'd like to read this book too ("Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives"). The Elder looks like such a saintly, gentle person.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1353 on: May 02, 2010, 02:38:18 AM »

People of The Lie:The Hope for Healing Human Evil
by M. Scott Peck, M.D.

Very good so far. Here are some notable passages and quotes:

"It is a strange thing: Dozens of times I have been asked by patients or acquaintances: 'Dr. Peck, why is there evil in the world?' Yet no one ever asked me in all these years: 'Why is there good in the world?' It is as if we automatically assume that this is a naturally good world that has somehow been contaminated by evil. In terms of what we know of science, however, it is actually easier to explain evil. That things decay is quite explainable in accord with the natural laws of physics. That life should evolve into more and more complex forms is not so easily understandable. That children generally lie and cheat and steal is routinely observable. The fact that they sometimes grow up to become truly honest adults is what seems the more remarkable. Laziness is more the rule than diligence. If we seriously think about it, it probably makes more sense to assume this is a naturally evil world that has somehow been mysteriously 'contaminated' by goodness, rather than the other way around. The mystery of goodness is even greater than the mystery of evil."

"While science needs those innovators who will champion a single new model as the most advanced understanding, the patient who seeks to be understood as wholly as possible would be well advised to seek a therapist capable of approaching the mystery of the human soul from all angles. Science has not yet, however, become exaclty broad-minded."

"In the face of such holy mystery it is best we remember to walk with the kind of care that is born both of fear and love."

"The battle to heal human evil always begins at home. And self-purification will always be our greatest weapon."

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1354 on: May 02, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »

Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet, by Bill McKibben

Since he first heralded our era of environmental collapse in 1989's The End of Nature, Bill McKibben has raised a series of eloquent alarms. In Eaarth, he leads readers to the devastatingly comprehensive conclusion that we no longer inhabit the world in which we've flourished for most of human history: we've passed the tipping point for dramatic climate change, and even if we could stop emissions yesterday, our world will keep warming, triggering more extreme storms, droughts, and other erratic catastrophes, for centuries to come. This is not just our grandchildren's problem, or our children's--we're living through the effects of climate change now, and it's time for us to get creative about our survival. McKibben pulls no punches, and swaths of this book can feel bleak, but his dry wit and pragmatic optimism refuse to yield to despair. Focusing our attention on inspiring communities of "functional independence" arising around the world, he offers galvanizing possibilities for keeping our humanity intact as the world we've known breaks down.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1355 on: May 03, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

Phaedo - Plato

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1356 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

Finishing "David Copperfield," then on to "Don Quixote."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1357 on: May 05, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »

My reading list for the day (they're all fairly short)...

The Question of Union: A Forthright Discussion of the Possibility of Union of the Eastern Orthodox Church and Roman Catholicism, by Constantine Cavarnos
Orthodox Christianity and the Spirit of Contemporary Ecumenism, by Fr. Daniel Degyansky
The Road to Apostasy: Significant Essays on Ecumenism, by Bp. Photii of Triaditza

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #1358 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »

Just finsihed reading the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
DeathToTheWorld

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1359 on: May 06, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »

I was just reading the LXX Apostolic Bible, being mesmerized by the difference of the translation of the Proverbs.

If you wish, you can check it out and download it.

http://www.apostolicbible.com/

I don't even know too much about it. If anybody could tell me what they think about the Apostolic Bible, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Old Testament Apostolic Bible seems to me to be a much more accurate translation than the KJV.

I was reading Eternal Mysteries Beyond the Grave earlier.

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #1360 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »

I found this helpful rule on this website: http://www.hesychasm.ru/en/library.htm

St Theophan the Recluse - The Path to Salvation

Here is a rule for reading:

Before reading you should empty your soul of everything.

Arouse the desire to know about what is being read.

Turn prayerfully to God.

Follow what you are reading with attention and place everything in your open heart.

If something did not reach the heart, stay with it until it reaches.

You should of course read quite slowly.

Stop reading when the soul no longer wants to nourish itself with reading. That means it is full. If the soul finds one passage utterly stunning, stop there and read no more.

The best time for reading the Word of God is in the morning, Lives of saints after the mid-day meal, and Holy Fathers before going to sleep. Thus you can take up a little bit each day.

During such occupations, you should continually keep in mind the main goal — impressing the truth on yourself and awakening the spirit. If reading or discourse does not bring this about, then they are but idle itchings of the tongue and ears, or empty discussion. If it is done with intelligence, then the truths impress themselves and rouse the spirit, and one thing aids the other. But if the reading or discourse digresses from the proper image, then there is neither one nor the other — truth is stuffed into the head like sand, and the spirit becomes cold and hard, smokes over and puffs up.

Impressing the spirit is not the same as searching for it. This requires only that you clarify what the truth is, and hold it in your mind until they bond together. Let there be no deductions or limitations — only the face of truth.

The easiest method for this could lawfully be considered the following: the whole truth is in the catechesis. Every morning take the truth from it and clarify it to yourself, carry it in your mind and nourish yourself with it for as long as it feeds the soul — a day, two days or longer. Do the same thing with another truth, and continue thus to the end. This is a method that is easy and applicable to everyone. Those who do not know how to read may ask for one truth and proceed from there.

We can see that the rule for everyone is this: impress the truth in a way that will awaken you. The methods for fulfilling this rule vary, and it is not at all possible to prescribe the same one for everyone.

Thus, reading, listening and discourse that do not impress the truth or awaken the spirit should be considered wrong, as they lead away from the truth. It is a sickness to read many books out of curiosity alone, when only the mind follows what is being read, without leading it to the heart or delighting in its flavor.

This is the science of dreaming; it is not creative, does not hasten success, but is devastating and always leads to arrogance. All your work should be limited, as we have said, to the following: clarify the truth and hold it in the mind until the heart tastes of it. The Holy Fathers put it simply: remember it, hold it in the mind, and have it always before your eyes.

100. Like a bee one should extract from each of the virtues what is most profitable. In this way, by taking a small amount from all of them, one builds up from the practice of the virtues a great honeycomb overflowing with the soul-delighting honey of wisdom.

St Gregory of Sinai
DeathToTheWorld

« Reply #1361 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »

People of The Lie:The Hope for Healing Human Evil
by M. Scott Peck, M.D.

Very good so far. Here are some notable passages and quotes:

"It is a strange thing: Dozens of times I have been asked by patients or acquaintances: 'Dr. Peck, why is there evil in the world?' Yet no one ever asked me in all these years: 'Why is there good in the world?' It is as if we automatically assume that this is a naturally good world that has somehow been contaminated by evil. In terms of what we know of science, however, it is actually easier to explain evil. That things decay is quite explainable in accord with the natural laws of physics. That life should evolve into more and more complex forms is not so easily understandable. That children generally lie and cheat and steal is routinely observable. The fact that they sometimes grow up to become truly honest adults is what seems the more remarkable. Laziness is more the rule than diligence. If we seriously think about it, it probably makes more sense to assume this is a naturally evil world that has somehow been mysteriously 'contaminated' by goodness, rather than the other way around. The mystery of goodness is even greater than the mystery of evil."

"While science needs those innovators who will champion a single new model as the most advanced understanding, the patient who seeks to be understood as wholly as possible would be well advised to seek a therapist capable of approaching the mystery of the human soul from all angles. Science has not yet, however, become exaclty broad-minded."

"In the face of such holy mystery it is best we remember to walk with the kind of care that is born both of fear and love."

"The battle to heal human evil always begins at home. And self-purification will always be our greatest weapon."

Selam

They are very creative paragraphs, but I don't agree with some of those statements.

It sounds like a scientist or a philosopher trying to explain what evil is.

But the world is not evil, an evil will is evil. The world is corrupted, but Christ has renewed everything by His Blood.

Humans are created good, men are not evil by nature. Everything is very good. Every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused if it is eaten with Faith in Jesus Christ, as the Apostle says.

It is the environment created by the evil will of evil minded men that make the world evil.

Sure death makes it evil, but Christ has defeated death.

Sin does not even exist, it is given existence when we bring the evil passions into action. Evil is like a shadow. It is like the absence of light. That is how the Fathers explained it.

Was it not Adam and Eve, our first parents the one's who tried to convince God that they were not at fault when they disobeyed a direct commandment of God?

Eve said to God to try to justify her sinfulness, ''The Serpent deceived me''

And Adam likewise, ''The woman whom YOU gave to be with me, gave me of the tree and I ate''

They wanted to blame God and other things for their own sin and disobedience.

What a miserable mistake!

Poor wretches!

That's what I learned from the Fathers, mainly St Dorotheos of Gaza - Practical Teachings on the Christian Life

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:19:25 AM by DeathToTheWorld » Logged

St Gregory of Sinai
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #1362 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »

I picked up a book at a used book store yesterday on my lunch break. "The Inner Journey, Views from the Christian Tradition"   It's appears to be a collection or articles, or writings. Only recognize a few of the contributors, Fr. Thomas Keating, Bede Griffith (I know of his writings, contraversol  Smiley  ) Fr. Alexander Schmemann, Metropolitan( Bishop, at time of the article) Kallistos Ware, Fr. Thomas Hopke, Thomas Merton.  There are many others I do not know. Anyone else read this book? There isn't much used books on Orthodoxy at the used stores I visit, this was only $4.00. Haven't started it yet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:06:15 AM by mersch » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1363 on: May 10, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »

The Struggle Against Ecumenism: The History of the True Orthodox Church of Greece From 1924 to 1994

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1364 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »

The Struggle Against Ecumenism: The History of the True Orthodox Church of Greece From 1924 to 1994

It is interesting that there is a True Orthodox Church of Greece. Who is the head of the True Orthodox Church and how does the True Orthodox Church relate to the other Orthodox Churches?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1365 on: May 10, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »

It is interesting that there is a True Orthodox Church of Greece. Who is the head of the True Orthodox Church and how does the True Orthodox Church relate to the other Orthodox Churches?

There are quite a few True/Genuine traditionalist Orthodox groups in Greece. This forum is owned by an Orthodox Christian priest who is in the group headed by Archbp. Chrysostomos II (though they have two American bishops as well). Many of the True/Genuine groups consider the new calendarists or world Orthodoxy to be without grace, and have no communion with them; and they usually don't have communion with other traditionalists either, for various reasons. Some have a softer stance, and say that there might be grace among world Orthodoxy, while Met. Cyprian's group believes that there is grace in world Orthodoxy. There are also True/Genuine Orthodox groups in Russia, America, etc.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:08:34 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #1366 on: May 12, 2010, 01:57:11 AM »

my SF lent me Eternal Mysyeries Beyond The Grave by Archimandrite Pateleimon. it's a jordanville book & its amazing.  i'm reading that & Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1367 on: May 12, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

Not very far into it, currently on the David Hume chapter.  The fact that it is selected writings from over 40 different people makes each chapter completely different and quite interesting to go through.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1368 on: May 12, 2010, 03:59:03 AM »

The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

Not very far into it, currently on the David Hume chapter.  The fact that it is selected writings from over 40 different people makes each chapter completely different and quite interesting to go through.

So I take it you'd recommend it (so far)?  angel I've read a couple books like that, with one that I enjoyed (Atheism: A Reader) and one that I didn't like (Critiques of God: Making the Case Against Belief in God).

EDIT--Just thought I'd mention, my favorite atheist book was Western Atheism: A Short History. I wish I could find an entire book on atheism/agnosticism in ancient times.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:02:06 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1369 on: May 12, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »

So I take it you'd recommend it (so far)?  angel I've read a couple books like that, with one that I enjoyed (Atheism: A Reader) and one that I didn't like (Critiques of God: Making the Case Against Belief in God).

I'd definitely recommend it so far.  I have already read a bunch of the pieces that are included in some of the chapters latter on (mainly Shelley, Twain, Freud, Einstein, Russell, Sagan, Dennett, Dawkins, Rushdie, etc.) and am happy to see certain names and pieces pop up.  I'd say it is a good deal better than Atheism: A Reader (especially Joshi's intro vs. Hitchens), and leagues ahead of Critiques of God.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1370 on: May 12, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »

Sidetracked from David Copperfield and Don Quixote by Henryk Sienkiewicz's "With Fire and Sword," translated by W.S. Kuniczak. The Kuniczak translation of the Sienkiewicz trilogy appears to be sadly out of print. This is a travesty.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1371 on: May 12, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »

Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascals Pensees  - Peter Kreeft

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1372 on: May 14, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »

EDIT--Just thought I'd mention, my favorite atheist book was Western Atheism: A Short History. I wish I could find an entire book on atheism/agnosticism in ancient times.

You might want to check out Drachmann's Atheism in Pagan Antiquity.  You can download a copy here:  http://manybooks.net/titles/drachmanna2831228312-8.html

The PDF wasn't designed very well, so the actually body of the book doesn't start until the 10th or 11th page.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1373 on: May 14, 2010, 03:14:28 AM »

You might want to check out Drachmann's Atheism in Pagan Antiquity.  You can download a copy here:  http://manybooks.net/titles/drachmanna2831228312-8.html

The PDF wasn't designed very well, so the actually body of the book doesn't start until the 10th or 11th page.

Hey, thanks! I'll give it a look online, and maybe just buy it in book form if I see that I want to read it all (I found it on Amazon.com).  Smiley

thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1374 on: May 14, 2010, 06:25:19 AM »

Popes and Patriarchs: An Orthodox Perspective on Roman Catholic Claims - Michael Whelton
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:27:30 AM by thetraditionalfrog » Logged

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1375 on: May 18, 2010, 03:05:22 AM »

Marci McDonald's The Armageddon Factor: The Rise of Christian Nationalism in Canada

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1376 on: May 18, 2010, 03:22:20 AM »

The Tao of Wu, by the RZA

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1377 on: May 18, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »

I am reading St Seraphim of Sarov A Spiritual Biography by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore, and also am reading Don Quixote.

Big Smile!  I read Don Quixote in the 10th grade and purchased an album of a stage performance and drove my family crazy...

I've read the Biography by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore before and have been reading it in parts again happenstancedly during this Pascha.

John

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1378 on: May 18, 2010, 03:01:36 PM »

Beginning to Pray by Metropolitan ANTHONY.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
soufliotiki

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #1379 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

I am reading "The Herald Sun" by some Masonic-Judaic printing press ... its great light reading and some times a bit dramatic.

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
StJohn978
Moderated

« Reply #1380 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »

Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1381 on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:02 AM »

Dr. Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1382 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:43 AM »

Dr. Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space
I forgot to mention that I would really recommend this book (and the series) to anyone who is a fan of hard science fiction and the Mass Effect video game series.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1383 on: June 16, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »

Star Wars: Dark Force Rising - Timothy Zahn

mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #1384 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »

Bonobo Handshake by Vanessa Woods. How she ended up working with the Bonobo chimps, and the situation in the Congo. Reminds me that what I complain about here in America is not that bad compared with the war that went on(is still on) in that country and what people still go through,( regardless of their religious affiliation, or lack of) in this day and age. 
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1385 on: June 17, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

Right and Reasn: Ethics in Theory an Practice Based on teh Teachings of Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas - Fr. Austin Fagothey, S.J.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #1386 on: June 17, 2010, 07:32:16 PM »

John McGuckin's St. Cyril of Alexandria and the Christological Controversy.
Fr. John Meyendorff's Living Tradition
Fr. John Meyendorff's Byzantine Theology
Fr. John Meyendorff's Christ in Eastern Christian Thought

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1387 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »

"World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler, for the second time. Highly recommend it!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1388 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »

Right and Reasn: Ethics in Theory an Practice Based on teh Teachings of Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas - Fr. Austin Fagothey, S.J.
That is a great book, depending on which edition you have. The early editions were excellent, but then I know that one  of the post Vatican II editions reflecting subjective, relativistic, and existentialist ethics was not so good. Then after that, I think there was an improvement. Which edition (or year) are you recommending?
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #1389 on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »

I'm finally reading this:

Free Choice in Saint Maximus the Confessor

It's out of print and so I had to go to kinkos! But yeah, it's an awesome book! I'm gonna have to read it 3 or 4 times in order to really understand it all.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1390 on: June 23, 2010, 03:47:39 AM »

Broke, USA by Gary Rivlin
http://www.amazon.com/Broke-USA-Pawnshops-Poverty-Business/dp/0061733210/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277279198&sr=8-1

Proverbs 22:7
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #1391 on: June 23, 2010, 12:21:34 PM »

Reading The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios now. It is really good. I've gotten though about a third of it.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1392 on: July 07, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »

Prof. Paul Bloom's How Pleasure Works: The New Science of Why We Like What We Like

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #1393 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

I'm finally reading this:

Free Choice in Saint Maximus the Confessor

It's out of print and so I had to go to kinkos! But yeah, it's an awesome book! I'm gonna have to read it 3 or 4 times in order to really understand it all.

ICXC NIKA

Looks like a good one. I saw it on Amazon.com recently.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1394 on: July 07, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »

Two books on Lyme Disease for a paper for class.  I can now rattle off Borrelia Burgdorferi at the drop of a hat.  But class is done now so I can read other things    Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:27:56 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: