OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is everyone reading?  (Read 360046 times) Average Rating: 5
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1215 on: February 09, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »

I'm due for my annual re-reading of the Harry Potter series. Probably do that as soon as I've had my fill of Vampires. I'm looking forward to the last HP book coming to the big screen.   Smiley

By chance, vampires... that sparkle?  Grin
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1216 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

I'm due for my annual re-reading of the Harry Potter series. Probably do that as soon as I've had my fill of Vampires. I'm looking forward to the last HP book coming to the big screen.   Smiley

By chance, vampires... that sparkle?  Grin

At the moment, any vampires will do, but the sparkly ones are high on the list of favourites! In recent months, I've read the Twilight series twice, the Sookie Stackhouse series, working my way through the Vampire Diaries, the Anita Blake Series and Cirque du Freak. I think I've seen every vampire film they had at the local video rental place, too and watched the TV versions of the Stackhouse books True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. All started with re-reading Dracula last year and mentioning it to a friend who recommended the Stackhouse books. I didn't realise there were so many Vampire books and series available! I'm having a great time! laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1217 on: February 09, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

Aside from my vampire reading, I've been enjoying as the mood takes me, anything by Dianna Wynne Jones, Fire and Hemlock being the latest. Also reading intermittently Thank God for Evolution, The Illness and Cure of the Soul in the Orthodox Tradition, Light from the East: Theology, Science and the Eastern Orthodox Tradition

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1218 on: February 09, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »

Ahh, ok Smiley Mary seemed to like vampire-esque books as well. I never could get into them myself, but then I was never a big fiction reader. And the only vampire-themed movies that I watched were the low budget campy horror/comedies kind, such as Once Bitten and Fright Night.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1219 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »

Ahh, ok Smiley Mary seemed to like vampire-esque books as well. I never could get into them myself, but then I was never a big fiction reader. And the only vampire-themed movies that I watched were the low budget campy horror/comedies kind, such as Once Bitten and Fright Night.

I haven't seen either of those films; I suppose because of an unconscious preference to keep comedy and horror separate. Anything Vampiric should be, for the main, serious stuff!  Wink

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1220 on: February 10, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »

I....would not read anything having to do with vampires, ghosts, harry potter, etc. I think that stuff attracts too much negative energy, I'm in fact getting rid of some books on ghost stories I have soon enough. I read that many of the names used in Harry Potter are the names of demons by the way. Why would you want to call on demons? That book is a practical guide on conducting witchcraft (Harry potter is).

Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver.

Acts 19:19

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1221 on: February 10, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

I....would not read anything having to do with vampires, ghosts, harry potter, etc. I think that stuff attracts too much negative energy, I'm in fact getting rid of some books on ghost stories I have soon enough. I read that many of the names used in Harry Potter are the names of demons by the way. Why would you want to call on demons? That book is a practical guide on conducting witchcraft (Harry potter is).

Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver.

Acts 19:19
That's utterly riddikulus.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1222 on: February 10, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »

St. Anthony's says beware!

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1223 on: February 10, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »

This forum, if nothing else, is always good for a good chuckle.  laugh

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1224 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1225 on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

If St Anthony's are in the habit of putting out that kind of rubbish, perhaps people should beware St Anthony's. Wink

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1226 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »

Yeah. The funniest part? The kids don't read Harry Potter anymore. I haven't seen any of my students reading them since Twilight was released.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:51:18 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1227 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

If St Anthony's are in the habit of putting out that kind of rubbish, perhaps people should beware St Anthony's. Wink

No, don't be discouraged.  Their other publications are really wonderful.  I especially recommend Counsels from the Holy Mountain:

Selected from the letters and homilies of Elder Ephraim
and Monastic Wisdom: The Letters of Elder Joseph the Hesychast.  The hardcover editions are gorgeous, and both are around $20.00 apiece.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1228 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

Yeah. The funniest part? The kids don't read Harry Potter anymore. I haven't seen any of my students reading them since Twilight was released.

That's because the fad is over, just like every other one.  If you really hate something that much in pop culture, all you have to do is wait it out.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #1229 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »

That's because the fad is over, just like every other one.  If you really hate something that much in pop culture, all you have to do is wait it out.
Absolutely true.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1230 on: February 10, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »

My younger granddaughter has just discovered Twilight. When I was reading the books last year, she was good-naturedly mocking me for enjoying them so much. She had succumbed to the negativity of some internet friends about the books; a little disappointing because I have always encouraged my offspring and their offspring to think for themselves. Wink Anyway, I only had to wait until a neigbourhood girl asked her to go to see New Moon with her during the holidays. As granddaughter hadn't seen the first film, she spent the afternoon over at the girl's house watching Twilight and then trundled off to the pictures with her friend. She came back home completely excited, wanting to borrow the books from me and wondering why she hadn't done so in the first place. Nannas rule! laugh

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1231 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:05 AM »

Just started:

Early Christian Lives

"These pioneering Lives are central sources for the major Christian monastic figures from St Antony, who died in 356, to St Benedict (c. 480-547). They also shed light on the beliefs and values of their celebrated authors. Athanasius' Life of Antony reveals the man who many believe was the first to set out into the Egyptian desert to pursue the path of poverty, abstinence and solitary prayer. St Jerome fought for the cause of chastity and asceticism in writing about Paul of Thebes, Hilarion and Malchus, while in his Life of Martin Sulpicius Severus described the achievements of a man who combined the roles of monk, bishop and missionary. Almost two hundred years later, Pope Gregory the Great in his Dialogues focused above all on St Benedict, whose Rule became the template for every subsequent form of monasticism. Full of vivid incidents and astonishing miracles, all these works proved hugely popular and influential and also inspired much of the visual imagery of the Middle Ages."

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780140435269,00.html?Early_Christian_Lives_Carolinne_White#
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1232 on: February 11, 2010, 06:22:48 PM »

Just started:

Early Christian Lives

"These pioneering Lives are central sources for the major Christian monastic figures from St Antony, who died in 356, to St Benedict (c. 480-547). They also shed light on the beliefs and values of their celebrated authors. Athanasius' Life of Antony reveals the man who many believe was the first to set out into the Egyptian desert to pursue the path of poverty, abstinence and solitary prayer. St Jerome fought for the cause of chastity and asceticism in writing about Paul of Thebes, Hilarion and Malchus, while in his Life of Martin Sulpicius Severus described the achievements of a man who combined the roles of monk, bishop and missionary. Almost two hundred years later, Pope Gregory the Great in his Dialogues focused above all on St Benedict, whose Rule became the template for every subsequent form of monasticism. Full of vivid incidents and astonishing miracles, all these works proved hugely popular and influential and also inspired much of the visual imagery of the Middle Ages."

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780140435269,00.html?Early_Christian_Lives_Carolinne_White#

I was just reading the other day in the Ethiopian Synaxarium about Abba Paul of Thebes, who may have preceded St. Anthony in fleeing the world and pursuing the ascetic life. St. Anthony thought he was the first until Our Lord revealed to him that Abba Paul was already living in the desert. It also talks about their relationship with St. Athanasius. Fascinating. You can read about it here, beginning with the second paragraph: http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/Synaxarium/Yekatit_02.htm

Selam
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:23:18 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1233 on: February 11, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »

How do we know it's rubbish?  I haven't read it and I don't know anyone else who has read it.  Is it rubbish if it poo poo's something we like?  I guess that would explain all the Bible's collecting dust.  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:56:46 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1234 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »

How do we know it's rubbish?  I haven't read it and I don't know anyone else who has read it.  Is it rubbish if it poo poo's something we like?  I guess that would explain all the Bible's collecting dust.  Undecided
http://www.philokalia.org/PDF/potter.pdf

Believe me, it is rubbish of the highest order.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1235 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »

How do we know it's rubbish?  I haven't read it and I don't know anyone else who has read it.  Is it rubbish if it poo poo's something we like?  I guess that would explain all the Bible's collecting dust.  Undecided

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  All I know is that an overwhelming amount of folks I know who read HP and the Twilight series don't go to church, don't believe in church and don't believe in the devil.  Read what you want, but If you lay down with dogs, you get up with flees.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1236 on: February 11, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »

How do we know it's rubbish?  I haven't read it and I don't know anyone else who has read it.  Is it rubbish if it poo poo's something we like?  I guess that would explain all the Bible's collecting dust.  Undecided

I've read it and written a refutation which I intended to blog before moving countries. It's not even good rubbish where one could admire scholarly research which simply comes to an incorrect conclusion. It's inaccurate, untruthful and it makes unfounded claims against the author.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1237 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

It's inaccurate, untruthful and it makes unfounded claims against the author.

But as far as I know, you're making unfounded claims against this book by St. Anthony's.  Undecided

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #1238 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »

The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1239 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  All I know is that an overwhelming amount of folks I know who read HP and the Twilight series don't go to church, don't believe in church and don't believe in the devil.  Read what you want, but If you lay down with dogs, you get up with flees.  Smiley

An overwhelming amount of people I know who breathe a nitrogen/oxygen blend and drink water 'don't go to church, don't believe in church and don't believe in the devil'.  Wink

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1240 on: February 11, 2010, 07:33:49 PM »

But as far as I know, you're making unfounded claims against this book by St. Anthony's.  Undecided

Well, fortunately, I know different. Wink And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:36:13 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #1241 on: February 11, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »

With the start of Cheesefare week I started:

'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

This will be my Great Lent book ... it is certainly large enough for me to work through his biography and get to his works in time for the more serious end of the Great Fast.

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1242 on: February 11, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »

All I know is that all the people I know who read the HP books and the Twilight series do go to Church, do believe in God and church, and do believe in the devil. All of them are committed Christians as is Harry Potter's author. Read what you want, but if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Perhaps we should warn the folks that you know. Wink

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1243 on: February 11, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »

With the start of Cheesefare week I started:

'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

This will be my Great Lent book ... it is certainly large enough for me to work through his biography and get to his works in time for the more serious end of the Great Fast.

A wonderful book! There are some dry spots along the way, but the majority of it is absolutely edifying.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
soufliotiki

« Reply #1244 on: February 11, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

With the start of Cheesefare week I started: 'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

A wonderful book! There are some dry spots along the way, but the majority of it is absolutely edifying.
Selam

Thanks Selam, so far I am finding it awesome ... what parts did you find dry? Personally, I am finding the exposition into his early life and thoughts extremally enlightening ... there is an element of regret inside me that my own life has not taken into account so many other people and cultures around me ... having lived in a sheltered and protected culture my knowledge of other people has been limited.

It is only now that I am finding out about God's Creation ... Fr Seraphim's journey shows me into the hearts of people who are foreign to me ... it is almost awakening a desire in me to meet people other than those who I have known for the last 34 years. His progression through philosophy, Hinduism, Buddhism and all the other oriental mystical religions is inspiring! He learnt an entire language (Chinese) so as to understand the culture better!

What was your favourite part of the book (bare in mind I am only up to Chapter 10 and my rule is one chapter a day during my afternoon coffee hour) ... ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:53:02 PM by soufliotiki » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1245 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »

A wonderful book!

I agree. So now you can't say that I never agreed with you on something.  Cool
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1246 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »

But as far as I know, you're making unfounded claims against this book by St. Anthony's.  Undecided

Well, fortunately, I know different. Wink
But I don't, so you'll have to forgive me for not accepting your criticism.

And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?
Nebelpfade did us a courtesy by providing us with a link to the book so that we could see for ourselves.  Maybe you didn't know about such a link and that's one thing.  But it's obvious that you really enjoy the HP and Twilight books.  Fine by me, seriously.  I get upset if someone attacks my interests as well.  But, all you've done is allude to some mysterious inside knowledge the rest of us don't have by saying, "I know different."  OK, that's cool.  I just wanted you to share it with the rest of us as well.  I don't think that's asking too much.  But I will say this; when it comes to having an intimate knowledge of what is and isn't dangerous to our souls, I listen to everyone but come down on the side of our monastics.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:00:13 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1247 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »

Well, fortunately, I know different. Wink
But I don't, so you'll have to forgive me for not accepting your criticism.

And why not take it up with Nebelpfade, too, who claims it's rubbish of the highest order? Isn't he making (as far as you know) unfounded claims against this book by St Anthony's - and asking you to believe him? Why make an issue with me?
Nebelpfade did us a courtesy by providing us with a link to the book so that we could see for ourselves.  Maybe you didn't know about such a link and that's one thing.  But it's obvious that you really enjoy the HP and Twilight books.  Fine by me, seriously.  I get upset if someone attacks my interests as well.  But, all you've done is allude to some mysterious inside knowledge the rest of us don't have by saying, "I know different."  OK, that's cool.  I just wanted you to share it with the rest of us as well.  I don't think that's asking too much.  But I will say this; when it comes to having an intimate knowledge of what is and isn't dangerous to our souls, I listen to everyone but come down on the side of our monastics.  

I don't have any mysterious inside knowledge at all; merely knowledge of the HP books and knowledge that what the St Anthony's booklet says is rubbish of the highest order. (I had actually forgotten about the link to the booklet) And why would you assume that I'm "upset by anyone attacking my interests"? What have emotions to do with this? What I am commenting on is poor scholarship which amounts to nothing more than puerile rubbish out of ignorance or avoidance of the facts. I'm sure that you realise that there is a big difference between having knowledge of something and disagreeing with it and having no knowledge of something and using monastery status to convince people to agree with a biased position. If you wish to believe that all information provided by monastics is of merit, that is of course your prerogative. But I know piffle when I see it.

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1248 on: February 11, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »

piffle
I'm definitely going to have to use that word more often.  laugh

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1249 on: February 11, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »

piffle
I'm definitely going to have to use that word more often.  laugh

I'm annoyed that at the time of writing I didn't think of "codswallop", but "piffle" also conveys the right sentiment.  laugh

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1250 on: February 11, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »

oops
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:12:49 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1251 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »

Andrew L. Bender's Slipstring Drive:  String Theory, Gravity, and "Faster Than Light" Travel

Truly a terrible read so far.   Tongue
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:25:43 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1252 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:33 AM »

A wonderful book!
I agree. So now you can't say that I never agreed with you on something.  Cool

I also agree.  I read this last summer.  The length didn't matter.  The entire thing was really inspiring to read.  A truly holy man.  I ask for his prayers nightly!
soufliotiki

« Reply #1253 on: February 12, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »

I also agree.  I read this last summer.  The length didn't matter.  The entire thing was really inspiring to read.  A truly holy man.  I ask for his prayers nightly!

I have only progressed through the first ten chapters but the way he thought during his youth reminds me so much of myself ... though, I never explored Buddhism or Taoism etc, I mean I totally relate to his reclusiveness and feeling "apart" from the rest of the world.

Anyway, a great read and a recommendation from me (even though I havent even started it quite yet)

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1254 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:04 AM »

I believe Harry Potter is Satanic (and can prove it) but that book by St.Anthony's left much to be desired.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #1255 on: February 12, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »

With the start of Cheesefare week I started: 'Father Seraphim Rose, His Life and Works', Hieromonk Damascene.

Selam

Thanks Selam, so far I am finding it awesome ... what parts did you find dry? Personally, I am finding the exposition into his early life and thoughts extremally enlightening ... there is an element of regret inside me that my own life has not taken into account so many other people and cultures around me ... having lived in a sheltered and protected culture my knowledge of other people has been limited.

It is only now that I am finding out about God's Creation ... Fr Seraphim's journey shows me into the hearts of people who are foreign to me ... it is almost awakening a desire in me to meet people other than those who I have known for the last 34 years. His progression through philosophy, Hinduism, Buddhism and all the other oriental mystical religions is inspiring! He learnt an entire language (Chinese) so as to understand the culture better!

What was your favourite part of the book (bare in mind I am only up to Chapter 10 and my rule is one chapter a day during my afternoon coffee hour) ... ?

I guess I shouldn't say that parts of it are "dry." That is disrespectful. Everything in the book has value and is included because of something it has to teach us about Father Rose and his great example. I really loved the first part of the book, because I like reading about people's spiritual journeys and their philosophical development. But I guess I found some of the sections devoted to the peripheral figures in Father Rose's life a bit distracting. I wanted to keep reading about his own experiences and his own views. But it is his biography, and thus it is absolutely necessary to discuss the influential people in his life. I apologize for saying parts of it were dry.

I really like the section on Genesis, Creation, and Early Man. Father Rose was way ahead of his time and very prophetic in his analysis and critique of the philosophy of evolutionary theory (although some others here will probably disagree).

Selam  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:07:06 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1256 on: February 12, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »

I really like the section on Genesis, Creation, and Early Man. Father Rose was way ahead of his time and very prophetic in his analysis and critique of the philosophy of evolutionary theory (although some others here will probably disagree).

You think? Wink
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:31:54 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1257 on: February 12, 2010, 02:32:32 AM »

(although some others here will probably disagree).

Greatly.  laugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1258 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:41 AM »

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1259 on: February 12, 2010, 02:36:44 AM »

Oh, he's dead serious.
Tags: book reading 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: