OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 11:56:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 60036 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« Reply #1575 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »

Been watching the following on Netflix...

Portlandia... a gold mine of hilarious sketch comedy!

I love Portlandia. My dad hates it and thinks it is retarded. And Carrie Brownstien is such a hottie. She makes the perfect hipster, too. Her music is pretty good, too. She's a musican. YouTube it.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #1576 on: July 14, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »

Been watching the following on Netflix...

Portlandia... a gold mine of hilarious sketch comedy!

And Carrie Brownstien is such a hottie. She makes the perfect hipster, too. Her music is pretty good, too. She's a musican. YouTube it.

I looked her up a few days ago when I first got into the show. She is definitely both hip and cute.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #1577 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »

Anyone into

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1578 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »

Never heard of it but ========================================================^  she is cute.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:47:48 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1579 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Never heard of it but ========================================================^  she is cute.

Season finale was last night for season 1. It was only 8 Episodes because first season. Yeah, pretty much all the doctors are cute. I think my favourite is:

You have to love those Latina women. One thing I like in a woman is prominent cheekbones, something you are sure to find in Latin women.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1580 on: July 17, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »

After you work in a hospital, hospital shows are pretty lame.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1581 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:53 AM »

Deadliest Catch on netflix. Every episode is pretty much the same though....

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #1582 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »

Tonight I'll watch Welcome To Sweden on NBC.  The pilot was last week. It's a nice change from all the dark dreary crime shows.   It is in both Swedish and English, with subtitles at times.   

http://www.nbc.com/welcome-to-sweden
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1583 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »

The Hunt on History Channel which shows people hunting Kodiak Brown Bears in Alaska. Very interesting show. I wonder what the meat from those beasts taste like.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1584 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »

I've wanted to ask my neurologist, who works at the hospital, what he thinks of hospital shows. Same with lawyers. Law and Order is pretty fetched, especially the sequels, but The Good Wife seems to be less simplistic.

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1585 on: July 17, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »

The Hunt on History Channel which shows people hunting Kodiak Brown Bears in Alaska. Very interesting show. I wonder what the meat from those beasts taste like.

I love those bear hunting shows, JamesR. I wonder what bear meat tastes like, too. I figure it has to be at least decent. It would be a good way to live, food wise, since you could survive half a year or more on a whole bear--a family could! I want to start hunting. It would be a much less expensive way to get duck and goose.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1586 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »

Canadian football.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1587 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »

I've wanted to ask my neurologist, who works at the hospital, what he thinks of hospital shows. Same with lawyers. Law and Order is pretty fetched, especially the sequels, but The Good Wife seems to be less simplistic.

I know that Grey's Anatomy was very popular with the gossipy nurses and techs for a while.  Everyone wants to pretend their life is exciting.  I'm reminded of my sister-in-law who was married to a soldier.  She loved Army Wives and wanted to create more drama in her life, which she didn't need.  I could watch a few episodes of Scrubs, but after a while, it's all the same.  It'd be like me trying to watch a drama show about computer server techs/customer service.  No, thanks.

I'd be interested in knowing what your neurologist thinks or if he even has time for TV shows.

I also was an EMT and all the firefighter/paramedic shows (Chicago Fire or Rescue Me comes to mind), boring.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:18:58 AM by hecma925 » Logged

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1588 on: July 18, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »

I know that Grey's Anatomy was very popular with the gossipy nurses and techs for a while.  Everyone wants to pretend their life is exciting.  I'm reminded of my sister-in-law who was married to a soldier.  She loved Army Wives and wanted to create more drama in her life, which she didn't need.  I could watch a few episodes of Scrubs, but after a while, it's all the same.  It'd be like me trying to watch a drama show about computer server techs/customer service.  No, thanks.

I'd be interested in knowing what your neurologist thinks or if he even has time for TV shows.

I also was an EMT and all the firefighter/paramedic shows (Chicago Fire or Rescue Me comes to mind), boring.
I work in the legal field and I find shows about lawyers to be great, mostly because just about everything they do and say would never actually happen in real life. I imagine it is the same about shows about other professions.

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1589 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »

Not sure I will ask him. I was thinking of my old one, who was younger and had a better bedside manner. This one is older, likely more experienced and everything but he's much less personal and nerdy. My old one was very interested in my interest in religion and Orthodoxy because he was really interested in the case of Fydor Dostoyevsky's epilepsy because of the writer's deep faith and interesting episodes during seizures. I think he might have wondered if my right brain domination might help determine the focal point of my seizures. They've tried to determine Dostoyevsky's focal point though it is all speculation for nerdy med students and so forth who want to write papers on the matter. So the conversation was much less formal, which is better I think. Still professional. This one I doubt I'll ask. I never got into Grey's Anatomy. My sister and mom were big into it. I am just glad they spelled Grey the right way. "House" was fun. I think everyone could like that one.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1590 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:48 PM »

'Cops.'

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1591 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:06 PM »

I've been watching House for about three weeks now, and I'm a few episodes into Season 5. I was a bit annoyed after Cameron, Chase and to a lesser extent Foreman got written mostly out of the show... but the three new doctors have slowly grown on me. I got a book about "House and Philosophy" from the library, which has been somewhat ok. There have been a couple fairly interesting chapters, but also a few that were written by philosophy professors yet seem like they were written by an average undergrad psych or premed major who is struggling to do a paper for a moral philosophy course. I have generally avoided the "X and Philosophy" type books, and having read this one is probably going to reinforce that tendency.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:47:34 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1592 on: July 18, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »

House was okay.  Every episode is practically the same.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1593 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

'Cops.'

Every episode is practically the same.  Wink

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1594 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »

'Cops.'

Drunks having a fight, crackheads flooring it on the highway, people who run and *always* get caught... It's like a never-ending pinball game!  Smiley

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1595 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »

Just finished watching the second season of Vikings. What a great show. It is on the History Channel, so clearly it isn't going to be historically accurate, but the action is quite entertaining.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1596 on: July 18, 2014, 10:36:09 PM »

'Cops.'

But people only act like real people in Cops. Or, you can file this under "One thing I don't like about House/Bones/etc." Tongue In regular TV shows the lawyer/doctor/detective/etc. usually has absurdly flimsy evidence for their conclusions, yet people fold in seconds because the episode is nearly over the hero must always triumph. On Cops you see what usually happens: they can have DNA evidence, 14 witnesses, including the suspect's own brother, and video camera footage from 3 separate places, all proving that someone is guilty, and yet they'll still be saying that it must be some mistake and that they weren't even in that area.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1597 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:22 PM »

'Cops.'

But people only act like real people in Cops. Or, you can file this under "One thing I don't like about House/Bones/etc." Tongue In regular TV shows the lawyer/doctor/detective/etc. usually has absurdly flimsy evidence for their conclusions, yet people fold in seconds because the episode is nearly over the hero must always triumph. On Cops you see what usually happens: they can have DNA evidence, 14 witnesses, including the suspect's own brother, and video camera footage from 3 separate places, all proving that someone is guilty, and yet they'll still be saying that it must be some mistake and that they weren't even in that area.

Better one is Forensic Files. Or to watch interrogation "The First 48". I feel like banging my head against a wall watching them on Law and Order do things that would get them fired among other things. And NCIS the suspect asks for a criminal and you have a sexy Ziva or angry Gibbs telling them why they do not need a lawyer and threatening them. When they ask for a lawyer on "The First 48" the questioning stops because they know what happens if it doesn't when they go before the judge. But Forensic Files shows how hard it is to get an arrest warrant for a suspect. They have to tail the person often, try to get a warrant for their DNA or obtain it by getting it when they throw away a straw in a public place or something. Often the case is strong, but only after a lot of work. They usually go through one or two suspects.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1598 on: July 19, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

I kid, "Cops" is fun when there's nothing on TV, especially when I can say, "Hey, I've lived there!"

"First 48" is good too.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1599 on: July 19, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »

I kid, "Cops" is fun when there's nothing on TV, especially when I can say, "Hey, I've lived there!"

"First 48" is good too.

Every time I see a 'Cops' episode from some city in which I've lived, I have to smile. Smiley (Never been arrested, I just like to see stuff I know on TV.)

'The First 48' is really good, too. I find some parts hard to watch, like when they first tell the family of the person who died, and everyone just mills around in shock in front of the house.

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1600 on: July 20, 2014, 01:32:58 AM »

I like when they do the First 48 in Louisville, KY. I'm like "That's us!" They do quite a few in Louisville.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:34:11 AM by wainscottbl » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1601 on: July 20, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »

Watching Everybody Loves Raymond.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1602 on: July 20, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »

What a heavy penance Sad What did you do to deserve it?
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #1603 on: July 20, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »

Ha! I don't care for that show either. Anyway, I am watching

Mom got me into it. On the one hand I like it obviously, but of course it has the homosexual character in it, and it's a political White House show that is The West Wing plus some. And it really makes a caricature of a religiously conservative politician while glorifying the moderate, pro-immigration Republican president. It's also glorifies a woman playing god more or less because she will always do good in the end, even if she has to do a little harm first. Somehow, I like it. It actually makes the White House look virtuous though because it glorifies it and the sins are far too venial compared to the real sins on the west wing.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1604 on: July 21, 2014, 07:29:30 AM »

Ha! I don't care for that show either.

I'm watching Everybody Loves Raymond (got back to it recently after a long break from it -- I probably mentioned it several months ago in the "Sit-coms" thread) although it's not exactly one of my all-time favorite shows.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1605 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »

Old Doctor Who episodes on Horror. The boys in the family are happy as clams, while I've already had way more Troughton and Pertwee than I needed in a lifetime.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #1606 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »

Old Doctor Who episodes on Horror. The boys in the family are happy as clams, while I've already had way more Troughton and Pertwee than I needed in a lifetime.

Yay!

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1607 on: Today at 01:14:54 PM »

I watched another episode of The Last Ship on Sunday.. Apparently I had missed the one the week before...

It didnt matter

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1608 on: Today at 03:00:59 PM »

I watched another episode of The Last Ship on Sunday.. Apparently I had missed the one the week before...

It didnt matter

Yeah, I've given up on it, too.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1609 on: Today at 03:34:15 PM »

It didnt matter

Yeah, I've given up on it, too.

I'm hanging in there.. It does clear the room of people with good taste...Not me ! I'm simple

Ship big

Go fast in water

Artillery go boom

Bad guys die easy

Die bad guys die !

Doctor pretty

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: