Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 323425 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #2925 on: July 13, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
Wise Blood

Nahm gunna tell you I ain't no preacha

Love the book. How is the movie?

Selam
It's one of those 70s films you play in the background on a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon while you do house chores.

It was alright, I'm sure the book is better though.

I don't know what movies you like Gebre to give you a recommendation.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it though. If you can catch it on AMC or TCM or some movie channel.

Thanks brother.

I'm more into character driven dramas. I also like good suspense/thrillers. I pretty much hate action movies and sci-fi.

Selam
"If we are wiser than children, then we are fools."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2926 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam
It's one of those 70s films you play in the background on a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon while you do house chores.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it though. If you can catch it on AMC or TCM or some movie channel.

Thanks brother.

I'm more into character driven dramas. I also like good suspense/thrillers. I pretty much hate action movies and sci-fi.

Selam

I think we need to qualify sci-fi. I think there is really good sci-fi that makes you think, that has great ideas within them but usually these aren't action sci-fi (or it can be like Minority Report that has very interesting ideas and raises interesting ethical/moral questions but unfortunately doesn't flesh that out well enough and you're left with another action movie in the second half.)

Then you have the sci-fi that's your brainless aliens, blowing stuff up, dystopian, action schlocky kind of stuff.

Sci-fi can be a mixed bag, but I think the best ones explore what it means to be human and our relationship to technology, power, science, etc.

I'm with you on the character driven stuff and suspense/thrillers, I have to agree that's more of what I enjoy the most.

Although I still enjoy popcorn turn-off-your-brain movies like Armageddon or Raiders of the Lost Ark.
“Their throat is an open grave;
    they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”

Romans 3:13

• Merarches
« Reply #2927 on: July 13, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

I think we need to qualify sci-fi. I think there is really good sci-fi that makes you think, that has great ideas within them but usually these aren't action sci-fi (or it can be like Minority Report that has very interesting ideas and raises interesting ethical/moral questions but unfortunately doesn't flesh that out well enough and you're left with another action movie in the second half.)

Then you have the sci-fi that's your brainless aliens, blowing stuff up, dystopian, action schlocky kind of stuff.

Sci-fi can be a mixed bag, but I think the best ones explore what it means to be human and our relationship to technology, power, science, etc.

I'm with you on the character driven stuff and suspense/thrillers, I have to agree that's more of what I enjoy the most.

Although I still enjoy popcorn turn-off-your-brain movies like Armageddon or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

For example, I hated The Matrix. Everyone kept telling me it was the greatest movie ever, and I thought it sucked.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2928 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

For example, I hated The Matrix. Everyone kept telling me it was the greatest movie ever, and I thought it sucked.

Selam
I hear you on the Matrix eventhough I don't agree.

An yeah it's like people who told me the same thing regarding Magnolia. What pretentious trash.

• Merarches
« Reply #2929 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
Wise Blood

Selam

Thanks brother.

Selam

Selam
I hear you on the Matrix eventhough I don't agree.

An yeah it's like people who told me the same thing regarding Magnolia. What pretentious trash.

Have you seen Into The Wild? It's one of my favorites. Great character driven drama based on a true story.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2930 on: July 15, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
No I haven't seen that movie and I'm not really a fan of Chris McCandless.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2931 on: July 15, 2016, 02:01:06 AM »
What are some movies that you can never watch alone at night with the lights off?

My vote goes for Don't Look Now.

Offline nikolaj

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #2932 on: July 15, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
What are some movies that you can never watch alone at night with the lights off?

Studio 54

• Merarches
« Reply #2933 on: July 15, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
No I haven't seen that movie and I'm not really a fan of Chris McCandless.

A controversial figure indeed. I certainly don't endorse his worldview, but the movie really is well done and has a lot of redemptive themes throughout. Good acting, great dialogue, not over the top or overly dramatic. Very real. I liked it very much.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #2934 on: July 16, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »

Pretty sure Sinister was the movie which freaked me out the most, and I watched it with my cousin under daylight.
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2935 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:16 AM »
Have you seen Into The Wild? It's one of my favorites. Great character driven drama based on a true story.

Selam

Hear hear.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #2936 on: July 17, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »
Finding Dory was okay. I thought it would be better, but maybe I set my expectations too high, because everyone I asked told me it was good. I personally found Dory's short-term memory loss to be more annoying than humorous.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:26:27 PM by byhisgrace »
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2937 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
I saw 'Finding Dory' too. It was pretty good. :)

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
  • Brexit
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2938 on: July 17, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »
I saw 'Finding Dory' too. It was pretty good. :)

Terrible, absolutely terrible.  More evidence that Hollywood is out of good ideas.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2939 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
More evidence that Hollywood is out of good ideas.

They don't make movies like Sweet Smell of Success anymore.

Offline nothing

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2940 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Paris, Texas
Night of the Hunter

Must sees for anyone that loves good movies. These are superb.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
  • Brexit
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2941 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Finally watched Deadpool. Very entertaining if not exceedingly vulgar. Ryan Reynolds more  than made up for the disaster that was Green Lantern.