Author Topic: Are there Orthodox bands?  (Read 189 times)

Offline Doof

• Faith: used to believe in Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox, Kolkata, India
Are there Orthodox bands?
« on: May 25, 2015, 06:24:25 PM »
I'm looking for some type of Orthodox bands to listen to, something like exotic Arabic/Middle Eastern tunes (I only have a vague idea of what I'm looking for) or nice happy jazz-classical fusion like L'Arpegiatta or even rap music (only if it has a great background tune) like Gorillaz or great experimental tunes like Radiohead. I used to like these bands but realy want to listen to Orthodox musicians.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: Are there Orthodox bands?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
I used to like these bands but realy want to listen to Orthodox musicians.

No, you really don't.  ;)

Stick to liturgical music, it's much better and better for you.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • At Jacob's Well you were proved well named
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »
Secular musicians are just way better at rock and roll, sorry OP. :(

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
Holy Blood is a Ukrainian Orthodox band that does metal in a similar vein to Finland's Moonsorrow. They're actually not bad.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
exotic Arabic/Middle Eastern tunes

Fairuz, probably the most celebrated female singer in modern Arab music, happens to be Orthodox (born Syriac Orthodox, married into a Greek Orthodox family). She has a few religious albums (Christmas and Easter, I believe).

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:03:59 PM »
Look up Trey Spruance's work. His list of credits is long and the musical spectrum he covers is broad; you might well find something to like there.

If all else fails, there's always Katie Melua. And Lauryn Hill. ;)

EDIT: If you like this, go ahead and find anything by this woman you can get your hands on. You won't be disappointed. (You can start here.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:14:45 PM by Arachne »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »
This band is comprised of 3 Orthodox priests: https://luxury.bandcamp.com

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »
I'm not Orthodox yet, although would like to be once I can (life circumstances, family concerns, social anxiety and transportation issues are what is primarily standing in my way right now).

I do like to write and record my own songs. Some of the lyrics that I'm working on at the moment do have religious themes (for example, I'm working on a Christmas composition based on this, and another piece about Prester John). Others are autobiographical or deal with social issues, current events, action-adventure or sci-fi themes. Most of my songs are fairly avant-garde, eclectic and long (like this), but not, I hope, to the extent that ordinary people would be unable to appreciate them. I don't want to come across as some kind of snob, but I don't want to just pander by writing formulaic pop songs either. There has to be some kind of balance.

I don't want to be seen as a "Christian artist" or an "Orthodox artist", though. There are a lot critiques of that whole concept that have been made lately, that I agree with. I just want to be an artist, who does what artists are supposed to do.

I'm finding that my inquiry into Orthodoxy has changed my writing style too. I'm finding myself becoming more deliberate and methodical, and not just rashly rushing in to write and record something. I pay more attention to detail and quality now. And I'm focusing more on dynamic range and subtlety, and including more classical influences.

I have no particular desire to perform live and I don't think I'd adapt well to that lifestyle, nor am I doing it for the money. I do it more as a hobby, and as a therapeutic endeavor (it helps me get my bottled-up feelings out). Fortunately, modern technology makes it possible to produce recordings from outside the conventional structure of the music industry.

If anything, what I'd like to be is the first musician to be known for primarily doing charity work. I'd like to use song downloads to raise money for charities.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:53:02 PM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
Frontman of Depeche Mode is Orthodox, co-starter of sepultura too.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
Justin Marler of the doom metal band Sleep left the band to become an Orthodox monk. He eventually left the monastery and has a band called the Sabians.