Author Topic: Star Trek versus Star Wars  (Read 16674 times)

Online Saxon

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: Star Trek versus Star Wars
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
Star Wars. I've never seen the appeal of Star Trek - there's no creativity to the "universe", and the writers have always tended to be progressives who have used the shows and movies to push liberal-left moralizing agendas.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
Star Wars. I've never seen the appeal of Star Trek - there's no creativity to the "universe", and the writers have always tended to be progressives who have used the shows and movies to push liberal-left moralizing agendas.

Star Wars teaches rebellion against divinely ordained monarchy. Are you some kind of Bolshevik?
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
I've always cheered for the dark force anyway. Smash the hippies!
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »

You do know that the Rebel Alliance was inspired by the Viet Cong, whereas the Empire was intended to represent the US?  By George Lucas, anyway.  The director of The Empire Strikes Back decided, based on the success of Peter Cushing as Tarkin, to have the Imperials be predominantly British, so there were far fewer Imperials with American accents after the first film.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

Star Wars teaches rebellion against divinely ordained monarchy. Are you some kind of Bolshevik?

In all fairness to everyone, I am not quite sure I see how Palpatine is supposed to be divinely ordained.  Mind you, had Episode III featured a scene where Palpatine is annointed and crowned while Zadok the Priest plays in the background, that would have been fairly epic.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!