Author Topic: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!  (Read 49 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »
Teaser trailer.

Bryan Fuller, the man behind NBC's Hannibal and a writer on both DS9 and Voyager, is going to be showrunner alongside Alex Kurtzman.

While the presence of Kurtzman* makes it difficult for me to share Kayti Burt's hope that this will be return to something more akin to the TV series than the Abramsverse (though Kurtzman does, at least, appear to acknowledge that they need to get back to the show's roots).

Though, when I look back over the episodes that Fuller did the stories for, I find more episodes that I recall liking than not (Mortal Coil, Gravity, Bride of Chaotica, Empok Nor, Living Witness, Fury...) though I notice most of his stories were done with the help of others and of course I don't think he ever did the teleplays themselves, so it still gives me pause. Though with Hannibal, Fuller has shown himself pretty good at surpassing expectation for good or ill, so who knows?

What do you think?

*Not that I absolutely loathe the Abramsverse like wgw seems to, mind. Though, I liked the first one a lot better than I did Into Darkness and I agree that they follow the "dumb action movie mold" more than the best of the TV episodes did.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:45:00 PM by Volnutt »
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
This. Is. Awesome.

The only thing that could make this more excellent is if they decided to bring back Jean Luc Picard.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.