Author Topic: GOA Laity in Chicago  (Read 16016 times)

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re:GOA Laity in Chicago
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2004, 02:03:57 PM »
Ben,

Ouch!

{This is one weird thread}

Demetri
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline TomS

• Archon
  • "Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2004, 03:02:26 PM »
Wow think of all of those Orthodox monks......all gay...eh? Tom how do you feel about your Church being run by mostly homosexuals?

I think it is pathetic. But my Church is run by 2 married Priests.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2004, 05:36:02 PM »
Tom, have you ever been to an Orthodox monastery?

Offline TomS

• Archon
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
I have not stayed overnight at one -- but I have been to those in Meteora, Greece. I hope to stay at one this summer in the US and at one somewhere in Greece in the fall.

I need to learn more about this type of service to God before I shoot off my opinions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 05:51:05 PM by Tom+ú »

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2004, 05:53:06 PM »
Meteora is a tourist site.  Try to find one more off the beaten path, or that is visited mostly by pilgrims and less tourists to get a real feel of monasticism.  Once you get to know some monastics, you'll realize that they aren't freaks....just fellow Christians working out thier salvation.

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »
Christ never engaged in sex--he was celibate--are we now saying that He was gay and sexually dysfunctional?  It is entirely possible to be celibate and not be either gay or sexually dysfunctional.  It is entirely possible to be sexually active and be both.  

Has it occurred to people that we are making judgment calls and that we know nothing about these people, as we are not their spiritual fathers nor hear their confessions?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2004, 07:21:15 PM »
The whole "celibate = gay (most of the time)" notion is by far one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.  The only saving grace is that there are many people who sincerely believe this, but that's really not saying much.
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline TomS

• Archon
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2004, 12:10:13 AM »
The whole "celibate = gay (most of the time)" notion is by far one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.  The only saving grace is that there are many people who sincerely believe this, but that's really not saying much.  

Or maybe ignorance is bliss?

It is simple common sense. If you have an organization that requires celibacy, you are going to attract gays. Do you think it is just a coincidence that the catholic church has a problem of a gay priesthood?

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2004, 12:34:20 AM »
I think homosexuals in both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches who do not want to be apart of the anti-God gay lifestyle, become priests and/or monks. Many of them have callings and wish to be faithful to God and the Church, and as a result they feel that the priesthood or the monastic life is their only option.
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline TomS

• Archon
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2004, 09:15:23 AM »
I think homosexuals in both the Catholic and Orthodox Churches who do not want to be apart of the anti-God gay lifestyle, become priests and/or monks. Many of them have callings and wish to be faithful to God and the Church, and as a result they feel that the priesthood or the monastic life is their only option.

EXACTLY my viewpoint, Ben.

That is what I meant when I said that they are "Gay". I am NOT saying that they are "practicing" homosexuals.

I should have stressed that point. My fault.

Offline David

• OC.net guru
  • Retired GM
    • Homepage
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2004, 09:18:27 AM »
While that is true for some, there are also many to whom lust is not the most powerful temptation in life.  We like to think otherwise because of the virtual Sodom and Gomorrah we believe ourselves to reside in, but lust is not the most powerful sin for many of us.  Pride manifested through lust is often much more deadly.
"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2004, 01:43:18 PM »
Sorry Tom...I thought you meant practicing homosexuals...my fault
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline TomS

• Archon
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2004, 02:30:01 PM »
Sorry Tom...I thought you meant practicing homosexuals...my fault

Not your fault at all.

It is apparent by the reactions of other posters that that I did not express myself clearly.  :-[