Author Topic: beggar in "Abraham's Bosom." luke 16:22  (Read 718 times)

Offline nrse

• Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.
beggar in "Abraham's Bosom." luke 16:22
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:37:47 PM »
the rich man went to hell and Lazarus to "Abraham's Bosom"....this was before Jesus' death and resurrection...if these men had died after the death and resurrection of our Lord, how would this have played out differently?

why did Jesus need to go to hell? if those who believed went to Abraham's Bosom, who was in hell that needed liberating?

thank you for your patience with me...

lynn

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Re: beggar in "Abraham's Bosom." luke 16:22
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
I had a question about this too, wasn't everyone before Christ's death and descent, all in Hades?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Marc1152

• Toumarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
the rich man went to hell and Lazarus to "Abraham's Bosom"....this was before Jesus' death and resurrection...if these men had died after the death and resurrection of our Lord, how would this have played out differently?

why did Jesus need to go to hell? if those who believed went to Abraham's Bosom, who was in hell that needed liberating?

thank you for your patience with me...

lynn

Both the righteous and unrighteous would go to "Sheol". This was simply the place of the dead. The righteous would be there with Father Abraham.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:45:31 AM »
The funeral and memorial services contain litanies with petitions asking that the soul of the departed find its place in the bosom of Abraham.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan