OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:56:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC Convert to Orthodoxy (Western-Rite)  (Read 1118 times) Average Rating: 0
prodigalson89

« on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »

Good afternoon. I have a very simple, nagging question. There are many different opinions on the Western-Rite but I'm looking for the simple truth. I come from a Roman Catholic background and often scrutinize things obsessively. I have felt betrayed by those I looked to as teachers (within the Roman Catholic church) and as such, am very wary of arguments. Unfortunately, it leads me often to a pharisaical attitude which I am trying to remedy...

I seek admission to the Orthodox Church. There is a ROCOR Western-Rite church within my area that I have a strong interest in.

I'm ready to give up. I'm tired of searching and being confused. I just want to surrender my will already but am afraid to do so again. I want to make sure it's what God truly wants... And I am afraid of making the wrong choice.

Is the Western-Rite (within the context of the ROCOR) canonical? Would I be permitted to commune with those of other rites (if such a necessity ever arose)? Would I be able to be legitimately baptized into the Orthodox faith there?

Please help me. Thank you so much.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »

Good afternoon. I have a very simple, nagging question. There are many different opinions on the Western-Rite but I'm looking for the simple truth. I come from a Roman Catholic background and often scrutinize things obsessively. I have felt betrayed by those I looked to as teachers (within the Roman Catholic church) and as such, am very wary of arguments. Unfortunately, it leads me often to a pharisaical attitude which I am trying to remedy...

I seek admission to the Orthodox Church. There is a ROCOR Western-Rite church within my area that I have a strong interest in.

I'm ready to give up. I'm tired of searching and being confused. I just want to surrender my will already but am afraid to do so again. I want to make sure it's what God truly wants... And I am afraid of making the wrong choice.

Is the Western-Rite (within the context of the ROCOR) canonical? Would I be permitted to commune with those of other rites (if such a necessity ever arose)? Would I be able to be legitimately baptized into the Orthodox faith there?

Please help me. Thank you so much.

Here is a list of the canonical jurisidcitons Orthodox bishops in North America accepted and recongized by every Orthodox Church in the World:
Canonical Jurisdictions
Ecumenical Patriarchate
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Mexico

American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada

Albanian Orthodox Diocese

Patriarchate of Antioch
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of Mexico and Central America

Patriarchate of Moscow
Russian Orthodox Church

Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR)

Patriarchate of Serbia
Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America

Patriarchate of Romania
Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in the Americas

Patriarchate of Bulgaria
Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia

Patriarchate of Georgia
Georgian Orthodox Church

Orthodox Church in America
http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/about/canonical-jurisdictions

The list of bishops individually is here:
http://www.assemblyofbishops.org/directories/bishops/

If the WRO parish is under a bishop of the ROCOR listed above, then the answer is yes to all your questions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:06:37 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: