OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 03:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Ladder Of Divine Ascent' Commentary?  (Read 608 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: February 25, 2011, 02:40:29 AM »

I was talking tonight with a great friend and dear brother about the Ladder of Divine Ascent and was, once again, gung-ho about reading and putting it into practice for Great Lent.  I have two copies of this wonderful little book: John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality), AND The Ladder of Divine Ascent by Holy Transfiguration Monastery, as well as Ascending the Heights , a layman's guide by Fr. John Mack.  

To help me in this endeavor, I plan on utilizing all three books this Great Lent but what I think would really be beneficial would be some sort of commentary, like Fr. John's book, but that is a little more in-depth and covers more ground.  I don't think anything like this exists yet, but if any y'all know of anything, could you please point me in that direction?  Thanks a million!!

Gabriel
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:54:01 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:23:10 AM »

I find that Met. Kallistos' introduction in the Western Spirituality edition provides a great commentary of the book.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »

I find that Met. Kallistos' introduction in the Western Spirituality edition provides a great commentary of the book.

His introduction is good and informative.  But it's just an introduction; what I had in mind was commentary for each chapter (rung on the ladder) from the Desert Fathers and Mothers and even saints down through the ages.  I love what St. Theophan the Recluse did with Unseen Warfare and of coarse, we have many wonderful commentaries on Holy Scripture.  If 'The Ladder...' is as popular a devotional book as I'm told, and is so beloved and plays such an important part of Great Lent, it just strikes me as rather odd and peculiar that there are no commentaries.  I realize I'm the worse type of Orthodox Christian out there: A convert and an American, so I'm sure I'm probably missing something.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: Ladder of Divine Ascent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: