OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:59:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: as death different for those who dies before Christ'a resurrection?  (Read 426 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »

we say "Christ is risen from the dead, trampling death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life."  I have a few questions. 

1. if Christ "trampled death by death", was death something different (a different experience) for those who died before Him? 

2.  how does he "bestow life" upon those in the  tombs?

thanks!

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »

Yes, it was different. The problem in understanding this issue is that people usually think solely of physical death, and therefore have a hard time understanding how our situation at death actually changed from the time before Christ's Resurrection to after. The important thing to realize is that this is not simply a matter of physical death. The Fall of Man in its very first and original order more so actually involved a spiritual death. After all, the Lord did say to Adam and Eve that the day that they eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil that they would die. And they did spiritually die once they ate of the fruit. The physical death that followed was essentially a consequence of this spiritual death. As for the saved in Christ, from the time of their redemption they are restored to the original spiritual life that Adam and Eve were created in. They never afterward experience spiritual death (that is if they stay in faith in Christ). It is this death that was immediately destroyed and conquered for all the elect at this point, though the realization in us of Christ's defeat of physical death will be realized only later at His Second Coming.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: