OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:51:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian News, or "Christian" Gossip?  (Read 1619 times) Average Rating: 0
Reader Patrick

Faith: ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 25, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »

police

Seems to me that Christian News should be properly sourced and verified before posting. This claptrap caused by unsubstantiated rumors of Metropolitan Jonah's supposed forced leave of absence could have been avoided had the original poster treated the matter as real news - not as prurient entertainment unbecoming Orthodox Christians.

Those juicy half-factual stories belong with Bat Boy at the grocery checkout stand.  Tongue
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »

You act as if we started the internet rumors... Huh
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »

police

Seems to me that Christian News should be properly sourced and verified before posting. This claptrap caused by unsubstantiated rumors of Metropolitan Jonah's supposed forced leave of absence could have been avoided had the original poster treated the matter as real news - not as prurient entertainment unbecoming Orthodox Christians.

Those juicy half-factual stories belong with Bat Boy at the grocery checkout stand.  Tongue

With regard to the supposed forced aspect of Met. Jonah's leave, I think your beef is not with us, but with a certain retired bishop who was the source of that information.

I agree, though, that news stories should be appropriately sourced.  Unfortunately, the line between "news" and "commentary" has been inappropriately blurred in contemporary American Orthodox life.  Oftentimes our only news comes from non-objective sources.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:29:24 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »

Yeah tell me about it! Your beef is with someone else. Not that it matters, I doubt Reader Patrick will ever post much of anything on this forum anyway he has all of the signs of a "hit and run" poster...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »

police

Those juicy half-factual stories belong with Bat Boy at the grocery checkout stand.  Tongue

Your statement is worded rather harshly.

The OP, posted by Irish Hermit said:

"Isa, what on earth is this?  Bishop Tikhon say that Metropoliatn Jonah has been placed on mandatory leave of absence.  Is it just a joke?
     https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind1102D&L=ORTHODOX&T=0&F=&S=&P=13719"

Seems to me he was genuinely interested in the facts, not in spreading rumors.  

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »

The word of an OCA bishop is not gossip.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »

Yeah tell me about it! Your beef is with someone else. Not that it matters, I doubt Reader Patrick will ever post much of anything on this forum anyway he has all of the signs of a "hit and run" poster...
Reader Patrick does have a valid point, so please don't be so hard on him. We may not have started the rumors, but we at OC.net have been very active in spreading them, which makes us just as guilty of gossip.
Aristobolus

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »

In today's world of rapid, instanteous communication, "official organs" of disseminating information (such as the OCA website) should make at least a brief statement after such meetings (with an assurance of details to follow).  How difficult would it have been to make a terse announcement that Met. JONAH had requested a Temporary Leave of Absence?  My post is purely for the good of the Church; too often we have been left with alternative websites for information.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »

Reader Patrick does have a valid point, so please don't be so hard on him. We may not have started the rumors, but we at OC.net have been very active in spreading them, which makes us just as guilty of gossip.
True, and by linking Mark Stokoe's gossip rag, we are only enabling  Mark to scandalize the general public.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:05:09 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »

In today's world of rapid, instanteous communication, "official organs" of disseminating information (such as the OCA website) should make at least a brief statement after such meetings (with an assurance of details to follow).  How difficult would it have been to make a terse announcement that Met. JONAH had requested a Temporary Leave of Absence?  My post is purely for the good of the Church; too often we have been left with alternative websites for information.
You don't think they did enough quickly enough? They put out an official statement within just a few hours after the rumor broke here. I'd say that was pretty fast. I honestly don't see how it would be realistic for us to expect them to act more quickly than they did.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »

In today's world of rapid, instanteous communication, "official organs" of disseminating information (such as the OCA website) should make at least a brief statement after such meetings (with an assurance of details to follow).  How difficult would it have been to make a terse announcement that Met. JONAH had requested a Temporary Leave of Absence?  My post is purely for the good of the Church; too often we have been left with alternative websites for information.
You don't think they did enough quickly enough? They put out an official statement within just a few hours after the rumor broke here. I'd say that was pretty fast. I honestly don't see how it would be realistic for us to expect them to act more quickly than they did.

Indeed, the OCA was probably doing damage assessment and getting prior approval before posting the official statement.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 07:32:37 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

In today's world of rapid, instanteous communication, "official organs" of disseminating information (such as the OCA website) should make at least a brief statement after such meetings (with an assurance of details to follow).  How difficult would it have been to make a terse announcement that Met. JONAH had requested a Temporary Leave of Absence?  My post is purely for the good of the Church; too often we have been left with alternative websites for information.

Indeed, the OCA was probably doing damage assessment and getting prior approval before posting the official statement.

? ? ?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:17:25 PM »

? ? ?
Make sure they publish the complete story so as to eliminate opportunities for rumor mongers like us to speculate about what might be afoot. I'm sure there is also some legal advice that must be received before publishing such news in order to eliminate any liability for libel.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »

‎"Man has such powers that he can transmit good or evil to his environment. These matters are very delicate. Great care is needed. We need to see everything in a positive frame of mind. We mustn’t think anything evil about others. Even a simple glance or a sigh influences those around us. And even the slightest anger or indignation does harm. We need to have goodness and love in our soul and to transmit these things."

-Wounded By Love: The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 02:20:02 AM »

‎"Man has such powers that he can transmit good or evil to his environment. These matters are very delicate. Great care is needed. We need to see everything in a positive frame of mind. We mustn’t think anything evil about others. Even a simple glance or a sigh influences those around us. And even the slightest anger or indignation does harm. We need to have goodness and love in our soul and to transmit these things."

-Wounded By Love: The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios

Amen.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 02:22:27 AM »

? ? ?
Make sure they publish the complete story so as to eliminate opportunities for rumor mongers like us to speculate about what might be afoot. I'm sure there is also some legal advice that must be received before publishing such news in order to eliminate any liability for libel.

Exactly. Public statements such as these really should be reviewed by legal council.
In this current environment, the OCA cannot afford to post any statements without legal and spiritual council.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:23:10 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »

The word of an OCA bishop is not gossip.

Really? Bishops aren't subject to gossip or other sorts of misconduct? (keep in mind this particular Bishop in question is retired)
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »

As my priest has said, if someone is gossiping about someone else, we should keep our mouths shut unless we have something positive to say about the person being gossiped about. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »

Gossip is more interesting, obviously.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 02:44:53 AM »

Gossip is more interesting, obviously.

Sin is obviously more enticing than following the straight narrow way.

Lord have mercy and save us.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:45:34 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 07:18:18 AM »

As my priest has said, if someone is gossiping about someone else, we should keep our mouths shut unless we have something positive to say about the person being gossiped about. 
I like your Priest.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »

I think it just felt longer because we were all hitting refresh on OC.net, OCANews and the OCA website for a few hours while we waited for the official report. We wouldn't have noticed the lag if we weren't on the net at the time Smiley
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:14 AM »

How difficult would it have been to make a terse announcement that Met. JONAH had requested a Temporary Leave of Absence?

Because a terse announcement like that would have unduly raised people's suspicions about Met. Jonah's conduct.  The OCA got the full announcement online within a day of the retreat ending, and only two or three hours after OCANews picked up the story from Romfea.  Considering the OCA website's track record of being slower than molasses in Antarctica in July, I think they did pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:34:12 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
Aristobolus

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »

I am actually refreshed by the spirited defense here.  However, when I said a "terse statement", I did not just mean "Temporary Leave of Absence".  I meant that along with a short explaination such as the one given in the eventual official communique.  Furthermore, sixteen hours is a long time in the cyber-news cycle of today.  But my hunch is that alot was going on behind the scenes related to this whole thing, and that for the good of the Church the delay occured.  I stand possibly corrected; time will tell of the true nature of this leave of absence.  Whatever the case, I pray that clarity and healing comes to all of us who are affected by this.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »

Do we "need" to know the "true" nature of his leave of absence?  To me, there is a big difference between "needing" to know and "wanting" to know.  Transparency doesn't mean that I have the right to know anything I "want" to know.  Even the Metropolitan has some right to privacy.  There is a time to be silent and there is a time for speaking.  Maybe it is not the time for speaking yet--maybe it is the time to still be silent.
Reader Patrick

Faith: ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »

Thank everyone for their charitable responses. The American press abandoned journalistic standards many years ago, and broadcast and cable news became subsets of the entertainment industry. My hope is that the Orthodox community will take note and hold to a higher standard in future.  
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »

I am actually refreshed by the spirited defense here.  However, when I said a "terse statement", I did not just mean "Temporary Leave of Absence".  I meant that along with a short explaination such as the one given in the eventual official communique.  Furthermore, sixteen hours is a long time in the cyber-news cycle of today.  But my hunch is that alot was going on behind the scenes related to this whole thing, and that for the good of the Church the delay occured.  I stand possibly corrected; time will tell of the true nature of this leave of absence.  Whatever the case, I pray that clarity and healing comes to all of us who are affected by this.

I get what you're saying, but in all honesty, if the OCA had posted anything terse like you describe, the very first thing I would have thought is that we had another Archbishop Seraphim on our hands.  Even with subsequent expansion of the story (Met. Jonah's retreat was negotiated in the normal course of the synod meeting without any suspicion of moral depravity on the metropolitan's part), it would have been very difficult to dissuade me from that initial perception.  

I think I would be considered fairly loyal to Met. Jonah, so imagine what his detractors would have done with it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:54:32 PM by Orual » Logged

f.k.a. Matron.a
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: