OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 05:40:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Search of the Truth  (Read 1052 times) Average Rating: 0
Reforming Protestant

Faith: Reforming Protestant
Jurisdiction: US

« on: February 24, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »

Dear Friends,

For some time now I have been researching the Orthodox faith. I come from a faith background that can be summed up as  Protestant, Evangelical, Charismatic, and Non-Denominational. Currently, I consider myself a Reforming Protestant because of how my
exposure to the Orthodox faith has changed my relationship with God. One of the many beauties of the Orthodox faith is its emphasis on the eternal, that God's will be done, and its rich spiritual history. My journey to discovering the Orthodox faith is being memorialized here: www.thejournalofareformingprotestant.com as I compare the Orthodox faith to what I have been raised to know as a Non-Denominational Christian. In search of correction and instruction, if you feel so lead, I'd appreciate a visit to my site. Please feel free to leave a comment to help guide me or a word of encouragement as I journey on my path to Orthodoxy. Thank you, and may God Bless you.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen. To God be the glory for ever and ever.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

Welcome to the forums! Nice website! Smiley
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »

Thanks Ortho_cat. I'm excited to start browsing the forums for insight. I've already had some visitors to my site providing some encouraging words and some important understandings of the Orthodox faith.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »

May God lead you to what you are seeking, and I hope you find this forum useful.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Melodist. I have been on my journey for some time, approximately 3 years or so. I really started digging into the Orthodox faith about a year and a half ago. I have found a Orthodox Church that I attend regularly and the priest there is just great http://www.stnicholas-oca.org/. I'm actually at a point in my journey were I feel like I need to take a step closer to God; therefore, I am in the process of generating a letter to my ND church in which I am a member explaining why I need to be removed as a member. I'm not trying to be childish, I think that it is important that "on the books" my name will only be associated with one church. I've found responses to my post very helpful because I am looking for guidance as a document my journey to Orthodoxy here www.thejournalofareformingprotestant.com. In the near future I plan on posting a link to the letter to my ND pastor so that I can receive some correction before it is sent. Thank you so much to everyone who has been helping me along. God Bless you all.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

am in the process of generating a letter to my ND church in which I am a member explaining why I need to be removed as a member. I'm not trying to be childish, I think that it is important that "on the books" my name will only be associated with one church.

Absolutely. I did this before my official enrollment into the catechumenate, and I support everyone who moves into Orthodoxy in actively taking that step. We believe in One Church...and so you should not be a member in any others. It's that simple.

I haven't browsed your site yet, but I will momentarily. I look forward to seeing how your journey has been so far. Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:54:41 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »

welcome to the forum. 
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »

The Truth? The Truth is CELTIC FC > RANGERS FC  angel

Forgive my sins.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

As I'm perusing through your blogs, I noticed on the blog for July 29th 2010 that you stated that only two churches have maintained apostolic succession: the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. I just wanted to correct you and tell you that there are two additional communions which survive: the Oriental Non-Chalcedonian Churches (Coptic, Ethiopian, Syriac and Armenian Churches) which split in the 5th century and the Assyrian Church of the East (Nestorians) which I believe split in the 4th century. Both of these communions survive, so there are actually four communions which one has to decide between when looking to join the true Church. There are actually even other possibilities based on the subtle nuances of history, but these four main groups represent the general categories of ancient Christianity which survive.

I'm enjoying the blog and will continue to read through it when I have some more time later tonight. God bless you on your journey.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to reading your blog.
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »

Again, thanks again for everyone's input at www.thejournalofareformingprotestant.com. It is really helping me iron out the details of Orthodoxy compared to Non Denominational Christianity.

Alvenus,

Thanks for the very informative response. I'll make the correction.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

as far as the assyrian church of the east goes, i think they still have some elements of nestorianism (the belief that Jesus's divine and human natures are separate).
i haven't yet been to a nestorian church, so i am open to debate on this, but while the oriental and eastern orthodox churches accept each others doctrines as 'orthodox' (see http://www.orthodoxunity.org/ for more details), this has not happened with the assyrian church of the east.
so i would advise you to go to an eastern orthodox church or an oriental one (like me, i am coptic).

your story sounds very familiar, i am still trying to persuade some of my 'non-denominational' protestant family that i am 'still a Christian', having joined the 'strange and foreign' coptic church 2 years ago!

pm me for more details  Smiley
mabsoota (arabic for 'happy')
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:44 PM »

For the record, I don't consider the Assyrian Church of the East to correctly possess the apostolic faith. I should also be quick to say that I know very little about them, but that my assessment is based more on the reaction that dialog has brought from the Eastern Orthodox and Non-Chalcedonian episcopacies.
Reforming Protestant

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »

Mabsoota,

Your final comment made me laugh. I am 30 years old and my Protestant parents are very much a part of my life. As I was growing up, they were very outspoken about "spiritually dead" churches, such as, the Catholic church due to all of its dead rituals, man-made traditions, etc. Fast forward to today, I am married to a Catholic and can relate to her better than my parents. Smiley

My mom, who is very active in a ND church, and from time to time will send me literature denouncing the practices of Orthodox and Catholic Christians. I wont bore you with all the details but I'll read the material she sends me and respond appropriately. My mom on the other hand does not respond to information I send here, whether she reviews it or not I'm not sure.

But during these interactions I can distinctly see a difference between the viewpoints of an ND and an Orthodox. To me, it seems that NDs today are more concerned about the level of one's faith and how it effects your lifestyle on earth rather than having a God's will be done attitude, and being more concerned with the eternal. Additionally, I found that NDs profess a lot of faith, but cannot accept the spiritual in physical form unless its a healing. Things such as icons, eucharist, etc are not given a place within the faith of an ND. How can we truly believe that God took on meat and bones for our salvation with only a spiritual outlook? - this is a question my mom has yet to answer.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

How can we truly believe that God took on meat and bones for our salvation with only a spiritual outlook?

Many of us are comfortable saying that "God became flesh" because of the commonality of the phrase, but we have to really challenge ourselves and say that God became meat and blood and bones and teeth and hair for our sake.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: