OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:27:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: missing piece of Resurrection puzzle  (Read 1119 times) Average Rating: 0
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »

i almost feel embarrassed to bring this up- i feel that somehow, i should "have" this and i dont...at least i feel that i am missing a piece of the puzzle before it all "clicks"...please be patient with me since i am having trouble identifying and verbalizing just what the problem is-- which only adds to my angst...

starting with what i do get: that is, having been raised RC and lived in Pentecostal/evangelical churches since i was 26 (now 60) i do understand the judicial metaphor- we have sinned, punishment is due, Jesus took that punishment and now we are at peace with the Father...

as i nurse, the metaphor (discovered in Orthodoxy) of sin sickness and healing provided really rings true with me...

the concept that God is too awesome, too mighty to be "hurt" or even personally "offended" by the sins of man, requiring something be taken out of man's hide to be satisfied makes perfect sense to me....

at Pascha we emphasize that Jesus defeated death by trampling on death...i think, but am not certain, that this is the piece i have trouble marrying with all the other pieces...i think.....ugh....

i am reading Athanasius' writing on the Incarnation and it is awesome- but what i hoped to find is not there and i only have a few chapters left....if i knew exactly what it was i was looking for, then it would be a lot easier to find it lol...the devil uses just that to beat up on me with unworthiness...and i am absolutely unworthy of all of it....but discouragement is not mine to have with a Savior!

can someone, anyone help me pull all this together?

thanks, lynn

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:50:00 AM by nrse » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »

The answer can be found in the Hymn we sing on Holy Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6hawl7Fgc

TODAY HELL CRIES OUT GROANING:
I SHOULD NOT HAVE ACCEPTED THE MAN BORN OF MARY.
HE CAME AND DESTROYED MY POWER.
HE SHATTERED THE GATES OF BRASS.
AS GOD, HE RAISED THE SOULS THAT I HAD HELD CAPTIVE.
GLORY TO THY CROSS AND RESURRECTION, O LORD!  

TODAY, HELL CRIES OUT GROANING:
MY DOMINION HAS BEEN SHATTERED.
I RECEIVED A MORTAL MAN AS ONE OF THE DEAD,
BUT AGAINST HIM I COULD NOT PREVAIL.
FROM ETERNITY I HAD RULED THE DEAD,
BUT BEHOLD, HE RAISES ALL.
BECAUSE OF HIM DO I PERISH.

MY POWER HAS BEEN TRAMPLED UPON.
THE SHEPHERD IS CRUCIFIED AND ADAM IS RAISED.
I HAVE BEEN DEPRIVED OF THOSE WHOM I RULED.
THOSE WHOM I SWALLOWED IN MY STRENGTH I HAVE GIVEN UP.
HE WHO WAS CRUCIFIED HAS EMPTIED THE TOMB.
THE POWER OF DEATH HAS BEEN VANQUISHED.

Read also the second section of the Apocryphal "Gospel of Nicodemus" which describes the descent into Hades: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/gospelnicodemus.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:46:33 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

ozgeorge, you beat me to it! Exactly what I would have suggested, as well. This is almost certainly my favourite hymn and I look forward to singing it every Holy Saturday.

It's the defeat of death itself that is hymned here. Note the agony that death suffers while dying. All is being made right again.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »

Read also the second section of the Apocryphal "Gospel of Nicodemus" which describes the descent into Hades: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/gospelnicodemus.html
BEAUTIFUL HYMN!  thanks, I needed to ear this!!!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

Wonderful! I wonder if i can find an english verision on itunes.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »

What a Hymn!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

at Pascha we emphasize that Jesus defeated death by trampling on death...i think, but am not certain, that this is the piece i have trouble marrying with all the other pieces...i think.....ugh....

You actually have got it, better than most!  Yes, we are absolutely unworthy, yes it makes absolutely no sense according to the limited reasoning and sense of justice according to our own humanity.  Humans seek vengance, justice, permanence, conclusions, etc etc.  We expect God to do the same, but we were made in His Image, not He in ours.. God loves all.  His Love is transcendental to our weaknesses.  It is precisely NOT SUPPOSED to make any sense to us.  Quite the opposite, it is supposed to overwhelm us with bewilderment, confusion, uncertainity, because these lead us directly, tangibly, realistically to God.  When we grope for God in the darkness of our inability to understand His Divine Love, that is when He is most able to demonstrate it effectively in our lives.

God's love is operative, it is a force.  It is a verb, not a concept.  It acts.  It heals.  It consoles.  It conciliates. 

I was standing at Divine Liturgy this past Sunday with a horrible weight on my heart, full of anxiety and apprehension about several things.  I couldn't shake it, even if I wanted to.  My mind was reeling and at battle with itself, because I knew what I was feeling didn't make sense, and yet the feelings only grew stronger outside of my control.  It was like a literal knot on my heart, binding me closed in pain, in fear, in doubt.  However I gave God the chance, I remained standing there in the sincerity of my confusion.  And there God came to me, and subtly melted the knots until my heart felt His Love, until my burdens fell away.  There was no logical reason for this.  There were no intellectual epiphanies, Tony Robbins didn't come in and help me organize my life and make it all make sense and be easy, no not at all.  Rather, God Himself came to my heart, and with His Love, despite my sins, despite my confusions, He healed me, that I might live outside of fear, of apprehension, of uneasiness. 

It is better for it not to make sense, that allows God to truly be the one doing all the work.  When you have these kinds of feelings, stand in prayer and let God heal you directly.  It will never make sense, but God will come to you and you will feel simultaneously the same confusing humanity we possess and yet also in tandem workings, the Holy Spirit guiding us through, carrying us in our weaknesses, precisely because of our weaknesses.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:29 AM »

habte selassie,

That was beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.

Peter
Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »

Wonderful! I wonder if i can find an english verision on itunes.

There is an English version on this CD.

Attend, O Heaven

It's a good CD, I recommend it.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »

Beautiful Hymn. Thank you for sharing. In the Syriac Orthodox (Oriental Orthodox) church we have a similar hymn on Holy Saturday. The following is the English translation. I have done a word for word translation, so I was not able to keep the tone.

Death entered carrrying the Son of God.
It didn't realize the dead man it was carrying, would destroy hades.
David saw him far away and cried out saying:
"Lift up your heads, O you gates!
Let the King of Glory come in."
Hades asked David: "Who is this King of glory."
David answered: "The Lord strong and mighty, who has come to save us."

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: