OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:48:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 422 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »

So I want to get back to college and want to try to get into some scholarships. What does a bloke like me in my twenties has a chance at getting one? Any good sites to look up?

I don't think I could re-enroll in a university because my GPA at college has been piss poor due to parties and procrastination. It's been about a year and a half since I've been back.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

Aposphet's stats:

Total Posts:   925 posts
Total Topics Started:   102 topics

Cut back on starting topics? 9:1?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »

Aposphet's stats:

Total Posts:   925 posts
Total Topics Started:   102 topics

Cut back on starting topics? 9:1?

Nooooo! this is a good topic, I need to see the replies too!!
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:24 AM »

So I want to get back to college and want to try to get into some scholarships. What does a bloke like me in my twenties has a chance at getting one? Any good sites to look up?

I don't think I could re-enroll in a university because my GPA at college has been piss poor due to parties and procrastination. It's been about a year and a half since I've been back.

For me, as ignorant about the school system as I am and at my age - please take this as a grain of salt - go to a community college on student loans and PROVE YOURSELF.  Work hard HARD and earn academic excellence awards to pay for your remaining education - then transfer to a university. 

Not sure if this works any more, but this was my plan. . . heh way back when.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »

In the painful truth is that if you need to take a loan to attend University you probably don't belong there. For most professional degrees it is a must, but for an undergrad, unless you borrowing a pittance, it is not a great idea.

If it is a community college where you can go to "prove yourself", get a job, pay for the classes, excel and make connections with the faculty, so that you can get glowing recommendation for institution sponsored scholarships.

This country needs to revitalize its trade schools and unions. Getting into an electrician's union at the moment would not be a bad move.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

I assume you would need to show a reverse in trend before getting any kind of academic scholarship, so I think the above is good advice.

That said, you could always try websearching for, say, "free money."

Or, try this: http://gibill.va.gov/

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: