OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 09:39:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 840 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

I have smoked on and off since I was 11 years old. I had quit for a full year until about 1-2 months ago. My wife is pregnant again, and I notice some of the same old awful nagging health issues/life issues all coming right back. I am going to stop again, now, and I need all the prayer I can get!

In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Lord, have mercy. I've had difficulties with this habit too.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

I struggled with smoking for many years. I quit several times before it stuck, and fried my adrenal glands from quitting and re-starting so many times. FWIW, reading a book by Allen Carr (The Easy Way to Stop Smoking or something like that) was what did the trick for me.

Prayers and best wishes.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

Lord have mercy!!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »

JimC,

I feel your pain. Grew up part of my life in tobacco country. First paid work I did was hanging and stripping tobacco. You can't do that job without getting strung out. Been up to a three pack a day guy. I prayed that God take away the habit when he saw fit and one day I just stopped mid-pack and dealt with feeling miserable for a few months without nary a craving.

Had a serious car accident which caused some long term concussive problems, smoking was a help as was caffeine. Heck, my doc supported it.

FWIW, cold turkey remains the most successful protocol.

Since, I have recovered for the most part. I plan on stopping the five or so cigarettes I have been smoking per day coming up during Lent.

The very fact, I've consistently pretty only smoked 5-7 cigarettes a day (unless out with heavy smokers at a bar) attests to some sorta miracle.

Pray for me and I will do likewise for you.

And remember it is a gross motor movement you can control. As in my recovery from serious alcohol addiction and drug use, prayer and being useful to others and remembering I can control my gross motor movements when I feel a bit antsy remains the successful protocol.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »

I know this struggle too.

Lord have mercy!
May He grant you will and vigilance.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:32:26 AM »

Prayers......

Lord have Mercy.....Amen Amen

May the Blessed lord and Saviour Grant you and me,
All of us that struggle ,the Strength to over come all addictions...Amen Amen

Prayers to The Most Blessed Mother Of God ,Please help Us .......Amen Amen
             Hvala ti Gospode ....Amin Amin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 02:45:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

I've read somewhere that there are some self-hypnosis CD's that teach you how to quit smoking.  I don't know too much about self-hypnosis, but with your priests' blessing, it might be worth a look at.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 02:58:13 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

I've read somewhere that there are some self-hypnosis CD's that teach you how to quit smoking.  I don't know too much about self-hypnosis, but with your priests' blessing, it might be worth a look at.   

My Sister went to a hypnotist, and she Quit ,But gained alot of weight...... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »

Jim,

How are you doing? I've had two in the last three days. Getting ready to wrap up at work. And like Pavlov's dog I am literally salivating for one.

You're in my prayers!

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »

Give it up! I am writing this from a hospital bed, and believe me angina is not fun!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »

Give it up! I am writing this from a hospital bed, and believe me angina is not fun!

Sorry to hear that OZ, you will be in my prayers.

I developed unstable angina (Prinzmetal's) at age 34. Took up moderate smoking after a severe car accident about 18 months ago to help mitigate some of the cognitive issues afterward after having not smoked for years.

Looks like I'm headed down the side of family that doesn't make it to 40 or to with 45 with multiple medical interventions before dying of heart failure.

I do wish you well.

Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »

Lord Have Mercy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: