OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:09:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christchurch Earthquake  (Read 1523 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: February 22, 2011, 05:20:25 AM »

A severe Earthquake has struck Christchurch, New Zealand today. At least 65 people are confirmed dead with many more missing. Many buildings which were still undergoing repairs from the Boxing Day Earthquake have now sustained even worse damage including the historic Christchurch Cathedral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0KGExeMjw

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
jayjay

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »

I heard about this while at work today - they are all in my prayers. So many are still missing!!!
soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »

Lord Have Mercy and prayers of compassion and grievance for our brothers in NZ

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »

Prayers.......

Lord Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

Prayers that Father Ambrose Is Safe, And  All The People ......Amen Amen

Prayers To The Holy  and Most Blessed Theotokos , Mother Of God,
For Her Help And Protection ,Under Her Mantle.......Amen Amen

Gospode Pomilujse Na Narod ,Ljude Tvoje .....Amin Amin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:21 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »

Prayers for the safety and well-being of all the people of NZ and most particularly for those of our community who reside there, such as Father Ambrose. May the memories of those who have died be eternal.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal.

Antiochian OC N.A.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »

Thanks for your prayers.  Many thanks.  It is such a catastrophe.  65 fatalities and expected to be 200-400. The country is in shock.   We are a small coutry of 4 million.

Father Ambrose
Wellington New Zealand
ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »

Lord have mercy on them. May You guide them to safety, O God, and provide for their needs in their time of suffering. Amen.
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »

Lord Have Mercy.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »

I've just heard that there is an Orthodox women (Serbian) who is trapped in the CTV building. Tamara's husband had contact from her in the building via cell-phone but I don't know how long ago that was.  She told him she was trapped under her desk and had lost 4 fingers. Those of you following the story will know this is one of the more devastated buildings and they aren't expecting any survivors.

Lord have mercy!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:47 AM »

Just in from an Australian friend:

For your ongoing prayers, the following items are being circulated

1) At 8 am in Christchurch - crews have been working all night at the CTV building where Tamara is trapped - several bodies have been pulled from the wreckage, but we have no news yet on Tamara

2) Please pray for Fr Arkady and the parishioners of St Nicholas parish - the church building remains unscathed, although there is a lot of liquefaction in the yard, the yard is flooded with wet sand.
Inside the church the icons have mostly fallen off the walls, several things have broken and the parishioners (those that can make it) will gather tomorrow to start the clean-up
Several parishioners have lost everything, being evacuated from their homes with no return possible for the duration.

3) Please remember Lynda (non Orthodox) in your prayers, she is the fiancé of a relative of Father John Weir and is missing.

Many thanks for keeping these items before the throne of grace

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »

Lord have mercy!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Being born and raised in Los Angeles I can't help but to deeply relate to the folks in NZ, let us pray for them!

Interestingly, I noticed the famous cathedral in Christchurch was damaged (practically destroyed) similarly to the devastation of the famous cathedral in Haiti, I wonder what God is trying to tell us with having such spiritual monuments damaged.  

Are we as a society not paying attention to what the Church spire represents? I do not suppose these to be punishments to NZ or Haiti, no not alt all, God is not so vindictive. But Christ did tell us, "Do you suppose these were the worst sinners in all or Jerusalem to have these things happen to them? No, of course not, so you all, be careful and watch and pray lest the same happen to you."

That being said, we should take to heart the when God shakes the earth, it is both literal and figurative.  In the Scriptural languages, the "World" or "earth" is both the physical world, and also the systematic order of the world.  It is our system, our cultures, or politics, our structures.  So when God shakes the world, He not only shakes the physical world, but also the spiritual and political.  He shakes the kosmos and the order as much as the physical land, and we should take note when ever the Kosmos/Order is shaken, at is surely a vision and a sign.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:00:54 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »

The word came down a week or so ago that they had finished searching the wreckage of the Anglican cathedral in Christchurch, and instead of finding twenty or so bodies as they had feared, they found no bodies at all.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

The word came down a week or so ago that they had finished searching the wreckage of the Anglican cathedral in Christchurch, and instead of finding twenty or so bodies as they had feared, they found no bodies at all.

Glory to God!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:34:50 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: