OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics, what is your opinion of this?  (Read 12571 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »

According to the definition-as much as there is one-of ex cathedra, the CCC should fit the bill. But alas! I've been told that its is not a magisterial document and not infallible, so I don't know how much citing the CCC is going to help (although you haven't personally stated what your stand of the theological certitude of the CCC is). Even if it is infallible, it doesn't say much as to history, which is what Luberti brought up: if it had, it wouldn't fall within faith and morals, possibly mooting what it had to say anyway.
Personally, I am quite convinced that the CCC is not ex cathedra, since it fulfills 2, at most, of the 3 conditions for an ex cathedra statement:
1. Is it on faith and morals? Yes.
2. Was the Pope acting in "his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority"? I really couldn't say whether he was or wasn't.
Do tell your friends. We've had some argument from them on this point:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30177.0.html

I visited that thread, but I still don't know what you're referring to. Did someone over there say that the CCC is ex cathedra?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »

According to the definition-as much as there is one-of ex cathedra, the CCC should fit the bill. But alas! I've been told that its is not a magisterial document and not infallible, so I don't know how much citing the CCC is going to help (although you haven't personally stated what your stand of the theological certitude of the CCC is). Even if it is infallible, it doesn't say much as to history, which is what Luberti brought up: if it had, it wouldn't fall within faith and morals, possibly mooting what it had to say anyway.
Personally, I am quite convinced that the CCC is not ex cathedra, since it fulfills 2, at most, of the 3 conditions for an ex cathedra statement:
2. Was the Pope acting in "his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, and by virtue of his supreme apostolic authority"? I really couldn't say whether he was or wasn't.

I visited that thread, but I still don't know what you're referring to. Did someone over there say that the CCC is ex cathedra?

LOL.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081997_laetamur_en.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:03 AM »

Oh, for goodness' sake, Peter J: Is not the the content of the CCC what all Roman Catholics should affirm? Is this not the document that those who wish to enter the RCC have to absorb and abide by? If they don't, i.e. if the CCC is "optional", does this not make a mockery of what the RCC expects of its prospective entrants?  Whether it's ex cathedra or not kinda misses the point, dontcha think??
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2011, 02:37:26 AM »

Oh, for goodness' sake, Peter J: Is not the the content of the CCC what all Roman Catholics should affirm? Is this not the document that those who wish to enter the RCC have to absorb and abide by? If they don't, i.e. if the CCC is "optional", does this not make a mockery of what the RCC expects of its prospective entrants?  Whether it's ex cathedra or not kinda misses the point, dontcha think??
It is also odd that we have had posters here, and I've heard it from followers of the Vatican everywhere, that one of the decifiencies we Orthodox have (and I guess the supreme pontiff is supposed to solve) is that we lack a catechism.

It is odd for us to say if the CCC is ex cathedra, as we know it is in error on a number of points, and we know that if it was ex cathedra that wouldn't make it infallible.  It is like asking which is the true Protestant church or which form of Islam is correct. None of the above.  So it is rather hard to say that the CCC fulfills nonexistent criteria that the best scholastic minds of the Vatican can't figure out: otherwise we would know if Humanae Vitae was infallible or have an official list of all the ex cathedra pronouncements.  but that would tarnish the aura Paster Aeternus inflates.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:45:44 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2011, 02:53:55 AM »

So it is rather hard to say that the CCC fulfills nonexistent criteria that the best scholastic minds of the Vatican can't figure out: otherwise we would know if Humanae Vitae was infallible or have an official list of all the ex cathedra pronouncements.  but that would tarnish the aura Paster Aeternus inflates.

Cachinno!

jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »

I wondered about that too, but I don't think jordanz meant to imply that all Catholics fit in those 3 "tidy boxes".

Quite right.  These classifications aren't "tidy boxes" but rather very vague ideological (or an-ideological) ranges.

For example: within the "traditional Catholic liturgical right" there are many shades of conviction, from those who would be content with celebrating the Novus Ordo ad orientem, with some Tridentine ceremonial, and some Latin, all the way to crypto-sedevacantists who will disparage Paul VI at any turn and question the validity of Pius XII's reformed Holy Week.  Even within the "apathetic" camp there are those who lean to the "left" or "right", but often have other pressing pastoral concerns which mitigate a sharp focus on liturgical concerns.  At the same time, all of these sentiments can overlap depending on circumstance and individual issues.

Even in my "home" parish in the United States, the pastor and priests have made concessions to their sincere liturgical convictions.  They offer at least one Mass on Sunday versus populum and with a lone layperson to minister a consecrated chalice (most parishioners beeline to the altar rail anyway).  I strongly suspect that the clergy of the parish would prefer to not make any accommodation to lay ministers and Mass celebrated facing the people, but I also suspect that the bishop has requested that at least one Mass feature these innovations.  The malleability of these ideological categories is also contingent on external pressures. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:47:50 AM by jordanz » Logged
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »

The differences between "conservatives" and "traditionalists" are nearly invisible to those outside the Church, but for those in the latter camp this is a significant difference. There is some degree of overlap (not all traditionalists worship in SSPX chapels). But traditionalists would be more likely assent to "roll back Vatican II and the Novus Ordo mass" rathern than "reform the reform". "traditionalists" would be more focused on the liturgy than "conservatives." At the end of the day, it's your stance toward Vatican II that marks the difference.

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/modernproblems/vatican2/deftrd.htm

This was an interesting paragraph:

Traditionalists believe the Second Vatican Council to be harmful to the Church. As with criticisms of the Pope, this does not represent a denial of the Church's indefectibility. Just because an ecumenical council is called, does not guarantee it will succeed or be good for the Church.

"It is entirely possible that an ecumenical council can simply fail in its stated goal. The fifteenth-century Council of Ferrara-Florence failed to bring about a lasting reconciliation with the Orthodox. The Second Council of Constantinople, held during the 550s, seems only to have confused people further about the controversy surrounding Monophysitism. For that reason, St. Isidore of Seville believed that the Church would have been better off had it never been called." 9
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:10:49 AM by John Larocque » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »

I wondered about that too, but I don't think jordanz meant to imply that all Catholics fit in those 3 "tidy boxes".

Quite right.  These classifications aren't "tidy boxes" but rather very vague ideological (or an-ideological) ranges.

For example: within the "traditional Catholic liturgical right" there are many shades of conviction, from those who would be content with celebrating the Novus Ordo ad orientem, with some Tridentine ceremonial, and some Latin, all the way to crypto-sedevacantists who will disparage Paul VI at any turn and question the validity of Pius XII's reformed Holy Week.  Even within the "apathetic" camp there are those who lean to the "left" or "right", but often have other pressing pastoral concerns which mitigate a sharp focus on liturgical concerns.  At the same time, all of these sentiments can overlap depending on circumstance and individual issues.

Even in my "home" parish in the United States, the pastor and priests have made concessions to their sincere liturgical convictions.  They offer at least one Mass on Sunday versus populum and with a lone layperson to minister a consecrated chalice (most parishioners beeline to the altar rail anyway).  I strongly suspect that the clergy of the parish would prefer to not make any accommodation to lay ministers and Mass celebrated facing the people, but I also suspect that the bishop has requested that at least one Mass feature these innovations.  The malleability of these ideological categories is also contingent on external pressures. 

I don't really care about your abstract categories.  What I am saying is that you've entirely missed very REAL categories that may include some of the characteristics that you posit, but you have offered a less than real image of your Church and I am wondering why.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »

I don't really care about your abstract categories.

Pretty much my sentiment about most RC "theology" in a single sentence.

The RCs on the ground are often divorced from the "thinkers" and ivory towers.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »

Don't you mean "annuled"? Tongue

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »

Don't you mean "annuled"? Tongue

I set 'em up, you knock 'em down. Was hoping for someone to run with it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »

I am sorry that you have that perception of my theology.  I take a great deal from our saints and doctors and some of our theological writers during the 20th century.  I wish your experiences had been better.

I have had some terrible experiences with Orthodox teachers and believers but I try not to let that taint my perception of the faith as a whole.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »

Oh, for goodness' sake, Peter J: Is not the the content of the CCC what all Roman Catholics should affirm? Is this not the document that those who wish to enter the RCC have to absorb and abide by? If they don't, i.e. if the CCC is "optional", does this not make a mockery of what the RCC expects of its prospective entrants?  Whether it's ex cathedra or not kinda misses the point, dontcha think??

Hi LBK.

Question: have you considered switching to decaf?

But on a side note, the poster who asked whether the CCC is ex cathedra is named "ialmisry". (I think he would view it as an insult to be called "Peter J".) "Peter J" was the poster who answered ialmisry.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:50:09 AM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »

LOL.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081997_laetamur_en.html

I'm not too sure what to make of that. Possibility it's just a flat-out non sequitor.

Or maybe you meant it more like, "LOL, the joke's on you. You wasted a bunch of time looking at a thread just because I pointed you to it. Now let's see if you'll read the apostolic letter Laetamur Magnopere just because I posted a link to it."

If that's your meaning, then alright, 10 points for you, you did play me like a pipe.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:53:57 AM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

Whether it's ex cathedra or not kinda misses the point, dontcha think??

That's a very good point. I don't really have time right now to do justice to it, but I'll try to later.

ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »

Could you look at this forum please. I found here general idea that for Novus Ordo mass each "each bishop's conference is allowed to make changes that reflects the cultural norms of their area, which opens it up for the freedom to "abuse" with such things as the infamous "clown Mass"". Could you point me to some vatican documents that points to this rule?

Thank you in advance
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »

LOL.

I'm not too sure what to make of that. Possibility it's just a flat-out non sequitor.

Or maybe you meant it more like, "LOL, the joke's on you. You wasted a bunch of time looking at a thread just because I pointed you to it. Now let's see if you'll read the apostolic letter Laetamur Magnopere just because I posted a link to it."

If that's your meaning, then alright, 10 points for you, you did play me like a pipe.
Or maybe your supreme pontiff in Laetamur Magnopere fulfills the requirements of Pastor Aeternus, and was sayng that he was speaking ex cathedra in the CCC.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:40:32 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »

Could you look at this forum please. I found here general idea that for Novus Ordo mass each "each bishop's conference is allowed to make changes that reflects the cultural norms of their area, which opens it up for the freedom to "abuse" with such things as the infamous "clown Mass"".

Hi ativan. As I read the above, the question that came to my mind is "Can you/they provide any support for this claim?"

... Then I realized that you asked the same in the next line:

Could you point me to some vatican documents that points to this rule?

Thank you in advance

Great minds think alike, eh?  Cool

ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »

Could you look at this forum please. I found here general idea that for Novus Ordo mass each "each bishop's conference is allowed to make changes that reflects the cultural norms of their area, which opens it up for the freedom to "abuse" with such things as the infamous "clown Mass"".

Hi ativan. As I read the above, the question that came to my mind is "Can you/they provide any support for this claim?"

... Then I realized that you asked the same in the next line:

Could you point me to some vatican documents that points to this rule?

Thank you in advance

Great minds think alike, eh?  Cool
Hi to you too Peter

I found a link from etwn.com about this. Here's the link. It is an excerpt from The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy Sacrosanctum Concilium which basically starts with who can regulate the NO liturgy and what type of changes are allowed. Would you say that the content of this excerpt does provide for "each bishop's conference to be allowed to make changes that reflects the cultural norms of their area, which opens it up for the freedom to "abuse" with such things as the infamous "clown Mass""

To me it seems that it does. But I don't want to make that claim. I'd rather here from a Catholic and from the one who knows much more on this.

God bless
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:53 AM »

So I hear there are to be some changes made with the Catholic liturgy, something about using more majestic language. Is this to be universally applied? What other changes are in the works?
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »

So I hear there are to be some changes made with the Catholic liturgy, something about using more majestic language. Is this to be universally applied? What other changes are in the works?

They did an accurate translation of the Missal of Paul VI and it is replacing the crappy translation that hippies did in the 1960's.

It only applies to English speaking countries.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

They did an accurate translation of the Missal of Paul VI and it is replacing the crappy translation that hippies did in the 1960's.

It only applies to English speaking countries.

You might recall that you are talking about an approved and received liturgy of the Catholic Church and that the "hippies" were bishops whether or not you like what they did with the language.

Perhaps it is best that they have moved off the liturgical stage but for more than two generations their liturgy fed far more people than it alienated.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »

[...] their liturgy [...]

Forgive me, but I thought this was telling.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »

[...] their liturgy [...]

Forgive me, but I thought this was telling.

I was echoing the idea that it was a group of hippies who gave us the Novus Ordo.

But no matter what your opinion of it, or my own, it is the normative liturgy of the Roman rite.

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »

The Los Angeles Religious Education Congress liturgies, which are sponsored by the Archdiocese, are always painful to watch, but here is a link for those who want to see what they are like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9tmkBS9K0

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

More people are picking this off the shelves instead of the processed sh-t. Slow but steady and inexorable improvement.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »

Oh my!

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: