OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Mission  (Read 3500 times) Average Rating: 0
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »

Dear friends,

I have created a new blog where I am describing the activities of our missionary ministry in the UK as they take place.

The Blog is called:

Orthodox Mission - A Coptic Orthodox missionary blog as it happens

http://orthodox-mission.blogspot.com/

Do please consider visiting the blog on a regular basis, and how you might support our efforts.

The fields are already white for the harvest but the labourers are few.

God bless

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »

Dear friends,

I have created a new blog where I am describing the activities of our missionary ministry in the UK as they take place.

The Blog is called:

Orthodox Mission - A Coptic Orthodox missionary blog as it happens

Do please consider visiting the blog on a regular basis, and how you might support our efforts.

The fields are already white for the harvest but the labourers are few.

God bless

Father Peter

What a great website!

I'm so glad that the Coptic Orthodox and British Orthodox are doing this missions work.  We need to spread the light of Orthodoxy more in the Western world.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

Reading this thread should give everyone an idea as to why we need to support Orthodox missions in the UK:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,34109.0.html

Yikes. 

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »

I just posted a reply in a thread about a prayer book, and it made me think of a rather odd question.  I just have to ask the question, though:  Do the British Orthodox ever pray in Old English?

Here's the thread I was just posting in:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,34925.msg551200.html#msg551200

I'm not sure why the British Orthodox would ever pray in Old English, but I guess if anyone ever were to use it as a liturgical language, it would be the British Orthodox.  It would be great to hear a recording of it, if it were ever used.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:00:35 AM »

I just posted a reply in a thread about a prayer book, and it made me think of a rather odd question.  I just have to ask the question, though:  Do the British Orthodox ever pray in Old English?

Here's the thread I was just posting in:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,34925.msg551200.html#msg551200

I'm not sure why the British Orthodox would ever pray in Old English, but I guess if anyone ever were to use it as a liturgical language, it would be the British Orthodox.  It would be great to hear a recording of it, if it were ever used.

I have seen videos of the BO conducting a baptismal liturgy in Modern English, so at most Old English would be supplementary (and even this I doubt).

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

You're probably right.  No one would understand the Old English (I'm thinking of Beowulf back in high school) so I guess they wouldn't want to use it.

It's too bad.  It would be kind of fun to hear it.   Smiley

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »

There have been occasional services held in OE by various historical groups I know of. Of course Latin is the language of earlier worship in England.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »

Of course Latin is the language of earlier worship in England.

I'm smacking my forehead because I should have realized that.  I guess that only makes sense, since England used to be under the jurisdiction of Rome.

Wasn't Old English ever used, though, for prayer or other religious purposes, especially before the Norman Invasion?  In the back of my mind I seem to recall reading something else in Old English besides Beowulf, and it was Christian, as opposed to the pagan Beowulf.  It was a poem, or something, about the Holy Cross.  I think the word "Rood" was used for the Cross.  Do you know what I am talking about, or am I completely mixed up in my memories?  It's been a long time and a lot of my brain cells have died since then.   Smiley  I wish I could remember the poem.  In any event, I doubt they'll make a movie of it like they did with Beowulf.   Cheesy

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:50:55 AM »

Old English was used in a variety of contexts. Caedmon is famous for translating scriptural paraphrase into Old English, and the sermons of St Gregory the Great were translated, and much else. Bede wrote poetry in Old English. etc etc.

But the worship of the Church was in Latin, even as the personal spirituality of many people was in their own Old English tongue. I have scanned scholarly papers discussing the issue of language in this context but I can't remember the conclusion. I imagine that some people had a good knowledge of Latin, others had a good enough understanding to follow the liturgy, and others struggled with a few prayers.

Lizzie

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »

This is a great blog Father Peter. Thank you for sharing it!
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »

nice blog! Abba Seraphim got my fellowship account sorted out. Hope you have been well father. Also did you get the email with the picture of my cross? I tried to post it on here but its too big... I have it on the BOC facebook page... Its in rough shape due to my materials but i plan to get better ones soon! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150156909988860&set=o.73390677062&type=1
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »

old english?
salpy, don't give them that idea!
i am trying to persuade them to keep it modern, you're undoing all the good work!
 Wink
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »

Of course Latin is the language of earlier worship in England.

I'm smacking my forehead because I should have realized that.  I guess that only makes sense, since England used to be under the jurisdiction of Rome.

Wasn't Old English ever used, though, for prayer or other religious purposes, especially before the Norman Invasion?  In the back of my mind I seem to recall reading something else in Old English besides Beowulf, and it was Christian, as opposed to the pagan Beowulf.  It was a poem, or something, about the Holy Cross.  I think the word "Rood" was used for the Cross.  Do you know what I am talking about, or am I completely mixed up in my memories?  It's been a long time and a lot of my brain cells have died since then.   Smiley  I wish I could remember the poem.  In any event, I doubt they'll make a movie of it like they did with Beowulf.   Cheesy

The poem I was thinking of was "The Dream of the Rood."  Is that ever used anymore by anyone?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:38:43 AM by Salpy » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »

Wonderful blog, Fr. Peter.

nice blog! Abba Seraphim got my fellowship account sorted out. Hope you have been well father. Also did you get the email with the picture of my cross? I tried to post it on here but its too big... I have it on the BOC facebook page... Its in rough shape due to my materials but i plan to get better ones soon! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150156909988860&set=o.73390677062&type=1

Seafra, that is beautiful cross!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »

I hope our British Orthodox brothers and sisters are OK right now and that none of them have been harmed by the riots.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:43 AM »

Wow!  I just realized that Fr. Peter's blog has information about the Coptic language classes they are having in London soon:

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

i think everyone's fine, see the 'prayer for london' thread.
this is a traditional time in uk to be off on holiday (kids are off school) so maybe that's why there are not so many posts from over here  Smiley
thanks for yr concern.
btw u r an excellent mod
 angel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:48:45 PM by mabsoota » Logged
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »

i think everyone's fine, see the 'prayer for london' thread.
this is a traditional time in uk to be off on holiday (kids are off school) so maybe that's why there are not so many posts from over here  Smiley
thanks for yr concern.

That's good to know, we pray you're all safe and out of harm's way.

btw u r an excellent mod
 angel

The BEST Mod!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »

You guys are so nice!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »

We are organising a few things over here in London, God willing.

i. A Coptic Language Summer School - this is a 4 day intensive course in Sahidic Coptic being taught by a lecturer in Coptic. I am glad that I have gathered a good sized class, been able to locate a venue at one of the London Universities, and have attracted what I hope will be an interesting mix of students, most of whom are academics.

Next year I am planning to run an Armenian Language Summer School, which Father Vahan has promised to teach.

These sort of activities are often for my own benefit since I want to attend courses like this, can't easily find them, and decide to organise one myself.

ii. A central London mission of the British Orthodox Church, offering Orthodox worship and teaching in English to all who are interested. This will be starting as a liturgy on one Saturday each month. I am presently negotiating for the use of premises in central London. We are hoping and praying that this would develop into a central London community of Orthodox faithful and enquirers worshipping in English.

iii. A one day practical study of The Orthodox Way of Prayer - This will be an event held in central London as a mix of Orthodox prayer and teaching about the Orthodox tradition of prayer. I am working to produce a book called The Orthodox Way of Prayer which will also contain teaching and an anthology of Orthodox prayers to be distributed at the event. I am thinking of holding this event before the first liturgy, or certainly the second liturgy, as a means of drawing people who are interested in Orthodox spirtuality towards attending the liturgies.

Do pray for us

Father Peter

Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »

Bless, Father

Let me know if you need assistance.

That I pray for you goes without saying.

In Christ

Terry
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »

How did the Coptic language courses go?

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 04:37:32 AM »

Thanks for remembering Salpy.

Here is a report. It really could not have gone better..

--------

The Coptic Language Summer School held at King’s College, London over the 5th-8th September was a complete success and even exceeded the expectations of those who participated, and myself who organised it.

Over four very intensive days of study a group of eight students progressed with growing understanding and enthusiasm through the first third of Thomas Lambdin’s Introduction to Sahidic Coptic through the inspiring teaching of Dr. Carol Downer, one of the few experts in Coptic teaching in the UK at the present time.

The group of participants included a variety of university lecturers from different institutions, several PhD students, and a handful of independent students such as myself. The class turned out to be ideally matched and we progressed through the studies at a very fast pace while also working together so that no-one was left behind.

We were fortunate to be able to hold the Summer School at King’s College, London, at the Strand campus, and some of the faculty and students at King’s were participants on the course. The excellent cafeteria facilities on site meant that we did not have to spend time each day looking for somewhere to have lunch together. The room we used was just the right size and had a view out over the Strand.

Many of the group were already competent in a variety of other ancient languages, but thanks to the teaching ability of Dr. Carol Downer even those of us whose willingness to learn was greater than our present grasp of Sahidic Coptic were soon able to translate increasingly complex sentences. Working through the exercises, both together in the class, and on our own in the evening, meant that the lessons we were learning took root.

By the end of the intensive course we were even able to begin to read passages from the Scripture with some understanding and each participant was able to measure the real progress they had made. Having studied the first third of our text book many of the class asked if a second and even a third such intensive week of studies could be organised in January and at Easter so that a more complete grasp of Sahidic Coptic could be acquired over the course of the year.

Some of the comments I have received from participants are as follows:

I absolutely loved the course – the atmosphere was friendly and open, and I felt welcome at once even though I am no language expert. It was just the push I needed to get me interested and motivated to continue pursuing Sahidic Coptic, and the encouragement and support I received has increased my love for the language even further.

I enjoyed the course immensely – and hope that the suggested January follow-up actually comes to fruition.

I very much enjoyed the course and found it extremely useful. The intensity of four days together was, I think, just about right and the group size and dynamic just enough to spur me on, without intimidation that can sometimes come with language learning. Carol is a wonderful teacher, and there were plenty of course materials provided so, overall, I have no suggestions for improvement. I’d certainly want to take another 4 day course as we discussed.

Plans are now underway for a second week of study in early January which will consider the next 10 chapters of our text book.

From my own point of view, I am extremely pleased to have reached the end of the Coptic Language Summer School with a genuine grasp of the material we have covered. I shall certainly be reviewing it so that it isn’t lost, and will try to make use of it in the study of simple passages from Scripture. Having picked up Lambdin many times in the past, and put it down again because of difficulties studying on my own, I am very grateful that Dr Carol Downer has led me through these chapters.

Father Peter Farrington

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 06:35:25 AM »

praise God for His mercy
 Smiley
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »

It's time to update the blog with reports about missions activities during the Olympics.   Smiley  Or at the very least, Fr. Peter can act as our Orthodox correspondent for the Olympic games and tell us how everything is going over there.

Have you been to any of the games, Father?

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »

--Subscribed--

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »

father peter's church is quite far from London.
anyone trying to travel in london during the olympics is in trouble, as i found out yesterday, attempting to attend liturgy on the other side of the city to where i was staying.
3 1/2 hours in the car and no Holy Communion!
 Sad

but our friend appreciated the birthday card, and we were in time for cake
 Smiley

so basically those outside london are moving their activities closer to home during the olympics and those in central london are limiting their travel a bit.
may God bless those who share the light of the gospel with their neighbours.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »

Well now that the Olympics are over with, we can turn to more serious matters, such as the Loch Ness Monster:

Legend has it that the Loch Ness Monster was first sighted in the sixth century by an Irish monk while preaching by the lake. Now, a Scottish sailor who has spent the last 26 years of his life searching for the elusive creature, says he has the best picture yet of “Nessie.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/scottish-sailor-claims-best-picture-yet-loch-ness-100057921--abc-news-topstories.html

I had no idea that Nessie was first described by an Irish monk in the sixth century.  Is the monster something that people really talk about over there, or is it something that mostly just captures the imagination of Americans?  Does the Church have a position on it?  Could this be the sea monster that the Old Testament mentions?  Have any of our British Orthodox members actually seen it, or do any of you know anyone who has seen it?

Inquiring minds want to know.   Smiley

Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »

Hi Salpy

The monster is mentioned in St Adomban's 'Life of St Columba'. There is a Penguin edition and the whole thing is worth a read.

Nessie has been poo pooed to such a great extent that interest in her is dwindling. It's a pity but there is still a slight hope that she might be something so far unexplained by science.

I've never seen her but when I was up there I noticed a bus load of Italian tourists rush out of their bus and look up and down the loch as if.. We're all hoping!
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »

Tonight, Thursday 16th August, there is the monthly mid-week study of the Orthodox London mission at St George in the East, Shadwell, London.

All are welcome of course, and the study will be directed by His Eminence Metropolitan Seraphim

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »

the loch ness monster, sadly was unable to attend...
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

the loch ness monster, sadly was unable to attend...

Cheesy  That's way too bad.

One of these days someone from the study will have to start video taping it and putting it on youtube. 

It sounds like the mission is doing well.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »

Or are the podcasts recordings of those studies?  Or are they from other studies?

http://orthodoxfaith.podbean.com/2012/06/18/greater-than-all-the-herbs/

It seems the Orthodox Mission in Great Britain is really doing a lot of things.  I wonder how Fr. Peter does it all!

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

Hi Salpy

The monster is mentioned in St Adomban's 'Life of St Columba'. There is a Penguin edition and the whole thing is worth a read.

Nessie has been poo pooed to such a great extent that interest in her is dwindling. It's a pity but there is still a slight hope that she might be something so far unexplained by science.

I've never seen her but when I was up there I noticed a bus load of Italian tourists rush out of their bus and look up and down the loch as if.. We're all hoping!

So it was St. Columba who first saw Nessie!  I just googled it and found this image:

http://www.fisheaters.com/animals13.html

Very cool. 

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 06:21:39 AM »

Or are the podcasts recordings of those studies?  Or are they from other studies?

It seems the Orthodox Mission in Great Britain is really doing a lot of things.  I wonder how Fr. Peter does it all!

this is from a different study day.
there are several active british orthodox clergy, but father peter is very busy. this is why he doesn't answer every question on the website. abba seraphim, the metropolitan is also very busy and travels widely through the uk, in turkey, egypt etc.

as for the monster, i am sorry to disappoint u but 99% of british people don't believe in it!
the other 1% are currently in hospital, adjusting their meds...
 Wink
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »

Or are the podcasts recordings of those studies?  Or are they from other studies?

It seems the Orthodox Mission in Great Britain is really doing a lot of things.  I wonder how Fr. Peter does it all!

this is from a different study day.
there are several active british orthodox clergy, but father peter is very busy. this is why he doesn't answer every question on the website. abba seraphim, the metropolitan is also very busy and travels widely through the uk, in turkey, egypt etc.

Yes, it's amazing how much missionary work is being done in Great Britain.  It seems every time I look, there is something new.  

as for the monster, i am sorry to disappoint u but 99% of british people don't believe in it!
the other 1% are currently in hospital, adjusting their meds...
 Wink

Again, way too bad.   Sad  I'd like to think that Nessie is just hiding until another saint as holy as St. Columba comes to the lake and preaches there.  If Nessie is there, that would bring him out.  But I guess this is just whimsy on my part.   Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:46:18 PM by Salpy » Logged

Tags: missions British Orthodox Church Coptic Orthodox Church liturgical languages 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: