OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:27:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Candles at the begining of service  (Read 344 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »

Ok, so when people get a candle and light it at the beginning of service, is that done every time you attend church?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »

it's usually for when u have something specific to pray about.
eg. the last time i did it, a relative had just died and i wanted to pray for him and all the family.

the burning candle symbolises our prayers and requests to God and the prayers go up to God with the prayers of all the other people who light the candle next to yours so it shows we are all praying together as a family.
cs

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »

A lot of us do it every time we go to liturgy Smiley. My mother always takes my toddler to light a candle in front of the icon of the Virgin before church and prays with him - many families do the same.  I believe it's a lovely habit.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: