OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Father bless."  (Read 706 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: February 21, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »

Mods, please feel free to move if this should go somewhere else. Smiley

I've seen someone ask for a blessing from their Priest one time in the last year and a half.  It seemed to me that the request was not only asking for a blessing but a show of respect to the Priest. 

Could someone please go into this and explain what to do, when to do and why this is done?  I've never seen anyone do this in my parish - for the priest over our flock. . .is this just for visiting priests?

Thanks!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »

I've seen someone ask for a blessing from their Priest one time in the last year and a half.  It seemed to me that the request was not only asking for a blessing but a show of respect to the Priest. 

Could someone please go into this and explain what to do, when to do and why this is done?  I've never seen anyone do this in my parish - for the priest over our flock. . .is this just for visiting priests?

Thanks!
All you do is put the back of your right hand on your left palm, make a slight bow, and say father bless. He will bless you and then place his right hand into your right hand for you to kiss.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

I've seen someone ask for a blessing from their Priest one time in the last year and a half.  It seemed to me that the request was not only asking for a blessing but a show of respect to the Priest.  

Could someone please go into this and explain what to do, when to do and why this is done?  I've never seen anyone do this in my parish - for the priest over our flock. . .is this just for visiting priests?

Thanks!
All you do is put the back of your right hand on your left palm, make a slight bow, and say father bless. He will bless you and then place his right hand into your right hand for you to kiss.

Ack!! I have to hurry with this... but thank you!! Is there a specific time or reason when this should be done?  Am I NOT supposed to ask for a blessing from my priest?  (Sometimes I really need/want one!) Are there times when it is NOT appropriate to ask for a blessing?  Is this also a show of respect? 

kk.. .running off to get ready to work. . .thank you again!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:38:54 AM by quietmorning » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »

I do it when I am meeting him for the first time (entering his presence) and also when I leave (leaving his presence). It's a show of respect, for his hands hold the Body of Christ.

In its usage, it basically replaces the handshake (though I know several priests who would rather shake hands then give a blessing.)

But if a bishop is present, only ask the bishop's blessing!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:46:36 AM by bogdan » Logged
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

If he is wearing a cassock and a cross, I ask for his blessing.

If he is wearing  a cassock and no cross, I shake his hand unless I know he is a priest.

If he is wearing a white collar, I avoid him unless he is my father, in which case I hug him.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

I do it when I am meeting him for the first time (entering his presence) and also when I leave (leaving his presence). It's a show of respect, for his hands hold the Body of Christ.
This is correct, and the norm in my parish.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

If he is wearing  a cassock and no cross, I shake his hand unless I know he is a priest.

If he is wearing a white collar, I avoid him unless he is my father, in which case I hug him.

If he's wearing a t-shirt and shorts, I pretend he's wearing a cassock, ask for his blessing, and then pray that God would help him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:47:55 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »

Actually, I wondered about this.  My priest said that it was OK to shake hands when he is "out of uniform".  At first I found it difficult to not ask for a blessing from a person known to me to be an Orthodox priest, but I have become used to it.

If he is wearing  a cassock and no cross, I shake his hand unless I know he is a priest.

If he's wearing a t-shirt and shorts, I pretend he's wearing a cassock, ask for his blessing, and then pray that God would help him.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: